BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Forum Rules, Help, Announcements, & Testing > Forum News & Announcements

Forum News & Announcements Where we'll post permanent messages for all members.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Is this forum going away?

With the termination of the printed copy of Backwoods Home, is this forum still going to continue or not? My vote is definitely "YES Continue".

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 03-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I'm not sure what has happened but this site is not what it used to be.
Not many new posts and very little use.
Another similar site I visit is not as busy as it was but it still has a lot of new posts.
It will be sad if it ends.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:44 PM

I'd be amazed if they keep it up given the fact there is so little traffic.

If there is this little in the dead of Winter with many people snowed in, it will surely die when the weather gets nice enough to do other things outdoors.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:31 AM
Master Pontificator

I do not visit the past sundown or what ever extended portion of the forum, but the number of members visiting at any given time I check-in is normally less than ten, but the guests often number in excess of 50, and many times upward of 100. The posts are very few & often sporadic indeed.

I personally feel a number of forum members have left because of a select few, very abrasive members. I still drop by, but do not post that often myself anymore, for pretty much that same reason.

I originally though this forum would be an excellent medium in which to exchange ideas and bounce thoughts off the minds of others, somewhat akin to a personal extension of the magazine itself, but that certainly has not proven to be the case.

In the short time I have been coming here, the forum seems to be weathering and dying on the vine, so to speak. If the paperless magazine does not increase the traffic here, I would say this forum is just dying a slow death. Sad, but my thoughts on the forum.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:52 AM

I love this forum more than any I've participated in. . . and that's a bunch! I can't speak for everyone but the past several months have been jam packed with chores and stuff and doings and challenges so I've not been faithful to our merry band.

Personally, I've been buying the mag because of loyalty to the forum, not the other way around. I picked up Self Reliance as well. These are good people, worthy of support.

My gut feeling is that "prepping" has gone so main stream that there are now a plethora of sources out there, diluting the market.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

I've been coming here everyday for the last 13 yrs. Seen many changes and many folks come and go. Seen couples meet and marry! Seen folks start homesteads and evolve way beyond myself. Gained personal friends and had the pleasure of being in direct contact with many. It's been a special part of my life being involved with this place..

I've been involved with many forum type sites such as this and most are dwindling. Other social media sites with all of the bells and whistles and almost instant response seems to be more appealing, being the nature of humans..

My path of being off grid is not appealing to most. I fit the category but my approach didn't enthuse many, being the extreme frugalness of my design. I didn't have many followers but I did promote the cause and fed many dreams..

I'd hate to see it go but I understand business. I survived the blight that seriously damaged this site some years back and fought with Admin to allow me to assist in the battle against it. I'm proud to be a part of this place in the level that I am. Perhaps I wasn't the most intimidating force but I wasn't shy to step on wrong..

I'll ride the surf until it ends up on the shore..
*Robert Frost*
Old 03-19-2017, 02:26 PM

I wish I had discovered this forum earlier. I have been to too many forums that were simply toxic. The last one before this, I quit in tears. I didn't say goodbye or delete my account or fight with anyone... just stopped posting and never looked back.

I don't know how realistic this is, but maybe if this forum closes, the members can connect on Facebook... maybe set up a group? Just an idea.

Another place where I love hanging out is Backyardchickens.com, but it's huge and difficult to forge personal connections in.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFlocksMom View Post
I wish I had discovered this forum earlier. I have been to too many forums that were simply toxic. The last one before this, I quit in tears. I didn't say goodbye or delete my account or fight with anyone... just stopped posting and never looked back.

I don't know how realistic this is, but maybe if this forum closes, the members can connect on Facebook... maybe set up a group? Just an idea.

Another place where I love hanging out is Backyardchickens.com, but it's huge and difficult to forge personal connections in.
I'd love to see a facebook group! I've looked for one before and thought about creating it, but thought I'd wait to see if a mod would.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:20 PM

My participation here has gone down considerably since moving to WI. I only have web access via WiFi once a week when we go in to town to do laundry.

My impression is that sites have more traffic when there's many less experienced people asking questions that the more experienced members can answer. It seems that here most members are of the more experienced category: we all already know the answer to common questions like "Which end of the screwdriver do I hit with my hammer?"
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
"Which end of the screwdriver do I hit with my hammer?"
LOL!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant20 View Post
I'd love to see a facebook group! I've looked for one before and thought about creating it, but thought I'd wait to see if a mod would.
Same here. I thought it would be a little presumptuous if I created a FB group; hope one of the older members will.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Master Pontificator

there are already a lot of facebook groups, though in my experience they lack any coherent structure or intellegence. often times the questions are repetative "what does off grid mean" "show me pictures of your chicken coops" "what kind of spider is this" "how do i deter raccoons from the chicken coop without killing them". its very fast paced and repetative as if collectivly nobody is retaining the information or looking for previos incarnations of the same question. unfortunatly as an accessable medium its easy to use on phones and other devices. its also full of irrelevant nonsense and spam. i think its favored more by millenials and their exposure to on demand answers. the fast paced technology has been proven (in studies) that people using that stuff are thinking faster and proccess infornmation faster than ever before, however they fail to retain information, they need to keep the information flowing, unlike older generations who retain information but take longer to proccess it.

i too noticed that activity has dropped on the forum substantially, i have had to resort to the facebook sites to keep winter boredom down
Old 03-20-2017, 07:04 PM

I don't have a Facebook account.
I had one but I found it to be tiresome and a big waste of time so I deleted it.
Way too much drama for me.
My wife is on Facebook so she can stay up to date with everything going on in her family.
If I want information about someone I call them, or in the case of the younger people I text them or I would never get in contact at all.
My kids don't answer their phone just their text messages.
Drives me nuts.

I think for all intents and purposes this site is already dead .
Most of the posts on here are talking about this and little else.
I have no solutions on how it can be revived so I'm no help.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallFlocksMom View Post

I am on a coupe of the big forums, and it is the personal connection bit that Is the best thing about this forum.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 AM

Anne an I communicate every day on facebook. We are in a couple of groups that she started. Other friends are there.
One of those groups is :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/739702022852279/

Yes, there are many other forums and outlets for sharing information.
This place is dependent on the many that are looking for "how to" and finding it here. It's true there are many other sources. That's part of it.
I'm not here posting nearly as much, but I do check in for new posts once or twice a week.
If I had some major projects going on. I'd share that, but the self reliance is rather small while I'm doing the day to day job.

I hope this forum lives a while longer.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 AM
Master Pontificator

I certainly hope the forum does continue, but it definitely needs more usage from the members. I surely would like to see greater participation on the forum to insure its survival!

We do not do facebook, so that is not an option for me.

I normally check in each night to see if anything interesting has been posted or a thread of interest has been added to. Sometimes it will be three to four days or longer between new posts, and even longer still between new threads. Then occasionally two or three new threads will be started in one day.

Sometimes the dialog is great! Then at other times not so good. But the forum is assuredly a great asset to its members.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 AM

Facebook is not an option for me either.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:25 PM
Master Pontificator

I only check in once in a while.....so I may be part of the problem.
Forums need input and work like anything else worth while.

Then again on the other hand...I finding support from administration a bit slow.
This is my old machine.....and it remembers my sign in and password.
My new machine does have that so can't sigh in.....and I don't remember it either.

Going thru on the password reset...says a new one will be e-mailed to me...nothing...several times.
'That lack of support may have something to do with this as well.

So when this machine does down....I guess I done as well.....

I can recall the demise of the MEN forum year back....sputtered,...then just gone.
Some here may have been on that as well...was a blow.

I don't do face book, or twit or other media....so I guess another dinosaur will melt down.

Been fun folks....
Old 04-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote.. "Going thru on the password reset...says a new one will be e-mailed to me...nothing...several times.
'That lack of support may have something to do with this as well."

Just so ya'll know, I don't have any power in this function. That's an Admin function and I don't have that key. Oliver was always on it!
*Robert Frost*
Old 04-01-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
I only check in once in a while.....so I may be part of the problem.
Forums need input and work like anything else worth while.

Then again on the other hand...I finding support from administration a bit slow.
This is my old machine.....and it remembers my sign in and password.
My new machine does have that so can't sigh in.....and I don't remember it either.

Going thru on the password reset...says a new one will be e-mailed to me...nothing...several times.
'That lack of support may have something to do with this as well.

So when this machine does down....I guess I done as well.....

I can recall the demise of the MEN forum year back....sputtered,...then just gone.
Some here may have been on that as well...was a blow.

I don't do face book, or twit or other media....so I guess another dinosaur will melt down.

Been fun folks....
On your old computer.
Depending on what browser you use you can go to tools, options or settings and then security.
Find a list of login names and then click show passwords.
You may be able to find your forgotten password there.