BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Where does it end up?

I'm posting this link, not as an advertisement, but as a story.
Rock Springs House

If I could get them to accept my check, I'd be up there before winter.

I watched the video and nearly wept as I saw a family's life long dream and adventure coming to a close.

I'm approaching one of the birthdays that end in zero -- those are supposed to be mile stones. We've been in our little place for all of our married life (save a few years doing service in a children's home). Our caboose kid is going out the door in a month or two so, after 8 younguns, we're about to become empty nesters.

Our little place was barely big enough for us but since the kids were spread out over 25 years we never had them all living in our 1,100sf home at the same time.

So, now we're downsizing, planning to live in "tiny" accommodations, or on the road, or who knows what. I doubt our little place is going to be attractive to any of the brood, but with the economy still on a trajectory of collapse (in spite of Trump's respite) their tastes may change.

I doubt we're unique in this outlook. How about y'all? What's your next step?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 AM

Still building and planning here, so we are currently on a different path.

After raising your Children, seeing them off on their own path, I wish you the best of luck on your next journey.

Do what you can to enjoy the next steps, and be satisfied that you have accomplished all you have.

Wander on, stay put, or whatever your heart tells you ... You have deserved it.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
I'm posting this link, not as an advertisement, but as a story.
Rock Springs House

If I could get them to accept my check, I'd be up there before winter.
What do you mean Winter? I could be there before Spring begins.

It is a beautiful place. But the climate & solitude would be the greatest things from my perspective.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:41 AM

I, too, am getting up in years. Our last child (of 6) just left the house and is getting married in July. We have been here since 1992. The wife has mentioned selling, but I told her we should not sell unless we were leaving Alaska and she is not ready to do that yet. We were in the wilderness when we arrived, but development is closing in. We couldn't see any neighbors when we bought the house, but we have folks next door through the woods now, and a house across the little lake that is our emergency water supply (and fire protection). As the "old man" said, I can't remember a time when I was so disheartened about the country and the folks controlling it. I cannot even watch local news any more.

This forum does seem to be dying, and I find that sad too.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Do what makes you happy and don't look back.

I've lived my life under that rule ever since I was 7 yrs old. It goes back to the words of wisdom my father told me when I came back to the dugout after striking out and started to wimper a little. "Who cares if you struck out once?" he said. "A hundred yrs from now no one will even know you were alive, let alone struck out." (He's the same father who told me to "suffer in silence" after hitting me between the eyes with a line drive, flattening my nose a few months earlier. I haven't had a sense of smell since then.)

A WWII vet, another of his wise observations was "There are no atheists in a fox hole under bombardment." This country is just one good major catastrophe away from recovering its sense of values and returning to the principles of rugged individualism & measured cooperation that made us great.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:27 PM
Master Pontificator

We are also looking at that time in life when the kids are out of school. Our youngest is graduating this June, but due to his autism may continue in a special ed school to help him transition into life after school with job training etc. Our oldest is 19 and still living at home but working 2 good jobs. We know we can't go far as hubby's business is firmly located here and it wouldn't be easy to move it. As bad as I want out of here (long story) the place is paid for and I can easily run my business from home as we are located on a highway.

Not sure what we will do in the next few years, but with our parents all living within an hour of us, we won't be going far. They are going to need our help and although I have 3 siblings to help care for my folks, hubby's only brother wrote everyone off a long time ago, so the care of his folks will fall on us. So we are kind of stuck, at least in this area, which wouldn't be too bad if we weren't on the highway.

With the political and financial climate what it is, I'm thinking we may stay put for a few more years and see how things shake out.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:43 PM

Default Homeplace

I have been on my homestead since 1971. Two years ago we finally got our last child and her husband moved into their own place. This was the first time my home had ever been child free.

My 13 acres face a 50 acre field, I am not going anywhere.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM

We just relocated last fall and this should be our last move before the boneyard. Moved back to an area we are from to be closer to aging relatives but just began to realize we are kinda becoming the aging relatives. The property we got is an undeveloped piece of woodland so large scale farming is no longer an option unless we clear cut a beautiful piece of property. When we found this place it was everything we were not looking for, wrong lay out wrong type of property wrong location in proximity to where we wanted to be on and on but we decided to look at it anyway then it hit us we are getting older do I really want to work 8-10 hours a day and come home and tend to a dozen varieties of animals and spend my evenings bent over picking peas till dark or cutting grass and somewhere we decided no. We had been doing things the hard way and that was our own fault. now I just mow the little bit of grass to where the woods start, garden on a small scale maybe a quarter acre if that and enjoy the birds and squirrels. The hubs has a place to trap and hunt versus a place to plow and cus. I can spend hours wondering through the woods and not get tired of it. yup pretty sure this is the last one. I can't imagine those old folks leaving that property if that is where they are happy. good grief with the state the medical system is in I would rather die at home of natural causes than in a hospital fighting it all the way.