BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Aetna's persistence is annoying

Do you have a Medicare Advantage Plan? I signed up with Aetna about a year ago. I have it just because. I don't have any pressing health needs that a change of location and living conditions won't cure.

I'm my other life, we had coverage through my husband's employer. Whatever company we had never bothered us. No phone calls, letters or surprise visits.

Aetna calls and sends me letters every 6 months to encourage me to allow a coordinator to get up close and personal about my health, needs for care, etc.

I've told them repeatedly I'm not interested. I'm thinking of switching companies but I won't if they all do this.

My last doctor's visit was in November 2016 and it was so bad I filed a grievance with Aetna. They sent me a letter saying they couldn't make contact with the doctor, so no action was taken. The fraud continues.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Humana is worse. Every two weeks or less I get a worthless postcard of Spam from them about how I should be living my life. If you switch don't switch to Humana. LOL

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 04-04-2017, 06:38 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

It may be linked to Obamacare, as there were parts of that that required monitoring of "preventive measures" that were mandated to be covered by insurance, such as colonoscopies and recommended vaccinations. Don't know if the calls are linked to that or not. We have BS/BC in addition to Medicare. They bothered my wife for a year or so regarding a chronic issue that has been well-controlled. She kept telling them she didn't want to be bothered and that everything was well-controlled. Eventually (after about a year), they gave up and quit calling.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1gman View Post
Humana is worse. Every two weeks or less I get a worthless postcard of Spam from them about how I should be living my life. If you switch don't switch to Humana. LOL
Same here when I had my Mother's care. Every week something about her health and way she could do better without meds or different ones.

Last year SSDD for the wife's coverage. A relentless barrage of crap just like car and home insurance.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
It may be linked to Obamacare, as there were parts of that that required monitoring of "preventive measures" that were mandated to be covered by insurance, such as colonoscopies and recommended vaccinations. Don't know if the calls are linked to that or not. We have BS/BC in addition to Medicare. They bothered my wife for a year or so regarding a chronic issue that has been well-controlled. She kept telling them she didn't want to be bothered and that everything was well-controlled. Eventually (after about a year), they gave up and quit calling.
Stop being stupid.. Medicare has been Medicare since the 1960s.. yeesh.. as Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

EVERY insurance company, be they individual, small group, large group, Medicare, or no-business-being-in-the-<insert market> loves to stick their nose into your life. If contacted by snail mail, ignore them. If they call, state you have no way of verifying that they are who they claim to be and hang up.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Here's an interesting development, the local 24/7 emergency care facility here is not an Aetna in network provider but every other location they have in the metro area 35 miles away is. Since there isn't any other option here, Aetna says they will provide coverage. They could not tell me why dozens of St. David's locations are in network, but this one is excluded.

No wonder people in rural areas are sicker, due sooner and are depressed. The medical care is very spotty and expensive.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:30 PM

1. companies have set rates they pay for medical procedures . Many doctors - hospitals - clinics choose not to accept those rates . That's why they aren't in a network like Aetna or BCBS. It has been that way for decades and has nothing To do with Obamacare. Most accept the rates on the premise they will get more customers being part of a big network. But in rural area those same doctors -hospital and clinics have a finite customer base - thus no incentive to accept lower rates. It's not the insurance company that makes that choice it is your local doctor or hospital making the decision . Thier view is my customers have no place else to go so why do I need to join a network.

But insurance companies still cover out of network medical care but at a higher rate - because the provider charges you more .

2. Concerning the barrage of contact - email - phonecalls - letter urging you to more healthy living .. that simply smart business strategy to them. Lots cheaper to have healthy customers laying premiums than sick ones collection benefits . Small investment on thier part with big returns. Helps keep rates down from customers viewpoint. Again nothing to do with ACA.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 04-25-2017 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
1. companies have set rates they pay for medical procedures . Many doctors - hospitals - clinics choose not to accept those rates . That's why they aren't in a network like Aetna or BCBS. It has been that way for decades and has nothing To do with Obamacare. Most accept the rates on the premise they will get more customers being part of a big network. But in rural area those same doctors -hospital and clinics have a finite customer base - thus no incentive to accept lower rates. It's not the insurance company that makes that choice it is your local doctor or hospital making the decision . Thier view is my customers have no place else to go so why do I need to join a network.
For the most part that's probably true, but we had a situation where the insurance company made the choice.

A string of doctors offices connected with a local hospital got in a disagreement with BCBS. Seems they wanted more then all the other doctors and hospitals in the area, and couldn't reach an agreement with BCBS.

So BCBS stepped up and said we'll no longer cover these doctors. My mom had no problem because medicare covered her office calls. But my sister had her insurance through her work and it was BCBS, so she had to find another doctor.

This lasted close to a year, and during that time whenever I took my mom to the doctor for an appointment it was like a ghost town with no one there and no waiting in line. Once it was over it was back to waiting in line again.