BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Cashless Business Anyone?

Has anyone encountered a totally cashless business?

Midway USA is now a totally cashless business. They will not accept absolutely nothing, except electronic funds.

Cashless Society, One World Order, Gun Control, Financial Control, Mind Control is all cut from the same cloth.

With their round-up program, Midway USA has been a big contributor, actually collector, for the NRA. However with them being the first 100% Cashless business I have encountered, and leading the cashless charge in America, I now wonder how many other organizations they may have been supporting like one world order, mind control, etc.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Saw a piece on the news about a restaurant, I think in CA, that will only take plastic. Sorry, but as long as I can, I won't do business with someone that doesn't take legal tender.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrubbieLady View Post
Saw a piece on the news about a restaurant, I think in CA, that will only take plastic. Sorry, but as long as I can, I won't do business with someone that doesn't take legal tender.
Same for me.. legal tender is legal tender. My use of plastic falls under a few categories (and plastic meaning credit, not debit - ugh, I really hate debit cards).

Smart businesses welcome cash.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:29 AM
Master Pontificator

A credit card opens doors, a debit card brings multiple hoops to jump through. Example: a few years ago I started a thread here about the great difficulty I had in trying to rent a car with my debit card. The rental car company said they accepted them, but it was a nightmare and I couldn't do it.

Now I have a credit card and when I recently went to rent a car, it was a very pleasant experience. I was given an extra 20 miles free because it was my birthday and they went out of their way to be nice.

Many years ago I was surprised to see that an apartment complex had a sign displayed stating they did not accept cash for security reasons. Plastic only.

I haven't written a check in years.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Master Pontificator

Plastic is nice and convenient, but when the power is down, your account is compromised or the bank just freezes the wrong account, What you gonna do?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKB View Post

Many years ago I was surprised to see that an apartment complex had a sign displayed stating they did not accept cash for security reasons.

I'd tell 'em it's my policy to only use cash-- for security reasons.

I only use a credit card to buy gas: I refuse to stand in line waiting behind all the fools buying cigarettes and lotto cards.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjr View Post
Plastic is nice and convenient, but when the power is down, your account is compromised or the bank just freezes the wrong account, What you gonna do?
If you can't access your money within 2 minutes at midnight, you don't have it. People I know who have investments think they're rich but they're not.

The best thing to do is what many a grandma has done. Stash your cash. My grandma put it in a canning jar and buried it in the backyard.

After paying bills and buying food, etc all that's left in my checking account is what I can afford to lose.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:34 PM

-came across this passage today by Thoreau in his The Main Woods (~1850):

"At Crocker's log hut... seven miles from the Point, one of the party commenced distributing a store of small, cent picture books...and also newspapers, more or less recent, than which nothing can be more acceptable to a backwoods people. It was really an important item in our outfit, and, at times, was the only currency that would circulate."

If and when TSHTF, neither plastic nor coin of the realm may have any intrinsic value.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:50 PM

Since they do not have a storefront that people can walk into then what other way is there to purchase? It is a catalog type of store. Unless you live within driving distance then you can pick up an order at their warehouse and then yes only Credit Cards. No Federal Law or State Law banning only Credit cards in Missouri.

Also helps big brother keep track of who is buying what....

Use a Gift card (visa) and they can't track your purchase except you have provide that on the order form you use at Midway.

Last edited by Bones; 04-26-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:04 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Since they do not have a storefront that people can walk into then what other way is there to purchase?
Checks, Money Orders & Certified Funds are the three broad categories, and there are multiple options within each category.

There are probably others out there, but it just so happened Midway USA, was the first establishment I encountered which refuses mail orders and any payment except electronic funds. The last time I had order from Midway was in 2012, and they accepted my mail order then.

I only referenced their refusal to accept anything except electronic funds, but the letter they returned with my order and money order as payment, stated they do not accept mail orders and any type payment except electronic funds. They just lost a $300+ order and I wound up saving a few buck when I replaced my order with Brownell's who gladly accepts mail orders and payment in other than electronic funds.

I never send a personal check, since I do not wish the order held up until the check clears, so I normally use money orders or certified checks drawn on our bank, but Natchez Shooters Supply advertises they gladly accept your personal check.

As a side note, I must say, I actually prefer to purchase locally, but some things just can not be obtained in our local markets.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:30 AM

Default credit/debit

Never had a problem using my debit as a credit card. My bank treats it the same on the vendors side. I do not use checks because in the event someone steals or compromises the CC/DC my bank is great about catching it for one and never had an issued with getting funds restored. If something happens you cancel the card and wait for a new one. If you write a check, that can pass through several hands and your banks routing/account number is on the check. If the vendor requires your drivers license and DOB (and they usually do for checks over $25.00) now someone has the routing and account number and enough personal info on that check to wreck you for a while. You can't just cancel the card you have to cancel/close the account, open a new one, wait for the checks you wrote on the old account to clear, hope your bank has a system in place to only hold that account open with the funds you need to clear those checks without letting any non-authorized payments to go through it and on and on. This will frazzle your nerves at the least and be a big pain to work through. I like cash it makes me give more thought to a purchase and there is no worry that 2 weeks later some mystery purchase will turn up on my bank statement. When we bought our home the bank we used said that we were not allowed to have any "mattress money". This annoyed me. What they meant was that if you are doing any kind of financing or mortgage you have to account for every cent of the down payment. It had to pass through a bank. You can't show up at closing with $25k in all or part cash. They wanted it documented where it came from. I think this is crap. People save in different ways and it made me feel like they were saying if you have cash you stole it or are a drug dealer and the only people responsible enough to handle money are banks. GRRRRR
Old 04-27-2017, 01:12 PM

It all has to do with BigBrother. They want to know how much you have, where you got it from and what you're doing with it. In fact, you're supposed to file a 1099 with the IRS for any payment of $500 or more so the recipient can't hide it.

Not only do they want the tax money to pay for the loyalty of their bureaucratic shock troops, but they want to know by their purchases who's the potential troublemakers.

oops--I have to go now. I wonder why all those black helicopters are hovering over my place here?
Old 04-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Master Pontificator

We use checks for church. medical bills, taxes and our accountant. We use the debit card for everything else. We do not own a credit card (we got in over our heads once and never again). We are starting to use cash more and more. We have had a few problems with the debit card but it was not our fault. It only happens at Wal-Mart which is why I don't like Wal-Mart. They refused our card 2 different times for transactions about 100.00 or less and we had more than 1000.00 in our account. Later we found out Wal-Mart did that to many people from our bank.