BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Finding Ammo

I have been stunned at trying to finding ammo.

Gander Mountain declared bankruptcy and there supply went down.

We finally got a Cabela's and the selection was out of this world. Now Bass Pro Shops bought Cabela's and the ammo has shrunk by 3/4 the stock they use to have.

Walmart and Mejiers now have ammo and plenty of just not my brands.

Mail order you seem to have to order $100 or more for free shipping and their prices are not as good.

The local gun shops are low and what they have are expense.

What do others do for wanting to buy a box at a time? I use Federal and was suggested I use Hornady. Federal leaves my guns the cleanest.

Thanks
Old 04-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

The ammo shortage has let up around here.
Most places have just about everything on the shelves.
.22 in bulk is still scares but 50 and 100 packs are available usually around $.06 a round
It seems to be different in other parts of the country and that baffles me some.
Why here and not there?
Maybe find someone to go halves on a bulk order.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:30 PM

Ammo is inexpensive and plentiful here.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:15 AM

What ammunition are you looking for?

I have no trouble finding any ammunition around here. Even .22 has come back to a degree, although I am not buying it anymore as I don't need any.

These days though, I'm shooting my muzzleloaders more than anything, so ammunition is as easy as melt some lead, pour molten lead into mold, let cool, then go shooting. I have enough lead to last me for decades.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickathome View Post
What ammunition are you looking for?
Looking for Federal 9mm, 38 Special and .380 auto. Plus Hornady .380 FTX.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
You're limiting yourself with the Federal product requirement. Midway USA has free shipping on orders over $150. Bite the bullet and place an order.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Master Pontificator

You might want to check out sportsman's guide at
www.sportsmansguide.com. They will give free shipping with a 49+$ order right now.

I buy mostly .223 and 7.62, but they sale a whole range of handgun cartridges.

They have Federal 9mm for 11.39 a box right now.

They have Hornady .380 FTX for 18.09.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Master Pontificator

Thank you for your great responses.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:33 PM

I buy quite a bit from Sportsmans Guide--including ammo
another good on line source is cheaper than dirt, although since they are Texas based, I have to pay them sales tax, while with SG I don't

JVC
Old 04-21-2017, 06:10 PM

Try this http://www.luckygunner.com/ or this https://www.palmettostatearmory.com/
Old 04-22-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I can't speak for the .380 FTX, but the other loadings you mention are easily obtained around here. I'm surprised you cannot find any... Our Wal-Mart and local mom and pop store has all that stuff every day of the week.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 PM

Update around here using Walmart as the bellwether: Most stores have full shelves of all the basics. I use Winchester white box at the range and have started picking up a 200 rd range pack for every trip out to the pistol range. I get my 762x39 stuff online, usually from the Ammo Guy.

.22LR remains scarce at my particular store because there's a guy who knows the schedule and just uses WM to restock his gun store. Other WM seem to have .22LR if you're not picky about brand (I focus on CCI MiniMag).

I don't get carried away with my ammo dump. I figure that if the system deteriorates to the point that I have to do that much shooting to survive, or if bullets become currency, I probably won't last long enough to use up what I have anyway.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Master Pontificator

Our local Wal-Mart is starting to restock their shelves more and more. Trying to find someone to help is impossible. This Wal-Mart is located near the city with people who have money. The Wal-Mart located about 15 miles west of me has more ammo and better prices. I am now only buying ammo with cash . Someone told me these places traces the credit/debit purchases. Buying only a few boxes at a time .
Old 05-05-2017, 01:58 AM

Default AMMO

I used to work at Walmart, until Oct 2016, and had a real hard time getting .22 anything in. Before I left the local Mom & Pop stores were, and still, are carrying .22 almost if not all the time, I know since I now work at one of them. And this is N Florida with a lot of folks hunting and fishing most of the year (hunting year round on hogs and coyotes). And every time I get to Walmart I check on .22 and it is still amongst the missing. They don't even have price tags up for it. Before I left the buyers would send word that they "KNEW" how much we needed and would send us what we "NEEDED". Now the Moms and Pops might charge more, but why keep waiting on Wally World and not get it when for a few cents more it is at the Mom and Pops. And there are people that will wait for Wally World, but that just seems dumb to me.

I'm Living My Dream! Three Horses, two Dogs and a Bit of Land!
Old 05-05-2017, 03:31 PM
Master Pontificator

a friend of mine has a son who works for wallocaust, they get 20 boxes of 22 ammo in every 2 weeks, same time on the shelf, a few people time it so they can buy all 20 boxes, claiming they are stocking up for home protection. you can buy all the 12 gauge ammo you want but these same 5 or 6 hoarders are taking all the 22 ammo in a 150 mile radius. seems to me if they were stocking 22s for home protection they must have a machine gun for them, otherwise a 12 gauge with buckshot would be worth more than a semi auto with a full mag of 22s. I don't even bother with a 22 anymore. just spend my money on shotguns and ammo, and tinker with home reloading (homemade primer and powder to reuse spent shells) nd custom loads. a slug takes a deer easy enough, buckshot and turkey shot make short work of coyote and similar size critters, and bird shot works on anything the size of a chicken or smaller.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 PM

Default AMMO feel your pain

I'm a dealer and imagine having your long time trusted supplies dry up then charge you 4 times as much for the same milspec stuff. I always tell folks, when you find a brand that shoots well, buy a case of it.
I know the initial cost is a tad high, & when you see Remington Core locks go from 7.99 a box to 18.00 it is a wise investment.

If Free shipping is offered on 100$ order get your friends together, make em pay up front; then place the order.

I can't offer FREE shipping an avg case of cartridges is a clean 20$ bill on the low side.

Quote:
I have been stunned at trying to finding ammo.

Gander Mountain declared bankruptcy and there supply went down.

We finally got a Cabela's and the selection was out of this world. Now Bass Pro Shops bought Cabela's and the ammo has shrunk by 3/4 the stock they use to have.

Walmart and Mejiers now have ammo and plenty of just not my brands.

Mail order you seem to have to order $100 or more for free shipping and their prices are not as good.

The local gun shops are low and what they have are expense.

What do others do for wanting to buy a box at a time? I use Federal and was suggested I use Hornady. Federal leaves my guns the cleanest.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 07:47 PM

I stopped buying .22 a while ago. I stocked up just as the shortages started, and would buy some if I found it. Now if I see some, it stays on the shelf for the next guy.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:42 PM

It has become very plentiful here in Louisiana. 22lr and 22 WMR are available at Academy, WalMart and Cabela's in large quantities. And at a reasonable price. And online with free shipping at Cabela's. 22lr is about $.06 a round at Walmart and Cabela's. That is the cheapest I have seen in a while.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 06-27-2017, 10:17 PM

Living where we do, places like Walmart are up to an hours drive, one way.
I can't afford to buy $50 - $100 or more online, but the Ace Hardware in town stocks ammo, mainly Remington and Winchester because that's what their customers want.

The Ace in the next town down the line, 20 miles, sells both ammo and guns.

1st Brigade, 5th Infantry Division (Mech) "We Will"
Quang Tri Province, RVN 1969-70
Old 06-29-2017, 04:14 AM

Default Ammo finds

The local Academy has a great stock of .22LR and hunting and plinking centerfire rifle, pistol am shotgun rounds. As I stocked up just before the ammo drought I had what I needed to make it awhile. Now I see match ammo going for less than standard old technology hunting rounds. Seeing Remington Core-Loks priced higher than Hornady match rounds blows my mind.

On the bright side, I do find reasonable deals on my fresh, not reloaded, match ammo at Academy over Bass Pro or Cabelas and certainly over Walmart or local small shops.