BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-29-2017, 09:18 PM

Default Jelly making problems?

Anyone had any issues with Sure-gel?
Making Dewberry jelly and jam. Both big failure. I got angry because this is not the first time this has happened. After stomping around the kitchen all mad I started researching what I could have done to cause this problem. it turned out to be syrup not jelly not jam. I don't need syrup. I decided it was possible the Sure-gel failed me. I have had this same thing happen with Dewberries before but only one batch. Sent the Mister to the store for more pectin and he went to Krogger. Used to be (don't know if it still is) that the main ingredients on boxes came first graduating down to the minor on the labels. He compared the Krogger store brand and its 2nd ingredient was pectin with citric acid in third. Sure-gels box was just the opposite meaning they have more citric acid in the box that pectin. I re-did the batches which agitated the fertilizer out of me but one must do what one must do. Sure enough with the Krogger store brand they came out perfect. What is up with Sure-gel???
I had 4 batches fail from 4 different boxes bought at different times with different expiration dates so it can't be that they were all from the same bad batch. I do not usually shop at Krogger, not one around here but he stopped in the city on his way home from work. That is the only brand I am using from now on. It's half the price too.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:57 PM

I e had problems with the Sure-Jel brand too. I like the Ball brand myself but have used Ms Wages with good results. The Surejel just doesn't sit up as well and if used need to use double the amount to get the results I wanted. . . just a waste of money in my opinion
Old 05-26-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danil54grl View Post
I e had problems with the Sure-Jel brand too. I like the Ball brand myself but have used Ms Wages with good results. The Surejel just doesn't sit up as well and if used need to use double the amount to get the results I wanted. . . just a waste of money in my opinion
Thanks for the feedback. I knew I wasn't crazy. I guess I will keep buying the Krogger brand or whatever I can find. Don't think I have ever seen Ms. Wages in this part of the country.