BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Low labor strawberries

https://www.noursefarms.com/

Nourse Farms has a HUGE amount of strawberry info: when to fertilize, what they need and how they need far more potassium and potash than nitrogen, how applying calcium gives better berries, etc etc etc. And, they have CD's on growing through plastic.

Well I have weed barrier laid down in my garden already, and they have a tool they use to plant right through it, and with the kids grown I no longer need as much garden as I have. So, I have ordered 100 plants and that tool and a CD, so this summer I will grow LOTS and LOTS of strawberries. I will still raise everything that I have always raised, I just will put berries on the strip that I was going to remove as I figured it was no longer needed.

Planting their way takes just about 15 seconds per plant. I might get the entire 100 in in a single day.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Master Pontificator

I need to put in a new strawberry bed myself. Had a lot of success with them in the past then some health issues got in the way and they were overrun with weeds. We moved the bed into the garden itself in the fall, but I need to order some plants and get those in. I'm a little behind again this year, but what else is new!

I want to put in some raspberries and blue berries as well. They freeze well and I eat fruit in my yogurt every morning and nothing tastes better than home grown. Not to mention the financial savings!
Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Master Pontificator

Well, Terri, thanks for the kick in the pants that I needed. This morning I ordered strawberry, blue berry and raspberry plants. They are due to ship on 4/24 and 2 days in transit, then I'll be figuring out exactly where I want to plant them.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:36 PM

This is a wonderful time of year to plant: it keeps raining every few days!
Old 04-16-2017, 02:27 PM

Thanks for that reference site, Terri. Their recommended planting spacing is a little different than the recommendations of the place from which I bought mine last year, I too planted strawberries, blueberries and raspberries last year.-- looking forward to the first harvest--hope the #$%* birds leave me a few!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Got my strawberries, blue berries and raspberries in and now they are all doing well. Every plant made it, didn't lose a single one! Even though the raspberry canes lived in my fridge for 2 1/2 weeks until I had their bed ready and the rain stopped.

Can't wait to harvest these goodies in a couple years!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Master Pontificator

My strawberries are a mess...they are so overgrown. I planted them the year before last. The second year they gave us a good crop, but this past year almost nothing, they are so overgrown. Not with weeds, it's the strawberry plants themselves, they have gone mad. I have not had good health the past couple of years and I haven't had the energy to thin them out. And because they are now growing so densely there is no way to really fertilize them either. I hope I can thin them before winter this year. I at least need to mow them down, for sure.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:04 PM

My strawberries are multiplying like crazy also. They're in a less than ideal, temporary location now and I would have preferred to move them earlier this fall, but we're still building and there's a 40 yd pile of dirt to be backfilled later sitting on the spot I've got picked out. I'm not about to move that pile twice.

Is there a 4-H chapter near you, Ma, that might have a young volunteer or two to help you with your project?
Old 10-08-2017, 04:09 PM
Master Pontificator

Not a bad idea...I do have an 18 year old who could help me too, but unfortunately she hates gardening with a passion. I literally have no idea where she got that from!