BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Master Pontificator

65 degrees, heavy clouds, spitting rain

spent all day pounding ceday fence posts with a homemade mallet (big piece of elm with an ash handle, lots of weight and surface area). clearing the remaining debris, hammering in insulators and running wire. been at it off and on for weeks but yesterday was the big push and after 12 or 13 hours hard labor i had the wire hot and the cattle loose in the new, bigger, pasture.

my 11 week old buff orpingtons don't have the sense to roost, they huddle together on the floor of the coop at night. the same age bantams have roosted sinse they had a place to roost, but the BOs just dont seem to get it. nor have they tried to go out the chicken door, they just run around the same coop space. the 5 gallon drinker doesn't hold water so the water all leaked out and soaked the floor, was concerned for the wet conditions and wanted them to get sun, better air, and forage hoping they would learn to use the chicken door to get out once they know what outside the coop.

well they also lack the common sense that the universe blessed the lemmings with. their first day out they decided to keep foraging and running around, even when it was completly dark out and all the other chickens were back in the coop. i managed to use a flashlight and get most of them in the coop (they wanted to keep partying and foraging all night), 2 or 3 were still outside and were determined not to go in the coop. last i heard of them was some terrified squaking around 1 am as a raccoon or something was ripping them appart. if was a minor loss since i paid $4 for each not more than 2 months ago, but 2 hours with a flashlight proved they were too determined to stay out, and they were too stupid to live.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:51 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Yes, I read a post from someone in Venezuela who said that the neighbors vegetable garden had been robbed.

If SHTF here, I think I will go to mixing root vegetables like carrots with edible flowers, and hope that people do not realize the carrots are not ornamentals. I would also lock up my chickens and bees.
Had a Dutch friend who was teeny-bopper age in WWII. She said they survived on nothing but turnips for two yrs and her pa slept days because he had to stay up nights to guard the field.

Population dense cities will be treacherous in a similar situation here: no way to grow your own; if deliveries stop, big trouble for a huge number of people.

Unfortunately, I'm still just one tank full of gas from Chicago.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Weather here has been hot and humid, but after heavy showers on Friday and Saturday morning, this morning dawned cooler and clear. I was out in the garden early to make use of this beautiful weather as I know by tomorrow the humidity will return. Lots of weeding in the rain Friday night. My son laughed at me but I would rather be cool and rained on than hot and sweaty! Weeded the rest of the garden this morning and picked some lettuce, carrots, peppers and cukes for dinner tonight.

We've got a large turkey vulture that has been hanging around the last few weeks. He just sits on the barn roof, or on the fence watching the chickens. The chickens free range and are not bothered by the vulture, who actually flew down into the pen and ate some pellets with the chickens dust bathing a foot away! I'm assuming this isn't normal behavior, but so far he seems harmless. He also isn't afraid of humans, so I think a lot of people have tried to shoo him off. He isn't here constantly, only shows up once or twice a week, so I know he isn't injured or sick. I've watched him fly around the area, looking for road kill. Think he was lured here when hubby dispatched a ground we caught in my garden a few weeks ago. He threw the carcass in the hedge row and the vultures pulled it out into the field, and know this one vulture just hangs out here. As long as he leaves my chickens alone, we'll get along just fine. I guess time will tell!
Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Nothing but hot and humid weather, and it appears the next week or 10 days should be about the same. Looks like I won't be opening a window at night for a while.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Upper 80s & humid now. Grueling conditions working on forming the foundation for the house. We have plenty of buzzards hovering overhead. I don't mind so much except when I see them staring at me and licking their chops.

Garden is doing mostly OK. I didn't have much time to care for things after planting. Tomatoes & peppers that got such a slow indoor start seem to have recovered. Carrots & peas not looking so good--no time to weed and they're being over-run. Potatoes are doing quite well- not only the ones I planted, but also about 50 volunteers I either missed last fall or growing from wounded discards left behind.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Master Pontificator

90 and humid here today. Chance of pop up thunder storms. Supposed to be this way through the weekend. I watered the garden early and did some weeding. This weather keeps me inside during the day so anything that I'm doing, gets done before 9 am.

I can't wait for fall!
Old 07-19-2017, 03:20 AM

63 F. and drizzly today--the coolest day in a while. It has been in the 70s for most of the last month. Our son living in Omaha (who grew up here) will be here on Sunday. He said he can't wait to get here and out of the terrible heat they have been having. We probably won't see him much as he misses the mountains and will be hiking, canoeing, and backpacking for much of the time he is here. He'll have to carry a gun up here when he is in the boonies as the bear attacks have been a problem this year. He doesn't have to do that in Nebraska.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:36 AM

We have been much cooler the last week or so. Low of 40F overnight and highs no more than 55-60F at most. Have had several afternoons of scattered rain. No more than quarter inch at a time. Not enough as ground is quite dry. Extremely hazy at times due to smoke from other areas.

Fire danger is still very high in this area, but no issues for our local departments yet. Other parts of the district are not in so good shape. Agencies in town are struggling to maintain the displaced people who have come here from the fires near here. A lot of crime among the first couple waves of displaced people that have come here. Mostly crimes with one another so far, not much spreading to the rest of the community yet... I suspect it will eventually.

Lots of watering in the garden. Homegrown cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, have been very tasty so far. Produce from the lower mainland and other places is having to truck a long way around mountain passes because of the fires and it is showing in the prices.

Like Doninalaska said, with weather and natural food supply, wild critter issue reports in our part of the bush are starting to increase.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
... He'll have to carry a gun up here when he is in the boonies as the bear attacks have been a problem this year. He doesn't have to do that in Nebraska.
Having grown up there, he can surely handle it. Just be thankful he won't be confronted with the terrible problems European hikers face: DEADLY COW ATTACKS! Oh, Noooooh!

https://www.welt.de/reise/nah/articl...acken-vor.html
Old 07-19-2017, 04:33 PM

He can handle it if he sees it coming. Many times the bears that get you are the ones you don't see until your head is in their jaws. It seems that many of the same rules apply to bear attacks as they do to cow attacks.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
63 F. and drizzly today--the coolest day in a while. It has been in the 70s for most of the last month. Our son living in Omaha (who grew up here) will be here on Sunday. He said he can't wait to get here and out of the terrible heat they have been having. We probably won't see him much as he misses the mountains and will be hiking, canoeing, and backpacking for much of the time he is here. He'll have to carry a gun up here when he is in the boonies as the bear attacks have been a problem this year. He doesn't have to do that in Nebraska.
Tell him he's missing the worst of it, we're suppose to be 100 the next three days with the heat index at 105 to 115. I will say we're had a lot more 90+ degree days then we normally have.

As for the gun there's a couple parts of Omaha I don't think I'd travel in without a gun. But of course that has nothing to do with bears.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Tell him he's missing the worst of it, we're suppose to be 100 the next three days with the heat index at 105 to 115. I will say we're had a lot more 90+ degree days then we normally have.
He won't be here until Sunday, so I am afraid he will pick up some of that before he leaves.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:38 AM

From the looks of it the heat will still be here when he gets back, but just a few more weeks and we should start getting some breaks.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Master Pontificator

very humid, and around 85 degrees, we have a brief 5 days expecting little rain so some of the ground may actually dry out.

sold some firewood yesterday, today I used the money to buy 60 small square bales of hay. made a deal to trade 5 cords of firewood for another 60 bales (out of money but got plenty of firewood). also traded some chickens for salt blocks and other supplies. right now I have no idea how many chickens I have running around, I do know I got 2 buckets full of eggs I can't use or give away fast enough. been without a truck since march, keep getting tickets for using the atv (can't even go to feed store with it and trailer), both tractors need work, can't sell eggs if I cant get them to customers.

worked hard and got a 7 or 8 acre pasture fenced in, then 3 of the calves escaped and I had to work in high humidity and 90 degrees and mosquitoes to beef up the fence to keep the beefs in.

got into a shootout with a skunk last night. some of the new buff orpingtons have a hard time figuring out when its time to go in the coop at night. all the others will be p on the roosts and 5 buff orpingtons will still be out scratching the ground in the dark like little clucktards. last night they were attacked by a skunk, made an awful racket running around, I ran out with a 22 to deal with whatever was bothering them. they ran past me to get away from a skunk. they ran into the coop (I hope they figure out this is why I lock them in at night). the skunk turned and raised its tail at me, and I raised the 22. I fired off a shot right up its stink hole and it fired but splattered everywhere, then it ran across the yard and died. was like an old western movie shootout.

had another standoff the other day too but with axes. was riding bike to the store when i was rushed by a pitbull, i had a hatchet with me and raised it as the pit was running at me within 15 feet, seeing a "stick" raised it jumped back, but proceeded to circle me looking for a way to attack (i used the bike as a shield). after a 5 minute standoff the dogs owner came out and accused me of harassing his dog, he threatened me because i was "waving a stick at his dog", i told him it was an ax and i would use it if attacked. he went in and got his own ax and threatened me with it, after an awkward standoff the guys mother (he looked to be about 20 and the woman was 45ish at this run down house) got the dog in the house and i backed away since the dog was not a threat. i wish i was able to use the atv to get to the store, its safer cause i can outrun those dogs. one of the hazards using a bike as the only means of travel in the middle of nowhere
Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM

I once had a friend with the same problem--pitbulls chasing her on a bike. She discovered that a "squirt gun" or "water pistol" filled with household ammonia solution was an effective deterrent. If hit in the face with the juice, the dogs immediately dropped the chase. It will not kill the dogs, but there is some danger of blinding them if they are hit directly in the eyes. In her case, the dogs simply learned, after a couple incidents, that they should avoid her.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Master Pontificator

It continues to be very hot and muggy here. No measurable rain in a month so the garden is looking bad. Grass is so dry it crunches underfoot. Today has been a teaser with a couple of little showers and clouds. Just enough moisture to turn a humid day into a sauna. Areas south of us have had some good rains, but today is our first showers and they weren't a measurable amount. However, its getting very dark and its thundering so maybe there is hope yet today.

I don't know if its the heat/humidity or if there is an air quality issue, but my asthma has kicked in to the point I have to stay inside 99% of the time. I've been going to the garden just before dark in the evenings for a bit or early in the a.m. Its still been miserable. On the other hand, I've managed to complete a bunch of quilt squares.

Prayers for anyone who has to work outside everyday in this heat.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 PM

Staying in during the afternoons. Thermometer said 101 this afternoon, and then for just a few minutes it poured. Temp went down to 96, but it wasn't long and it said 102. I'm guessing the humidity was a little higher after the brief rain.

Heading out fishing in the morning, but plan to get off the water by 11 am at the latest. Hate to say it, but since we've been doing a you tube channel of our fishing, it almost feels like work some mornings when I get up early to get to the lake before it gets too hot. But then Google just deposited a check in my checking account today, so that makes it better. Now my buddy and I can buy some new fishing lures. Just not too many, the check wasn't that big.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:36 PM

Spring brings cool, bright days with no bugs.

Summer brings cool mornings to be spent on the lawn mower and a garden bulging with the best vegetables in the world.

Fall brings a break to the heat, brightly dressed trees, and sales on high quality meat.

And winter brings.... blah.

Instead of talking about the Russia problem, the politicians should be talking about how to ban winter.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Setanta: you seem to be having disputes with everyone you encounter, every time you leave the house. Have you considered counseling for your personality problems?

Hunter: Are those like Seinfeld's Japanese royalty checks for 1000 yen-- 2 1/2 cents each?

I feel so lazy today. A couple of my tradesmen buddies from the city came out today to help in my build. We just have the wall straightening and kicking the forms to do- a two man job. I was supernumerary, so I was kind enough to let them do it without my interference. Hope we can schedule the concrete conveyor and get it poured this week. It's rained almost daily for the past two weeks. I'm not sure I know how to work anymore without trudging around with 15 lb of mud on my boots.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Hunter: Are those like Seinfeld's Japanese royalty checks for 1000 yen-- 2 1/2 cents each?
Well a little bit more.

We just started monetizing videos back in March, went the first year without doing that. Started out with 7 or 8 and have added a couple each week since then. I've done a video on my 2 man boat, my Jon boat modifications and a couple on some fish finders which have done 20,000 views. Most of our fishing videos get maybe 50 or 60 views. We only have about 290 subscribers, so we're not very big.

On average our ad revenue is about $1.10 to $1.25 a day, some days more some less. At a little over $30 a month, it's not something I've figured into my retirement plan.

But I can actually say I'm getting paid to go fishing.