BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:43 PM
Master Pontificator

Doc, lets just say been there done that and records say I have PTSD. I also don't post everything on here, its not my log book, I only post significant stuff that counts as the exception (big news).
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Just poking fun at your escapades getting in arguments with not only the neighbor but also skunks and dogs.

Back in the 70s in Chicago, we had Harry Caray assisted by Jimmy Piersall announcing the White Sox games. Piersall was the ex-ball player who had suffered a nervous break down early in his career, the story told in the movie Anthony Perkins movie Fear Strikes Out.

Anyways, something would happen in the game and Jimmy would say "I don't know why he did that. He must be crazy." Caray would answer, "Well, you should know, Jimmy." and Piersall would counter with, "Yea, but now I have papers that prove I'm OK. Do you, Harry?"
Old 07-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Master Pontificator

Still no rain here. The grass crunches when you walk on it and is winter brown. Garden is toast except for the tomatoes and peppers I've watered. The sweet potatoes and pinto beans don't seem to mind the heat so maybe the high humidity is keeping them going. All in all a very discouraging gardening year. Potatoes have mostly died back which is a month early especially considering I was late planting. Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. We'll see if it arrives or goes around us as it has usually done this year. Farm crops are looking grim and not many smiles on farmer's faces.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Master Pontificator

After reading about everyone's weather woes, I don't have anything to complain about. It has rained here almost daily, in huge amounts, but only for an hour or two, so haven't had to deal with any flooding, so far. It has made a few get togethers a little wet, but we all survived. Figured we would rather be wet than hot.

The garden is doing well. I still have lettuce growing which is a miracle. It's usually too hot here by now. Guess it doesn't hurt that the bed is shaded for much of the afternoon.

Today has been dry, with low humidity and temps in the mid 70's. Wish it could stay like this all season. But since I know it won't, I made good use of the weather and cleaned out the chicken coop, did some weeding and picked up all the branches that came down in yesterday's storms. Seems like I'm picking branches up every day!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 PM

After a dry spell long enough the yard was more brown then green, I woke up to thunder about 5 am. Now around 12 hours later I've dumped 3 3/4" of rain from the gauge. The rain and clouds kept the temp down today, but at 78 degrees with 82% humidity it's still uncomfortable outside so I'll keep the AC on a little longer. Long range forecast says low to mid 80s with mid 60s for lows. I can live with that.

Should be decent fishing weather the next two days.

County fair starts this weekend, so I'll have to go in Saturday to help my daughter. Her niece shows horses in the morning, and my granddaughter shows rabbits and goats at the same time. She still too young to show horses this year. Next year will be interesting.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:30 PM
Master Pontificator

Had more rain Friday night, but woke to a beautiful day on Saturday. Had to work in the morning and attended a graduation party in the afternoon. Lots of good food. Came home to find oldest son and his friends mowed the lawn for us while they were testing out a couple garden tractors that they had just finished repairing and needed to test out before calling the owner to come pick them up. That was a welcomed surprise! And the guy came right over and paid the guys, so that was welcome as well! Now the guys have extra cash (if there is such a thing) to take their girls to the county fair today.

Today was 59 when I went out to feed, so I spent a few hours in the garden, weeding, mulching and transplanting the strawberry daughters that I trained into pots back into the garden. Glad that is finally done. Been dealing with a bad back for the last few days and all the bending seems to have loosened it up a little, hopefully it won't make things worse tomorrow. Now I'm doing laundry, stripped and remade all the beds and waiting on hubby who is volunteering at the local steam railroad all weekend.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:07 PM

What a lazy summer Sunday it is!

Nothing on TV, I already took a nap, dinner is ready to go into the oven, and I am too tired from moving wood yesterday to want to do anything anyways.

Well, historically Sunday HAS been a day of rest!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:21 PM
Master Pontificator

Woke up to another beautiful day in the high 50's. I'm so thankful for this short reprieve from the heat and humidity. I have so much more energy and ambition on days like this. Got the family up and going, did the barn chores and spent some time watering and picking green beans. Went to town to the Laundromat and post office. Came home to do dishes, more laundry and run the vacuum. Swept and washed the kitchen floor and made dinner. After dinner and the dishes, I'll head back outside to water the flowerbeds around the house.

Wish this weather could last all month, but the heat and humidity make a come back tomorrow. Oh well, 2 great days are better than none!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:19 AM

A beautiful last weekend of the month here in the bush. Forecast to be warm and sunny clear through the middle of the week after this. Saturday was garage sale day. Wildcat scored about 18 dozen or more canning jars at an average of 5 cents. Also nice quality high narrow table to put in the living room to use for plants at an east window. She has a grocery store ginger plant she sprouted that is taking over the room.

Garden is a struggle to keep watered, but doing nicely for this part of the GWN. Wild and tame berry bushes are starting to produce. We made a batch of rhubarb tart cherry jam that is great. Also smoked some boneless pork loin with a bacon cure. In the same smoker load we did some Kosher salt on trays with Alder wood chips. Tastes wonderful in the salt grinder.

Critters are all doing fine. Surprisingly the chickens have not had a significant summer egg production slump. You go girls. I'm still working to finish filling the nooks and crannies of the wood shed. Planted an "end of season, on sale" nursery pie/jam cherry tree to replace an older one that is dying out in our small orchard. They seem to have about a 15 or so year life span cycle. That is if the moose don't browse them off to severely.

Big air show next weekend in a town about 125 KM from us is canceled. It is closer to the fires and fire fighting planes and helicopters are still using that airport.

Pay attention Setanta. Tomorrow is the first of August. Get us started off on the right foot.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:21 AM

Nice today but supposed too rain for the next couple. Youngest son got married in the mountains on Saturday. We had a houseful, but everyone has gone except eldest child (daughter) and her two kids. Daughter spotted a silver fox in the driveway yesterday, so maybe the weasel I have been trying to catch for months isn't a weasel after all. We haven't lost any more chickens recently.