BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Humor

Humor G or PG-rated humor only. Post adult humor in the Extended Access section.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default How do they know?

I just got my Baker Creek catalog, and when I placed my order, I noticed it had "or currant resident" on the address label. How do they know we grow currants? I know...they meant "current resident" but you would think that whoever published it would catch that. That is when good proofreaders are needed, not just Spellcheck.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
I just got my Baker Creek catalog, and when I placed my order, I noticed it had "or currant resident" on the address label. How do they know we grow currants? I know...they meant "current resident" but you would think that whoever published it would catch that. That is when good proofreaders are needed, not just Spellcheck.
That's pretty funny.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:00 PM

You are probably one of the few that noticed.
Most of us don't pay close enough attention to catch something like that.
My brother had a concrete finishing company and he had the company name on his truck.
His wife asked him if concrete was misspelled on the door.
Yep, they had written conrete.
It had been that way for over 4 years and nobody noticed.
He just left it that way.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:36 AM

Stuff like that just jumps off the page at me. I have to get used to it as things like this happen all the time. I guess language is changing back to what it was before printing standardized it.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:30 PM

wonder if any chance they did it on purpose for a little gardener humor??
Old 02-12-2017, 03:47 PM

Can you read this?

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:50 PM

LOL Awesome, I've seen things like that before. It is amazing. Thanks for sharing Backlash.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:47 PM

Default Misspelling

I once painted a sign on a two by four foot piece of plywood directing harvest trucks to my farm. I misspelled my name.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddio7 View Post
I once painted a sign on a two by four foot piece of plywood directing harvest trucks to my farm. I misspelled my name.
The only thing worse than making a mistake like that is telling everyone.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:59 PM

Ya know what I want to know? When you hear on some program or news site where they say something along the lines of "last night 20 million people tuned into blah blah blah whatever the latest program is" how do they know how many tuned in..and how do they know how many women were watching vs men etc. I have never been poled in my lift on any of these issues. How do they know?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 PM

They guess based on polls they have taken. Sometimes the polls are very biased. They use "scientific polling methods" to select a representative group, then they assume those folks are being honest in the answers they give, and they ask the same questions in different ways to check the honesty and consistency. Liberal folks are always more heavily sampled than conservatives, as they tend to be more compliant (they are more willing to participate in surveys), are more likely to answer the phone (are less likely to be employed elsewhere) and tend to be more heavily sampled anyway as cities are more sampled than rural areas. Some polling companies have statistical algorithms that adjust for that, and some don't. You can almost always assume than polls are biased to the liberal side somewhat, as is evidenced by the last Presidential election.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Remember"Nielsen Ratings?" The Nielsen company used to put boxes on selected TVs and monitor what was being watched, then use classic polling math analysis-- kinda like presidential polls still do.

Now I bet the cable or satellite provider can monitor everyone directly. BigBrother is watching!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Remember"Nielsen Ratings?" The Nielsen company used to put boxes on selected TVs and monitor what was being watched, then use classic polling math analysis-- kinda like presidential polls still do.

Now I bet the cable or satellite provider can monitor everyone directly. BigBrother is watching!
The cable folks can do that, but it is technically illegal to do it under Federal law. I just got finished with a "Nielsen Diary" on which I recorded everything watched for 1 week. Although it is illegal for the cable companies to monitor, there is no such prohibition on the "Smart" TVs. Vizio admits doing it if your set is connected to a Wi-Fi system.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:52 PM

A few years ago my husband sold a tractor a man who seemed very nice. While my husband was trying to show him how to operate it as it was evident he had never sat upon a tractor in his life the man began telling him what he did for a living. Apparently he had made millions developing those nosy fishing gizmos and cookies on the internet etc that kept up with what you are looking at and shopping for so they can sell the info to companies that can target you online. Although my husband never showed it (a first for him) the man had no idea how angry that made him. He is not a fan of computers or technology much beyond a block and tackle. He kept his cool long enough to move that money pit on down the road. Funny at first he felt bad knowing the man knew nothing of tractors but the more he talked...