BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default NACE Certified Field Inspectors

On the off chance, any NACE CIP Level 1 field inspectors out there?

I may be working with a National Contractor on providing field inspection and specification writing for coating related jobs.

Just thought I would toss it out, ... on the off chance ......
Old 07-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
On the off chance, any NACE CIP Level 1 field inspectors out there?
I dunno--maybe I am and don't know it? What is NACE CIP?
Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I dunno--maybe I am and don't know it? What is NACE CIP?

NACE = National Association of Corrosion Engineers

CIP = Coating Inspector Program

Unlike many other things in life, if you were one of these - there's a good chance that you would know it!

Old 07-21-2017, 12:28 AM

Hmmm... Sounds like something to do with pipeline covering... If it is to do with the Key Stone pipeline, it would kind of surprise me..

Unless there is something different about the Canadian crude oil produced today or from a different region. I know refineries from Billings Montana as far east as Michigan have been using Canadian crude for many years.. Admittedly it is a very hard crude to crack, but I'm sure transportation and price make it worth the effort.

Again product from new fields could be a much different product to deal with..

Or is this an attempt to pipeline liquid wood pulp ?? I know it can be done. I've seen it pumped 500 meters or so from one plant to another. But it is an extremely chemical harsh product. It is extremely hard on quite expensive stainless steel pipe, pumps, and valves. Periodic grounding and sacrificial anodes are important to this kind of application.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Hmmm... Sounds like something to do with pipeline covering... If it is to do with the Key Stone pipeline, it would kind of surprise me..

Unless there is something different about the Canadian crude oil produced today or from a different region. I know refineries from Billings Montana as far east as Michigan have been using Canadian crude for many years.. Admittedly it is a very hard crude to crack, but I'm sure transportation and price make it worth the effort.

Again product from new fields could be a much different product to deal with..

Or is this an attempt to pipeline liquid wood pulp ?? I know it can be done. I've seen it pumped 500 meters or so from one plant to another. But it is an extremely chemical harsh product. It is extremely hard on quite expensive stainless steel pipe, pumps, and valves. Periodic grounding and sacrificial anodes are important to this kind of application.
Inspection of coating systems related to the pipeline industry is one example of where a NACE CIP inspector would find work.

Keystone line is just one example, but there are many hundreds of different pipeline projects in the works or that need inspections after they are installed.

The inspector may audit the coating system and process at facilities that coat pipelines. They may also perform field inspections of the coating in the field while it is being installed, or do root cause analysis of failures.

The pipeline industry is just one example though. Inspectors would also work with structural or architectural projects as well.

Basically, any market that requires compliance to coating processing or meeting specifications is where these types of Inspectors work.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 AM

[QUOTE=Tim Horton;433241 Or is this an attempt to pipeline liquid wood pulp ?? I know it can be done. I've seen it pumped 500 meters or so from one plant to another. But it is an extremely chemical harsh product. It is extremely hard on quite expensive stainless steel pipe, pumps, and valves. Periodic grounding and sacrificial anodes are important to this kind of application.[/QUOTE]

This is an area where I will be developing new technology to deal with elevated temperature levels, high abrasion, and chemical resistance.

Some of this is covered by either liquid or powder technology, stainless steel, or other systems.

One of my objectives is to develop technology that will provide very high levels of performance combined with a green, competitive system to replace older systems.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Certainly not one but about a hundred years ago I went to the AFIT ( Air Force InStitute if Technolgy ) corrosion control for supervisors at wWrigt Pat AFB. We went super fast thru everything from protective coatings , , on to CP systems and water treatment just to name a few. Interesting stuff that I used on my staff quite a bit thru the years . Well worth it. Govt spends astronomical amounts on the issue . Biggest challenge is the military leaders who are typically operatirs and only in a command for couple of years not recognizing the long term need /cost . " let the next guy worry about it it's under ground ".

Good luck
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Certainly not one but about a hundred years ago I went to the AFIT ( Air Force InStitute if Technolgy ) corrosion control for supervisors at wWrigt Pat AFB. We went super fast thru everything from protective coatings , , on to CP systems and water treatment just to name a few. Interesting stuff that I used on my staff quite a bit thru the years . Well worth it. Govt spends astronomical amounts on the issue . Biggest challenge is the military leaders who are typically operatirs and only in a command for couple of years not recognizing the long term need /cost . " let the next guy worry about it it's under ground ".

Good luck
Nice. I often end up reading a lot of corrosion studies and technology that comes out of the various Branches.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:53 PM

$4.5 billion a year cost .you might find this interesting.

http://corrdefense.nace.org/corrdefe..._Robertson.asp
Old 07-28-2017, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
$4.5 billion a year cost .you might find this interesting.

http://corrdefense.nace.org/corrdefe..._Robertson.asp
Thanks for the link. I have read several others that are somewhat similar. I have tried to have my Wife start a company, specializing with working with mil-spec coatings, but she won't have anything to do with it.

1- She's a VSO and likes working directly with Veterans.

2 - She said she didn't want to work with a Jerk that was going to direct her while kicking back and managing everything .... ... I'm paraphrasing of course.