Write For BHM
 Privacy Policy

Retired Features
 Country Moments
 Feedback
 Links
 Radio Show

BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum
Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser.

Who's In The Chat Room

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Arts & Crafts > Sewing/Knitting/Crocheting/Needlepoint

Old 09-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Master Pontificator

Default What do you sew?

I sew my own clothes, alittle more each time. I've made a nice dress and some leggings for myself. The fabric is alittle more expensive but I know the quality and that's it's reinforced like Kevlar by the time I'm done with it lol.

I plan on sewing a knit jumper when I get back home.

What things do you sew?

Kat

Oh I mend socks and underwear..those things get holes like crazy!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: What do you sew?

I fix my clothes as much as I can,but I sew mostly quilts and crafty stuff.......haven't gotten aournd to making my own clothes yet.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Master Pontificator

Cool! I would love to quilt but I read it can get expensive. I've learned I have to use alot of knit, I just tear calico and cotton like there's no tomorrow lol.

Katrina
Old 10-06-2007, 11:32 AM

Katrina if you use new material for quilting I'm sure it can get expensive. However my sister has made quilts using pieces of old clothes, like the pioneer women did, and used a blanket for the batting. This is something I want to try once I get a sewing machine as I shake too much to had sew anything more than a button or the like.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks! I never thought to use a blanket!

I am too, I tried to piece 9 blocks once growing up and I gave up since I poked myself too much sewing by hand.

I looked I had been petting a porcupine LOL.

Kat
Old 10-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Passed On

I used to make most of my own clothes, and taught my daughter to do the same.

I made a lot of bed coverings with old sheets covering old blankets, and made pretty quilts out of old skirts and other fabric with batting in them, and still use them after years of wear and tear.

I take old velvet pieces to embroidery all kinds of neat patterns like crazy quilts, only the size of a pillow.

I've been making all kinds of doll's quilts out of old fabrics using all kinds of different designs on each one like samplers.

--and of course, i patch everything that is worth saving.

I found a denim jacket at goodwill with all kinds of noah's arc figures on it, so am making two tote bags out of it for a couple of little girls i know from a church i go to every couple of weeks.

I love most of the home arts. It has been my life to make do with everything, and make them as pretty as i can.

Sue takes old furniture she gets at good will and makes them into works of art.

I used to knit and crochet and teach others how to do the same, and sure wish i had the opportunity to teach again.

I made socks and sweaters etc. out worn out old clothes by unravelling them to use the yarn.

I always loved being a housewife, even when i had to wash all my clothes by hand or so many years, and
absolutely loved those old maytags i got to use later. love, alma
Old 10-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Passed On

I am using up some old fabric and am working on beautiful doll's quilts using some fabric that i saved from some cotton dress pants i wore yeas ago and from a white short sleeved shirt i cut up a couple of weeks ago.

I had run out of white and knew it'd be a couple of weeks before i got sue to take me to the store to buy new white fabric.

"When there's a will, there's a way", and most of my
clothes are from GOOD will these days. love, alma
Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for all the great ideas Alma! I loved crazy quilts and forgotten about them.

Katrina
Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
FarmGirl4Jesus

My own clothes, clothes for my family, cloth dolls, curtains, and most anything.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:09 PM
Inactive Member

I just got a old singer that I'm still getting used to. I've haven't sewn since I was a kid. I want to be able to repair clothes. Then eventually make some hats arm/leg warmers ect. then even on to STUFFED animals! lol
Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 AM

Katrina,

Sorry for the later reply,this is the first time in quite a while that I've been able to get online at home. I buy nearly all my fabrics at garage sales,and use flat sheets as the backing.My only major expense is the batting for the liner.I insist on using new,but stil buy it at 50% off at JoAnn Fabrics when it's on sale.

Quite often you can get flat sheets at thrift stores that are still new,because most people tend not to use them when they get new sets of bed linens.I buy all the solid colored ones that are in my price range($1.00-$2.00) and use those.If I'm making a smaller quilt,I can get two baby quilt backs out of one large sheet.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina-Sisu

What things do you sew?

Kat

!
I sew some clothing and I have been sewing things to sell. I sew cloth mentrual pads. Thes are great! They are made with natural cotton , flannel, and a fleece layer for leak protection.
I also sew toilet wipes and baby washclothes/wipes.
I love sewing.
I would post my link to my blujay store but I am not sure if it is allowed here.
I LOVE TO SEW!!!!
Belle
Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 PM

I am like Alma, getting my clothes at the Goodwill. It is cheaper to buy clothes there than to buy the fabric to make them.
Some times I will buy clothing from Good will and use the fabric to make something with.
Mens cotton shirts work great for quilt fabric. I get shirts for a dollar each at the Good will.It is too expensive to buy fabric to make a quilt. Just use old clothing for your quilt projects and you can make a quilt fopr almost nothing but the labor.

A penny saved is a penny earned.
Belle
Old 02-01-2008, 09:24 PM

I love the new quilt fabrics. They are so pretty and I save money by buying fat quarters and then making scrap quilts. I also make quilts out of old jeans. Hey, when you have nine kids, a husband, a dad and a brother, what else am I going to do with all those jeans that have holes in the knees and are outgrown?? Goodwill will just throw them away!

I love the denim old jean quilts, they just sort of fold over you and tuck you in all by themselves. I usually get fleece on sale and use that for the backing. No batting needed and they come in lots of colors and patterns.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Master Pontificator

I agree it's cheaper to buy clothes. I switched back to regular clothes. I got 3 shirts for 30 bucks (Not bad for brand-name plus size stores) and that's how much it used to cost me to sew 1 modest jumper.

I fixed one sweater that the buttons had fallen off weird. I made it look like the top and the bottom of the sweater weren't supposed to have buttons at all. I like it lol.

I chopped up one of my modest jumpers. I am using the top for a slip on Cobbler apron and I'll make the bottom part curtains.

Kat
Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM

I have sewn clothing and alterations to ready-made clothing, kid's bathrobes, baby clothes, Haloween costumes, large stuffed toys from my own patterns, curtains, slip covers, aprons, hanger covers with hidden compartments for jewelry, table cloths and napkins, pillows, lamp shade covers, and small items like a velcro-closed bracelet pin cushion and couch-arm savers with pockets for the remote control and tv guide.

I've sewn on fabric, leather and plastic, and combinations of those.

I haven't done it yet, but I'd love to get a bunch of rip-stop nylon and make a huge, 3-dimensional kite this year! (I've got the book, just not the nerve to try it yet!) Also, for something that expensive, it's hard to justify when I can't even fly it myself! *;D

Oh, yeah - I even made a sleeping bag once! Really, anything you see made from fabric - once you get started, you can sew it.

The difference between buying it and making it is that when you make it, you can make it very well, and to fit exactly right in exactly the color and fabric you choose. If you love to sew, that fun is part of the up-side. If you don't enjoy sewing, it's too expensive not only in the money sense but in agrivation.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:03 AM

I sew my clothes, things for the house, gifts, etc. I take old clothes and turn them into new items. About the only thing that I don't make is my underwear and my school uniforms.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:54 PM

I made an apron out of an old pillowcase that had ripped. I used one side for the apron part and cut strips out of the other side for the ties and to go around the neck. I did not do it right though, the neck part was too big and I should have narrowed the top part of the apron. Oh well for me it was quite a big step!
Old 04-20-2008, 05:22 PM

With me not working for one more year and the outlaying of nursing school tuition to boot, we are always broke right now. I do everything I can to save money and who care s if the top of the apron is too big. Does it keep your clothes from getting ruined? i bet it does and that's what an apron is for. bob had a pen leak ink onto one of his white dress shirts and we tried everything short of a blow torch to get it out. It is now a "smock" for me to wear when I'm trying out an experiment at home or in the lab at school. At first the prima donna students laughed, but now they all want one.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Master Pontificator

What an inspiring thread. I hope someday I will be able to sew things like quilts and dresses...right now though I am just starting out. I bought a sewing machine for myself only two days ago when I saw some for half off at Canadian Tire.

The first thing I am doing is practicing by putting edges on some rags...lol might as well start small and work my way up. I think next I will be taking some old flannel I have and making hankies. Eventually I'd love to make myself some long skirts, as I can never seem to find them in the stores...not too soon though, as I'm 6 months pregnant at the moment, and my size changes every day. ;D