BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:22 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default 4 year old beef jerky

While going through camping gear I found an unopened bag of WalMart (Great Value) beef jerky, "use by" date of July, 2013.

In the interest of science, preparations and the good of the common man I decided to give it a taste test. The bag seemed to be properly sealed and had not "bloated" so I figured it would be safe.

I consumed a healthy portion of the beef. The flavor was good, the texture was about like crispy fried bacon, and it was still stringy enough to require copious use of a toothpick (which is normal for my compromised dental prowess.)

Since it's been 4 days since said experiment I have experienced no untoward side effects and have not starved to death so I'm going to say 4 year old Great Value jerky is consumable. Bon appetit!

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhilton View Post
While going through camping gear I found an unopened bag of WalMart (Great Value) beef jerky, "use by" date of July, 2013.

In the interest of science, preparations and the good of the common man I decided to give it a taste test. The bag seemed to be properly sealed and had not "bloated" so I figured it would be safe.

I consumed a healthy portion of the beef. The flavor was good, the texture was about like crispy fried bacon, and it was still stringy enough to require copious use of a toothpick (which is normal for my compromised dental prowess.)

Since it's been 4 days since said experiment I have experienced no untoward side effects and have not starved to death so I'm going to say 4 year old Great Value jerky is consumable. Bon appetit!
Nice. Next time, when you are experimenting, do it during Deer Camp.

Share the joy.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:27 PM
Master Pontificator

Good to know. Those expiration dates are intended to tell you when the item is at it's peak of flavor, texture and nutrition. As you know, things don't magically go bad on their expiration date.

I wish I could make my SIL understand that. She keeps sending me food that has expired to feed to the chickens because she thinks it's no good anymore. My brother has given up trying to get her to change her mind. Luckily, they can afford to throw/give away bags and bags of food each month! Then again, this is the SIL who won't eat our eggs because she has "met" the chickens they come from!

And my chickens don't mind at all. Helps keep the feed bill down.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:54 PM

Why does sour cream have an expiration date?---It's already sour.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:05 PM

Interesting info on the jerky. I have ate Jack Links brand that was a year old.

I do know a last years Pop-Tart left in the car is NOT going to be an good experience. Even if it is raspberry.
==
When my kid worked in a grocery frozen dairy department during high school and college, I ask the same about sour creme.. He gave me the "don't be a smart ass" look. I do know when sour cream has green eye balls growing in it.. Don't mess with it.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Also best to avoid strawberries that have Santa Claus hair & beards.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:33 PM

All "eat by dates" are ambiguous. How else do you think they would sell more. Canned goods can easily last over 5 years. A lot of dried or cured products can last years

A lot of foods that have mold or "fuzzies" are good also. That they are bad is a post food industry myth to get you to trow it away and buy more.
Educate yourself and give up a lot of these notions