BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Master Pontificator

Default August 2017

sunny, humid, expected to peak at 90

hauled brush out to the pasture and hauled a cord of wood back up.

last couple days I did a lot of work, taking it a little slower today
Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Master Pontificator

Same weather here today. Not a bad day but the humidity is going to get worse in the next few days. So I watered early this morning and groomed a few dogs. Picked some veggies for dinner and planning to make an easy day of it tonight.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Got the walls poured, forms stripped, waterproofing up and drain tiling in place over past coupla days. Gotta drive back to Chicago tomorrow to return rented equipment. Hope to get foundation backfilled and floor base gravel in, reinforcement mesh and in-floor pex tubing down over next few days.

Best thing about working hard all day in summer heat?-- that refreshing shower at day's end.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:36 PM

It's been 85 to 90 the past few days which is normal. Small cold front came through last night but didn't really affect the temp. Bigger cold front coming through tonight. Highs should be upper 70s after this front goes through, and the weatherman said some places my see lows in the upper 40s Friday night. May have to take a jacket if I go fishing early on Saturday.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Finally having a few rain showers. Amount hasn't been much but at this point ANY rain is very very welcome. Today is much cooler and windy with more thunderstorms forecast for this evening and overnight. Temps are dropping into lower 50's at night which is good sleeping weather as long as I have a quilt to snuggle under.

My tomatoes are starting to ripen. I've been watering them to keep them going. Green beans are blooming like crazy after we had the first shower. The last picking I threw away because the beans were desiccated empty husks. I did can around 18 pints earlier and hope with this rain to get that many more. No cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, radishes, lima beans, chard, beets or kohlrabi this year as it was too hot and dry for seeds to germinate. I never plant sweet corn because the raccoons always ALWAYS get it every year. Peppers have been watered and are starting to set fruit. Also, no strawberries due to drought most have died and bugs got raspberries. All in all a disappointing garden this year.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:19 PM
Master Pontificator

90 degrees, and very high humidity

over the last couple days I split and stacked another 6 cords, so I have about 70 cords of firewood split and stacked in the yard along both sides of the driveway now. just waiting till the fall demand for firewood starts. I split and stacked another cord this morning, in between unloading hay bales, had 100 small square bales delivered and I should now have enough for winter, was planning to wait till fall and sell or trade firewood for hay but the excessive rain this year has put everyone behind and feed prices are expected to jump in the fall or for there to be a shortage, so I am buying what I can whenever any money comes in. would be out splitting wood now but its too hot, will be back at it later though.

also spread out several wagon loads of woodchips, wood shavings, and chicken manure all over the area I plan to garden on next year.

got another bunch of chicks, one of the bantams has a clutch hatching today, don't know how many eggs.

mowed down 2 acres of hay field on my lot, scraggly hay from depleted and poorly tended soil (neighbor hayed it for years but never falowed or improved it). I mowed it down and am letting the cuttings rot, and also broadcasting clover seed for a late fall boost in nitrogen from the roots. also pushed back the overgrown shrubs along the edge of the field and added up to 30 feet width on the field.

I hear thunder right now, so the heat and humidity should break, with the heavy rain storm expected, all that delivered hay came just in time and is secure and dry in the barn.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Had a few storms last night, nothing major. Expecting more tonight into Sat AM. After that a cool front is expected, breezy with highs of 80 into the beginning of next week. Have to catch up on the mowing and weed whacking tomorrow, groom a few dogs and do some laundry.

Garden is doing well. Picked some cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes this morning. One last head of lettuce that I'll use in a salad tomorrow night. I'll be pulling the onions this week if the rain stops for a few days. Probably middle of next week. We'll be going away later this month so it's time to make sure I have enough feed for the critters etc. Don't want any last minute surprises!
Old 08-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Sunny and hot here in the bush. Daily high temps at 30C (85F) however it does cool off at night. We just plan our day early and late then stay calm during the worst. Forecast is to be this way through next weekend then some moderation. This kind of heat here has sent a number of people to hospital. It has been easy enough to keep the house comfortable with window shades and a pair of box fans.

Have been watering garden early and late in the day. Most things doing OK even with the harsh heat. There is a sugar snap pea bush near the gate I get a snack from every visit. Yumm.

We picked the small sweeter cherry tree to yield several pints of jam. The big sour cherry tree made 8 quarts of pie filling. Again yumm... Elvis the clothes washer, more on that later, has been a big help watering the fruit trees.

I built a second and remodeled another bath tub for critter water troughs. Moved them to a more shady part of the corral. Sammy the donkey was not a big help as he wanted to be right in the way most of this project trying to play with the cordless drill, hammer or any other tool, material, or glove he could get hold of.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Master Pontificator

Oh Tim, you hurt Sammy's feelings! He really thought he was helping!

Pouring here today. So far, we've had an inch with more to come, so the outside work is at a stand still. Went to the Laundromat mat, post office and chiropractor today. Then came home and groomed a few dogs, made dinner and after I lock up tonight I think I'll settle in with a book and enjoy this cool evening.

It's nice to have a day like this in August!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:07 AM
Master Pontificator

60 degrees, humid/damp heavy fog, expected to be wet all day

split 5 more cords of wood over the last couple days. did other work around the farm, traded 2 cords of wood for a small 4x8 trailer, its too low to use in the woods (I sold it to the guy for $200 a year ago, he was using it to move his riding mower between his house and another place he owned, but he sold the other place and doesn't need it now, so traded it back to me for $100 worth of firewood).

a large piece of firewood smashed me in the ankle on sunday, been tough walking on it, haven't done much yesterday and not planning anything today. I need to buy new boots (my old boots are so worn out they may as well be socks)
Old 08-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Cool and less humid. Upper 70s and low 80s is well below normal, Mother Nature must have her months mixed up.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Master Pontificator

Cool as all get-out here in Indiana. It was 52 degrees when I got up at 3am. Lots of sun, however plenty of rain, and little humidity. To think that summer's sweltering heat is gone for the year is a dream but... I can pretend anyway.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM

It appears that the rainy season here has begun. The cool, rainy season begins in August in a typical year and continues until frost. It is predicted to rain for the next ten days, so this may be the beginning. Much of the growth in the garden, particularly of the cole crops, takes place in the cool rain here. We have a perennial and produce sale coming up this weekend, and I just planted 25 evergreen trees to replace those that have aged, succumbed to disease/insects, or fallen, so the rain will do them good along with the new apple tree, honeyberries, and seaberries. Raspberries and blueberries are ripening rapidly--wife and daughter picked 3 gallons of wild blueberries and about a gallon of raspberries on Tuesday, and I froze 12 quarts of broccoli and cauliflower--our harvest season has finally begun about 2 weeks later than a typical year due to cold Spring temperatures. As begin our "buttoning up" for winter, the sons are hunting or fishing and the old folks are canning, freezing, drying and pickling.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Default Another mini SHTF...

It seems the cool weather DoninAlaska mentioned has hit here. Good thing in that it has helped the forest fire fighters a lot.

Friday evening or so it started to look like overcast. Before the night was over, all day Saturday the smoke and haze from the fires had visibilities down to ground level 100 meters or less in many places. Air stunk real bad, with about 6mm of fly ash over everything. Smoke and cloud overcast made Saturday by 2pm middle of the night pitch dark. Used a flashlight to do chores.

Early Sunday morning there was about 6mm (1/4") rain that cleared the air, but turned the ash to paste that dried and stuck to everything. The water in the rain gauge was mud brown.

The real SHTF issue was we were picking black currents and hit a nest of ground wasp of some kind. Both of us and the dog got a bunch of stings. As we got away some even followed us into the house. We both took Benadrill and Tylenol and with Hydrocortazone cream have napped the rest of the day and a restless night. Monday was a slow recovery day for all. Poor dog had a very rough time clear through this morning.

It seems hot, dry weather has made bee, wasp issues worse this year by many reports. Temps have dropped from 25-33C to 10C for highs. (85-50F) Still could use a bunch of rain. A bit forecast later in the next 10 days or so.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
The real SHTF issue was we were picking black currents and hit a nest of ground wasp of some kind. Both of us and the dog got a bunch of stings. As we got away some even followed us into the house. We both took Benadrill and Tylenol and with Hydrocortazone cream have napped the rest of the day and a restless night. Monday was a slow recovery day for all. Poor dog had a very rough time clear through this morning.

It seems hot, dry weather has made bee, wasp issues worse this year by many reports. Temps have dropped from 25-33C to 10C for highs. (85-50F) Still could use a bunch of rain. A bit forecast later in the next 10 days or so.
We keep Sting-Kill (External Anesthetic Disposable Swabs) on hand for just such emergencies. Five 1/2 cc swabs on a card run about three buck here. The sooner they can be applied the better, but they are very effective, where some of the other similarly named preparations did not. The swabs contain 20% Benzocaine as their primary ingredients.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Flooding instead of drough this year

This is typically our drought season, but as of the 14th, we had received eight times as much rainfall this year, as our average monthly rainfall for August.

Temperature's have probably averaged 10 - 12 degrees less than normal because of the rainy, cloudy & overcast days which has also been great.

But noting so far has affected the humidity. It is 94% this morning. It looks nice and cool outside until you open the door and walk out into what seems to be an oven! Ouch!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Master Pontificator

Tim Horton, I had a nest of wasps under the seat in the outhouse last year, talk about a pain in the ass. got a basketball size paper wasp nest in the back of the too shed and a few softball size nests under the cabin eaves. I rarely see biting flies within 100 feet of these buildings (they catch and eat flies).

around 78, cloudy, humid

spent the day enclosing the porch, need a little more siding before I can finish it. I might put chicken netting and bug screen up as windows (cats have a hard time destroying screen when its paired with poultry netting, their claws can't make long tears). someone gave me a bunch of left over siding and that prompted this project, makes it a little more weatherproof, and I can staple clear sheeting over windows in the winter so I wont have to shovel so much snow off the porch. a few other uses for enclosing it as well. I plan to put a different porch on eventually and when I do I can move this enclosed porch to far side of the yard and add another wall to make it a shed.

was getting sick of firewood work and not much else to do right now
Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM

Getting real cool here--39 F. here yesterday morning. Snow on the mountain tops down to about 2500 ft. It warms into the high 50s to mid 60s during the day. This is looking much like the weather used to be here. Lots of rain, but no frost yet.... We had frosts into the 2nd week of June, and now the weather is cooling down again. As we get older, getting ready for winter seems to get harder.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Like others our weather has been cooler then normal. Yesterday we hit 87 which is normal, but it's been a while.

Weird weather pattern lately with storm starting up each day out west but not really moving this way. Each day it seems to inch a little closer, must be a stationary front out there, and last night we started getting it.Rain started about 7 pm, and right on cue the power went out. 5th time in the last 2 months. Power outage only lasted three hours this time.

Rained off and on most of the night and I can still hear thunder in the area. Dumped 3" of rain out of the gauge this morning. There's a 70% chance of rain yet today so I figure I'll be dumping more out this evening. Glad I got all the mowing done yesterday afternoon before it started.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Master Pontificator

55 degrees, sunny

had a raider coon bothering my place for at least 2 weeks, keeps coming by scavenging on the porch, it may be the culprit that grabbed a few chickens before it was after trash and catfood. some of the buff orpingtons still won't go in at night so they have all been on lockdown in a fenced in run. something has been trying to dig into the coop by going under but failed since there is a wooden floor on 4x4 skids. anyway after a few near misses I finally caught it last night (dumb cats kept going into the cage traps before the raccoon came by, had to wait till the cats figured out not to go in). too many piles of firewood to get a clean shot (hillbilly night vision on the 22, that's a flashlight taped to the barrel). with it in a trap it was easy to put a bullet in its face and dumped the carcass on the far side of the field.

now that that's dealt with I got to split and stack more firewood. got roughly 4 to 5 weeks till the season starts