BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:52 AM
Master Pontificator

We had more showers yesterday but again no great amount. It will take several 2" rains to even begin to bring us out of drought. However, the showers have perked up the garden and I again have green beans needing to be picked and am harvesting tomatoes daily. Temps have moderated so no a/c which helps with the budget.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Warm weather coming back for a few days.

Everyone around here is getting ready for the eclipse. I thought once of driving down to my niece's place, an hour to the south, where it will be total. But listening to everyone talk about how bad the crowds will be I decided not to do that.

Local paper says it will be 98.5% here, and that's close enough for me. Total is around 1 pm, been thinking of heading to the lake fishing. I can still see it there, and it might be interesting to see if it has any affect on the fish.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Warm weather coming back for a few days.

Everyone around here is getting ready for the eclipse. I thought once of driving down to my niece's place, an hour to the south, where it will be total. But listening to everyone talk about how bad the crowds will be I decided not to do that.

Local paper says it will be 98.5% here, and that's close enough for me. Total is around 1 pm, been thinking of heading to the lake fishing. I can still see it there, and it might be interesting to see if it has any affect on the fish.
My Buddy and I are heading down to Nebraska for the Eclipse. He is thinking between N Platte and Alliance, I am thinking between Lincoln and N Platte. We will see who wins the argument.

I highly suggest going to the totality, vs. 98.5% ... but that's just me..

Trying to pick a spot that won't be completely over-run, but sounds like it will be a mad house wherever you go.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:21 AM

The farther west you go would probably be your best bet. Saw a guy on the news came from New Hampshire. He said of all the states he picked western Nebraska because it gave the odds of 93% to be cloud free. Looking like the eastern part will be cutting it close.

The dangerous part may be if people figure out the farther west you are the better your chances. They estimate there could be 500,000 people in the state for the eclipse. If all of a sudden a lot of those people find out they have a better chance if they go west, the highways will be terrible. Figuring on above normal traffic on the roads, all oversized loads have been banned until it's over.

If your buddy wins out and Alliance is your pick, you might as well go to Carhenge to watch the eclipse. Seems fitting to tie eclipse and Carhenge together.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...que-landmarks/
Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 AM
Master Pontificator

Finally got some good rains last night and today. Not enough to end the drought, but very welcome indeed. I'm in the 95% eclipse area but didn't even notice the eclipse since it was already dark with clouds.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
The farther west you go would probably be your best bet. Saw a guy on the news came from New Hampshire. He said of all the states he picked western Nebraska because it gave the odds of 93% to be cloud free. Looking like the eastern part will be cutting it close.

The dangerous part may be if people figure out the farther west you are the better your chances. They estimate there could be 500,000 people in the state for the eclipse. If all of a sudden a lot of those people find out they have a better chance if they go west, the highways will be terrible. Figuring on above normal traffic on the roads, all oversized loads have been banned until it's over.

If your buddy wins out and Alliance is your pick, you might as well go to Carhenge to watch the eclipse. Seems fitting to tie eclipse and Carhenge together.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...que-landmarks/
See post in the eclipse thread. Dude, it turned out absolutely perfect.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM

Well the clouds and rain continues. It's been a few off and on showers here and there that never amounted to much, but last night we got 2 1/2" and it's raining again now this morning. Highs have been in the upper 70s or low to mid 80s, which is real nice for late August. Probably pay for this later.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:57 PM
Master Pontificator

clear, in the 70s at day and 40s at night, expecting the same for at least a week.

yesterday I did a lot of work on the barn, nailing boards up to enclose the walls and framing in the rest of the side room and putting down metal. today I gathered split and stacked 3 cords of wood.

would have had to stop a lot of work or slow to a crawl, was out of gas and flat broke, but a friend stopped in this evening and needed a cord of wood, so I got a ride out to the gas station and had money to buy 1 or 2 weeks worth of gas.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:41 AM
Master Pontificator

More showers off and on this week and cooler temps with highs in upper 70's or lower 80's and dropping into 50's at night. Good sleeping weather. So thankful for the moisture although its too late to do much for the garden.

I'm picking tomatoes daily however most of the larger ones have split due to the rains after such a long dry period. I pick them and bring them in and sometimes the cracks seal over and the tomatoes finish ripening but more often they rot.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:51 PM

Poured the floor yesterday with a little help from my friends. Finishers finished up by 4PM and luckily it didn't rain (it poured) after midnight-- no harm done.

Concrete work finally completed! We'll start framing interior walls tomorrow.

Tomatoes doing well; potatoes ready for harvest; carrots ok despite being over-run with weeds,,,and...
I finally beat the deer to the sweet corn!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:57 PM
Master Pontificator

daytime temperatures in the 70s, clear skies no wind, around 45 at night.

cut about 4 cords of firewood yesterday, and scythed down some brush the cattle don't seem to like.

today I hauled the wood out and split it, had 2 visitors show up, first was a neighbor offering to sell round bales cheaply, a mutual friend mentioned I might be interested in more hay. will probably buy some. the other visitor was conservation police following up a complaint someone made to the state about my trapping out of season. specifically I had caught some raccoons that were raiding my farm, tearing through trash, prying open feed bins in the barn, and trying to get into the chicken coop, I lost a number of birds this summer and when the chickens were locked up tight the coons started raiding everything else. I trapped, shot and disposed of several raccoons, but some libtard peta hippy took issue with it on facebook, spammed me "fur is murder" messages, told me I should feed the coons cat food so they won't be hungry enough to attack the chickens, and they spammed complaints to Albany (state capital, head office of DEC), they sent conservation police out, under state law any farmer or homeowner can legaly trap and kill any nusance animal, but they had to investigate after complaints. the officer saw the chicken coop and closed the investigation, since under the law you can do whatever you want to nusance wildlife (apparently if I strangle a raccoon with my own hands its completely legal as long as that raccoon has caused quantifiable loss on the farm, that's what the officer said anyway, though I just used a cage trap and shot the raccoons in the head). interesting day besides all the firewood