BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial

Financial Anything money-related that does not have a dedicated board.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:09 PM

Default Cities scramble China bans plastic scrap

Yes true nuff China has placed a ban on our recycled plastic. This has caused cities to scramble for a new home for our perfect recycle system. That home will be the land fill. You can bet your last dollars we will see waste disposal prices increase as dumps and recycle transfer stations stop taking in our recycled items.

Here is one link:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/less-ca...ban-1508493603

Now that the price of natural gas and propane is cheap here it is easier to manufacture virgin plastic to sell to China. As the announcement hit the air wave gas prices have risen. This past spring and summer it was rumored that a ban may be enacted.

http://www.recyclingproductnews.com/...ity-import-ban

On a local note we are still waiting on the great waste wood and wood pellet manufacturing power plant that is a year + past due to be on line. I'm not holding my breath and it will be interesting to see if they start to burn waste other than wood scraps from construction and the paper industries.

Lets ask if Africa holds any value for this industry since it is the only place left to get really cheap labor in house.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have wondered for some time if caskets and coffins might be a good use for recycled plastic. I guess you would have to weight them down in areas with high water tables, but it seems to me that plastic "body boxes" would eliminate the expense of metal and the use of vaults, since the plastic could be made water-tight and is non degradable. The brass now used for caskets could be put to better use--such as ammo--and the plastic would be buried in cemeteries instead of landfills.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post

Lets ask if Africa holds any value for this industry since it is the only place left to get really cheap labor in house.
When I was looking at exporting certain raw materials to China, one of the factors that I originally overlooked was shipping rates. Shipping a container over to China is dirt cheap, compared to shipping from China.

So I'm pretty sure other potential Countries to ship scrap to would be Viet Nam or one of the other Asian countries where labor is now cheaper than China.

Africa would probably have to start exporting a lot more stuff, before they are in the running for the honor of obtaining our scrap.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
I have wondered for some time if caskets and coffins might be a good use for recycled plastic. I guess you would have to weight them down in areas with high water tables, but it seems to me that plastic "body boxes" would eliminate the expense of metal and the use of vaults, since the plastic could be made water-tight and is non degradable. The brass now used for caskets could be put to better use--such as ammo--and the plastic would be buried in cemeteries instead of landfills.
FEMA is recycling plastic by making millions of coffin liners.

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 01-22-2018, 06:32 PM

You mean these !

https://www.snopes.com/politics/cons...emacoffins.asp
Old 01-25-2018, 11:44 AM

Yep those. I've seen them outside Savannah GA. Almost 2 miles in length and a mile wide. So Snopes is showing that they are not a credible source to check anything that has a bias of being pro-conservative. They only say that liberal crap is true. I have also seen with my own eyes the storage area of these outside Atlanta GA. Including the FEMA signs on the fences around the area.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5860519/are-...casualty-event

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 01-25-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1gman View Post
Yep those. I've seen them outside Savannah GA. Almost 2 miles in length and a mile wide. So Snopes is showing that they are not a credible source to check anything that has a bias of being pro-conservative. They only say that liberal crap is true. I have also seen with my own eyes the storage area of these outside Atlanta GA. Including the FEMA signs on the fences around the area.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5860519/are-...casualty-event
From the link you provided. You should read what you post.

Quote:
In other words, the government does not own the burial vaults near the Atlanta airport. There is no connection between government agencies like FEMA and the vaults

Last edited by MissouriFree; 01-25-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:05 PM

We were discussing this "problem" of China refusing our refuse on another forum. The TreeHuggers have this false premise that our garbage poses some kind of a threat to the environment.

But, in fact, we'll fill a volume 100 ft deep and covering 1000 sq miles over the next CENTURY with refuse. And most of those landfills will be "recycled" as parks, recreational areas or returned to natural habitat when filled.

Compare that 1000 sq miles to the total land area of the US: 19,000,000 sq miles, and the fact that every year 1500 sq mi of farm land is lost to the bulldozer for development.

Is the "landfill problem" even worth our consideration?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:45 PM

I remember the days in southern Illinois when the old coal strip mines were used as landfills and sewage sludge "deposits" to reclaim the land. It appeared that both Chicago (where most of the waste came from) and the old strip mines benefitted from the arrangement. I don't know if that is still going on, for that was many years ago. Many states have provisions to tax ag land at lower rates to try to keep it from development. When developers move in and the land values rise on the tax roles, it is impossible for the farmers to pay their taxes. I had a friend who had a 140-acre farm near Palmer. A hospital built nearby and his land values went from several hundred grand to $10 million overnight. He could no longer afford his taxes and was forced to sell his place and move. That is the story of ag land in developing areas.