BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default September 2017

September 2017.....
---
Nice few days here in the bush. Cool mornings, average afternoons. The last rain we got was not enough and about a week ago now.

An occasional day of forest fire smoke depending on the wind. It will travel up the river valley and intensify to downright dangerous density. Not more than a couple hundred meters visibility on the highway. Quite thick and smelly consistency that is dangerous to people with breathing issues.

We need rain, but not like places with the storms around now.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:20 PM

Lo 70s by day; 45 at night; a little rain every 2-3 days. Great weather.

Got the walls framed. If The Mexican Cartel, my buddies from Chicago, make it out here tomorrow, we'll get the roof on it this weekend.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:30 PM
Master Pontificator

peaked out at 60 today, sunny, expected 40 overnight

rode about 35 miles on my bike, hauling home about 20 LB of nails. then I picked up a wagon load of 1/2 inch thick boards. my tractor uses 5 gallons gas round trip to the mill and looses a quart of tranny oil out a leak, I went with 1/2 inch thick boards for barn siding to cover more area with fewer trips. nailed poles on inside of the barn as needed to keep cattle from pushing on the thin boards, though most only cover hay storage areas. except for some minor details and the doors (which I have nothing suitable for hinges or slide type rails, gong scavenging at scrapyard next week for those) the barn is done.... for now anyway, I never go long before thinking of ways to make improvements, though a 30x50 barn is the biggest thing I built so far.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Hey Tim you want to keep some of that smoke up your way. Cough, cough.

Nice part of the north winds that brought that smoke here is the lower temps. Went from 85 and 90, to the low 70s. Should have lows in the mid 40 Tue and Wed night. Probably get me thinking about cutting some firewood.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:58 PM
Master Pontificator

Was watching the clouds build 15 minutes ago. Now the rain is coming down in buckets and the tees are whipping around. I'm sure I'll have more branches to pick up tomorrow. But at least these storms are bringing cooler weather for the rest of the week. And I won't have to water the garden for a few days!

(I'm trying to look at the bright side!)
Old 09-05-2017, 10:45 PM
Master Pontificator

overcast most of the day, around 65

been hauling logs to an amish mill as I had a little money come in, but this morning the loader on my tractor broke down. it had other problems but I kept jerry rigging and putting off real repairs. without the loader I have no need of it so I drove it down to the repair shop with my bike tied to the back. rode the bike home afterwards. still got a lot of big logs I wish I could have milled but just can't move them now. rode out on the other tractor and picked up about 150 feet of second roofing metal (some long pieces the lumberyard crunched with a fork life on the end, and lots of 3 to 5 foot left over). should have enough materials now to build 2 buildings measuring 16x16 each. also bought $60 worth of lag bolts to put my own mill together (though most of the logs I was hauling would be too big to do on the little mill I bought).

after all that I rode out on the bike again to renew my dogs license, don't want him turning into a cat by not renewing his license to be a dog.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Default The early harvest has begun

First minor frost last night. It got down to 30 F. this morning, so the squash, cucumbers, remaining beans, and celery have been harvested. We emptied the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers from the greenhouse yesterday, too. We could heat the greenhouse--there is a woodstove there, but it is 200+ yards from the house and is a big hassle for two old folks to maintain. The wife has a meeting tonight, so the processing of produce will not start until tomorrow. All the root and cole crops will be left out for a while yet, but winter is on its way....
Old 09-10-2017, 09:15 PM

Cool, cloudy, damp with drizzle some part of the day for the last week more or less.. No frost yet here, but like Doninalsska says, cool enough garden is done for most part. Just potatoes, onions, and stuff like that to deal with when time allows.

VERY busy last couple weeks with apple picking and firewood. Despite drought this summer most of the local apples we have gotten has been an abundant supply. Very busy processing most to critter food, some for us. Both tasks have contributed to my increased consumption of Tylenol lately. Ouch....

We also got some peaches, plumbs, and Bing sweet cherries delivered from the lower part of BC where there is a very prolific area that grows fruit. All made WONDERFUL jam..

The Fish Guy, a fellow who brings a truck to town with several freezers full of frozen pacific fish directly from the docks... Last time he was here, saying about when he would be back. He is 3 weeks overdue now. Hope forest fires or something else doesn't mean he won't be back this fall.

Mother-in-law was up for a quick overnight to pick up a pair of new used tractor rims for her Massey Ferguson. Also sent 5 or so apple boxes of book sale books for there winter reading and exchanges with neighbors. We will make a trip down there later this fall to pick up a riding mower she picked up for free and did some minor work on to improve its usability.

Bear and Canadian goose season are both on here in the bush. Both have been particular pests this summer.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Master Pontificator

Cool (40's) nights and breezy, warm days (70's) have gotten me inspired to start my fall outside stuff. Cleaned the chicken coop, picked the carrots, green beans and a few tomatoes. The peppers are still producing but not happy. Washed the car, did some weeding and been going to the park for nice long walks. Gearing up to work the kitchen at the local tractor show this weekend. Hoping the rain will not interfere with the crowds. Time will tell.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, around 70

phone ran out of service a week ago, so I had no phone (or internet via mobile hotspot), just sold some firewood this morning and was able to get another phone card, not much seems to have happened on any website I frequent in the week that I was in the dark

did some finishing work on my barn, split a couple more cords of wood, built a second chicken coop slightly larger than the first. built a deck on my hay wagon (used to haul logs last year, then built a deck over winter, then broke it loading logs in the spring, then back to log hauling and built a new deck learning from the flaws in the previous deck). also finally got sick of the low ceiling in my cabin and took a chainsaw to it, cut half the second story out (only have half size loft left in back), got lots of headspace now though it cost 1/4 of the floor space in the building. all in all it was a slow week.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:12 AM

28 F. this morning. I got started on a small greenhouse closer to the house with good electric to it. It will just be small (8 x 15 feet) so it will be easy to heat in the Spring if need be. There won't be anything in it during the coldest, darkest months, but maybe in March when the sun comes back....
Old 09-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, high around 80

was on my bike this morning from 6am to 1120am, cracking out about 35 miles to go buy 13 LB of nails, and about 15 LB of other supplies. long trip around to a couple local places, tried to get a ride from friends over the last 3 days but like they say, if you want something done just do it yourself. flat broke now but I got the nails I need to build a pole barn, or some other sizable work building for the farm (have a huge pile of lumber left over from other projects).

also had a neighbor offer to sell lower quality round bales really cheap, so thinking of buying up 20 bales then getting some more steers, but I need to sell some firewood first an that's been slow this year.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 PM

Default GARDEN DOWN......

Ice on the outside dog dish the last two mornings.
The garden is completely done for this year. Yesterday it looked pretty sad, but today it is done. Seems were about 24 to 48 weather hours behind what Doninalaska gets.

Busy, busy here with the end of garden, end of local apple season, critter hay and other winter feed, and firewood. The wood shed is stuffed to the max, but I'm collecting wood as I can in my outdoor storage area.

Been busy brush hog mowing the upper pasture.. Kind of an effort to control thistle and over grown grasses that need attention. I did our lower pasture first and the results seem to be working out like I hoped.

Calendar says next weekend will be time to smoke the homemade bacon curing in the fridge. Also local library fall book sale coming up soon. That is a real "take no prisoners" event for us. Wildcat puts book in the "Book Crossing" network. She has world wide responses from her books. Fun to see where the books travel.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Ice on the outside dog dish the last two mornings.
The garden is completely done for this year. Yesterday it looked pretty sad, but today it is done. Seems were about 24 to 48 weather hours behind what Doninalaska gets.

Busy, busy here with the end of garden, end of local apple season, critter hay and other winter feed, and firewood. The wood shed is stuffed to the max, but I'm collecting wood as I can in my outdoor storage area.

Been busy brush hog mowing the upper pasture.. Kind of an effort to control thistle and over grown grasses that need attention. I did our lower pasture first and the results seem to be working out like I hoped.

Calendar says next weekend will be time to smoke the homemade bacon curing in the fridge. Also local library fall book sale coming up soon. That is a real "take no prisoners" event for us. Wildcat puts book in the "Book Crossing" network. She has world wide responses from her books. Fun to see where the books travel.
Welcome to the Frozen North, Tim!! We still have cole crops (cabbage, Brussels sprouts and kale) in the garden, and most of the root crops are still out there. We are hoping to get some help from the grandchildren to harvest the root crops, as they can bend down a whole lot better than us senior gardeners. I am about 1/3 of the way complete with the new little greenhouse, and I hope to get that finished before everything really freezes up. We have had a number of mornings below freezing but days have been nice (upper 40s and 50s F.). There is supposed to be a big winter storm coming off Siberia--where we get much of our winter weather--that will arrive in the next few days. Stand by for that Tim sometime next week...assuming the forecast is correct.

Tim, I would recommend getting a couple of goat wethers next spring to help you little donkey keep the weeds down. They will attack trees in your pasture as well, so if you have trees in your pasture you want to keep, don't use 'em. You can keep them all summer and butcher or sell them in the fall so you don't have to overwinter them unless you want to do so.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:08 AM
Master Pontificator

After a couple of weeks of below normal temperatures we are now having above normal temperatures and still in drought. We had a little sprinkle of rain this a.m. while I was hauling out the trash and I didn't even get wet. Discouraging. Dangerous too. If we don't get some good rains before the ground freezes, the frost will go deep and then we'll have broken water mains all around town again. During the last severe drought farmers had a big problem with submersible pumps freezing deep in their wells. It will be interesting to hear what crop yields are this fall. My garden this year has been very sad although I managed to can beans, tomatoes, catsup and chili sauce. I am also picking pinto beans which looks to being about half the usual harvest.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Weather here has been normal temps with higher humidity. We were all dying in the food service building at the engine show this weekend. But the weather didn't seem to keep the crowds away, thank goodness! That is the only way our club raises money each year, so it's important.

The garden is looking sad. My brother stopped in early this morning to deliver the venison from the processor. We so appreciate his hunting skills. I picked a bag full of peppers for him and a few tomatoes, and of course he left with a few dozen eggs, too. Tonight I'll go back out and pick some green beans, but I think the garden will be done within the next 2 weeks, depending on the weather. I'll be putting the windows back into the chicken coop for the winter soon as well. We also add an extra wall for the winter as it seems like the chickens continue laying if they don't have to work so hard trying to keep warm. During the summer we take the wall down so the chickens can spread out to try to keep cooler. Seems to be working.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 PM

Mother Nature can't make up her mind here. In the 60s yesterday, should be close to 90 tomorrow, then cooler for a day, and then back to 90s at the end of the week. Then to start next week, low 70s.

Got an inch of rain last night and early this morning.

Went to the woods on Friday with the tractor to pull some dead trees close to the road for cutting later. Thought I better do that before the rain came and things got muddy again. Went back later on Friday and again Sat morning with the 4 wheeler and chain saw. Got quite a bit cut up and laying right by the road so I can pull up next to it with the pickup to bring home. Guess I'm going to have to start thinking about splitting wood pretty soon.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Default hurricane

The hurricane came and left a bit of a mess here in the Athens GA area. Blew the acorns off the trees along with branch ends. Had a few trees out back blown down mostly on the neighbor's property.

Pecan trees in the area took a hard hit with a majority of the nuts hitting the ground early.
Temps have ranged from 60 to 90'. The cold snap prior to the hurricane caused leaves to start to turn and drop.
Dry here for a week now calling for rain tonight.

Other than that SSDD
Old 09-21-2017, 06:39 PM

34F. and raining this morning. We got the roof over the new greenhouse yesterday to keep the area dry and snow-free when it finally happens. Grandkids helped us harvest the beets and carrots. Wifey sorted them and placed them into the storage boxes for winter. Potatoes (and maybe cabbage) are on the list for today. We want to get everything out of the gardens before snow except maybe the Brussels sprouts, leeks, and parsnips. We still have broad beans out there, too, so they may get picked today as well. I don't like working in the garden when it is raining, but sometimes we have no choice.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:34 PM

Fall blew into middle Missouri with a south wind- 93 degrees and 60% humidity- and no appreciable rain in a long long time .