BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:16 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
The hurricane came and left a bit of a mess here in the Athens GA area. Blew the acorns off the trees along with branch ends. Had a few trees out back blown down mostly on the neighbor's property.

Pecan trees in the area took a hard hit with a majority of the nuts hitting the ground early.
Temps have ranged from 60 to 90'. The cold snap prior to the hurricane caused leaves to start to turn and drop.
Dry here for a week now calling for rain tonight.

Other than that SSDD
Good to hear. Well, not the pecan nuts.

Hot here, high humidity.

Was going to spend the week Up Nord, but plans were delayed. I've been on the road every week for the last 8 weeks, and I'm ready for hunting season. 1st week of grouse is more or less just working and polishing the condition of the dogs anyways.

I'm ready for some honest work. Way too stressed out with work, but then on the other hand, making good solid progress and growth.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Been way too hot here. I believe last night's overnight low was our average high for this time of year. 90s yesterday and it looks like at least 2 more days with Sunday just missing 90. That's when the front goes through and the first of next week looks like 60s and 70s.

I'm thinking I better get the boat out Sunday morning because the fishing may be pretty good with the weather change coming.

Going to take the pickup down this morning and bring up a load of firewood I cut last week. If we get the rain they call for next week it will be too muddy to get down there. But if I'm going to do it, it's going to have to be first thing this morning before it gets too hot.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, expected to be near 90, no rain in almost 3 weeks

filled water tanks behind the tractor yesterday, I ran out of stored rain water and the well driller I sought to hire has not shown up.

I became frustrated with facebook and deleted my account with them because of issues with their new marketpace algorithm. before the new marketplace feature I could sell stuff on local trade sites, it was practical for marketing small amounts of stuff I produced on my homestead, the new marketplace feature released less than a year ago ties all trade sites together so an ad posted on one will be copied over to all others, so I see the same stuff posted everywhere in a 200 mile range (someone 200 miles away with a used video game console or tv floods all trade sites in a huge area despite than nobody will travel 200 miles for an old tube style tv from the 90s). they also ban all animals and animal products, even selling a horse trailer will be banned for having the word horse in the ad or a picture of a horse in the trailer, ads I put up offering fresh eggs get pulled, ads to trade surplus chickens, free kittens, etc, all automatically banned. firewood marketing hasn't been good either, just lots of stupid people harassing me for refusing to sell to them at half price. I started my facebook account as a means to access local trade sites, since they are no longer useful (although there are no alternatives in the area) I deleted my account. that's my daily rant since I have a huge stockpile of unsold eggs, and vast amounts of firewood and fence posts and other stuff my farm produced.

finished fencing in the yard the other day, there was a small gap behind my cabin, the fence on the yard was more to keep people out than livestock in, but I needed brush cleared around the yard so I completed the fence and opened the gate allowing the steers to wander the yard mowing all the brush down and overgown grasses. being able to leave the gate open all day also makes it a little faster to move firewood up from out back, will be doing that all day, although I have little room left to put it I got so much.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:31 PM

Setanta, here the facebook sale pages are by county. Such as Lincoln County buy sell trade, or Washington County buy sell trade. Here there is still livestock for sale and a lot of ag related stuff showing up each day.

I think all of the sale sites out there are subject to who owns the site. I know I have a facebook page, and I have a group page related to my you tube channel. People can post on my group facebook page, but if I don't like it I can remove it since I am the administrator of that group. All of the sale sites should work the same way. If a site doesn't want livestock, I'd say it has to be the administrator of that site that's making that decision. If facebook was doing it all the sites around here wouldn't be selling livestock.

My daughter belongs to a Nebraska horse buy sell page on facebook. Just last month she found a horse she was interested in, and last week placed an ad telling people what she was looking for, and got an answer from a woman in Minnesota. After looking at the initial videos, we may be having to make a trip up north to look at a horse.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Master Pontificator

out here the facebook trade sites are crazy,

maybe the trade sites are friendlier to farms and agriculture where you are but ny is second only to California when it comes to horrible places

Last edited by Setanta; 09-22-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Yeah it must be different parts of the country rather then facebook itself when it comes to livestock. I know my daughter does quite a bit of buying and selling of goats through various goat facebook groups.

A lot of places won't allow dog or cat sales, or even give away, but I can see that since the site would end up flooded with people trying to get rid of dogs or cats.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:38 AM
Master Pontificator

I got up at 3:0 a.m. this morning with a headache. Got up to take some Tylenol for the headache, and checked the weather station the wife has in the house. It was 74 degrees F and 88% humidity outside. We're beginning to need a rain, but not nearly as dry as most years at this time.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Master Pontificator

We are needing rain here, too. The temps are above normal with high humidity. Today was in the upper 80s but very dry with a nice breeze. Supposed to be hotter tomorrow. Can't wait for the real fall weather to start.

I would appreciate a little rain though.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:40 PM
Master Pontificator

week 3 with no rain, expected to peak around 90 today, sunny, and the forcast shows no rain for at least another week, but the temperaures will cool down by the weekend back to normal fall temps anyway.

completely pennyless right now, just got the cash I stashed aside to pay for a well and waiting for the driller to show up, despite having no other money I refuse to dip into that stash so I have only eaten the most bland stuff out of the pantry and drank only water (no garden this year, so unless I go buy stuff I only have enough in the pantry and cashes to last till may of 2018, if that's the case i'm saving the best for later and eating bland stuff now). rode my bike around all morning scouting and looking for cans, either someone else already picked them up or throwing cans out of cars has gone out of style. the only 2 I found are non refundable. got a huge stock of firewood but with the heat wave nobody is buying yet, and nothing else I produced on the farm has been selling lately either. just sitting around waiting now.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:25 PM
Master Pontificator

Finally had a few light rains the last few days, but not enough to affect the drought. Farmers are harvesting soybeans so the rains should help keep the dust down and hopefully reduce danger of combine fires. "Talk" is that the soybean crop is good but corn looks not to be so great.

I suddenly have a huge glut of tomatoes so I've been giving them away or they end up in the compost. It looks like I'll have a ton until frost. Garden is down to tomatoes, peppers and sweet potatoes. My plan is to dig sweet potatoes on Friday so hopefully I feel better by then. Ground should be softer due to rains but dry enough not to be a muddy mess -- at least that's my plan.

The extreme heat is gone and I hope done for the year. I love summer but not 90 with humidity at 77%. Can't even breathe when it gets that bad. Fall is really my favorite time of year with Spring a close second. Winter gets a thumbs down especially the snow and ice which is why I try to stockpile and hibernate.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
week 3 with no rain, expected to peak around 90 today, sunny, and the forcast shows no rain for at least another week, but the temperaures will cool down by the weekend back to normal fall temps anyway.

completely pennyless right now, just got the cash I stashed aside to pay for a well and waiting for the driller to show up, despite having no other money I refuse to dip into that stash so I have only eaten the most bland stuff out of the pantry and drank only water (no garden this year, so unless I go buy stuff I only have enough in the pantry and cashes to last till may of 2018, if that's the case i'm saving the best for later and eating bland stuff now). rode my bike around all morning scouting and looking for cans, either someone else already picked them up or throwing cans out of cars has gone out of style. the only 2 I found are non refundable. got a huge stock of firewood but with the heat wave nobody is buying yet, and nothing else I produced on the farm has been selling lately either. just sitting around waiting now.
Man, sorry to hear that things are so rough for you! If I were closer, I'd trade you food for firewood...but shipping stuff like firewood 3000 miles wouldn't be practical. We had a good garden and a great hunting season this year, along with a mediocre fishing season, so food is plentiful here, but I am getting too old to cut much firewood. We only use firewood as a back up for the house, but the workshop and our large greenhouse are still wood heated. 28F. here again this morning, but all of the frost-sensitive stuff is already in. The grandsons were here yesterday to help finish the potatoes, and my wife is out at the moment bringing in the stragglers of beans and peas she discovered yesterday. I still have the electric fence on to protect the Brussels sprouts, and we finished bringing in the celeriac last night.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Master Pontificator

we had rain every day through spring and early summer, by the time the flooding stopped it was too late to plant anything (mid july) I had 2 feet of water flooding the middle of the driveway alone. seems all the rain came early then no rain later in the growing season. its the heatwave that's mostly slowed firewood this year, I think anyway. my usual big customers have not bought anything, 1 moved away, 1 died, and the other owned the local general store , the store was bought out by the owner of a chain of stores in the area. the guy who used to own it would buy 30 to 40 cords a year and this year he just offered store credit rather than paying cash that i would just spend at his store anyway.

i had a mediocre garden in 2012, then an overproductive garden in 2013, then another in 2014, mediocre in 2015, last year i had too much debris to clean out and it was too wet this year. but i took the time to clear the debris, put in ditches to drain, and dumped large amounts of compost and manure and woodchips all over to plow under, next year should be a very good year.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 PM

Went from 90s to 60s, and picked up 4 1/2" of rain over the last 48 hours.

Thinking it's time to put up the remote control for the AC and bring out the remote for the electric fireplace.

Brought up a load of firewood and stacked it in the barn before the rain came. Have another load down there to bring up, and some more cutting to do.

A couple years ago I built a big pallet, 3' by 8', with one side and both ends closed up. I put the forks on my tractor, pulled the pallet out of the weeds, and filled it up with some of last years firewood I still had in the barn. Decided I'd split that first and move the split wood to the shed behind my house. Probably enough old wood on the pallet and in the barn for 3 pickup loads of split wood, which is enough for the shed by the house.

Probably bring up 3 or 4 more pickup loads from the river and that should last me through the winter. I changed my baseboard heaters before last winter and found I used a lot less wood. I want to add one or two more baseboards before winter so I really just need the firewood when it's real cold, and can go without other times if I don't want to mess with the wood stove.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:53 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, cool now around 60 degrees, the heatwave is over and the next week is expected to be in the 50s and 60s with nights in 30s and 40s. didn't rain all September and the forcast shows no rain in the next 2 weeks either.

yesterday I split 3 cords of wood then rode my bike 14 miles round trip to go pay school taxes.

this morning I split 2 more cords. taking a break now, not sure what i'll do this afternoon.

thinking of building a 3rd and maybe 4th chicken coop, the older coop houses just buff orpingtons, the second houses bantams and mixed whatevers, I am thinking of using some of the lumber I got milled up and building a coop for the whatevers, then another coop to house broilers next year. though I could use the left over lumber and roofing to build a 20x30 pole barn, haven't decided what the most useful structure would be, getting sick of splitting wood and that huge pile of lumber is a tempting diversion
Old 09-30-2017, 04:53 PM
Master Pontificator

60 and windy here today. I dug sweet potatoes and was amazed at my harvest. Standard size wheelbarrow full (not heaping just level) from 11 or 12 hills. Good size and quality too. So now I'm down to tomatoes and peppers which I'll leave until frost takes them. I do have stuff left to clean out of the garden, but that's a whenever type project.

Called for annual furnace inspection which will be soon I hope. It is dropping into 40's at night so I'll be wanting the heat soon.

Also called for Generac repairman again as generator has not been doing its weekly run. Just had it serviced/repaired in July so I'm not happy about this.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:41 PM

26 F. here this morning, and it is supposed to be colder tonight. The new greenhouse is almost complete thanks to help from my dear wife, and the aurora is coming out in full force. I have to repair my tiller so I can till when things are frozen and dry. I also have a couple little welding projects to finish before it gets real cold.