BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Communications/Computers/Software

Communications/Computers/Software Ask questions and offer help on anything to do with electronic communication, computing, or related areas.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 AM

Default Communication questions

In case cell phone are rendered useless, I'd like to purchase a dependable form of communication that I can use to communicate with the outside world. I'm exploring two options: HAM & GMRS (two way radio). (I'm not sure if I'd like to invest the time & $$$ for HAM.) I do have a couple of questions: Can the Government take down HAM Radio or the system that uses GMRS Two Way radio?

The appeal with HAM is the ability to communicate instantly world-wide if I have the license + equipment. Can you can trick out your GMRS two way radio with a repeater & antenna so that the distance is dramatically increased?

Thank you for your time in advance.

Last edited by Kimmy; 09-06-2017 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:29 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I guess the gov't could do just about anything, but I doubt they would bother. They CAN listen too everything you transmit, however, whichever mode you choose. Hams control repeaters as I guess you already know. I haven't heard of GMRS repeaters and don't know if they are even legal. Things to consider would be 1) what distance are you worried about and 2) what situations are you concerned about. Amateur radio is very useful in real disasters and emergencies such as we just had in Texas. It allows you to communicate long distance via HF even if all the phones are down to notify relatives in distant places that you are okay and safe. You cannot do that with GMRS, but GMRS can be used to talk with friends and relatives locally if they are not too far away--Ham VHF bands do the job better, however, since there can be repeaters. Search out a local amateur radio club and talk with them or attend a meeting. In this day and age, most of the Hams are old codgers since younger folks think the internet and phones will always be there--old guys know better and remember when things were simpler. The Ham clubs can tell you about classes and license exams and repeater frequencies and capabilities (some repeaters are more capable than others). I have both just in case....
Old 09-30-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Can you can trick out your GMRS two way radio with a repeater & antenna so that the distance is dramatically increased?
You can't add a repeater to any radio.
Repeaters are separately maintained signal boosters that are available to the public.

You can increase your range somewhat by raising antennas higher, but you're still limited by the wattage of your transmitter and any obstacles between you and the receiving stations.

It's not hard to get a basic HAM license, and those frequencies will give you greater range in most locations.

If you can "hit" a repeater you can talk over hundreds of miles even with a handheld transceiver.

You can also buy Ham transceivers and use them to listen only without any license. The license is only required to transmit. Many scanners will also monitor those frequencies.

http://forums.radioreference.com/get...ham-print.html

You can do a search for "Ham Repeater Locations" and see if there are any near you.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

"Can you can trick out your GMRS two way radio with a repeater & antenna so that the distance is dramatically increased?"

One would need to carry 2 units (TX/RX). Not really "Legal" but...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A263LSCPZJCHO0
*Robert Frost*