BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-07-2017, 01:23 PM

Default canning green tomatoes

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of canning green tomatoes for the first time and am wondering if folks have had any luck with this. Also, do you add water? Being that I am doing slices and not "squishing" them like I do with ripe tomatoes, I think I should add water. And how long do you process them for? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Boy, I've never known anyone to can green tomatoes except as pickles. I would be very careful since they won't have the acidity of ripe ones. If you pickle them. that is fine since the acidity is provided by the vinegar. I would consult an Extension person about times and such since pressure canning them may leave you with mush.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 PM
Master Pontificator

There are many people, I know who enjoy green tomatoes. Most often the green tomatoes are cubed or diced and made into a relish, rather than simply sliced green tomatoes.

Our copy of the Ball Blue Book Easy Guide to Tasty, Thrift Home Canning, Edition 28, published 1969, unfortunately does not include green tomatoes or green tomato relish in their guide. I am certain we have one of the Ask Jackie: Pressure Canning Books also, but I can not put my hands on it at the moment.

I do not think processing the green tomatoes would be that much different from processing ripe ones, but to be certain and get the correct information, I suggest you e-mail Jackie (of this magazine), or contact the local county agents office of the home extension service in your state. Each County should have an offices listed in the phone book.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Master Pontificator

I had to run into town for a little, but still had this thread on my mind, so when I got back I plugged in; Canning Green Tomatoes, and got a number of hits.

Cowgirls Country Life, at: cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com had a canning recipe and process time for sliced green tomatoes, she was canning in order to use in preparing fried green tomatoes when they were not in season.

I forgot about fried green tomatoes earlier, but give a look see at Cowgirls Country Life or any of the other recipes & process formulas which are pulled in from your own search which perk your interest.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-11-2017, 01:39 AM
Master Pontificator

I thought of this thread at lunch today when looking at the list of appetizers on the menu at a local fish & seafood establishment.

We went to a local fish & seafood establishment to eat out with some friends after church this morning and listed in their appetizers section was fried green tomatoes. We eat there ever so often and fried onion rings & cheese sticks are more commonly ordered as appetizers, but we decided to try their sampler tray of three different appetizers for a change and ordered the fried green tomatoes, egg rolls & the cheese sticks.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:20 PM

Thank you for your replies. I'm going to give the green ones a little more time, but if they don't go red, I'm going to give this a shot.