BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Ruger Scope Rings, What a PROBLEM?

I have never really cared for the new math. What I was taught arrived at the answer much faster with less effort and was easily checked.

Apparently Ruger has employed some engineers who want to impress the world with their new math skills, since they seem to believe it is essential to have scope mounts of two different heights to align the scope with the rifle barrel. Unless the rings are beveled using two different height rings will damage a scope so mounted, and the scope offset from the barrel at an angle ever so slight will never be parallel. The two angels will eventually intersect, but sighting in a rifle with such a mounting arrangement must be almost impossible to accomplish.

To further complicate the matter, one can not even believe Rugers own published information. Apparently more new math skills at work. Again according to their own website:
Their # 3 rings will mount a scope with up to a 32 mm diameter objective lenses,
Their # 4 rings will mount a scope with up to a 42 mm diameter objective lenses,
Their # 5 rings will mount a scope with up to a 52 mm diameter objective lenses, and
Their # 6 rings will mount a scope with up to a 62 mm diameter objective lenses.

I purchased a set of # 5 rings and they will not allow a scope with a 40 mm diameter objective lenses to be seated on the scope rings. Then I ordered a set of Leupold Ruger Super High(1.150) Rings. I was expecting to receive two rings of the same height, but no they are of different heights, although the molded container compartments shows identical heights, the contents of each compartments was certainly not of the same height. Now I have to purchase another set of Leupold Ruger Super High Rings in order to mount one scope. But I will have a spare set of rings, if I can find a scope they will mate to a rifle.

I have always preferred Ruger products to all others, but after this experience, I doubt I will be looking for anything Ruger. Stupid people can ruin any company!
Old 09-23-2017, 09:32 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Apparently Ruger has employed some engineers who want to impress the world with their new math skills, since they seem to believe it is essential to have scope mounts of two different heights to align the scope with the rifle barrel.
They do that because the receivers on their rifles are often stepped, which requires the bases to be different heights to place the bottom of the rings at the same level.

If you're having problems mounting Ruger rings on a Ruger rifle, odds are good you are mounting them in the wrong locations. Switch them back to front and see if things don't change for the better.

Varying heights on Ruger rings are not something new.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:35 PM

Ruger rifles come from the factory with a set of rings included in the box.

If you contact Ruger with the rifle model number and style, and the brand and specs of the scope you are trying to mount, there's a good chance they will just send you a set free of charge.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:42 PM

https://alaskaarmsllc.com/blogs/news...ruger-firearms

Quote:
Ruger manufacturers two groups of firearms; one group uses the same height ring front and rear and the other group uses different heights because the integral firearm bases are not the same height.

Additionally, your specific scope will further determine the correct ring heights. It is a good idea to visit the Ruger website and verify
Old 09-24-2017, 12:44 PM
Master Pontificator

I understand the Ruger Hawekeye Rifle does have a slant to the receiver necessitating the different height rings, but this is not a Hawekeye.

I have purchased three sets of rings, but did not realize the last set was also mismatched rings. It was a set of Leupold Super High rings, so now I have ordered a second set of identical Leupold Super High rings in order to have two matching pair and that makes four sets of rings I have purchased to have one working set of rings. But what concerns me more than anything else is their (Ruger's) own published information is absolutely 100% worthless. That is Pathetic!

It's all about the money, one Ruger ring cost anywhere from twice to five times what a set of Weaver rings cost! And they do not hold a scope any more secure than ANY OTHER BRAND of scope rings.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:42 PM

It's not "about the money".
You're buying the wrong rings for the rifle you have.

Leupold rings made to fit many Rugers will also be two different heights, and will work as they should if you ordered them for the correct rifle.

Putting two rings of equal height on many Ruger rifles will not work at all.

You need to contact Ruger and find out which rings are designed for your particular rifle.

Quote:
this is not a Hawekeye.

Quote:
I understand the Ruger Hawekeye Rifle does have a slant to the receiver necessitating the different height rings, but this is not a Hawekeye.
I really don't think you do understand.
Telling us what it's not is useless information.

There is no "slant" to the receiver.
There are 2 different heights where the scope rings mount.

The problem isn't the design of the Ruger rings.
It seems to be strictly operator error.

Quote:
But what concerns me more than anything else is their (Ruger's) own published information is absolutely 100% worthless. That is Pathetic!
Their published information is 100% correct.
You're just not reading the information for your particular rifle.

I've told you more than once how to easily resolve the problem, and it's not by continuing to buy the wrong rings.
You're going to end up with a damaged scope and lots of worthless mounts you don't need.

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 09-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
worthless mounts
No such thing as a worthless mount.
Justifiable excuses to purchase additional rifles.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Bearfootfarm, I have made a thorough search of all the Ruger rifles and there were more with stepped bases than I realized, however my rifle DOES NOT have stepped bases, and I am not as #@*)&(% STUPID as you think!

I will acknowledge when I stated a "slant to the receiver" my descriptive grammar was poorly considered, and certainly lacking in clarity. The term "offset^" would have been a much better choice. So I will give you a free pass at your inference of my ignorance for that one.

Let me repeat that over again one more time**, so you will have something else to complain about my intelligence, my rifle DOES NOT have offset or stepped bases. I have known that from the get go! However you kept insisting, I DID NOT UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEM, and proved you are not omnipresent with your insistence the rings were not the problem, but rather how I was mounting and/or using them was the problem. Insisting you knew better how to solve the problem with advice that was not even remotely applicable to my particular rifle did not particularly endear yourself, nor does it give one any hint of an indication that you are an Einstein either.

The Leupold Super High #49954 rings says nothing anywhere on the package about having two different height rings in the package, although it proudly proclaims them to be (1.150), and any normal person would consider that to mean both rings were 1.150 in height. The package is at the least false and misleading, with its present labeling, if it is not also illegally labeled! Otherwise the package would state whatever each individual ring actually measured, so the purchaser truthfully knows there are two different height rings being purchased. I was a victim of Leupold's vague & misleading labeling I admit, but had the Leupold package been properly labeled with ALL the information necessary to make an intelligent purchase, I would not have been suckered into the purchase of their products. But the next time I purchase a set of scope rings, you & Leupold can both rest assured, I will remember their products have vague, false and misleading labeling. Trick me once shame on you, trick me twice shame on me! I purchased the second set of the Leupold Ruger Super High #49954 rings so I would have a set of matching height rings, actually in this case two sets. You do remember my rifle DOES NOT HAVE STEPPED OR OFFSET BASES?

Ruger also has some extremely misleading published information concerning their rings when they clearly state their #4 ring mounts will handle scope up to a 42 mm objective lens, when I clearly had to have the equivalent of their #6 scope mounts just to get clearance for a 40 mm objective lens, although the #6 rings are reported to handle up to a 62 mm objective lens. I am especially happy I did not purchase the scope with the 56 mm objective lens, because it would have never mounted on my rifle, without having some very special scope mounts manufactured for its height.

And YES, the new scope DOES HAVE A 42 mm OBJECTIVE LENS, it says so on the box, the scope itself and it's objective lens matches the diameter of another scope I have not mounted which also states on itself and its box it has a 40 mm objective lens. So no the scope is not mislabeled with the incorrect size objective lens!

And finally before you jump to conclusions about my rifle having been modified or customized in some shape, form or fashion, rest assured IT IS 1000% FACTORY ORIGINAL IN EVERY WAY!!!!!

** a high school classmate would ask our English teacher that question, receive a 30 minute lecture and once she finished her lecture about the improper grammar usage, he would ask her to please repeat that over again one more time Mrs Smith#, so I thoroughly understand the concept. She finally caught on to the fact he was leading her on a rabbit chase which never resulted in catching any rabbits. So who was the smarter, the student or the teacher?

Next time you wish to thoroughly educate some ignorant fool in the proper procedures of how to solve a problem, you need to understand the problem, yourself.

offset^ = as being, in two separate geometrical planes.

Mrs. Smith# - The name was changed to protect the guilty!

Last edited by Jjr; 09-27-2017 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Bearfootfarm, I have made a thorough search of all the Ruger rifles and there were more with stepped bases than I realized, however my rifle DOES NOT have stepped bases, and I am not as #@*)&(% STUPID as you think!
And yet you keep buying the wrong rings for your rifle.

Quote:
The Leupold Super High #49954 rings says nothing anywhere on the package about having two different height rings in the package, although it proudly proclaims them to be (1.150), and any normal person would consider that to mean both rings were 1.150 in height.
They are both 1.150 in height when mounted on the correct rifle, and measured in the proper manner.

Quote:
Leupold Ruger M77 Ring Mounts 1" Super High Black 49954
https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/17662
Leupold designed these ring mounts in various sizes so you can mount any Leupold scope on a Ruger #1, M77, or 77/22 rifle.
Unless you're trying to mount those rings on a Ruger #1, a Model 77 or a 77/22, you've spent lots of money on the wrong mounts for your rifle.

You still haven't said what rifle model you have.
That's the only model that matters.

Once more, if you would simply contact Ruger with your model number and scope objective lens diameter, they will tell you which rings fit.

It won't be any of the ones you've bought so far.

Quote:
Insisting you knew better how to solve the problem with advice that was not even remotely applicable to my particular rifle did not particularly endear yourself, nor does it give one any hint of an indication that you are an Einstein either.
You don't know my advice isn't applicable because you haven't taken it at all.
You haven't really given anyone any data to work with since you keep telling us what rifle you don't have.

Quote:
Next time you wish to thoroughly educate some ignorant fool in the proper procedures of how to solve a problem, you need to understand the problem, yourself.

offset^ = as being, in two separate geometrical planes.
I understand the problem very well.
You're buying the wrong rings for your rifle.

https://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com...s-p-19887.html
Quote:
Product Description

Leupold Super High #49954
Leupold Ring mounts are designed to accommodate those firearms that have unique integral mounting systems, such as the Ruger 77, #1 and 77/22 models.

For the Ruger Model 77, standard ring mounts are available in both 1" and 30mm diameter models. The Ruger #1 and 77/22 employ the same ringmounts.
I'm not claiming to be Einstein, but I have been shooting for 60 years and spent 6 years working in a gun shop dealing with this sort of thing every day.

If you still think you know more about it though, just keep buying rings that don't work until you mismatch a set that makes you happy.

It's your money being wasted, not mine.

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 09-29-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
No such thing as a worthless mount.
Justifiable excuses to purchase additional rifles.
LOL
I've never needed any justification other than I wanted one and had some extra cash!
Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 PM
Master Pontificator

Bearfootfarm, obviously you can not understand simple grammar, so there is no way to carry on an intelligent conversation with someone whom insists they know the solution to a problem which does not and never has existed, at least for me.

No matter how many times you have been told my rifle does not have stepped bases, you still insisted that graduated or stepped scope rings were the ONLY solution to my problem. It is such a pleasure indeed to just have the privilege of communicating with ONE of such wonder & magnificent Omniscient knowledge, as you!

Old 09-29-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
No matter how many times you have been told my rifle does not have stepped bases, you still insisted that graduated or stepped scope rings were the ONLY solution to my problem. It is such a pleasure indeed to just have the privilege of communicating with ONE of such wonder & magnificent Omniscient knowledge, as you!
I never said any such thing.
I'm beginning to think you really can't read.

I said (more than once) you're buying the wrong rings for your rifle.
The problem isn't Ruger.
The problem isn't Leupold.

The problem is you keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result.

You've spent over $100 and still don't have the right rings when all you need to do is contact Ruger directly and ask them for the correct part number.

If you can't figure that out by now, I'd rather you didn't have access to a firearm.

You've gone on for days now and still haven't said what rifle you actually own.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:26 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
You've gone on for days now and still haven't said what rifle you actually own.
You need to know nothing more than it is a Ruger, THAT DOES NOT HAVE STEPPED BASES. If you can not understand that, no one should ever feel safe with you having a weapon in hand.

Boasting of working in a sporting goods store for 6 years you would make one think you had became a MASTER GUNSMITH, but I am beginning to understand the only thing you know how to do is phone someone else for advise on how to do things. Call Ruger, Call Ruger, Call Ruger, Call Leupold, Call Leupold, Call Leupold..... Your just a broke record. And for the record, I did phone Leupold, but the genius I spoke with there could do nothing more than provide inventory or model numbers for their scope rings. He apparently hadn't a clue to what they fit. I bet you & he could make a perfect pair.

I have installed quite a number of scopes over the years and never previously encountered a problem.

I have tried to be nice previously, BUT why don't you just take a flying leap out the tenth floor window trying to catch a rolling donut. It might improve your understanding of things.

Don't bother replying, because I probably will not be back to see anything more. A few people here I have enjoyed visiting, unfortunately most of them have already departed, because of jerks like you. There are a couple still remaining I will miss. But largely because of all the smug, egotistical, cocky, presumptuous, wise guys like you on their own self-serving, all important ego trips this forum is actual D-E-A-D, it just has not been buried yet.

When there is no one else left to have any dialogue with, enjoy talking to yourself in the mirror.......
Old 09-30-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
You need to know nothing more than it is a Ruger, THAT DOES NOT HAVE STEPPED BASES. If you can not understand that, no one should ever feel safe with you having a weapon in hand.
I understand that part quite well. You've told us several times what you don't have, which is just a waste of time.

What I don't understand is why you keep buying rings made for rifles that dohave stepped bases, as indicated by the part number you posted.

Quote:
And for the record, I did phone Leupold
I suggested that you call Ruger.
Ruger would likely send you a set of rings free of charge.
Instead, you just keep buying the wrong parts and blaming others for your own errors.

You evidently called Leupold and asked about "Ruger rings" without telling them which Ruger rifle you own.

Had you given them enough information, they could have helped you, as I have attempted to do.

Quote:
Boasting of working in a sporting goods store for 6 years you would make one think you had became a MASTER GUNSMITH, but I am beginning to understand the only thing you know how to do is phone someone else for advise on how to do things.
Wrong again.
The problem is I can't tell you what specific rings to buy if you won't say what specific rifle you own.
So again the problem is you, not anyone else.
It's like going into an auto parts store and saying "I need a starter for a Ford" then refusing to give any more information.

If you want to storm off in a huff that's up to you, but don't try to blame your lack of comprehension on me.

Just do like I said in the beginning.

Call Ruger, tell them the Model number or name of your rifle and ask them what rings you need.

Or don't.

I gave you the solution to your problem a week ago in Post #3, and now you have 4 sets of rings and probably close to $200 tied up in rings that still aren't correct for your rifle.

I won't try to help you anymore.
You don't listen anyway.

Last edited by Bearfootfarm; 09-30-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:38 AM

Default Ruger American?

Is it a Ruger American ? If so folks are having problems fitting bases/rings/scopes. Seems some place in the Ruger safety manual they have the number of Weaver parts that fit.

With that being said, some guys have had to turn bases around to get the fit they like.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
Is it a Ruger American ? If so folks are having problems fitting bases/rings/scopes. Seems some place in the Ruger safety manual they have the number of Weaver parts that fit.

With that being said, some guys have had to turn bases around to get the fit they like.
That's probably what he has since it's one of the few Ruger rifles that don't use Ruger rings.

It comes with the bases if I'm not mistaken.