BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:29 AM
Master Pontificator

Default October 2017

sunny, around 35degrees

split stacked and hauled firewood all day yesterday, planning the same today. hoping sales pick up, I only sold $150 worth of wood last month (normally I make 10x that in September). going to be hauling splitting and stacking again today.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Junk in the Trunk Sale....

Bright, sunny, but only about 7C (about 43F) Saturday.
Also, Saturday was the fall "Junk in the Trunk" sale.. Something over a hundred sellers in the big parking lot of the Exhibition Center. The spring sale is called "Loot in the Boot" sale. Only spent $5.. A lot of stuff there, just not much I really needed. Got 20' of wire chain for $1. Use it to hang feeders in the chicken house. Got 4 -5 square meters of cotton denim weight camo cloth for $2, to use for craft projects. And a large coffee..

Have hay for this winter hauled and stored. Wildcat dug a couple hills of potatoes and we made Perogies. Mashed red potato, minced onion, bacon bits, cheddar cheese powder. Will be good this winter. Bagged in the freezer.

In the river bottom where town is, fall leaf color is about 60%. Up on the plateau in our bush, it is 100% color change with 2 hard frosts now. One good wind will have 90% of the leaves on the ground quickly. Light drizzle almost every morning the last week or so. About 2" rain accumulation total guessing by the water in the garden wagon. My rain gauge got too close to the BBQ grill somehow so it is not useful anymore.

The usual fall mouse activity has turned into an all out invasion this year. I think I have caught at least one or more a day for 2 weeks now in the wood shed. Chicken house catch has averaged 3-4 mice a week. By looks of them there are at least 3 different varieties of mice I've caught so far. I will persevere and prevail.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Good luck with the mouse invasion. We don't have as much trouble with that now that our only livestock is a few chickens. 21 F. here this morning and everything is white with frost. It is supposed to get a little warmer and wetter starting tonight. No snow down here yet, but it is creeping down the mountains pretty far...any day. Probably the last batch of tomato sauce was canned yesterday, and the new greenhouse is weathered-in. It was 78 F. in there yesterday and 40 F. outside, so with a little caulking and some thermal mass to even things out, it should be good for the winter. I had to buy a few things for it, but mostly it was pieced together from things around the place.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM

Looks like it's going to be a cloudy and rainy week coming up.

Got about 4 1/2" of rain last week, and another 1/2" overnight. Not sure what's coming this week, but one forecaster had us at another 1 1/2" to 2" this week.

Thinking of going out this afternoon yet and moving my 3' by 8' pallet of wood that needs splitting. If it's going to rain off and on most of the week I thought I'd set the pallet so I can take wood off, split it, and then put it back on the pallet. Then once it dries out I can use the tractor to bring the pallet up to the shed by my house.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:17 PM

Default Envious...

I am envious when I read of the goings on at your homesteads.

October finds me working out of town, 6 / 12's (6 days per week, 12 hours per day, no, I'm on salary so this isn't some great windfall).

The weather in Lower Alabama is tolerable, starting to cool off...

But I miss my family in Georgia and our homestead in the hills of Tennessee.

Better than starving, though.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:06 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, around 75 at peak but was around 39 at first light

had lots to do today, biked over 35 miles in a loop to conduct some business here and there, left by moonlight and it was much colder because of the windchill. didn't get back home till 11, and did so with about 30lb of supplies on my back (10lb was nails). had bean and rice burrito for lunch, then was out sawing till I ran out of gas, ended up just short of filling a 2 cord rack.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Moose broke down a couple of fences last night. Fortunately most of the cabbage was already in. They damaged a few of the apple trees, though, so that may reduce next year's harvest. There was a cow and two yearling bull calves hanging around, so they were probably the culprits. 40 F. and raining at the moment.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Seems like the rain just doesn't want to quit. Last week I had 4 1/2" over 48 hours. Then over the past 2 or 3 days I've had another 2". Today should be dry, but Thursday and Friday they show a 90% chance of rain, and say we should get another 2".

Another week or so and we'll be close to mid October, and I haven't seen anyone start with the corn or bean harvest. As a matter of fact I go by a seed corn field each day and that's still in the field, which is really late.

Rifle deer season is about 5 weeks away, and it's going to be pretty tough if a lot of corn is still in the field. Wish I would have gotten more firewood out of the woods. With the heat gone it's going to take a long time to dry this ground out enough for me to feel safe taking my pickup down to haul out wood. I do have a couple pickup box trailers. A couple years ago I hooked one up behind the other and then hooked both up behind the tractor. Might have to think about that again this year.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny this morning then clouds and rain this afternoon

built walls onto my hay wagon, built some better nest boxes for the second chicken coop, gathered up 2 dozen trash cans worth of pine needles and small wood chips and spread them out on the floors of the coops, I ran out of wood shavings and am too cheap to go buy more when I don't have any money to spend. I did spend $135 today though and refilled all my empty gas cans and some propane tanks.

got a notice from the dmv that I need to renew my drives license next month, thats $100 I don't feel like wasting since I haven't owned a truck most of the year and unless I find a dufflebag full of cash on the roadside I won't be able to afford one for the forseeable next 4 years (even if I did have the money I would probably buy another tractor, tractor implements, or lots of feed). they also require that I go get an exam done by an authorized eye doctor who has to sign off on some paperwork that needs to be turned over to the dmv, I have no insurance so that's going to be an additional $200 out of pocket expense (I had it done a few years ago and bought 4 identicle pairs of glasses, back when I still worked for the tribe) I looked into it and it looks like I can still drive my tractor around for farm work without a license, so I probably won't have one after next month.

Last edited by Setanta; 10-05-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Master Pontificator

Weather has been cold at night, upper 30's and warms up to the 70's during the day. But really dry. It's been weeks since we have seen any measurable rain, but that looks like it may change over the weekend into the beginning of next week. Hope so.

Setanta, you might want to rethink letting your license lapse. If you do get another truck, you'll have to take that blasted test again, won't you? I know you don't want to spend the money, but it might be worth it. Your new license is good for four years as well, so that might not be much to pay to be able to drive, just in case something does crop up. Just a thought.

I need to pick up the next years straw in the next two weeks, but first I need to sweep out the shed. Not big project but I'm super busy working right now so finding the time isn't as easy as it should be. Hubby bought 3 cords of wood to get him through the winter but we need to go pick it up. That probably won't happen till the end of the month as he will be away delivering parts to customers at the last two engine shows of the season. I'll be glad when that's done as he is working 10-14 hours a day, 7 days a week right now. Which also means a lot of the bigger projects that require two of us have gone on the back burner for now. But those jobs need to be done before the snow flies.

I'm still getting tomatoes, beans and peppers from the garden, but I'll be putting that to bed for the season very soon. Still need to plant the 3 huge mums that I bought from the FFA last week, then I think most of the gardening will be done. Time to plan for the spring of 2018!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:56 PM

Default shopping trip

Is it winter time already ? yesterday we went and got a 3/4 ton pickup~ a chainsaw ~a skill saw and a old wood stove &some pipe to heat our home with this coming winter.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Master Pontificator

overcast, around 60, expecting rain today

yesterday I used homemade ramps and a comealong to load smaller logs onto a trailer (my tractor with a loader is in the shop, and I can't load bigger logs onto the better wagon without it, so I rigged up an alternative). I hauled them over to an amish mill and paid $40 for milling, went back in the evening and picked up the trailer full of lumber, enough to make the floors of chicken coop #3 and the sugarhouse. while I waited for the logs to be milled I rode home and cut about 6 cords of junk pine into firewood (clearing the spot between 2 maple stands so I can build the sugarhouse, and lots of junk pine around it to burn as fuel for boiling sap).

I put firewood ads up on the local craigslist and listed my atv for sale (with a trailer, 1 bottom plow and cultivator, basically all the stuff for using as a mini tractor, was going to use the funds to buy a 3rd tractor). for some reason people keep flagging my ads as inappropriate so they keep getting tken down, I have no idea whats offensive about firewood so I can only assume the same peta hippies who harassed me all over facebook recognized me on craigslist and started flagging my ads there (they started harassing me when I tried selling some old traps and they started after me with the "fur is murder" garbage, to which I sent them pictures of raccoons I shot outside the chicken coop, and pictures of steak dinners, that really pissed them off more).
Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 PM

Front came through last night so today was high in the mid 50s with a strong NW wind. But tomorrow is still suppose to be rainy.

Last few days of Sept I had about 4 1/2" of rain. Had a couple days to dry out and then over the last week I've had another 4 1/2" of rain. Yesterday and today were dry, but as I said tomorrow that will change. I don't think we get a lot this time, and the rest of the week looks sunny.

Yesterday and today I split some wood,and put it on my big pallet. I moved it to the wood shed by my house this afternoon and got it all unloaded. Should be about 2 pickup loads of split wood in there now. I refilled the pallet with some more wood that needed to be split and set it by the splitter. Did a little splitting yet this afternoon, and will finish it off tomorrow when I get back from work.

Once I get that is the wood shed by the house later in the week I should have between 3 and 4 pickup loads split.

I have some wood up from the river and more down there cut up. Just need to go down and cut a little more, then get is all hauled up and put in my tractor barn, which is where I keep my splitter. I'll need it to dry out a little before I can haul it up.

Spent quite a bit of time last week going back and forth to the hospital. My mom is 98 and we had to admit her to the hospital because she wasn't getting her breath. Fluids were the problem, but her kidneys were having a hard time getting them out since her heart was only working at about 35%. It's been beating for almost a century, so I guess it's getting tired.

Today she was able to leave the hospital, but could not go home since she has lived by herself with my sister living about 100 feet away in her house. We found a spot where she could get skilled therapy for while. But I think even if she gets a little better it will never be enough to live by herself. My sister is 75, so she's getting too old to properly care for her too in a situation like that.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:21 AM

Default Red Pontiac......

With the thought "Red Pontiac" some of you guys will likely have memories of a muscle car from the 60s and likely a cheer leader to go with it. Not this time.

Yesterday was Thanks Giving Day in Canada. We had Red Pontiac potatoes, carrots, and pumpkin pie.. All home grown except the bird. Turkey is just too cheap at the stores to mess with as they do not do well here.

Have been having usual fall afternoon rain showers. Todays shower turned to snow in less than one minute. All on a very brisk north west wind. About 99.99% of the leaves are on the ground now. It is the season here in the GWN....
Old 10-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Master Pontificator

lucky if you don't have turkeys, out here we got vast numbers running wild and they cause more damage to local crops than the deer do. I thought about keeping turkeys but buying the poults runs $10 to $20 each (week old turkeys). much easier to just shoot the wild ones when they raid the garden
Old 10-11-2017, 04:46 PM

We raised turkeys for years, but sold out last year. They did well, especially the heritage breeds that could forage and avoid predators.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Talking up and down

Temps were good for about a week 70's and some wind. Now it finally rained after 2 weeks and the H% + temp is close to the amazon.
Have a few trees that need to come down a big oak and 24"+ hickory. Cut down the lighting struck hickory a while back. It need cut up some more and split. Lots of small branches down from the storms. Acorns by the pound being swept off the driveway.

Muzzleloader deer season starts Saturday Oct 13.

Gasoline prices are down a tad 2.30-40 range.

I have attended 2 GA Bushcraft events. Here's a pic from Clayton GA Foxfire festival this past weekend Oct 7.

Discussing my Isaac Haynes flintlock and flint Steel strikers
The fella in green behind me is Hank. I was telling the crowd about rifle balance.

Selling a few odds and ends here and there. Ordered 20 lbs of English flint flakes and more strikers[25]. Found a blacksmith who is making me up some forged strikers for the folks who want to keep a traditional steel in there pouch. I'll start with 5 forged ones and if they come out as I've been told, I'll take 20 more.

Firearms business for me here has sunk to new lows. I can order the same stuff, same prices yet people run to another county to make purchases. ???

Other than that still kicking here in NE GA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bpbtalkrifle.jpg (12.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg bpbhankriflebalance.jpg (14.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by blackpowderbill; 10-11-2017 at 06:06 PM. Reason: add stuff
Old 10-13-2017, 10:42 PM

Default Moose vandalism

The bears down the creek must be gone now since the Coho run is over, and there has been a constant stream of moose parading through the property. Things are certainly changing. I don't know if it is because there are more people around than there used to be, or some other factors. We never had moose in the summer here until there last few years, but now they are a constant threat. I have seen six moose come through in the last two weeks--four of them were bulls that appeared to be in rut and one with a radio collar around its neck. We have a fish-cleaning station down by the creek that has been there for 20 years with no problems; two days ago it was destroyed by a moose. I have a tall raised bed for potatoes in an old garden space down the driveway; last night the entire structure was trashed. Moose season is already over here so I can't legally shoot it unless I am in danger. I was approached by one of the males when I was out in the garden space with the dog (on a leash). He came trotting toward me and I picked up a stick and tossed it at him with no affect. I hit a metal cart nearby with a chunk of 2x4, and that startled him enough that he ran away and circled around the fence to approach me from another direction. I managed to get the dog and myself into the house without harm, but I am going to start carrying a weapon around the property. We haven't had to do that before except in the deep of winter when everything is near starvation. Whatever destroyed the two structures was not seen by us, but I haven't checked the cameras yet. Hopefully, they will go away and not come back, but I fear they are here for the winter.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:17 PM

Our first day completely below freezing. High here yesterday was 28 F. and it is predicted to be colder from now on, so I guess winter has begun. No snow on the ground at this level yet, but it is low on the mountains and since the ground is now cold, it will stick when it falls.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM

Good morning!

This is my last day in sunny, smoky California! I fly home today. Napa Valley was hit hard by the fires, though I do not know how bad it is, yet. I don't think anyone knows how much damage was done to homes, businesses, and grapes: the last I herd the fire was still burning and the smoke is traveling at least 100 miles

I had a lovely visit, and found out that my SIL now has "The 5 chickens of the apocalypse" that she has named Death, War, Pestilence, Famine, and Fred. She puts colored zip ties around their feet so that they can be told apart: they are all Leghorns. She already had 2 stray hens before she was offered 5 chicks for the cost of 2, and they are now swimming with eggs and giving them away to whoever wants them. So far, they are keeping up with the egg output.

It is a shame they live so far away from us: this was a very fun visit.