BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:33 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Weather had been and will be above normal all week. 70s and sunny has really got the farmers out with their combines taking out beans and corn. Might be some wet stuff this weekend, so I expect them to put in some long hours between now and then.

Need to get a little more wood cut, but hopefully I should have plenty of time for that. This week has been busy with my mom. Hospital to nursing home to hospital and now back for hospice. At 98 she says she's tired and had enough, no more treatments for anything.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Master Pontificator

Sorry to hear about your Mom, hunter88. I'll keep her and you in my prayers.

Weather had been unseasonably warm and overcast for days. The chickens actually started laying fewer eggs, so the cold and sun have been welcomed today. Woke up the last 2 days to temps in the mid 30's with daytime highs in the upper 50's lower 60's. Suppose to warm up into the lower/mid 70's through early next week. Just in time for hubby and son to go to the last tractor/engine show of the year. The weather will make their trip and camping much more enjoyable.

Cleaned the chicken coop, got the windows put back in and cleaned the shed. Then went and bought enough straw to last till next fall. So the chickens are set. Picked a bushel of peppers before the frost, but the plants still seem to be doing okay, as are the beans and a few stray onions. Tomatoes are done, so I'll pull those this weekend. I'll be glad to put the garden to bed and get some rest. Much as I love to garden, I'm ready to wrap it up.

Work has been picking up and the income is much appreciated, but it's slowing down progress around here. Things should get better when hubby gets back from the show, as he has been working 7 days a week, 12-14 hours a day for the last 7 weeks getting ready, so he hasn't been around to get anything done.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Weather had been and will be above normal all week. 70s and sunny has really got the farmers out with their combines taking out beans and corn. Might be some wet stuff this weekend, so I expect them to put in some long hours between now and then.

Need to get a little more wood cut, but hopefully I should have plenty of time for that. This week has been busy with my mom. Hospital to nursing home to hospital and now back for hospice. At 98 she says she's tired and had enough, no more treatments for anything.
Thoughts and Prayers sent. I know you are cherishing every last minute you have with Her.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:03 PM

Default Out House Mouse....

Since last post it has been cold, gloomy, nnw winds with our early morning and late afternoon rain coming as wet snow. It sticks to the grass, and in shady areas but roads, driveway and such pretty much melts off each day. Must be our down wind of what has kept Doninalaska below 0 degrees of late.
---
Last of the potatoes, brussell sprouts, onions out of garden. Asparagrass clipped off and mulched. Garlic planted and mulched. Green tomato Chow Chow all in jars and stored. Small potatoes yet to can. All set for winter now.
--
Right after last post fish guy from the coast came to town. He was delayed by forest fires etc. He said he will try to make a trip here near Christmas, but no promises. Otherwise it will be about May. Have a big bag of goodies in freezer to last a bit.
---
Last spring was rampant mouse issues in buildings. Past summer not so much but this fall it is back to rampant. Used the out house the other day to find a mouse had chewed the tail of the paper off right up to the coffee can that sits over the roll on the shelf. Also chewed off the string on the pen for the "guest book" Little bugger. Have been catching several a day in all the other buildings.
--
Hunter. Sorry to hear your family issues. From experience know at times there comes a time to let nature take it's course. The kindest thing to do when necessary.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:43 AM
Master Pontificator

I got my final print issue of Backwoods Home this week. Makes me very sad. I don't have smart phone or kindle so I guess I'm done with reading this wonderful magazine.

Prayers for your mom at Hospice. My mom turned 96 last week. She still lives independently in her own home and drives around her small town. Still she commented she wanted to die as she's tired of the daily struggle. I dread the day she has to go into a nursing home as she will battle us 100%.

Our weather has been unseasonably warm with temps in upper 70's although that is due for a sharp change tomorrow with warnings of possibility of severe storms. We had a frost warning early in the week, but no frost. I have most of my garden cleared off but left peppers and cherry tomatoes that are still producing. Japanese beadles got the other tomatoes even eating the green ones.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:48 AM

Down to zero Fahrenheit (about -17.7 C.) this morning and it looks colder tonight. It is supposed to warm up a little and snow over the weekend. It really feels cold for the first time since March. The ground is frozen several inches deep and thee is ice across the lake...but it is not thick enough to walk on yet.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:04 PM

Still been warm, but yesterday a front came through and cooled it a bit. Just missed the rain, it was to the east, and I'm sure the farmers are happy about that. Looks like cold weather coming next week. I saw a few days in the 40s.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Mom is still hanging in there, but it shouldn't be much longer. This morning she asked me what the date was and I told her the 22nd. Mom was always big on dates.

A little later she said, so I'm going to die on the 22nd. I said mom, yesterday was the 21st and you said you were going to die on the 21st but you didn't. So you're not doing to good predicting things. She laughed a bit.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:42 PM

Wanted to thank everyone again one more time, and say mom passed away this morning at 10:45. My sister and I were both there so we felt very fortunate we could be there. Right up to yesterday afternoon she was able to talk to her children and grandchildren which I know meant a lot because she always said her mother never knew her the last 6 years of her life.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Many of us are at the stage of our life where we have or will soon deal with this kind of issue.

Sorry for your loss Hunter.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Wanted to thank everyone again one more time, and say mom passed away this morning at 10:45. My sister and I were both there so we felt very fortunate we could be there. Right up to yesterday afternoon she was able to talk to her children and grandchildren which I know meant a lot because she always said her mother never knew her the last 6 years of her life.
Condolences to you and your family, Hunter. I work with Hospice and watch this in other families. I am glad your mother was cogent to the end.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:20 AM

I have a lot of respect for hospice workers. To go out there everyday going from family to family always in situations like this has to be hard. Not the type of job I could do.

Looks like at least one more warm day tomorrow when they say it should get to the low 70s. It's been very windy the last day or so with gusts up to 40 mph. In my daughter's case a breeze is a good thing. They've had a skunk in their barn for quite some time. It had gotten to the point it was too friendly not even bothering to move when someone came in the barn. And she said it was huge. Well the other night they said that was enough and her husband shot it while it was sitting inside a big rubber tub with cat food in it. The hope was she would die there and keep as much stink in the tub a possible. It worked out that way, but the barn still reeks. So the west garage door is open enough to let the wind blow through hoping to air the barn out.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Master Pontificator

overcast and rainy today.

first time since the 11th that I had access to internet, I have over 100 cords of wood for sale but with temperatures still in the 70s there is just no seasonal demand yet. pinched all my pennies and skipped a phone card. my neighbor who lives down south but owns the old farm north of me came up for the week, he bought me a bag of catfood and gas to trade for lumber to build his outhouse (which I helped him with all day today) since I didn't have to hold onto the little money I had waiting for rides to get gas and catfood (rides that never showed up when I rode out to use a phone to call people) I was able to put the money on a card.

flat broke, warm sunny weather for weeks except today anyway, so I cut lots more wood. bad news is that as I type this I am eating an apple and I just found out one of my upper wisdom teeth needs to be pulled, it just broke apart into 3 big pieces with the remainder just at the gum line. that's gonna be a problem, its now one of 3 teeth like that that I can't afford to have pulled.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Hunter, so sorry for your loss. But what a blessing to have been with her at the end.

Setanta, sorry to hear things are rough. I'll pray for colder weather so there is a need for all your firewood. Hopefully, things will turn around soon.

Weather seems to be bouncing from warm to colder here. We haven't used the heat yet, but there were a few mornings when we should have had a fire going. Were supposed to get 1-3" of rain yesterday, which we could use, but the storm went east of us and all we got was a 1/4". Oh well, at least the garden is mostly finished. Still getting a few peppers here and there and found a few more onions that decided to grow when the leaves starting falling off the trees.

Been really busy with the grooming, which has been a blessing. Hubby just returned from the last tractor/engine show of the season, and thankfully some people paid their bills on delivery. Now it's time to get more stuff done around here before the bitter weather arrives. But that will have to wait until after my Dad's 76 birthday party on Sunday!~
Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, around 70 degrees

spent 2 days helping my neighbor with his outhouse, then he spent yesterday and today helping put my sawmill together. the mill theoretically takes 16 foot lumber but realistically only will do 14 foot logs with a little extra. very basic bandsaw mill, should be able to mill at least half the logs I have. won't be very precise but I should be able to churn out lots of rough lumber at almost no cost. so that's a game changer out here, and eventually I can replace the crappy cabin I live in with a better crappy cabin.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:52 PM

Condolences Hunter.

Thoughts and Prayers for You and Family.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
overcast and rainy today.

I just found out one of my upper wisdom teeth needs to be pulled, it just broke apart into 3 big pieces with the remainder just at the gum line. that's gonna be a problem, its now one of 3 teeth like that that I can't afford to have pulled.
Ouch, Dude. That sounds horrible.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:43 PM

Just back from 10 days at the property Up North.

Now have a brush cutter behind the tractor, and using that and hand tools, cleared out about .5 mile of additional trails on the property.

Includes expanded shooting lanes, and atv access trails to 2 of three stands on the property.

Bonus brush cutting was opening up a semi-cleared area so I will have enough space to plant 4-6 apple trees.

Snowed at home, but doesn't look like it will stay on the ground.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:50 AM

Well it was that time of the year to take the summer comforter off the bed and put on the winter comforter. Yesterday was 38 for a high and 22 degrees this morning, so that's our first good hard freeze. Started the wood stove for the first time last night.

Wind has been terrible the last week. 20 to 30 mph winds most days and one day had gusts over 50 mph. Tomorrow they say 5 to 10 mph and a high of 60. I'm thinking one more chance to get the boat out, so I think it's time to go fishing.

Kachad, sounds like you've been busy doing some of the same things we've been doing, moving deer stands and clearing out shooting lanes. After getting the tree stands ready we checked out our enclosed stands. Last spring I put mothballs in both enclosed stands and that seemed to keep all the critters out. Opened the doors this fall and they looked just the same as we left them last year.

Need to pick up some new mothballs for my boat. I like to keep mice out from the under the boat cover over the winter, and mothballs does the trick.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear of your mom's passing.
Hugs old friend.

Its been awhile since I have been on BWH.
I was willed a house and car in South Dakota.
I moved here in July.
I left Texas just before Harvey destroyed my former home and 7 others--a wall of water literally blew them up.
Fate--luck---good luck--I will not question it.
I am adapting---waiting on my first snow--i have never seen snow.
But this wind can find some place to be.
It was gusting at 40mph---made our wind chill at -7.
I like the cold but hate the wind which is a SD product.
I am only 22 miles from ND so it stands to reason.

I am still over-coming.
Old house has massive plumbing problems and the pipes are buried in tons of concrete in my basement---Yes I have abasement--another first.
I have an upstairs---a deck I am going to work on for the summer.
I have a pantry that was stocked with can goods and an emptu huge freezer that I am trying to fill.
The price of beef or bacon here is a Kings ransom.
Pork is the meat ----its the cheapest.

I am looking for my glass to be half--full.
Will I stay I dont know.
An ole Texan in the Dakotas--now thats funny and yes folks ask me where I am from--Alabama? I get a giggle out of that one.

Its so good to see some old timers---its gotten thin around here.

Its been fall here for ever.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM

Welcome back and welcome to the North, Annie!! This forum is not very active anymore, but communicating still goes on. Hope all is well with you and that you survive your first winter....