BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food > Beverage Making

Beverage Making Beer, wine, mead, soda, cider, spirits, cordials, etc.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:06 PM

Default Cider press

Finished picking the apples today. The last of the Winesaps are off the tree and stored. We have the potential for lots of apples in a 'good' year and are thinking of getting a cider press. What kind do you have? Why do you like it? Why don't you like it? Is it worth the money to get one that has an attached grinder? Are cider presses hard to clean?
Thanks for any help!
Old 10-29-2017, 12:40 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

We don't have one, but my neighbor has one--I don't recall the make, but it was hand-made in Oregon and shipped up here. They have a small commercial orchard that sell apples, cherries, and various types of fruit trees that are hardy up here. Every year they have a "cider Pressing" in October after they have pressed all the apples they need for themselves. They invite friends and customers to a "bee-type" party to press their own or purchased apples on their press. From their experience, I would say get a press with a grinder attached--the yield of cider is much greater with ground apples, and having it attached makes the transfer simpler than carrying the pulp from a separate grinder to the press. I am sure there are plans online for such a press, and there are also books available with instructions. My neighbor's press and grinder is not tough to clean, and he requires each customer to do a quick clean when they are done pressing. He uses a garden hose and a high pressure nozzle to do most of the clean-up on his and has no trouble.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:35 AM

Default Doninalaska

Thank you!