BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default The Fourth Great American Lie

It's been said that American men lie about three things: their salary, their gas mileage and the number of women they've had. I'm beginning to think we can add a fourth-- how much energy their PV systems generate

On another forum, we're discussing PV and lifestyle changes. Two guys, one in Maine & the other in Washington (PNW) claim to have ~4000W systems, yet one claims to run his house, farm and car- driving 25mi/d (!) completely off grid without making too much effort to conserve, while the other claims to run his house (with electric heat (!) off grid without any lifestyle sacrifices.

Are they lieing or am I stupid? ( It's a rhetorical question--Don't answer that!)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:35 PM

Ummm.... Stupid seems a relative thing. For instance, I know they do brain surgery, but know nothing about it. I am also quite illiterate about electricity, especially solar.

But it seems to me most people are quite naive about thinking switching from grid to home backup or other home power systems is/should be totally seamless. I'm sure it isn't that way. I have worked on large hospital systems for instance that were quite complete in nothing being left not powered, but not totally seamless in the change over.

I guess I don't get what people expect.
My 5 cents.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

If they have a grid tie system, they could make such claims. Being "Off Grid" with 4000 watts and to heat a home... I call BS..

They's both from potential "Green Weenie" territory and like to flash their badge so be careful..
*Robert Frost*
Old 11-02-2017, 11:49 AM

That's what I think too.

The guy from Maine claims he charges his hybrid car and drives it every day until the batteries go out and it switches to the ICE. He doesn't say what brand of car it is, but Chevy says their Volt has a battery pack holding ~ 12kW-hr (~ 30 mi range). ME has ~3 hr of winter sun @ 4kW PV = 12kW-hr....so he can't have anything left for house or "farm." He claims no grid hook-up.

That site has a lot of TreeHuggers who seem to think the only things involved in "Green Living" have to do with avoiding co2 or using reusable shopping bags instead of plastic ones.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:29 AM

That site has a lot of TreeHuggers who seem to think the only things involved in "Green Living" have to do with avoiding co2 or using reusable shopping bags instead of plastic ones.

------ Many of this type of person we run into want to scold us for heating with wood for what it puts in the air etc.. Wood heat is an all natural things. But when they feel a chill, instead of putting on a sweater, they go to the wall and turn up the natural gas furnace. What do they think that puts out ? Or where it comes from ? Or what it takes to keep it available (fracking) ??
Don't get me started...
Old 11-03-2017, 08:38 AM

I get a kick out of all those hypocrites who camped out in teepees all summer in Dakota to protest the new pipeline: how did all those GreenFreaks get to the campsite?....in cars and buses made of and burning petroleum products.

Those concerned "environmentalists" are being used as dupes by the political types trying to take away American success & sovereignty.

In regards wood burning-- have you seen what the price of wood burners has done since the EPA has got involved with regulations? Doubled! All for protecting our closest neighbors a mile away who are also probably burning wood. What's up with that?
Old 11-07-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
It's been said that American men lie about three things: their salary, their gas mileage and the number of women they've had. I'm beginning to think we can add a fourth-- how much energy their PV systems generate
People often lie about things, never realizing everyone can tell they are liars.

The worst though are the ones who lie while trying to sell you something.
They will even lie about that, pretending they are "just trying to help".
Old 11-24-2017, 05:40 PM

We've been living off of the power grid for 21 years, in the northern Rockies. It is a small system with 4, 50 watt panels and one 100 watt panel, a 400 watt wind generator, four Trojan 6 volt golf cart batteries, and a 2500 watt power inverter. For six months, I don't have to run a gas powered generator. Also, all of the big power items are run off of propane (refrigerator, range, drier, water heater). The propane usage is a fact of life at this latitude. The sun is just too low in the sky for six months to make electricity with the PV panels. The windmill only turns when storms blow in and out in winter, which is fairly frequent, but not enough to make much of a difference.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:55 PM

Location: Cleveland Ohio,, *For now :) Till I can build my new Home.

4,000 watt system with electric heat,,,, And maybe a Tiny house? or maybe just a frugal power user to begin with? And do they mention cooking and water heating? I have a radiant hot water floor system in a cabin of mine. If I run the pumps on electricity,, but the hot water tank on gas,,, Nope that is still a gas heating system..