BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Master Pontificator

Default November 2017

heavy cloud cover, cold and wet, around 38 I think

went to the transfer station yesterday, took most of the day by tractor, cost $15 to get rid of 6 months of trash, also picked up a nice chest freezer someone threw out (they make a nice feed bin), picked up the last of the lumber I had an amish mill do a month ago (their mill broke, so I just left the logs and picked up the lumber when I could).

found where all my mouse traps kept disappearing to, I set traps all under the cabin eves and kill 2 or 5 mice a night but the traps I never found on the ground in the morning, this morning one of my cats was carrying a dead mouse with a trap on it. lazy cat not catching them himself, just taking them when their dead in the traps
Old 11-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Well saw the first snowflakes of the season yesterday. Didn't accumulate just a few floating in the air.

Got an electric baseboard heater added in my kitchen the other day. Wanted to add one more to see if that would help keep the house warm enough. Seems I now have enough to keep things comfortable, though when it gets real cold I'm sure I'll need the wood stove to help out some.

I'm still cutting plenty of wood for heat, but I'm looking down the line to a time when I may not be able to do that and have to buy some wood.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:48 PM

It was a dark and stormy night. The wind whipped rain battered the windows of the old house. The couple and the dog inside were snuggled comfortable and cozy inside watching an old King Kong movie waiting for Trick or Treaters. We had two in costume last night. First there has been in some time.

Being a good prepper, the wood furnace gave off a comforting glow. The flashlights were in reach in there known places. The big tea kettle was filled on the wood cook stove in the event of power out. It has been windy but surprisingly warmer than you would expect the last few days. Predicted to have some below 0 temps late next week

We have everything picked up around the yard and buildings for winter. Every nook and cranny is stuffed with livestock feed. The chickens we have been baby sitting all summer go home today. About time to turn on the "chicken light" on a timer for our hens. A bit of work to do yet in the one rabbit barn remodel. All inside work. Other pens to clean as we harvested, cooked, and canned rabbits the last few days.

We have been laying out and staking locations in the big pasture for a berry orchard of sorts. We have a gully and hillside that is a good location for that, but quite poor in the graze grass it will grow. Critter protection cages to make for the new berry bushes when they come as the moose will browse off anything they can get a bit of. Plan to plant domestic Saskatoon berry, Honey berry, and a row of Choke Cherry for wind break as much as the berries. Will be three rows, over a bit more than 200 meters. All spaced so I can do 98% of the mowing with the brush hog. Seedlings will be available to order about the first of the year.

Mother-in-law called yesterday morning to say they had there first "black ice" on the roads of the season. Piled up a dozen or so vehicles in a very short time in there area.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:54 PM

Gee, it sounded like you were starting an old movie script there with "It was a dark and stormy night..." Time to enjoy the slow-down winter provides. Freezing fog here the last couple days, but it isn't cold enough for ice fog yet. Roads icy and a few accidents around, due as much to the low visibility as to the black ice.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 AM

A Snoopy novel
Old 11-02-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
..... lazy cat not catching them himself, just taking them when their dead in the traps
Must be one of those millennials who have that entitlement mentality. Does he take a knee too when he hears the National Anthem?

Starting to feel like late fall here too after a couple weeks of warmer weather. Saw the first juncos yesterday. They winter here.

Waiting for the HVAC guys to finish installing the furnace. We're doing the final dry walling & installing plumbing & elect fixtures next week. Hope to move into the house in next two weeks-- got to soon-- trailer's getting pretty tight with hundred lb sacks of potatoes and I don't know how many pumpkins & squash stored inside...only place warm enough without rodents at present.

Had a nice surprise last week. We moved up here 14 months ago...brought our four barn cats with. One of the males went MIA after only a week or so....no sign of him since then-- until the neighbor about a mile down the road called to ask if we were missing a cat. It seems a skinny, beat up guy showed up in her barn two days before. Sure enough, it was Dinky. We brought him home, having lost about half his body weight, but otherwise ok. He hasn't left our barn for more than a few steps for two weeks now. Living in the jungle must've been pretty traumatizing.

Last edited by doc; 11-02-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:02 AM

A couple of inches of snow on the ground, 24F, and expected to get another 1-3" tomorrow.

Rifle deer season opens in the morning, sipping some beer and bourbon, about ready to recheck my pack that I take in the field.

Hope to have some fresh meat tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:40 AM

Another week to wait here for opening day of rifle deer season. But I'm glad about that because I came down with a cold and I don't think it would work very good if I had to blow my nose every 5 minutes in the deer stand.

Tomorrow it looks like low 50s with light wind, so I'm thinking about putting the boat in one more time for the year.

And that one time may be the last time period. I bought a new boat this week. Well not new, but new to me. It's a 1998 Bass Tracker 165 Pro Team. It only has a 9.9 horse gas motor, but for the smaller lakes I fish with a 5 mph speed limit, I figure it would work fine for me, and I could get it cheaper since most people want a bigger motor.

Nice part was the trolling motor is a new 2017 70# Minn Kota 24 volt system with a built in sonar. I checked the Minn Kota site and the trolling motor lists for $979. It's going to be a long time waiting for spring so I can put the boat in the water.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post

Nice part was the trolling motor is a new 2017 70# Minn Kota 24 volt system with a built in sonar. I checked the Minn Kota site and the trolling motor lists for $979. It's going to be a long time waiting for spring so I can put the boat in the water.
For a few years, I supplied coatings to Minn Kota. Not a bad organization, decent specifications for their coatings.

Not a bad company.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:30 PM

Default That TIME of the year again....

To switch the clocks back an hour to real time.

I remember as a kid on the southern Illinois farm Dad drove an hour each way to his job as a carpenter and needed the extra hour of daylight to do the farm work. I on the other hand got to watch a couple of tv show Because Missouri was different than Illinois.

Nowadays I would just as soon leave everything on standard time.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:43 PM

I think I'm also to the point where I'd just as soon they leave the clocks alone. But then being older with no real obligation where I need to set an alarm clock, or no set time to get off work may have something to do with that.

When I was working full time, it sure was nice having that extra hour of sunlight in the evening to get stuff done around the place.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Master Pontificator

cloudy, around 38 degrees

sent both my chainsaws and generator to the repair shop and borrowed the shop owners truck to run to town for some supplies. he fixed one saw, but needs to order parts for the other and the generator. without the generator I will be relying on solar for the next week and a half, and I can only charge 1 battery a day (I use 2 on average). if the weather were not so bad I would be out setting up my new solar array (had the panels for nearly 2 years but have yet to take out of the box).
Old 11-06-2017, 08:32 PM
Master Pontificator

cloudy and rainy

both tractors and the atv need work, have not sold any firewood, and been waiting for 3 months for a well driller who just gives bullshit excuses for not showing up. would have gone to a friends place today but had to wait for the well driller who stood me up again. generator is in the repair shop as well so I have to carefully ration the power I use because I only have the solar array and the weathers been cloudy.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Master Pontificator

Today started out in the upper 30's and warmed to about 50. When I went to run errands, by the time I got home it was blustery. cold and raining! I think fall has finally arrived.

I picked what is probably the last of the peppers this morning. I have never in 52 years had a pepper harvest like this one! Beautiful, big, tasty peppers that I've shared with family and friends since I had so many. Even though I only planted 8 pepper plants. There are still a few onions growing that I'll leave until the weekend when we are expecting our first hard frost with lows in the 20's. But that's okay as I'm ready to be done with the garden.

Spent Sunday moving 3 cords of firewood that we bought from a friend whose husband died and she's changed over to a pellet stove. It wasn't too bad a day but we only got half the pile moved so we'll have to finish up this weekend before we lose the decent weather although the high on Saturday is only supposed to be in the lower 30's with wind chills in the 20's. Don't think we'll have as much fun this weekend! But it has to get done.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:33 PM

It was +3 F. this morning when I got up. (Countrymom, I figured your gubernatorial campaign there would have generated enough hot air to stave off any frost!) Snow on the ground helps with the dark nights if the moon is out.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
It was +3 F. this morning when I got up. (Countrymom, I figured your gubernatorial campaign there would have generated enough hot air to stave off any frost!) Snow on the ground helps with the dark nights if the moon is out.
4f here. Tough siting in a stand, warmed to 25f though, toasty!
Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 AM

We had pretty neat aurora tonight, too. Early it was of the "shooting" variety--one of my favorites, but it devolved into a bright curtain later.
I don't envy you sitting in a stand for long periods. Do you have a heated seat? Crawling/climbing into one in the early hours in the cold and dark is no fun either. Good luck with the hunt!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
4f here. Tough siting in a stand, warmed to 25f though, toasty!
It's that kind of weather that has you wanting to shoot something quick so you can go home.

I still do the tree stand for archery, but for rifle I've gotten to the point I want my enclosed stand. A propane heater, a thermos of coffee, and enough donuts to get you through the day.

Our rifle season starts Sat, and I'm all set except for the donuts that I'll pick up Friday. I'm hoping to find a nice one opening weekend. Not so much because of the cold. In fact by Mon and Tue it's suppose to be close to 60, so I'm thinking I'd like to get the boat out and fish. Picking up my new boat tomorrow, and with luck I may not have to wait till spring to put it in the water.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Hunted this evening. Saw a few deer, but sometimes it's not the shooting or even seeing deer that make the hunt successful. Today was one of those days.

This bobcat went by me at about 15 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLy2xZ9GLD0
Old 11-09-2017, 12:27 AM

Great! I guess you could sit in your stand and watch any time of the year, but huntin' is a great excuse to do it!!!