BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 11-09-2017, 01:44 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

no heated seats, but I have a heat reflecting cushion, affectionately called the hot seat.

nothing shootable, but had two does walk from behind me, under me, and feeding while walking away. didn't get busted. that made the day worth it.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
no heated seats, but I have a heat reflecting cushion, affectionately called the hot seat.

nothing shootable, but had two does walk from behind me, under me, and feeding while walking away. didn't get busted. that made the day worth it.
A buddy from long ago showed me how to make a heated seat for a tree stand about 20 years ago. He made a small charcoal brazier out of a small coffee can that fit into one of those buckets with the seat on top. Into the brazier, he placed a small firestarter and 3 charcoal briquettes. It seemed to keep the seat warm for about 30-45 minutes, and when it started to cool, he would place another briquette or two into the brazier and stayed warmer on those long, cold days of hunting.

It is zero F. here and still dropping. I am glad we don't hunt this late here.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Master Pontificator

sunny, about 28 degrees, have ice on top of the rain barrels.

burned branch piles all day yesterday, got rid of 6 large ranch piles. the day before that I made gravel for the driveway.

Monday I was stood up by the well driller again, but he sent someone out Tuesday, who didn't do any work just said they I was moved from next on the list to 3r and they won't be doing the well till december or next spring. i called 3 other well drillers to offer them the job if they can do it sooner, then i called several excavation companies with the alternative idea to dredge out the pond to make a reservoir. while i was pissed off with the lazy slackers around here (I hate to hire anyone since the area is nothing but do nothing slackers who never show up or do half assed work that makes things worse), i made gravel for my driveway by smashing rocks with a sledge hammer. i got the low wet spot filled in with crushed stone now, and my throat is sore from yelling "Setanta smash!" while smashing rocks into gravel.

today i am going to try to fix the tractor, then build a ladder to get some stuff done on the roof, then i will start digging a shallow well by hand near the pond.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:22 PM

Boy, making gravel with a sledge hammer --that is desperate!! Can you rent an augur for your tractor that might drill a temporary shallow well, or are you digging within a casing? You could try "kicking down" a well or making your own rig for drilling similar to this:

http://www.freemaninstitute.com/water.htm

Somewhere I have a book of plans for drilling homestead wells using human power or an old truck, but I can't seem to find them at the moment.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Master Pontificator

oddly self reliance magazine has an article I wrote (don't remember which issue) about digging a swamp well on my previous lot. they are not that great but are improvments when nothing better is available. unfortunately I have whats called hogansburg stony loam on my current lot, which is a fancy name for huge rocks sticking out of the ground everywhere. I made the gravel by leveling rocks that were sticking out into the yard, getting them out of the way (obsticles to drive tractor around, smashing till they were below ground then filling dirt and compost over them). a few are about 6 inches deep, 3 feet wide and up to 10 feet long, I thought about moving some with the tractor to make a mini stone henge in my field. makes it very hard to dig anything without powerful equipment, my old lot was rubble on one half then deep clay swamp soil on the other. the only place to reliably try to put a sand point is the far side of the property where I have not fenced for pasture yet. I have a hand powered fence auger with 12 feet of extentions I could try to dig with but I tried it before and I only ever got 3 feet before finding a rock and having to start over. my lot does have a low spot that is a bit of a spring where the water table is so high its wet most of the year. at one time 150 years ago someone did put some kind of swamp well on the bank of the wet spot. there is a 6 foot wide depression that goes in about 3 feet and is lined with stones to keep it from caving in. if I clean it out from 150 years of muck and put a deck over it with a hole to drop a bucket in it should provide water 9 to 10 months out of the year. there is other signs of improvments on that wet spot including ditches to drain it, there is a 70 year old fence that runs along the shore (the pit is on one side and the pond is on the other, leading me to think it was made as a watering source for a pasture). I can borrow a friends post hole digger for a 3 point hitch but both my tractors are out of service needing repairs that I don't have the tools for. I carried a couple cords of wood up to the roadside by hand (2 or 3 pieces at a time, estimated 20 miles of walking per cord), but the firewood market has been non existant this year. I am conserving all the money I have towards a well but I only have maybe a month until the cold weather freezes the ground and i won't be able to dig anything myself, so i am a bit pressed for time. one of my other ideas is to dig down next to the cabin, smash any rocks in the way, and bury a 500 gallon septic type tank and use as a cistern, maybe building a cabin addition over it to help keep it from freezing (i dug out a basement pit under my old cabin to store water jugs in). if i didn't have so much livestock to worry about i would probably just keep melting snow on the stove all winter and collecting rain the rest of the year.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:28 PM

Wow. My thoughts are with you. As Annie always said,"Trouble rides a fast horse...."
Old 11-10-2017, 12:29 PM
Master Pontificator

I say something similar. if you got time to complain then you got time to do something about it, while I been stressing over the water source concerns I DO have solutions available (and I approached the problem from every angle I could assessing what I have available), if I can't outsource the work with money to hire someone with better tools then I can always rely on the things that tend to carry the day when things go horribly south on my farm: hand tools, long hours, and hard manual labor
Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Master Pontificator

deep cold around 5 degrees, not a cloud in the sky at first light

lost 2 chickens to the unseasonable cold, they were runts that never got more than 1/4 the size of their siblings (and they were bantams so that means they were barely bigger than a chickadee at 6 months age). rain barrels froze over and had to chop them out to find water.

if I don't get the well in before the pond freezes over the cattle will have no water, I may have to butcher them early at a significant financial loss to avoid a total loss on that project. been waiting on those lazy slacker well drillers since first Monday of august.

on the bright side the demand for firewood went up and my biggest customer (who didn't buy anything yet this year) called me last night wanting ALL the dry split hardwood I had, though he won't be paying till the first of December (he is one of only 4 people who I trust not to screw me over).
Old 11-11-2017, 04:26 PM

Remembrance Day here in Canada, or Veterans day US the calendar says. Seems most everyone is wearing a red poppy from the Canadian Royal Legion. The only thing I remember ever being said of my Grandfather and his best friend were they guarded prisoners before coming home in 1918.

On our road there are 2 log cabins going to ruin that are documented as belonging to men who left in 1914 or so and just never came back. There are many other places like that known in this district.

Last week or so has been unseasonably mild. High temps around 0 C, clear nights, only part overcast days, and quite calm winds. Has been nice for getting things done.

We do have a skiff of snow on the ground. Since the bare ground was well frozen it has blown off roads so they are dry and safe. Late this week and the next weekend are predicted to be cold with highs and lows hovering -10 to -17 C..

We will make a "chicken run" today. People have a bunch, 6 to 8 birds I think, of barn yard mix to get rid of. Good thing seems to be they is bantam and silkies in the mix somehow. Good chick raisers I'm told. We only have one laying hen left, two juveniles, and a free rooster. Quite a mottle looking bunch. Will let KarenBC report details on all this.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:13 PM

Happy Vets' Day to all who served. -12 F. his morning with 6-8" of snow on the ground. I finally broke down and plowed the driveway yesterday. Setanta, glad you are sold out of wood--too bad you have to wait for your money. Tim, brace for the cold--it is headed your way, I'm sure. Fish and Game here is out looking for a family of grizzlies (sow and 3 cubs) lurking around an elementary school in suburban Anchorage. They are smashing the bear-resistant trash cans for food. I figure they aren't asleep yet because they are hungry; it is pretty tough on a mom to provide enough food for 3 young ones born earlier this year. We had a warm spell caused by an errant typhoon in October, too. That might have made things worse. I have heard of no other bear problems since it got cold.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM

Well unlike Kachad I got by lucky and didn't see the temp drop below freezing for my deer season opener. Sat and watched deer on Saturday with nothing to shoot at. But this morning a mid sized 4x4 stepped in front of me and I decided I liked the idea of sleeping in tomorrow.

Called my youngest daughter and told her I had her hamburger in the back of the pickup, so she better head out today and buy some quart size ziplock freezer baggies.I'll let it hang overnight in my barn, should get down to 30 tonight, then quarter and bone it out tomorrow. I'll also pick up a whole brisket from Wal Mart. I save no fat from the deer, and when I mix it with a whole brisket you end up with around 90% lean hamburger that most people can't tell from regular hamburger.

Bonus was since I was having a hard time trying to decide if I really wanted to shoot or wait for something bigger, it gave me plenty of time to get the cameras ready and I got the whole thing on video.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Congrats on your kill. Enjoy the meat as the weather cools.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:51 PM
Master Pontificator

Finally got our first hard freeze, so today we pulled all the dead plants in the garden, spread some compost, cleaned the chicken coop and spread that on the garden too. Put the winter divider in the coop to confine the birds a little more so they stay warmer. Picked up layer pellets and cracked corn at TSC.

Doing lots of laundry as today was a good day to hang it out. Moved about 6 cords of firewood to heat hubby's shop. He'll be all set for this winter and probably half of next depending on our winter weather.

The temps are supposed to be back into the low 50's this week, so I'll try to clean up the flowers beds and planters for the year sometime this week. I'll enjoy Thanksgiving more if I'm not thinking about all the outside stuff that I still need to do. Especially since I'm cooking for 20 people this year.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Well unlike Kachad I got by lucky and didn't see the temp drop below freezing for my deer season opener. Sat and watched deer on Saturday with nothing to shoot at. But this morning a mid sized 4x4 stepped in front of me and I decided I liked the idea of sleeping in tomorrow.

Called my youngest daughter and told her I had her hamburger in the back of the pickup, so she better head out today and buy some quart size ziplock freezer baggies.I'll let it hang overnight in my barn, should get down to 30 tonight, then quarter and bone it out tomorrow. I'll also pick up a whole brisket from Wal Mart. I save no fat from the deer, and when I mix it with a whole brisket you end up with around 90% lean hamburger that most people can't tell from regular hamburger.

Bonus was since I was having a hard time trying to decide if I really wanted to shoot or wait for something bigger, it gave me plenty of time to get the cameras ready and I got the whole thing on video.
Congrats!

I pulled a muscle in my lower back, hoping it will get better in the next couple of days, otherwise final week of rifle season may look bleak.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:08 PM

A pulled back muscle makes it hard to get anything done, let alone sit out in the cold and then try to get a deer home if successful.

It's 33 and foggy here this morning. Boy am I glad I didn't have to go sit in the woods this morning. It's one of those days where the cold damp air seems to seep right through anything you're wearing to stay warm.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Master Pontificator

cloudy and in the 30s

was out splitting wood all day, and was splitting and reorganizing racks of firewood all day yesterday, and loading firewood into trucks the day before that on a sale to a friend (though he isn't paying till the first of next month), since I had some room in the yard with the 9 cords my friend bought I was able to rearrange some racks and stacks to make more effective use of the storage space in the yard. other than that its very boring out here, completely dark by 5pm and sun only comes up around 7am, so a lot of hours to sit around, and the last good tv channel on the antenna was retired (they decommissioned the antenna, so the only stuff coming in from other antennas is not worth keeping the antenna up for), finding myself drawn to online forums trying to alleviate boredom but disheartened by either lack of activity on some or horedes of trolls on others. seriously some of the web forums I looked at had more trolls than world of Warcrafts troll faction.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Master Pontificator

Was 26 when I woke up. Raining and spitting sleet. Of course I had errands to run and a dentist appointment, so staying home with an extra cup of coffee wasn't an option. Went to the Laundromat, chiropractor, dentist, store, post office and library. Then came home and made beef stew out of yesterday's leftovers. Smells good in here right now.

Kachad, I hope your back is feeling better soon. It stinks when there is so much to do and not a hope of getting it done.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Master Pontificator

partly cloudy, windy, around 35 degrees

finally got a well driller to show up, after I gave up on the one that's been screwing around procrastinating since august I called everyone else in the phone book (and excavator services for an alternative reservoir idea). one of the well drillers is doing the well today. so that's the good news

the bad news is my generator died, I burned out the inverter and voltage regulator so its cheaper to replace than repair (was a $500 generac 1600x that I bought less than 2 years ago). so after the well is done I need to build a ladder to get up to the roof and stop procrastinating myself and install the new solar array that I bought 2 years ago as well but never put up (was relying on the generator).

i hope i have money left over from the well, since i have 2 chainsaws, an atv, and 2 tractors needing work, and need to buy a new generator, and boots, and so many other things i put off raising money for the well.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:12 PM
Master Pontificator

heavy rain, high wind, about 35 degrees

took less than 3 hours to have the well drilled, they put in a 140 foot well that turned out to be artesian. so my biggest concern has been taken care of, though I am again penniless.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:00 PM

Had a rough nite-- reminded me of being on-call as an intern--> The HVAC guy finally got my boiler system installed and we fired it up. It has to heat up 150 gal reservoir + 2800 feet of water filled pex tubing embedded in concrete starting @ 42degF. The computer will control airflow/burn rate once it's up to temp so that the 2.5 cu ft fire box will only need filling twice a day.

But now, in order to get it up to temp, it was consuming the wood every 1.5- 2 hrs. I got 4 hrs of sleep, 1 hr at a time. Room temp up to 50deg at 7AM.

It's progress.