BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Master Pontificator

Default December 2017

cloudy, around 34 degrees

rode my bike out yesterday to deal with that idiot tractor mechanic, hiring a better mechanic to come get my tractor with a tow rig and fix it since first guy was indescribable. today I rode my bike out to pick up money from a couple people who owe it from firewood and stuff they bought earlier in the month. bike had a flat less than 1/3 of the way out (road salt and sand mess up bikes badly, salts ruined the valve, not to mention incrasing difficulty to peddle with gummed up gears). carried it 1 mile then let at a friends house, walked the rest of the way (barefoot since my last pair of boots wore out long ago, wore out those thick socks quickly walking, were ok on bike). got to the guy who owed money and he paid up and since I had to walk barefoot he gave me a ride home, picking up the bike on the way. now just waiting for 2 other people to drop off money they agreed to pay on the first, then I got to pay off the well driller, pay off the generator, and hopefully have enough left for a pair of good boots.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:11 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
cloudy, around 34 degrees

rode my bike out yesterday to deal with that idiot tractor mechanic, hiring a better mechanic to come get my tractor with a tow rig and fix it since first guy was indescribable. today I rode my bike out to pick up money from a couple people who owe it from firewood and stuff they bought earlier in the month. bike had a flat less than 1/3 of the way out (road salt and sand mess up bikes badly, salts ruined the valve, not to mention incrasing difficulty to peddle with gummed up gears). carried it 1 mile then let at a friends house, walked the rest of the way (barefoot since my last pair of boots wore out long ago, wore out those thick socks quickly walking, were ok on bike). got to the guy who owed money and he paid up and since I had to walk barefoot he gave me a ride home, picking up the bike on the way. now just waiting for 2 other people to drop off money they agreed to pay on the first, then I got to pay off the well driller, pay off the generator, and hopefully have enough left for a pair of good boots.

Sounds like this is what you need, Setanta:
https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mens.../dp/B00TYB8Q7A

They have fancier ones up here that they use to ride through the snow, on the dogsled trails, etc., but they are 4 times this price. I don't know if they would deal with salt any better then your bike, but you could just "go off-road" and avoid the salt altogether. Hopefully, your debtors will pay up and your tractor will get fixed and all will be well. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Master Pontificator

partly sunny and around 40 degrees

spent all day moving 4 cords of firewood to the roadside carried by hand, 400 foot round trip with 2 pieces at a time.

the people who owed money paid up, however I was in debt having to buy a new generator (old one died, I fried the inverter, cheaper to replace than fix) and having to pay for the well, after getting the money from people who owed it to me I immediately handed it off to pay off my current debts and don't have much left. I looked into those bikes before, seen them used in Vermont. the bike I have is an old mongoose paver mens bike, they no longer make it had 1 that lasted for 15000 miles (3 years, averaging 40 miles a day between april and November), when it finally became too worn out to repair I got 2 of the newer versions called the 700c, pieces of poorly made junk that cost me $200 each, they didn't last more than 3 months together. this past summer I lucked out an found another mongoose paver in brand new condition in some fat guys yardsale for $50. i'm hesitant to buy another new bike after what happened with the 700c bikes, also had a "riverside cruiser" bike I got at Kmart for $250, wide tires, supposedly made for long rides, lasted less than 30 miles before the welds of the frame gave out (weak welds came apart) and the other parts became warped out of shape, was very poorly made as well, 3 brand new bikes that were poor made junk, it seems they don't make good bikes anymore unless paying a fortune.

at the very least if the tractors are not fixed by spring I will be able to have my out of the area neighbor fix them, he is a tractor mechanic and is moving up in the spring.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:45 AM

Default BINGO ! ! ! !

Colder, clear nights, overcast and -5C for highs the last week or so. Slick packed snow in driveway and yard is crunchy covered and not slick. I got the yard and driveway cleared.

We went to the Nukko community hall Holiday bingo this afternoon. Didn't win any of the games, but KarenBC won a nice holiday table center piece door prize. I won a door prize of 4 tickets to the Holiday breakfast that will be at the hall in 2 weeks. Score......

This coming Friday is the Holiday dinner at the city senior center in town. Always a good feed.

Doing "rainy day", "inside" jobs the last few days. Rolling newspaper into toilet paper tubes for cook stove fire starters. Making up fire starters in paper coffee cups for the basement furnace. Split short wood rounds for the kitchen wood stove. And other small things in the house.

Replaced an end on an old extension cord to use for the tractor block heater.

Took all the recycling in the house and garage on our last town trip. Stop at the grocery store, went through the books for sale at both libraries.

KarenBC is making sour dough biscuits for dinner. Life is great here in the bush.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM

zero deg 40mph & snow here this morning. up early watched news. heat here dosnt work. we been using space heaters. last summer two tenents broke the air system . one would turn it way up . the other fella would turn it way down. after two months it quit.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 AM

Well, looks like the party's over and winter is finally coming. A long stretch of 50s, 60s, and even 70s, but today the wind turns out of the NW and the cold sets in. 30s for highs and teens and 20s for lows.

Plenty of wood split in the shed by my house, and plenty of wood that still needs splitting in the tractor barn. Also some big logs, about 18" in diameter with the bark off, that are laying on top of some old railroad ties to keep them off the ground. Probably won't be cutting them up until next summer.

Now one of those logs is about 12' long and a couple more about 6' long. While most of the wood I burn is old dead cottonwood, these logs come from a big maple tree that blew over. My neighbor has a sawmill, so I'm wondering if that maple would be any good for some wood projects rather then firewood.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, around 40 degrees

still no progress on tractor repairs, but I did get a ride to town on Monday and was able to buy new boots (had to walk barefoot on Friday after bike tube went flat, put off buying boots way too long). last couple days whenever it wasn't raining I was hauling wood to the roadside by hand. not much else to do, and going crazy from the monotony
Old 12-07-2017, 01:07 AM

It is freakin' COLD out there!

It isn't, not really, but 2 days ago it was 70 and sunny and we did yard work and now I just cannot get warm. I think I will read while I soak in a nice, hot bath
Old 12-07-2017, 10:45 AM

Got cold here last coupla days (15--31*F) and really windy (30-50mph).. a dusting of snow on the ground.

Trying to figure out this new gassification wood boiler system... it seems @61* it hardly needs to work at all, but set @64* it's going constantly. I'll concede to it: a constant,even 61* without drafts is quite comfortable and it's only consuming ~8 cu ft of wood per day.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:26 AM

10 degrees this morning, so I guess winter must really be here. It was the first time this season to run the wood stove all night. Well I had to encourage it a little this morning, but there were enough coals I did't have to start from scratch.

30s the rest of the week, but they say maybe low 50s on Sunday. Might have to go out and see if I can catch a few trout if it's that nice.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Master Pontificator

cloudy, 28 degrees

my drivers license expired today, could have renewed it but saw no reason to pay for something I can't use without a vehicle and can't forsee having enough money in the next 5 years to pay for a vehicle. spent most of the day fixing a screen door and framing after cat damage, then gathering rotten and punky wood to put along under fence lines (to compost for grape vines or pumpkins later). tried to get rides to town by calling all my friends, just wanted to go out for lunch with any of my friends, or even just get a ride up to the gas station 8 miles away for a sub and BS with a friend who is driving, but everyone was busy, or never replied, and one said he had 4 flat tires. so gave up hoping to hang out with one of my friends, didn't eat yet since I was hoping to go any where and now weak from working 7and a half hours so making a pot of plain oatmeal. happy birthday to me
Old 12-08-2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
happy birthday to me
Happy Birthday Dude!!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Master Pontificator

Thanks, I was a bit depressed yesterday, didn't matter to me if I was paying to take one or more of my friends out to lunch, just wanted to hang out with any of my friends but ended up spending the day hauling firewood, repairing stuff, and working on compost piles alone, basically like any other day
Old 12-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Master Pontificator

25 degrees, cloudy, some snow this morning

was hauling wood to the roadside by hand yesterday, then ran the saw cutting some scrub, then started hauling more wood, today I was hauling even more wood, after 3 days at it I managed to fill a stack of 2 face cords (trail from where I got it to where I stacked it was 430 feet, so 860 feet of walking for each trip, and took 100 arm loads for each face cord.

really wish the tractor was fixed, I could have done that hauling in about 45 minutes
Old 12-11-2017, 07:55 PM
Master Pontificator

19 degrees and sunny today, heavy snow expected to start tonight and end Wednesday morning, 12 to 18 inches expected.

went out all day sawing, cut maybe 10 cords of firewood, 30 cedar posts, and a dozen logs to mill. genera cleanup and thinning in the sugarbush. I also found a 3rd tractor for sale and with the cold snap the seller is willing to take firewood as trade, so hopefully that works out.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:14 PM

It's been in the 40s and 50s for the past week or so, and looks like it may stay that way another week. No snow on the ground sure helps keep the temps above normal.

If this weather lasts till the first of the year I may have enough wood split for the winter, and all the wood stacked in my tractor barn that needs to be split can hold till next winter.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Default Georgia in a pannic

Yepper it snowed in some places 6" or more. We had a dusting here mostly wet slush. Temps dropped into the mid 20's then up to 50. I fired up the wood stove in the basement to keep the chill out. Wind is blowing today, clear but cool now at 51'.
We never lost power as other areas did.

Broke down a 1975 Pinto carb for a local old timer. He's building some sort of coup. When I first looked at it I said, hum this looks like a Holley 2bbl. It has a Motor-craft tag on it. Low and behold inside the bowl cast in raised letters. HOLLEY Licensed by Weber Italy.

So as I wait for the rebuild kit to arrive I've been messing with leather goodies. Belt Bags,medicine pouches for flint & steel then a few neck knife sheaths.
One friend asked if I'd try to make a holster slab for his Mares Leg 357 lever pistol. Today's project, making a pattern and cut one slab of leather . Now I have to find a hook and piece of spring steel. It will lay on the bench for a few days so I can study on it a little longer.

That's bout it...
Old 12-12-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
Yepper it snowed in some places 6" or more. We had a dusting here mostly wet slush. Temps dropped into the mid 20's then up to 50. I fired up the wood stove in the basement to keep the chill out. Wind is blowing today, clear but cool now at 51'.
We never lost power as other areas did.

Broke down a 1975 Pinto carb for a local old timer. He's building some sort of coup. When I first looked at it I said, hum this looks like a Holley 2bbl. It has a Motor-craft tag on it. Low and behold inside the bowl cast in raised letters. HOLLEY Licensed by Weber Italy.

So as I wait for the rebuild kit to arrive I've been messing with leather goodies. Belt Bags,medicine pouches for flint & steel then a few neck knife sheaths.
One friend asked if I'd try to make a holster slab for his Mares Leg 357 lever pistol. Today's project, making a pattern and cut one slab of leather . Now I have to find a hook and piece of spring steel. It will lay on the bench for a few days so I can study on it a little longer.

That's bout it...
He's lucky he found you. If you have ever taken a carbed truck or auto into a standard garage, they just look at you funny. Most of the young mechanics here haven't seen an auto engine with a carburetor.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Master Pontificator

-5 last night, only around 8 degrees today but sunny

the forcast for the next week shows deep cold, and whenever it warms a little (20 or better) it will be snowing. still no calls for firewood though, but that's ok, I got 100+ cords to heat my cabin with.

my dog is freaking out and is the jelous type, I let the cats in today, normally I have 3 full time cats on the porch and never going far from it (I have 2 part time cats as well, the mother and aunt of these 3, but the mother rarely comes by more than once every 3 months, she defected to the neighbors farm, and the aunt shows up once every 2 weeks, otherwise she is a defector to the neighbors farm too). with it so cold out I let the 3 regulars inside and decided to let them winter inside, not much mouse catching goes on in the winter anyway, and I need the extra foot warmers. the dog is not happy about it since he is afraid of them and they take over all the best spots on the couch.

chickens are ok in the cold, just got to change their water twice a day to keep from freezing, and have to bring a bucket out to the cattle every 3 hours (just enough so they drink it before it freezes). not much of anything going on right now, just bored, hope I don't turn into one of those crazy cat people
Old 12-16-2017, 03:38 PM

Well it appears for us winter is finally going to arrive. Still 4 more days in the 40s and 50s, which is 15 to 20 degrees above normal. But starting Thursday we're moving to the 20s and 30s for highs, and that should last through the holidays. Haven't used much wood, so still plenty of split wood in the shed behind by house. Attached the blade to my truck the other day, and took it back off inside my garage. Hate having to put the blade on once there's snow on the ground, so I keep it inside over the winter. In fact this winter I may just leave it on the truck. In the past I usually had to drive the truck into town a couple times a week, so I hated driving it around so much if I didn't need it. But this winter I don't have to make those trips to town, so the blade may stay on the truck.

Heading out in an hour or so to meet my fishing buddy to see if we can catch a few crappie. I picked up a bunch of minnows while in town yesterday, thinking we had 4 more days to take advantage of open water. No boat this time, it's put up for the winter, but we have a few fishing docks where we can sit and hopefully find a few fish.