BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:41 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Well, The Wife interviewed for a County VSO job Up Nord there in Mn. Position is located about 40 miles from my property, and her soon to be 82 YO parents (my property is about 5 miles up river from Her Parents).

If she gets it, will be a big change, but we will be in a position (me) to work on my property very easily, to build it to what we want.

Could be a big change.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Well, The Wife interviewed for a County VSO job Up Nord there in Mn. Position is located about 40 miles from my property, and her soon to be 82 YO parents (my property is about 5 miles up river from Her Parents).

If she gets it, will be a big change, but we will be in a position (me) to work on my property very easily, to build it to what we want.

Could be a big change.
Good luck with that. I hope it works out for you both.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:03 PM

The GWN just got whiter... About 10cm new fluffy snow last night. Makes a total of about 35 - 40cm total so far. Temps running 0c to -8c days and nights. About normal.

Local community holiday breakfast this morning. I think I ate enough bacon for a years quota. Good event. Got tractor out this morning and moved snow after the district plow went through.

Mouse trapping in outbuildings has been steady to frantic lately. There must be a new weasel in the wood shed / rabbit barn as traps moved around and only a tuft of fur left in trap. I have teeth in traps, so once caught it takes two hands to extract a caught mouse. As long as we have no small rabbits in barn I'm not too worried about weasel.. However I have had to "intervene" when there were 2 weasels wanting to live in the chicken house. Not acceptable.

Old red hen and the two she hatched last spring are all laying eggs now. The banty silkie combo chickens KarenBc has are not quite old enough to produce yet. She pampers them all terribly with treats like a cabbage, and warm cooked hen scratch grain. They love all that. I also keep a light on a timer in the building to maintain about 12 hours of daylight for them.

Community hall is about 10km from us near lake. Two neighbors there reporting a cougar around the lake and hall area. No tracks around our area, but will have to stay alert.

Like the old cowboys and pioneers said. The farther north you go, the more things that want to eat your horse or you.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:11 PM

Well it appears it's finally here. Drizzle outside now, changing to freezing drizzle, which should change to snow. Won't amount to very much, but looks like it's here to stay. Time to bring in plenty of firewood and stay close to the wood stove.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:10 AM
Master Pontificator

10 degrees out today, expected -3 tonight, but no clouds at all

despite the cold the clear sky and lack of wind made it tolerable to work outside, was sawing all yesterday and today. been sawing every chance I could since the snow fell 2 weeks ago (I thin it was 2 weeks ago), cut enough logs to mill 15,000 board feet of lumber, got 50 more cedar fence posts, and 60 cords worth of firewood (rounds, bolts, and poles, cut to manageable sizes that I can lift by hand based on weight). just sawing and have lots more sawing to do to get done what I planned this winter. in march i will pile what i cut into piles and stacks that i can easily find after leaf out, and burn the slash, preferably to be done piling just in time to plow the garden and drive fence posts to expand the pasture. then got to gather and finish all of it (cut bolts and poles to firewood lenths, split rounds, stack and cover). same basic plan every winter, got close to 100 cords of unsold wood i cut last winter and if its still in the yard next fall i may end up with well over 200 cords. going to have to mill lumber to make pallet like forms to stack it all, since i can't seem to find pallets fast enough. not much else to do and still no word on the tractor repairs.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:38 AM

days are short. cold & dark a lot now. i layed out the old sheets of chipboard, after it snowed i took them up to have bare ground around my camp. the animals get fed and watered there so they dont havto be in snow. and i like having bare ground away from snow to lay on to watch stars , even when it is zero out.
got 30 backwoods home magazines in mail i ordered on ebay. tonight the wind and snow blows while i read by the fire.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:17 AM

We just finished out Solstice dinner. Every solstice (Summer and Winter) we cool our dinner outside. We didn't EAT outside, however, since it is below zero F., but I did cook steaks on the grill. It used to be quite a production when we had 6 children at home, but now with just 2 of us, we have a quiet dinner...at least at Winter Solstice.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:37 AM

Well itss brrrrr cold here. Icey.
Only had one good snow----but this wind hurts my face lol.
Drove my first snow-----staying out and off the icey roads.
Its 10' --- minus 8 right now.
I enjoyed my first ever snow----
I am getting the hang of a Texan being in the far north---I havent sweated since I got here July the 7th.

Getting use to getting it while I am town----If you dont the weather may catch you.
Its 22 miles to just the Post Office----
I love going to Aberdeen---beautiful place--So clean. And every thing you need on one main road.

Everyone have a Great Christmas.
Stay safe--hugs and prayers.
Txanne
Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post

Could be a big change.
Thats great----Good luck with that new change.

Txanne
Old 12-23-2017, 03:42 PM

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE.
BE SAFE--TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES.

Annie
Old 12-23-2017, 09:06 PM
Master Pontificator

sleet, then freezing rain, then snow, between 15 degrees and 30 at different times through the day.

walked 7 miles in the sleet and freezing rain to go to the closest place to get a phone card, tried for days to find a ride but all my friends were busy, or never answered, and one said he had 4 flat tires. gave up looking for an alternative and when the phone ran out of service I walked out to get a card. bah humbug to all of them this year. had ice caked on my beard, coat and hat by the time I got to the store and blisters by the time I got home. sat inside the rest of the day.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:11 PM
Master Pontificator

around 20 degrees, heavy overcast, lots of snow on the ground and lots of drunk yahoos racing sleds down the middle of the road.

just checked the forcast, winter storm tonight through tomorrow with 30 mph winds and up to another foot of snow, then Tuesday through Friday it won't go above 2 degrees, and will be as cold as -20. getting my party stuff ready, with cold like that I should finally start selling all that wood I cut, and since people waited so long its now gouging season and the price will go up as the thermometer goes down.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Well Christmas morning starts out at 10 degrees, with around 4 inches of snow on the ground that came from night before last. Looks like a long cold spell with well below normal temps. Guess this is to make up for that long spell with above normal temps we'd been having. I liked the above normal better.

Will be heading to my niece's house later today for Christmas. When my sister decided it was too much for her, her youngest daughter took over, so a 25 minute drive is all it takes. A lunch around 1pm, then presents followed by pie or what other treat someone has brought. Then back home to fill the wood stove, and sit back to wait for winter to end. Well it seems that way anyway once the Christmas season is over.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:24 AM

We celebrated Christmas 2 days ago, as that was when my DD and her husband could come.

So today we just saw star wars in the theater, and we ate an easy dinner with cake for dessert.

I am glad that DD is no longer here: both DS and DH are now suffering from a bad cold, and I do not feel perfect myself. I had best go to bed, I think. Good night!
Old 12-26-2017, 02:49 AM

Merry Christmas, Everyone.

-21F here. brrr...
Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Master Pontificator

20 degrees, that forcasted cold hasn't hit yet

got some good news sort of, my new neighbor (the one who bought that old farm north of me back in 2015) sold his old place and will be moving up this spring. and he is a skilled tractor mechanic.

also I started a new youtube channel called "bogtrotter homestead" it includes homestead videos and Insane Irish videos (riding my bike to town in a kilt while singing weird Al songs).
Old 12-26-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
also I started a new youtube channel called "bogtrotter homestead" it includes homestead videos and Insane Irish videos (riding my bike to town in a kilt while singing weird Al songs).
That makes the fishing videos I post on my channel sound tame, I'll have to check this out.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Master Pontificator

I'm an outspoken nutcase by any standard
Old 12-26-2017, 03:10 PM

I watched them all. You've come far pilgrim .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bLbLsjRVm9Y
Old 12-26-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I'm an outspoken nutcase by any standard
Well I'm guessing more then one person not seeing the Go Pro camera thinks I'm that weird guy that sits in the boat and talks to himself.

Though our videos must be getting around, twice this summer while fishing my buddy and I had people recognize us from watching our stuff.

I like your videos, and your lucky you have someone that will let you use their music for background. When I do something with music I usually just end up using stock you tube free stuff.