BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

9 degrees this morning, which is warmer then our high for yesterday afternoon. They say it will make 20 today, but after that I see nothing but single digit highs for the rest of the year, and just teens to start the new year. Sure got cold in a hurry.

By Jan 1st I'll have gone through about 1/3 of the wood I had split so far for this winter. Of course the stove has gone non stop since the cold hit, and I haven't gone anywhere so I'm tossing something in during the day too. Wood consumption should go down once we get back to normal temps. But it does look like once we get a day in the 30s I should probably go out and split another load of wood from the tractor barn to replenish what I've used from the shed behind my house.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 AM
Master Pontificator

-20 every night last 3 nights, and -5 in the day with wind chill factor making it equivelant to -30 at night and -15 in the day. clear and sunny otherwise except at night when its just clear with lots of moon light.

have to go out 3 or 4 times a day to change out the chicken and cattle water when it freezes. I put a big pot of water to boil on the stove and pour that onto the thin ice on the cattle tank, melts the ice each time and warms the water. cattle come running when they see the steam for a warm drink.

buff orpington chickens started laying, but the eggs freeze and split within 10 minutes so unless I stand in the coop waiting I just got to toss them.

the runt out of the 4 steers (same age but only 1/4 the size of the other 3), died the first night of the -20 cold. found it dead in front of the hay rack that morning. dragged it to the roadside and hired someone to come get it to tan the hide (barely any meat on it, was maybe total 200 LB for that year old steer, and not taking the risk that it might have been sick since it was not walking around with the others the day before it was found dead, sick might have been a contributing factor, and not just hypothermia), it had plenty of access to food and water but just didn't grow, like all the chickens that were runts (much smaller than the others of the same age) it didn't make it when the weather turned cold.

had a few calls for firewood, 1 minor sale of a single cord, then I have a friend who plans to buy ALL the remaining hardwood on the first of January. other calls were from idiots asking for 50% discounts, I told them to go to a local pizza shop called "the brass horse" and kiss the ass on the brass horse statue out front (given how cold it is outside their lips would probably freeze onto that statues ass)
Old 12-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Setanta, many years ago we had a cast iron heater that we put in our big metal water tanks for the cattle. It was a wood burner and had no problem keeping an 8' diameter tank open. Of course that was a long time ago and something like that might be hard to find today.

I wonder if there are any military surplus stores around any more. Back in the 60s we had a water heater used by the cooks to heat water for washing pots and pans. It went in a metal garbage can and gas dripped down to a splash plate which kept a fire going and heated the water.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Master Pontificator

I need to get a water traugh first before I can heat one. I was using a plastic bushel basket till it froze overnight and split. they are currently using a smaller 40 gallon rubber tank (which bums me out since I was using it as a bathtub). I only put about 8 gallons out at a time (2 five gallon buckets to carry out), hand pump froze on the well so using a smaller 1 gallon container to collect whats dripping off the well (artesian) and pouring to fill the buckets, takes about 15 minutes to fill 2 buckets, then I go out and fill the water for the cattle. I saw something in a magazine a while ago about a wood heated water traugh (I want to say it was in bwh, but I don't recall for sure). next year I plan to move the pasture fence closer to the well and set it up so the artesian well will constantly fill a smaller traugh (moving water doesn't freeze). I have 2 old metal bathtubs I thought about modifying one to have a wood fire under it (sheet metal, not cast iron, I think they came from old HUD trailers, found them at the transfer station), but they are slightly rusted around the drain and I have not figured out a good way to seal them.

I been asking for a ride to town for a month now to get another tank (at the very least a second 40 gallon tank since its too cold to shower outside), but haven't been able to get a ride yet.

same kind of rubber is what chickens drink from, just a plain 1 gallon bowl. I can set it upside down and hit the bottom with my boot to knock the ice out, then refill with water. been doing the same with the rubber 40 gallon tank when it freezes. I did the boiling water thing more as a treat for the cattle than anything else. nothing is very efficient out here so I am constantly working. still better than using an old tea cup to scoop up water from a puddle to fill a bucket, or walking half a mile to a bridge to lower a bucket down on a rope and carrying buckets back.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:00 PM

I no longer have large livestock, but when I did, I had a old cast bathtub that I "insulated" with chunks of Styrofoam that I filled in around with the canned foam stuff. I insulated the bottom and covered it with plywood. I put a plywood cover over the top to keep in the heat and only left 1/3 of the tub open. I heated mine with an electric stock tank heater, but I got the idea from a friend who had horses, and added warm water to his and had no heater. Electricity makes life in the cold so much easier, especially with animals. A small drip heater might work, or even a candle under the tank might help some.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:21 AM

Don I did about the same thing, but I did it to cut down the power bill.

I used the 2' x 4' metal tanks for the horses. I built a wood box to go around them and insulated it, then put a wood top on with a hole for them to drink through. Then instead of using one of those 1000 watt or 1500 watt tank heaters, I used a 250 watt bucket heater. When it got real cold, for us below zero, I kept the tank about half full so there was less water to heat. On the coldest mornings I might have a 1/2" of ice to break by the hole.

I ran five heaters at the time. By my figures going from 1500 watts down to 250 watts in each heater would save just over $30 a month, if that heater ran for 12 hours out of every 24. I'm not sure just how many hours one of those heaters ran each day when the temp was below freezing the whole time, but when running 5 heaters I knew I needed to do something to cut the cost.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:40 PM

New Year's Eve and I am sick. And, it is cold-cold-cold and it will be -10 tonight.

Bleah.

Well, Happy New Year to us all anyways. May our gardens be bountiful, may our loved ones stay healthy, and may our nest boxes always be full of eggs.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:20 PM
Master Pontificator

sounds like a sauna, its going to be -22 out here!

-5 was the hottest part of the day, -15 to -23 at night for a while now. I sold some wood but mostly get calls from people wanting free delivery or a 50% discount. one person claimed they had no money and their pipes were freezing and their kids were crying and wanted me to let them have a cord of seasoned hardwood that they would "pay for later" I told them I could offer them a cord of poplar but not the hardwood like that. they declined to take that offer, I guess they would either prefer to freeze or were just trying to con me.

barely seen another person in weeks, 2 months now that I think of it. just very rare 20 minute times when someone stops in for wood and those are about a week apart. nowhere to go locally and no way to get there. I find myself checking into forums 5 times a day desperate for any kind of interaction (other than the people trying to get firewood at discounted prices).
Old 12-31-2017, 09:09 PM

Setanta, that sounds too quiet even for me! I try to go to town once a week for shopping or whatever.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Master Pontificator

yeah, its horrible, i like solitude but not this much! last year i would have driven out to the local general store to use my laptop at the table they had for customers (free wifi, and could talk to all the other locals who came in for morning coffee and egg sandwiches), but some menonites bought the place and did away with the table and wifi and they are not very friendly unless your amish or menonite. next closest place is 11 miles away and i think they stopped with the free wifi after the tribe (its a truckstop on the rez) gave high speed internet to everyone on the rez. after that theres a little internet café about 14 miles away (also on the rez), but my truck died in march and i haven't had money for another and my license expired a month ago (why pay to renew when i can't afford a vehicle and probably won't be able to for a few years). before i got that truck i would hop a ride with a friend that worked on the rez and rode past my old place (still close to the route he used at the new place), but he retired earlier this year. so the only way i can get anywhere now is to walk )or bike but the wind chill is bad in winter and the snow and salt gum up the gears).

so no where to go, and no way to get there, about the only things within 10 miles are gas stations to buy chips and candy at, or a lumber yard and an auto parts store.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 AM

Well on the GOOD side you are exposed to few illnesses: I have been sick as a dog for a week.

Fortunately I celebrated Christmas early: my SIL had to work Christmas day so we had Christmas the Friday before. THEN I got sick
Old 01-01-2018, 10:07 AM
Master Pontificator

that is true, there is a county bus that I could theoretically take into town, but they won't go down my road and I have to walk about a mile to an intersection and have to be there waiting exposed to the wind (open field in all directions) for whenever they come through for the brief 5 minute window to get a ride). used to be ok to take the bus a few years ago, not many people used it so I could haul groceries back on it, but now its so cramped that after I get on I often have to stand in the back since their give preference for elderly on the seats. and then there is the court hotel where the bus picks up a half dozen or more pedofiles, junkies, and other lowlifes to take them to court, and lots of welfare rats whos higene is digusting (this coming from someone who goes into the chicken coop to collect eggs while barefoot), all they talk about is how to game the system and where to get free stuff (sharing tips with each other). half will caugh and sneeze without covering their face in the tiny bus spreading around cold and flu. and because its so packed they don't let people carry bag anymore. really its better to walk the 18 miles into the biggest town in the county (a whole 4000 people in it) and walk home afterwards than to take that bus now.

so disgusting last time I was on that bus I had used a bandana to cover my face to try avoiding getting sick from all the people coughing, and they all treated me like some kind of freak for trying not to get sick