BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:13 AM
Master Pontificator

Default January 2018

-25 outside, clear skies

bitter cold out, had the cabin at 85 degrees when I went to bed at 10pm, and when I got up at 6am it was only 45. surprised that I have not got more firewood calls in the last few days, had a lot last week (though few actual sales, just people searching for wood, then either not showing up, or complaining that they can't afford it and wanting discounts or free wood to pay later).

experimented with making a batch of cookies last night, I have yet to figure out a good way to make any on my wood stove, they never cook evenly, or they stay as mush. this time I had better results but still not perfect.

got a few articles planned in the works, so I may do some writing today given that it will be -10 all day with wind chill danger, so won't go outside much.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

-16 here this morning. They called for -20, but I think that was just the local weathermen hoping to break the record of -19 for this date. Yesterday didn't make it above 0 and today should be the same. Windchills have been bad here too, but the wind finally shifted to the NW instead of the NE. My house gets more protection from the wind when it's out of the NW.

Normal highs for us this time of year is 32, but I don't think we'll be seeing that for a few days.

Setanta my place didn't cool down quite as bad as yours. It was 73 when I went to bed about 10 pm. I put some wood in when I got up around 3 am, and when I got up at 6:30 it was 66 in the house. I think it would do better if I had some hardwood to burn instead of all the cottonwood. I've got a little bit of oak so I try to save that and just put a couple pieces in when I go to bed hoping it will burn slower and last longer.

I don't have any hardwood around here I can cut myself, so next winter I may bite the bullet and buy a load so I'll have more on hand.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Master Pontificator

I sell the hardwood I cut and I just burn pine and poplar myself, also doesn't help that the cabin is barely insulated. I sank $2500 in spay foam insulation and that stuff isn't good for anything. that R11 fiberglass I had in my old place was a lot better and could have been put in my current place for less that $300. I suppose the one benefit of the spray foam was that it filled all the gaps in the walls (tar paper shack construction) so bugs and mice don't get in. was hoping to add R11 fibergrass in the gaps between paneling and spray foam but didn't have the money to buy any and had no way to go get it either (though this summer if I have the money I will get it 1 or 2 rolls at a time with my bike trailer)
Old 01-01-2018, 10:55 AM

sub zero & plenty snow. got a warm room with a view, a hot pot of stew and enjoying old issues of backwoods home magazine.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:03 PM

About 15 below last night. We'd have moved into the new house this week, but the instant-on water heater gave out a warning siren about two days after I plugged it in for the first time last Wednesday. The plumber that installed it is off for the holiday and won't come out until tomorrow to check it out.

I'm still trying to figure out this furnace. It works on gassification but doesn't want to get the water temp above 145 unless I close the re-circulation valve- which doesn't make any sense at all-- re-circulation should make the water hotter.

Between the earth-berm on two walls and the 10 inches of sprayed-in insulation in the attic (R40), house temp only falls from 64 to 61 after about 6 hours without a fire.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:08 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR all from the far west GWN.....
Hope everyone had a good, safe holiday season.

Starting the middle of the week before Christmas until this morning temps have hovered -25 to -30C day and night. Up to -10C this morning and predicted close to 0C by mid, late this week.

Only the occasional day, night with some wind so have rarely had to fire the big furnace more than twice a day. Our old Ontario kitchen wood stove has perked along nicely and provided many meals and pots of strong tea while we have hunkered in for this blast. At that we have still used more wood than last year at this time. However this batch of wood is extremely poor wood, but it was free, cut to length, and delivered. All I had to do was split and stack.

The local region rural fire departments are having a "Polar Plunge" today for different local charities and to do practical use of there cold and wet gear. We plan to make a town trip tomorrow for necessities, senior discount day, and to use some coupons we have collected.

MIL lives lower in the Province than us across one mountain pass between us and reports about 50cm snow in the last two weeks or so. Bad roads and avalanche warning every day in the mountain passes there. The good and bad of that is they are glad for the moisture, but after the fires local flooding and erosion will be issues in some places.

We have only had a couple skiffs of snow during this time. Just enough to cover tracks. Watching the hill and paddocks around the house and yard I see tracks. I suspect I have a coyote coming through occasionally. Not coming close to buildings or livestock, but passing through. Will see how or if things change as season progresses. Seems moose have pretty much finished shedding antlers. Haven't seen ruff grouse around in a while. A bit worried about that, but suspect they are over near a cattle ranch where pickings in hay are better than the bird seed and hen scratch I put out for them.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:27 PM

It has been below zero F. since we got back from Thanksgiving out of state, but it is warming now and supposed to snow today--we'll see. January thaw with a possibility of rain on Wednesday. Daughter and grandchildren were here for Christmas, but the kids got sick and didn't want to be out in the cold anyway. We'll be starting early planting soon, so that will make the winter go more quickly. One of our other grandchildren was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on Thanksgiving, so that made things kinda tough on everybody here, since Christmas is usually a time for baked goods and sweets and rich foods. Grandma didn't bake all the cookies and pies she usually does as she didn't want to make the new diabetic's life any more miserable than it already was. but the other grandchildren couldn't figure out why Grandma didn't have all the cookies she usually has.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:46 PM

Certainly not cold by you guys stands but here in middle souther Missouri ozarks. -6f guess that is around -20 c) is cold . Been below freezing here for last 10 days. Forecast is we get to 35 Saturday. Going thru a lot of wood.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:28 PM

According to local weathermen, it takes roughly 45 days for a major storm to circle the globe and return. That means we will see this weather again mid-February. Oh, joy.

My chickens have not been allowed out in a week. By keeping the little door closed the space heater has mostly kept the water inside liquid, which means I do not have to bring them water a few times a day, and it means the eggs do not freeze. This weekend when it warms up and they can go outside they will think they have died and gone to heaven.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:08 AM

Happy New Year to everyone.

Our lowest temp so far this week was minus 6. Our lowest high temp was 13, so far. It got up to 22 yesterday and felt so nice! It's supposed to be up to 29 today.

I'm spending most of my time indoors other than getting firewood in, feeding the birds and taking the food scraps to the compost pile. DH and DS have been out and about some with work and helping neighbors with things.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Master Pontificator

had a heat wave today, was a whole 21 degrees at the high point

walked out this morning and went up to the store in town, got a couple bags of gum drop candy and a couple boxes of free crackers (expired), then walked further to get money from a friend who has ben making monthly payments to buy my old lot. went home afterward and in the afternoon I had a small firewood sale.

warm weather expected to continue tomorrow, then it will drop down to -25 again
Old 01-04-2018, 12:43 AM

Like wise here up to 23 today. Suppose to be 4 tonight but on Sunday maybe all the way to 40. But with mix sleet snow rain in that order during the day.

Walking out to feed the OWB. It was a clear night and with moon so big ( full last night) I could see a real pretty starry night. But I grew up on a southern Illinois hill farm in the early 50's. The nearest town was about 12 miles and it only had a couple thousand ( maybe). No walmart or shopping center parking lots. Beyond that we were 70 miles form any towns of size. The thing is I remember being able to see the Milky Way back then.

Was wondering if anyone out there can see it today. Our town is about 10 miles away and has 19,000 and while it sure is dark here and pretty out we can't see the Milky Way. What a shame.

What about you all .
Old 01-04-2018, 10:37 AM

Warming up here a little too, and like MOF a chance of freezing drizzle or something this weekend.

Just the other night I was thinking about the affects of city lights. We're far enough away from city lights we usually have a good view of the stars at night. At one time my son worked for Hayneedle, an online collection of stores, and from them bought a big telescope. He would come out with some of his friends and they'd camp out here so they could set up the telescope for night time viewing.

But the other night I thought about the city lights for a different reason. I'm probably about 35 miles from Omaha, which is about 1 million people counting the whole metro area. I looked out the window late one cloudy night and noticed how the light from the high pressure sodium lights in the city bounced off the clouds and made the snow around my house look orange.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 AM

I'm 60 miles from Madison, the only "city" around here. Closest collections of population are 6 & 10 miles away, pop's ~9000 ea.

I was thrilled to see the MIlky Way for the first time in 60 yrs when I moved here last year. Back in IL, only the brightest stars making up the well known constellations are visible. Here, there's so many lesser stars to be seen that the it can be difficult to pick out the constellations.

I think light and noise pollution are bigger problems affecting our lives than air pollution.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:18 AM

My property Up Nord, the sky and Milky Way are amazing. I've had the pleasure of seeing some fantastic Northern Lights as well.

On a frigid below zero night, it's a very spiritual experience.

A positive thing about getting old, is having to get up in the middle of the night to urinate. Well, most of the time it isn't positive, but when the Northern Lights are going at 3-4 in the morning, the same time that you have to go .. well, that's the positive thing.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Another positive is, while you're up you can throw a couple more logs in the stove so it's nice and warm when you get up in the morning.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:02 PM
Master Pontificator

heat wave is over, back to -8 today and -20 at night, 30 mph wind gusts too

had to bring the generator into the living room area to warm it up (doesn't like to start in sub zero), once it warmed up I took it out and started it, charging batteries since we had overcast a few days.

and all I hear all morning is meowing because one of my cats just had some kittens today. she was kept inside so the kittens would be born inside so I can turn them into furry liberals (socialize them), that way they will be friendly towards people and I can give them away, last group she had were born in the barn feral and all died of acute lead poisoning.

not much else going on till Monday when the weather expected to warm up again.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 PM
Master Pontificator

Happy New Year to all!

We are on day 12 of our below freezing stretch and this is getting old! Temp was 2 when I fed this morning and -15 with the wind chill. Had 4" of snow yesterday. My chickens refuse to come out, can't say I blame them, so I moved the feed and water inside. I bedded the coop really deep with straw the day before the cold snap started and it seems to be keeping everyone cozy. The old dog is having trouble walking between the 30-40 mph wind gusts and his poor cold paws. He keeps trying to lift his legs to relieve his paws and falling down. I took pity on him and carried his 70 pound behind back to the house this morning. Two more days and we should hit 32 on Monday, I hope. I would be happy with 20's and no wind!

So all we've been doing is feeding the animals, feeding ourselves and feeding the wood stove.

I can't wait for spring! Stay warm everyone!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:32 AM

6 degrees this morning, and hopefully the last real cold morning for a while, that is as long as the local weatherman is right. Only suppose to make it to 20 today with a strong wind, but starting tomorrow we should have a string of 4 or 5 days with the highs in the upper 30s or low 40s, and lows in the teens and 20s.

Went out this morning and plugged in the diesel tractor so it will start this afternoon. My daughter needs a round bale of alfalfa moved inside for her goats. She tries to keep two bales inside under cover, so whenever the one closest to the door is done we try to put another one in quick rather then start on the second one. We figure this bale should last her till about mid Feb, and at that point she will be bringing the nannies inside for kidding, which means she'll then use the small square bales of alfalfa she has since it's easier to use that when they are in kidding pens. So come mid Feb she can start on the second bale, which means after today I won't need to move a round bale again until mid March.

One of those days when it gets close to 40 I'm going to have to crank up the log splitter and split another load of wood. Cold weather sure eats up the wood.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:17 PM

Just heard on the news that the average temps for the past two weeks here (ave. 1*F) are the coldest 2 week period for the area since 1896, although no daily extreme records were set. I've had to stoke the furnace 4x a day, struggling to keep the house at 63*. Today the outside temp got up to 28* and a single load of the furnace kept the place at 65*....maybe 4 cords will get us thru the winter after all-- I was beginning to worry.