BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser


Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,126
Default

It rained yesterday. I generally prefer snow to rain but I was pathetically glad to see rain because it meant it was above freezing!

We should sea seasonable weather for a few days, which for this area means alternating freezing and thawing.

I see the dentist this morning: I broke a tooth a few days ago but I had a bad cold and it did not hurt so I just lived with it.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-08-2018, 01:37 PM
MissouriFree's Avatar
MissouriFree MissouriFree is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central missouri woods
Posts: 18,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Just heard on the news that the average temps for the past two weeks here (ave. 1*F) are the coldest 2 week period for the area since 1896, although no daily extreme records were set. I've had to stoke the furnace 4x a day, struggling to keep the house at 63*. Today the outside temp got up to 28* and a single load of the furnace kept the place at 65*....maybe 4 cords will get us thru the winter after all-- I was beginning to worry.
Just fun
You can calculate btu's needed to raise temp in a house.

http://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html

And here is the BTUs/ cord ratings green or dry per wood variety/species.


http://worldforestindustries.com/for...d-btu-ratings/

I used these for sizing a wood stove in my unseated woodworking shop ( actually a 16x14 corner of my uninsulatec metal pole barn.

Of course it doesn't count " maintains" temp but logic would say it less than raising the temp x degrees.
__________________
I find out of long experience that I admire all nations and hate all governments- Steinbeck
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,126
Default

According to the local weathermen, global warming can affect the cold air over the ice caps, making it shirt position and making cold snaps like the one we just have.

On the flip side, ALL of the very elderly people I have known have said that Kansas used to have worse weather than we have now, and they have pictures of deep snow, which they said was a normal winter back then. So perhaps the "global warming" was a problem back then as well.



So the question becomes: true global warming or just a warm spell?

At any rate, today it is starting to warm up here in Kansas!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-08-2018, 07:34 PM
MissouriFree's Avatar
MissouriFree MissouriFree is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central missouri woods
Posts: 18,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
According to the local weathermen, global warming can affect the cold air over the ice caps, making it shirt position and making cold snaps like the one we just have.

On the flip side, ALL of the very elderly people I have known have said that Kansas used to have worse weather than we have now, and they have pictures of deep snow, which they said was a normal winter back then. So perhaps the "global warming" was a problem back then as well.



So the question becomes: true global warming or just a warm spell?

At any rate, today it is starting to warm up here in Kansas!
I got out of army on 1975 and after a time went back to school in 1978. We had 33 straight days below freezing and lots of snow. I graduated in 1980. Dad pass that fall and mom spent holidays with us. I remember taking everyone to mall and it was 15 below. I agree the winters even this one is a lot warmer than they once were. Virtually no snow anymore
__________________
I find out of long experience that I admire all nations and hate all governments- Steinbeck

Last edited by MissouriFree; 01-08-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-08-2018, 10:48 PM
hunter88 hunter88 is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,155
Default

Weather patterns do change over time. I once saw in a magazine concerning Nebraska the snow totals each year at various parts of the state. It was interesting to see over 40 years the average snow totals from the west end of the state had moved to the east end of the state, and the east snow totals had moved west. The difference was considerable.

So while we don't get as much snow as we had in the 60s and 70s, the western end of the state now gets all that snow, and we stay warmer. Global warming, or just the fact no snow cover means average temps will be 5 to 10 degrees warmer.

On a shorter basis, in the mid 80s my ex wife's family would come up from Arkansas for Thanksgiving, and almost every year they had to leave early for home because a blizzard was forecast. We haven't seen that since then, though in the late 90s we cancelled Halloween because of a blizzard.

So if you can avoid that late November snow you will be warmer because there is no snow to reflect the sun's warmth back up.
__________________
Gun control: It's like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-09-2018, 01:15 PM
doc doc is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Didn't you ever wonder why the argument over "Global Warming" clearly takes sides according to political perspective?...How can that be if the facts are there and one analyzes them scientifically?....There's the rub: one side (Liberals) ignores the science to use the concept for political gain.

Weather and climate depends on several different recurring cycles (solar activity, ocean over-turn, orbital variations of the planet, etc etc) There's an average and variations from that average always return to the average....it's like poking a marble in a mixing bowl-- the marble circles around but always wants to return to rest at the bottom.

There's a major cycle in our weather that runs roughly 60 yrs-- 30 of warming, then 30 of cooling, then repeat. Most of us remember the 60s (cold) and the 90s (hot). We're cooling off again-- look for the 20s to be cold again.

BTW- the 1930s were very hot-- the hottest decade of the last 120 yrs...at least that was true until NOAA decided to "adjust" the records, making the 30s look cooler than the original reports and the 20-teens look warmer than originally reported...Big Brother & The Ministry of Truth hard at work to protect us.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM
MissouriFree's Avatar
MissouriFree MissouriFree is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: central missouri woods
Posts: 18,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Didn't you ever wonder why the argument over "Global Warming" clearly takes sides according to political perspective?...How can that be if the facts are there and one analyzes them scientifically?....There's the rub: one side (Liberals) ignores the science to use the concept for political gain.

Weather and climate depends on several different recurring cycles (solar activity, ocean over-turn, orbital variations of the planet, etc etc) There's an average and variations from that average always return to the average....it's like poking a marble in a mixing bowl-- the marble circles around but always wants to return to rest at the bottom.

There's a major cycle in our weather that runs roughly 60 yrs-- 30 of warming, then 30 of cooling, then repeat. Most of us remember the 60s (cold) and the 90s (hot). We're cooling off again-- look for the 20s to be cold again.

BTW- the 1930s were very hot-- the hottest decade of the last 120 yrs...at least that was true until NOAA decided to "adjust" the records, making the 30s look cooler than the original reports and the 20-teens look warmer than originally reported...Big Brother & The Ministry of Truth hard at work to protect us.
Speaking of taking sides !! But seriously the sides of the issue have nothing to do with political,persuasion . Else why the world view and not just the americAn liberal or conservative .

But you right there was disagreement on the NOAA Data- it always pays to fact. Check rather than reading those " biased" sources you speak of.

https://www.factcheck.org/2017/02/no...ation-at-noaa/
__________________
I find out of long experience that I admire all nations and hate all governments- Steinbeck

Last edited by MissouriFree; 01-09-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Didn't you ever wonder why the argument over "Global Warming" clearly takes sides according to political perspective?...How can that be if the facts are there and one analyzes them scientifically?....There's the rub: one side (Liberals) ignores the science to use the concept for political gain.

Weather and climate depends on several different recurring cycles (solar activity, ocean over-turn, orbital variations of the planet, etc etc) There's an average and variations from that average always return to the average....it's like poking a marble in a mixing bowl-- the marble circles around but always wants to return to rest at the bottom.

There's a major cycle in our weather that runs roughly 60 yrs-- 30 of warming, then 30 of cooling, then repeat. Most of us remember the 60s (cold) and the 90s (hot). We're cooling off again-- look for the 20s to be cold again.

BTW- the 1930s were very hot-- the hottest decade of the last 120 yrs...at least that was true until NOAA decided to "adjust" the records, making the 30s look cooler than the original reports and the 20-teens look warmer than originally reported...Big Brother & The Ministry of Truth hard at work to protect us.
Very true, Doc. Global warming is being used primarily for political reasons. The meteorologists and climatologists who are dependent in some manner on grants or government funding, or are subject to pressure from political circle, support "Climate Change" but once they are retired or have moved out from under the "sphere of Influence" most of them say it is just a bunch of bunk. Climate is inherently unstable, and as you said, figures have been adjusted to support the claims. Besides, it always warms prior to the beginning of an ice age. Glaciers here are growing at an amazing rate at elevation, but melting at tidewater masks the phenomenon. If snow cover increases the albedo of the planet and the temperature at sea level decreases ....
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM
hunter88 hunter88 is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,155
Default

Quote:
BTW- the 1930s were very hot-- the hottest decade of the last 120 yrs...at least that was true until NOAA decided to "adjust" the records, making the 30s look cooler than the original reports and the 20-teens look warmer than originally reported...Big Brother & The Ministry of Truth hard at work to protect us.
The 30s were definitely hotter. For us in eastern Nebraska, during July and August, the 1930s hold 28 record highs out of those 62 days, while only 3 records in the 2000s over those two months.


As for factcheck, that's like trusting Facebook or Google for your answer.
__________________
Gun control: It's like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 PM
hunter88 hunter88 is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,155
Default

Quote:
Climate is inherently unstable, and as you said, figures have been adjusted to support the claims.
Actually I think lack of adjustment is a bigger problem. Most reporting sites are in the same location they've been for 50 or 100 years. Our local weatherman always comments on how you can't go by the recorded temp for Omaha because it's by the airport and between more concrete and planes going in and out, that temp is not the same as other parts of the city.

This is the case with the majority of reporting sites, so there is no way temps recorded here in the US can be anywhere close to accurate when compared to temps of 50 or 100 years ago.

This also holds true in other areas around the world where cities have grown so much. Also some reporting sites in more distant locations didn't exist 50 or 100 years ago, and satellite which is one of our best recorders, didn't exist 50 and 100 years ago.

Is it getting warmer, or was it getting warmer. Sure. Does that mean it was our fault, that extent is the part we're unsure of. Well except for Al Gore, he's sure.
__________________
Gun control: It's like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,977
Default

By adjustment, I mean that many of the systems of measurement were changed in the '20s as technology changed and standardization was sought. I don't know how far into the '30s this continued, but it was a process that took place over several years. It standardized the way temperatures were measured, but it also invalidated the temperatures taken prior to the changes. I know this REALLY changed the sea temperature measurement, and attempts were then made to "modify" the previous temperatures to be more like the new temps...but probably didn't do so accurately. As I have said previously, I witnessed an instrument shelter in California that had been sited properly, was deliberately changed to increase the temperature readings. There are many more instances, as your meteorologist has said, where the "concrete jungle" has encroached on the instrument sitings, thus increasing the temperatures--instrument shelter and such SHOULD have been moved to standard conditions but were not, thus a temperature instrument that was once in the middle of a grassy field is now next to an asphalt parking lot or a concrete building. I believe there were also adjustments made in the '70s and '80s that tried to correlate surface-measured temperatures with satellite readings, but since many of the surface temperatures had already been compromised, the correlation between the satellites and the temperatures taken earlier were inherently flawed.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 AM
hunter88 hunter88 is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,155
Default

Well looks like the Jan thaw may be over. We had a couple day around 40, with last night's overnight low only going down to 34. Today it should make it to 50 with some rain in the evening. The front goes through overnight with NW winds of 35 to 40 mph accompanied with 6" or 7" of snow, high tomorrow 15.

So it looks like I'll have enough time to split another load of wood today, and put the blade back on the pickup. Then it will time to hunker down by the stove for a few days again.
__________________
Gun control: It's like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Setanta Male Setanta is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 862
Default

getting a bit of a thaw out here, tomorrow supposed to be in the 50s, was above freezing last 2 days and will be again today.

had a disappointing firewood sale not happen, the guy wanted to buy the last 8 cords of hardwood I had, but came out with a pickup, with bald tires, and a plow on the front, and tried to back into my driveway, with the plow weight on the front, the usual lack of traction of a pickup, and the bald tires he had no chance of making it in and out, and he drove like he never drove on ice before, inching along then stopping a lot, took an hour to get him out and only after another truck came to help tow him. I saw right off that his truck could never handle my driveway, as did the driver, they left to get their other vehicle, and I went inside to wait, but he apparently got half a mil away then decided to try anyway, so when I looked out the window saw them horribly stuck. they didn't buy any wood (although a heavy load in the back would have helped them get unstuck). nothing happening the last few days otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Tim Horton's Avatar
Tim Horton Male Tim Horton is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Deep in the BC Bush
Posts: 6,016
Default

Back down to a balmy -30C this morning with bright sun, clear sky, and little wind. Forecast to moderate by next week or so. For a couple weeks or more town in river bottom has been a high pressure mess of fog, paper pulp mill, refinery and such that you can smell as soon as you descend into it. With poor air quality alerts to go with it all. People whine about all that, blame wood stoves, and when they feel a chill turn up the natural gas thermostat rather than put on a sweater. Don't get me started...

While it was nicer a few days ago got some things done. Moved a bit of snow, hauled wood, and feed for livestock. Bald eagle killed and ate our young goose gander. NOT pleased with that. The geese are such easy keepers and roam about oblivious to weather or much of anything else.

Unfortunately do have to go to town today for errands, but will make it short and easy on us.
__________________
Always fresh.
Keep your stick on the ice. Red Green
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 AM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,126
Default

It took us almost 15 minutes to get into the car: it was iced over because yesterday was so warm and so wet and today was so cold!

The orange cat was upset: he DANCED to the door all set to go outside and have a SECOND day playing outside, and this morning when he saw the snow and felt the cold he just sat and stared.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-12-2018, 12:14 PM
hunter88 hunter88 is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,155
Default

For me anyway, the weatherman doesn't know what he's talking about. Though to be fair I suppose he is also talking to the people that live 30 miles SE of the city as well as us that are around 30 miles NW of the city.

The predicted ice and 6" of snow turned into nothing for me, a skiff of blowing snow at the most. The city itself got some ice and a little snow, enough for slick roads, and to the SE they did get the 6" of snow.

But we did get the cold like everyone else. 48 Wed afternoon, and when I went to bed around 10 pm it was still in the upper 30s. When I got up it was in the upper teens, and by afternoon lower teens. This morning it's -2. And during most of this the wind blew at 30 to 40 mph. A chance for snow flurries tonight, and a chance for an inch or so on Sunday.

Glad we missed the bigger snow because I'm having a bit of a problem with the blade on the pickup. One of the hydraulic hose connections that swivels is leaking a bit. The leaking fluid isn't a big deal, but when using it the leak causes air to suck in, and after some use the blade won't raise properly. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and the air goes back out and the blade works fine again.

I bought a new hose, but we can't put it on. I've had the blade since the 1980s, and the hose has never been off. My son in law and I worked on it, but even heating it up a bit we can't get it loose to remove it. Since the storm was coming in I said we should stop because I didn't want to break it off and have nothing. At least now I can go up and down the drive 3 or 4 times before it acts up.

Seeing as how it's not an outward pressure problem, but a sucking in air problem. I cut a long strip from an inner tube and wrapped that around the spot where the air sucks in and tightened some wire around that. I hope this will slow down some of the air that's trying to come in to give me more time to use the blade. Fortunately we didn't get the snow to test it. An inch or snow on Sunday with a little wind might give me a few drifts to move off the drive and I can test it.
__________________
Gun control: It's like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-12-2018, 01:47 PM
Setanta Male Setanta is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 862
Default

near 60, cloudy, raining, the 2 feet of snow that was on the ground is gone, only a few patches remain after today and yesterdays heat wave. but calling for -10 tomorrow so it will all go back to ice.

had a firewood sale yesterday, the guy from the other day never came back, but another customer showed up yesterday and bought out the dry hardwood. so now I am down to 28 cords poplar, 2 cords pine, 8 cords green hardwood, and 2 misc cords. taken longer than usual but the firewood is slowly selling. and this mornings walk around the woodlot reminded me just how much i have that i cut for next fall, likely have over 80 cords on the ground and another 30 that i never hauled out for this fall, i calculate it will take at least 2 months to haul up whats out back.

other than that its another dull day sitting around waiting for dry and reasonably warm (over 25 F) weather to work in
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-12-2018, 05:40 PM
CountryMom22 Female CountryMom22 is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 598
Default

62 and raining here. Although our snow has all melted, the ground is so frozen that this rain is flooding the driveway and any low areas. All this means that when the temps drop tomorrow, my place is going to be a skating rink. Just what I don't need!

Knowing about today's forecast, I cleaned the chicken coop and bedded it deep. Picked up some feed and moved it into the shed and ran all my errands, even with a bad head cold. Figured if I couldn't sleep or rest I might as well be productive!

Unfortunately we have a funeral to attend tomorrow and we'll need to drive about 75 minutes to get there in the afternoon after the temps have dropped. So we are worried about the road conditions as this flash freeze that they are talking about is going to impact our trip. We may have to stay home, just wait and see what tomorrow brings. Then next week we are expecting temps in the 20's and lower 30's with more snow.

Man, I am so done with winter!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 PM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
For me anyway, the weatherman doesn't know what he's talking about. Though to be fair I suppose he is also talking to the people that live 30 miles SE of the city as well as us that are around 30 miles NW of the city.

The predicted ice and 6" of snow turned into nothing for me, a skiff of blowing snow at the most. The city itself got some ice and a little snow, enough for slick roads, and to the SE they did get the 6" of snow.

But we did get the cold like everyone else. 48 Wed afternoon, and when I went to bed around 10 pm it was still in the upper 30s. When I got up it was in the upper teens, and by afternoon lower teens. This morning it's -2. And during most of this the wind blew at 30 to 40 mph. A chance for snow flurries tonight, and a chance for an inch or so on Sunday.

Glad we missed the bigger snow because I'm having a bit of a problem with the blade on the pickup. One of the hydraulic hose connections that swivels is leaking a bit. The leaking fluid isn't a big deal, but when using it the leak causes air to suck in, and after some use the blade won't raise properly. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and the air goes back out and the blade works fine again.

I bought a new hose, but we can't put it on. I've had the blade since the 1980s, and the hose has never been off. My son in law and I worked on it, but even heating it up a bit we can't get it loose to remove it. Since the storm was coming in I said we should stop because I didn't want to break it off and have nothing. At least now I can go up and down the drive 3 or 4 times before it acts up.

Seeing as how it's not an outward pressure problem, but a sucking in air problem. I cut a long strip from an inner tube and wrapped that around the spot where the air sucks in and tightened some wire around that. I hope this will slow down some of the air that's trying to come in to give me more time to use the blade. Fortunately we didn't get the snow to test it. An inch or snow on Sunday with a little wind might give me a few drifts to move off the drive and I can test it.
You could try silicone tape as a temporary solution. It sticks to itself pretty well, and seals most leaks. It is usually sold as "silicone mending tape" or something like that.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-12-2018, 07:32 PM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,126
Default

It is very cold outside. So I am painting the bathroom.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.