BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Master Pontificator

depends on how small you cut up the branches, if you cut branches as small as 1 inch diameter you get more wood than just the stem sections. but I would estimate 3 of them per face cord, when cut and stacked. assuming 12 inch diameter at the bottom and 60 feet high, if they are crowded they won't have many branches to worry about. they should put out around 22mbtu per cord (higher quality firewood). if you have lacross stick makers in your area I would recommend trying to sell them the 8 foot butt of the logs first, they are fairly demanding in what they look for but pay very well for any logs that would make lacross sticks. around my area seasoned hickory would sell for $70 face cord (very high demand)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:08 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Woke up to just a skim of snow on the ground this morning, but for the last couple hours it's been snowing like crazy and piling up fast. Looks like it's going to be one of those wet heavy ones.

Unfortunately wet heavy can give us power problems and I've seen the light blink couple times earlier this morning. Made sure the laptop and I pad were fully powered last night. I usually use a tower, but when the power goes out and shut it off and move to the laptop and I pad for my internet needs. I went out this morning and brought the battery charger in to top off the 12 volt battery I keep in the house over the winter. If the power goes out I hook a small inverter to the battery to power the small fan that sits behind my wood stove, and I also use this to power up my router and modem. I also have a 7" TV I'd take to my enclosed deer stand. I plugged it in to top off it's battery, which should give me 2 or 3 hours if needed.

So now it's just sit back and see what happens. I guess I can't complain. When I went to the barn to get the charger I also brought back my scoop shovel. Up to this point I'd been able to take care of any snow we had with a big broom. I suppose if you make it till almost the end of Jan and haven't had to use the scoop shovel yet you should be happy.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:46 PM

Well power is gone, and from what I hear it covers a large area. My local town of 1300 about 6 miles away is out of power, and the bigger town of 30,000 12 miles away to the west has had power flickering. My daughter's boss told her his power is out and he's about 15 miles farther west of the bigger town.

With this many out of power it might be a while. Have the battery hooked up to the inverter for the wood stove fan and internet connection. If this lasts too long I may have to go out to the boat and bring in another trolling motor battery. I have two more in the boat, and I guess I also have four in my electric golf cart.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
depends on how small you cut up the branches, if you cut branches as small as 1 inch diameter you get more wood than just the stem sections. but I would estimate 3 of them per face cord, when cut and stacked. assuming 12 inch diameter at the bottom and 60 feet high, if they are crowded they won't have many branches to worry about. they should put out around 22mbtu per cord (higher quality firewood). if you have lacross stick makers in your area I would recommend trying to sell them the 8 foot butt of the logs first, they are fairly demanding in what they look for but pay very well for any logs that would make lacross sticks. around my area seasoned hickory would sell for $70 face cord (very high demand)
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have 50+ that are 50-60 ft tall and only 4 or 5 inches in diameter. I was thinking of getting a lathe and making baseball bats. They sell for $125 each and aren't even made of hickory- used to be the best, but not seen anymore.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have 50+ that are 50-60 ft tall and only 4 or 5 inches in diameter. I was thinking of getting a lathe and making baseball bats. They sell for $125 each and aren't even made of hickory- used to be the best, but not seen anymore.
Reason you don't see many is that hickory has fallen out of favor for bats due to weight compared to ash and now maple. Bat speed is what counts.

And you probably need at least a 10 -12 inch tree to get the straight grain heart wood ( not pith or sapwood ) need for a billet to lathe a bat. Of course you could get more tha one billet from a section.

But setanta is right it's about the best firewood you can get. And branchs ( if you have a chipper shredder) make great hardwood much.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 01-22-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 PM

Well still no power. 6:30 pm now and been out since about 9:30 am. About 30 outside so not too bad, then again add snow and wind gusts to 45 mph, and if I was a guy working for the power company I wouldn't want to be out in that stuff. Got a recorded call this afternoon saying maybe midnight.

Have a 12 volt battery running the fan behind the wood stove and router plus modem for internet. Also charged my laptop battery for a little bit this afternoon. Decided to shut off the fan behind the stove to conserve battery just in case.

My daughter also uses a battery to run the blower fan on her wood stove that is in her basement. She wasn't sure how much charge her battery had and the blower wanted to shut off every once in a while. About 5pm when she was going out to do chores I had her come down to my place and I gave her one of the trolling motor batteries out of my new boat, while there I grabbed the other in case I needed it. Also grabbed a thermometer while there because I thought it was getting cold in the house. Though I thought with wind, snow, and no power it might be my imagination. Looked a little bit ago and it said 76, in the living room, so guess it was my imagination.

Snow was reported at 4.5 inches at noon, and it's still been snowing all afternoon, so I'm guessing probably 7 or 8 when it's done. And a lot of it that came early was the wet heavy stuff, so that should be fun to clean. If I have power in the morning I'll have to plug in the tractor. Don't think the pickup can handle the wet heavy stuff.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Well still no power. 6:30 pm now and been out since about 9:30 am. About 30 outside so not too bad, then again add snow and wind gusts to 45 mph, and if I was a guy working for the power company I wouldn't want to be out in that stuff. Got a recorded call this afternoon saying maybe midnight.

Have a 12 volt battery running the fan behind the wood stove and router plus modem for internet. Also charged my laptop battery for a little bit this afternoon. Decided to shut off the fan behind the stove to conserve battery just in case.

My daughter also uses a battery to run the blower fan on her wood stove that is in her basement. She wasn't sure how much charge her battery had and the blower wanted to shut off every once in a while. About 5pm when she was going out to do chores I had her come down to my place and I gave her one of the trolling motor batteries out of my new boat, while there I grabbed the other in case I needed it. Also grabbed a thermometer while there because I thought it was getting cold in the house. Though I thought with wind, snow, and no power it might be my imagination. Looked a little bit ago and it said 76, in the living room, so guess it was my imagination.

Snow was reported at 4.5 inches at noon, and it's still been snowing all afternoon, so I'm guessing probably 7 or 8 when it's done. And a lot of it that came early was the wet heavy stuff, so that should be fun to clean. If I have power in the morning I'll have to plug in the tractor. Don't think the pickup can handle the wet heavy stuff.
We have about 6-8" now, still snowing. Heading out to snow blow the driveway and all that for the third time.

Batteries are good. I keep my batts that I use Up Nord down here at the house, along with one of my generators.

No problems with the power, and I don't have to travel anywhere this week .. so I'm just hanging out at home, working and putting together the next phase of my Dungeons and Dragons pen-paper dice Campaign. Yes, I am a Geek - and have fellow Geeks that hang out with me to do this stuff.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:26 AM

Well we got power back about an hour ago. Wasn't that bad and stayed warm. Bad part, I was planning on doing a video for my youtube channel, but with no power I had no lighting. Should be able to get that done tomorrow before or after clearing snow. A lot more inside videos when it's cold outside.

Quote:
Batteries are good. I keep my batts that I use Up Nord down here at the house, along with one of my generators.
I keep my older trolling motor battery in the house. My new boat has two trolling more batteries along with a cranking battery. The cranking battery has an on board charger hooked to it, so I bought a 2 bank charger for the other batteries. Only thing was I didn't make it a permanent on board charger. I added alligator clips instead. This way I can put it on those batteries for a couple days since it has an automatic shut off and battery tender. Then I can move the charger to my JD tractor that has two batteries. And can move it to my golf cart that has 4 batteries. I just keep moving it around all winter a couple days here, a couple days there.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
I just keep moving it around all winter a couple days here, a couple days there.
I understand that quite well.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:22 AM

In desperate situations, I have an inverter that I can hook up to the truck, the car or the tractor. It is only 800 watts, but it will charge batteries and keep radios, and small stuff running.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Reason you don't see many is that hickory has fallen out of favor for bats due to weight compared to ash and now maple. Bat speed is what counts.

Myth. Hitting a baseball is a transfer of momentum, not energy. M1v1 = m2v2, not 1/2m1v1^2 = 1/2m2v2^2 as the partially educated think.

A bat only weighs 2 lb. Bat speed is limited by speed of muscle contraction, not weight of such a light object. You can swing a plastic whiffle ball bat almost as fast as a 36oz wood bat. The Babe's bat weighed 48oz. Bat speed increases only a few tenths of a percent by going lighter, but by 16% by going up from 32 oz to 36oz.

Practical experiments with guys like Mantle & Maris proved that 50 yrs ago, although the players weren't convinced. {But then, the joke going around after Mantle's ghost written "autobiography" was published was-- He's the first guy ever to have written a book before he had read one." }

I consistently hit a ball farther with a 35 oz wood bat than with a 32 oz metal bat. (But a wood bat also has a 2x bigger sweet spot.)r

Cf: The Physics of Baseball by R. Adair PhD
Old 01-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Master Pontificator

hunter, whats your channel called?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
hunter, whats your channel called?
It's called Outdoors with Don and Bob.

It's mainly just he and I fishing or hunting. We have hunted and fished together for over 50 years, and way back when we took Super 8 movies while we were doing stuff. The last couple years when we found more time on our hands to spend outdoors I suggested YouTube. We went from not owning a GoPro, to now owning 5 of them plus a camcorder, and wireless mics.

We had about 100 subscribers after the first year. Next month will be the start of year two and we have just over 430 subscribers today. Last March I decided to start monetizing some videos, and we actually got to the point we were making about $1 a day, lol. But now YouTube changed the rules and said you need 1000 subscribers to monetize. So on Feb 20th they'll take away my ability to monetize, until we can get up to 1000 subscribers.

Good news is we picked up a sponsor the other day. I do review videos every once in a while, and a while back there was a comment on a lure review video I did from the lure maker. We exchanged e mails and he offered to send me some stuff to use. So hopefully working with them may help us get to that 1000 subscribers we need a little faster.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Myth. Hitting a baseball is a transfer of momentum, not energy. M1v1 = m2v2, not 1/2m1v1^2 = 1/2m2v2^2 as the partially educated think.

A bat only weighs 2 lb. Bat speed is limited by speed of muscle contraction, not weight of such a light object. You can swing a plastic whiffle ball bat almost as fast as a 36oz wood bat. The Babe's bat weighed 48oz. Bat speed increases only a few tenths of a percent by going lighter, but by 16% by going up from 32 oz to 36oz.

Practical experiments with guys like Mantle & Maris proved that 50 yrs ago, although the players weren't convinced. {But then, the joke going around after Mantle's ghost written "autobiography" was published was-- He's the first guy ever to have written a book before he had read one." }

I consistently hit a ball farther with a 35 oz wood bat than with a 32 oz metal bat. (But a wood bat also has a 2x bigger sweet spot.)r

Cf: The Physics of Baseball by R. Adair PhD

Doesn't matter whether it's myth or not - it's what the players believe and what they are buying. You're right but the hitter wants the ability to wait as long as he can before swinging and still generate good bat speed. Besides it's about momentum anyway.
Btw the the sweet spot is center of mass and is technically a point .the vast majority of hits are not at the "Sweet spot" .

Hickory may be best technically but it ain't what the market wants.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:02 PM

Hunter88, I am glad your power is back on!

When I checked this morning I was surprised to learn that my dentist appointment is NEXT Tuesday and not today. Huh. I guess I will just have to putter around the house today instead, earn money with surveys, and maybe cut the paper tape off of the walls.

See, they have changed the paint, so now when the tape is removed it pulls at the paint on the wall. So there is touch up work at a couple of places, and I am going to run a knife blade next to the tape to make it easier to remove without damaging he paint. Foolish me thought the bathroom was a one day paint job and here it is day 10 because I have had one problem after another, and there is other work that must be done also.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:14 PM

Default ALASKA EARTHQUAKE...

A headline saying a 7.9 (?) earthquake near Kodiak Island early this morning.

Tsumami warning for west coast of AK and BC. BC portion of warning has been canceled...

Doninalaska..... Did you get your coffee spilled this morning ??
Details
Old 01-23-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
Doesn't matter whether it's myth or not - it's what the players believe and what they are buying. You're right but the hitter wants the ability to wait as long as he can before swinging and still generate good bat speed. Besides it's about momentum anyway.
Btw the the sweet spot is center of mass and is technically a point .the vast majority of hits are not at the "Sweet spot" .

Hickory may be best technically but it ain't what the market wants.
Two sweet spots on a bat-- one at the fat end and one just above your hands on the handle. They are the vibrational nodes.(You can find them by balancing the bat on your index finger and tapping along its length until you come to the two spots that sound dull) When the ball hits there, there is a minimum of energy wasted as vibration of the bat, so more goes into projecting the ball. That's why the ball goes farther when hit on the fat part and why "choking up" helps-- hands serve as a damper on vibration near that node.

Batters who think they are "waiting" are fooling themselves. Ted Williams always said, "you gotta guess." The best hitters don't "decide to hit this" when they see it coming, they decide "not to hit this pitch" after they've seen it but already started to move into the ball. The batter steps into the pitch as the pitcher steps toward the plate and the hitter's hips start to move as the pitcher's arm comes forward. The batter's choice is not "to hit" but "to not hit." The hitter has only ~0.1 sec to make up his mind cuz a fastball gets to him in ~0.2sec.

Player do want hickory but it's hard to get. Even ash is not as dense as it used to be, being commercially grown and not "old growth." Maple is a hard, stiff wood that shatters instead of breaking like old bats. You're lucky to get 4 ABs out of one stick, whereas I used the same bat for three seasons back in the 60s.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:46 PM

Nope--I didn't feel a thing, but the wife has friends on Kodiak who got shaken then awakened by the Troopers with a loudspeaker telling everyone to move to higher ground. School was cancelled for the day there because most of the folks were running around in the dark in their jammies or underwear. The lower Kenai got shaken, too, as did some of Southeast (Yakutat). A earthquake has to be near and big for it to be felt in our house, as we live in an over-built house on a sand and gravel bed. A lot of energy is absorbed by the soil, but I suppose in a real big one nearby that same soil could liquefy. Oh well, I've already lived longer than I expected.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Two sweet spots on a bat-- one at the fat end and one just above your hands on the handle. They are the vibrational nodes.(You can find them by balancing the bat on your index finger and tapping along its length until you come to the two spots that sound dull) When the ball hits there, there is a minimum of energy wasted as vibration of the bat, so more goes into projecting the ball. That's why the ball goes farther when hit on the fat part and why "choking up" helps-- hands serve as a damper on vibration near that node.

Batters who think they are "waiting" are fooling themselves. Ted Williams always said, "you gotta guess." The best hitters don't "decide to hit this" when they see it coming, they decide "not to hit this pitch" after they've seen it but already started to move into the ball. The batter steps into the pitch as the pitcher steps toward the plate and the hitter's hips start to move as the pitcher's arm comes forward. The batter's choice is not "to hit" but "to not hit." The hitter has only ~0.1 sec to make up his mind cuz a fastball gets to him in ~0.2sec.

Player do want hickory but it's hard to get. Even ash is not as dense as it used to be, being commercially grown and not "old growth." Maple is a hard, stiff wood that shatters instead of breaking like old bats. You're lucky to get 4 ABs out of one stick, whereas I used the same bat for three seasons back in the 60s.
Good luck with you hickory bats from 5/6 inch trees .
Old 01-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
...Foolish me thought the bathroom was a one day paint job and here it is day 10......
Your post reminds me of a patient I once had. She was manic-depressive but was doing well and off meds for a while. She came into the office having another manic attack. "We can get you back on your pills," I assured her. "OK," she answered, "but I won't start them until I'm finished painting the family room."