BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:38 AM
Master Pontificator

Default February 2018

Happy imbolc everyone (Imbolc is an ancient celtic agrarian holiday)

35 degrees, cloudy

had chicken feed delivered last night, I asked them to do it today but they did it last night as the last delivery yesterday, so I had to work by flashlight carrying it all to the barn. probably a good thing since its supposed to rain today and it was dry last night.

got a firewood sale expected this morning too, one of my repeat customers called last night to see if I had any left and plans to stop in around 10 to buy a cord. since I don't have to wait for the feed truck I will ask to bum a quick ride to the store 5 miles away to indulge my sweet tooth.

should be set for feed for at least 6 months, ran out of chicken feed and had been hoping the tractor would be fixed in time to pick it up myself but had to order delivery when I ran out of time. got 500 LB of cracked corn, 1000 LB of lay pellets, 150 LB of cat food (ordered more but they only had 3 bags in stock), and 100 LB of dog food (cats eat a lot more than the dog does). would have asked them to deliver some candy from the feed store too but I forgot to ask when I placed the order.

despite some aggrivations in January I am going to start the month trying to have a more positive outlook.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:39 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I have been overdoing it a bit lately so today I have decided to kick back and do the little things that keep the house organized. I am having trouble getting up any enthusiasm for it, though.

Oh heck, I just remembered I have not paid the mortgage, yet. And it is due today. Well, THAT got me motivated! I think I will call that one in........

Bye!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
Happy imbolc everyone (Imbolc is an ancient celtic agrarian holiday)

35 degrees, cloudy

had chicken feed delivered last night, I asked them to do it today but they did it last night as the last delivery yesterday, so I had to work by flashlight carrying it all to the barn. probably a good thing since its supposed to rain today and it was dry last night.

got a firewood sale expected this morning too, one of my repeat customers called last night to see if I had any left and plans to stop in around 10 to buy a cord. since I don't have to wait for the feed truck I will ask to bum a quick ride to the store 5 miles away to indulge my sweet tooth.

should be set for feed for at least 6 months, ran out of chicken feed and had been hoping the tractor would be fixed in time to pick it up myself but had to order delivery when I ran out of time. got 500 LB of cracked corn, 1000 LB of lay pellets, 150 LB of cat food (ordered more but they only had 3 bags in stock), and 100 LB of dog food (cats eat a lot more than the dog does). would have asked them to deliver some candy from the feed store too but I forgot to ask when I placed the order.

despite some aggrivations in January I am going to start the month trying to have a more positive outlook.
Boy, I thought you were nearly broke. A feed order like that here would cost hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars. I know you have to feed your critters--unless you EAT them--but you have to feed yourself as well.

The temps are staying up in the teens F. because the wind is picking up at night. The wind chill plummets, but the actual temperature is staying above zero F. Wind gusts up to 60 mph have been reported. Daytime temps are getting in the 20s F. because the sun is shining and is getting well above the horizon. I am beginning my seed-starting process with onions and celery.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:13 PM
Master Pontificator

$350 for all that delivered (was in 50 LB bags). I had $500 held in reserve to cover such things, i was holding off hoping to get more money in but ran out of time to wait. but since its a new month i get money in again because of the land contract deal i made selling my old place ($200 on the 2nd of each month). additionally i have some regular firewood customers who are receiving social security, they get their money and then come buy wood (just this morning i had one of them pick up 3 cords of wood since he wanted to pick it up in warm weather and was getting money tomorrow, he bought $180 worth of wood, and plans to buy another $120 worth tomorrow). might have another sale or 2 as well.

when i say i am broke that rarely means i am pennyless, i don't have much coming in and don't have many bills. i try to keep at least $1000 held in reserve in case of emergencies or opportunities. but it might take a long time to replace if i spend it. i won't usually spend it on mundane stuff like groceries unless i am completely out of food (as in not so much as a single bean left in the pantry) i try to never touch the reserve money (just like i never touch the cashe barrel of food buried in the woods, just in case i every do get down to just 1 bean in the pantry) if i was in the habit of dipping into the reserve on a regular basis i wouldn't have it for long. i was more relaxed about spending it since i knew i was going to have it replaced in a few days anyway. still its a far cry from the amount of money i usually have this time of year, this close after firewood season i normally would have had $5000 or more available, not a mere $500.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:17 PM

As you may remember, one of our caches was discovered and raided 2 years ago. I wrote about it on this forum. Fortunately, we have several others since we live in earthquake country and can never count on things staying where they are. We had some neighbors move in nearby and we thought they owned the property they were on since it had been held in a trust for some time. It turns out that they were homeless folks who just moved onto the property without the owner's knowledge. We think they were responsible for the raid, but there was no proof. My point is to have multiple places where things are hidden in case one is found. Thanks for clearing things up. I am glad you have some reserves.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:36 PM

Well traded in my Jeep today for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. Didn't get along real well with the service department about the loose oil filter causing the engine problem. Finally went up front today and did some trading. Started about 9:30 this morning and didn't get the deal done until after 3, with a lot of back and forth. In the end I wasn't happy, and the dealer wasn't happy either. So I figure if we were both unhappy, then it was probably fair to both. He had me in a tough spot but he didn't know it.

I probably gave up a couple thousand dollars on the deal. But they've bought all their lights from me and I was just about to the point the buyer was going to start converting their shop to LEDs. I couldn't afford to burn my bridge and lose that business. In the end if they convert the whole place over to my LEDs I'll get all the money I felt I gave up on the deal.

Either way I have a new set of wheels, it's just 6 months sooner then I wanted to trade, and it cost me some too. This new stuff is just too fancy. Left the dealership and couldn't figure out how to turn the heated seat off or down and it was set on high. Thought I was going to burn my butt before I figured it out.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Well traded in my Jeep today for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. Didn't get along real well with the service department about the loose oil filter causing the engine problem. Finally went up front today and did some trading. Started about 9:30 this morning and didn't get the deal done until after 3, with a lot of back and forth. In the end I wasn't happy, and the dealer wasn't happy either. So I figure if we were both unhappy, then it was probably fair to both. He had me in a tough spot but he didn't know it.

I probably gave up a couple thousand dollars on the deal. But they've bought all their lights from me and I was just about to the point the buyer was going to start converting their shop to LEDs. I couldn't afford to burn my bridge and lose that business. In the end if they convert the whole place over to my LEDs I'll get all the money I felt I gave up on the deal.

Either way I have a new set of wheels, it's just 6 months sooner then I wanted to trade, and it cost me some too. This new stuff is just too fancy. Left the dealership and couldn't figure out how to turn the heated seat off or down and it was set on high. Thought I was going to burn my butt before I figured it out.
That's a long time to sit in a dealership, ouch.

I have a newer Jeep Cherokee that I bought for work, since I put on a lot of miles, and often long trips during bad weather conditions.

First vehicle that I have had with heated seats and steering wheel. I consider myself a little spoiled now.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
That's a long time to sit in a dealership, ouch.
Well I did leave for a little while to get something to eat and go over to my banker fill out more paperwork there, and pick up a check to bring back to the dealer.

Either way a day that was lost.

Almost felt guilty stopping by the sporting goods store today to pick up a bucket of minnow. Wasn't going fishing, but had to get something to feed the bass I have in my aquarium.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:49 PM

Weather is a little up and down. 40s today, but teens tomorrow, then back to 30s. Slight chance of snow over the next 3 or 4 days, but it's not suppose to amount to much.

Caught a cold so guess it will be a good time to stay inside and take it easy. To go along with my hobby of fishing I decided to buy an airbrush kit and paint some lures. I'd found a couple places where I could buy crank bait blanks so all I had to do was paint them. Having never touched an airbrush before it's been a bit of a learning experience. Nice part is I used water based paints so if I don't like the results I just take a scrubby and some water and take it all off before I put the final sealer on.

Here's sort of a slide show/video of a few of the lures I've painted so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kCcQkcrCfM
Old 02-03-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post

We've had a 2014 grand Cherokee since new and really like it. We got the 5.4 hemi engine.lots of fancy stuff on it we don't use too. But it was the size we wanted. Looked at chevy and Gmc SUV and there was no comparison to the jeep.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:48 PM

This is my fourth Jeep, got the first one back in the 80s. Put over 200,000 miles on each of the first two.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:23 PM
Master Pontificator

around 20 degrees and cloudy

had a few more firewood sales the last couple days, so I had a little extra to invest in 2 cases of bar oil and a 5 gallon can of ethanol free premium gas for the saw (flushed out the first 2 gallons of the pump putting that into someone's car, so I was sure no ethanol went into my can, that stuff ruins chainsaws). also got some more feed and paid up a repair bill at my friends chainsaw shop (was riding around with him all morning and that's how I got this stuff done). while at his shop I saw the owner of a local sugar operation when he came in to pay off his own repair bill, I mentioned how much poplar I had and he might be out to buy some for the sugar house. so the month looks to be starting off well.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:52 PM

Glad to hear things are looking up, Sentanta. Some folks up here use avgas for special uses--no etoh and leaded (I think). The FAA has forbidden the use of "altered" fuel as unreliable. Engine failure in the air is a little different than a breakdown at the side of the road.

I've got planting full swing and the weather has been fantastic for this time of year--into the 20s in the daytime and sunny. It either gets cold or windy at night, but then I am not outside then. Celery, onions, eggplants and some peppers started so far. I have to go out to the potting shed (our converted dairy goat barn) to bring in some more flats. Our big order of ProMix hasn't arrived yet, so I am making do with smaller bags of starting mix. That will be fine until I get into the squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes when I use bigger pots. We cover all our garden expenses by selling bedding plants and perennials. That brings in enough revenue to cover pots, potting mix, and all our seeds and fertilizer components. Some years we sell at local farmer's markets as well.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:10 PM

OH SNAP...... Looks like I missed Ground Hog day on Friday. Doesn't matter there will either be 42 more days or 6 weeks of winter at least to go this season. Yesterday local weather guessers predicting 20 - 25cm snow yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Look to be spot of so far. We are usually 24 - 48 weather hours behind Doninalaska. Not sharing those warmer temps Don??

Got 4 new young geese a bit ago. Part African, part barn yard. Already big as the old geese so hopefully can fend off the eagles etc. Big enough flock now to be a threat to some predators hopefully.

Plowed snow and to town yesterday for a memorial for the uncle of KarenBC best friend. The whole family likes KarenBC so they seem to think I'm OK. I think it is more a "new meat" thing as the whole pack are practical jokers. Fun bunch none the less. Uncle Jack worked 1960s - 1990s in forestry, hunting guide, taxidermy and wrote 9 books of outdoor stories and history of the province. Very good reading. About 1000 or so people at the memorial. About 100 at the gathering at the senior center after. Of course my wise crack for the day was I was just there for the coffee and potato salad. You have to know there sense of humor.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Talking moving forward

Well we picked up a used tin tee pee 18' 2006 fun finder X. It is in fair condition needs tires .leak repaired,could use a new awing but that can wait,battery was wired incorrectly. I figured that out after 2 fuses popped in my hand while replacing the main fuse off the battery. SMH

The furnace had to come out as mud dobbers crafted a fine home in the exhaust fan housing. A little venting and 6 attempts and it fired off.

The frig freezer door is broken, it was spring loaded appears it was torn out and reinstalled. It also needs a new drain line the old one was a brittle.

Other than me adding brake control,load levelers , A/T cooler to the pick-up we should be ready to travel soon.

Had sunshine, cold below 30 a few mornings up to 50. Rained hard last night so all my firewood is wet. The cheap skate hasn't purchased a new tarp with-out holes like he was gonna do last week.

Had a dealer flyer arrive it has listed Lyman Great Plains Rifles at the lowest price I've seen in 4 years. Ordered 2-54cal flintlocks. I'd get more if all those people who asked about getting a flintlock would send some $$$my way . LOL

Also while spending money picked up 2 sets of Chiappa X Caliber 12 ga inserts to fire a variety of handgun cartridges, including 20ga and 410 reducer. They are appx 8" in length and RIFLED.Yes even the .410 3" chamber for 45 long colt is rifled. 20 ga is smooth.

Picked up a used NEF 12 ga rifled slug gun to test them in. The 20 ga hits the rifling so it does not slid in all the way. But it did work in an old Stevens side by side.

I test fired the 9mm at 25 yards never sighted or adjusted the sights and hit my mark 6 times.
Short video on my youtube channel.
The inserts my cost were considerably less like the Lyman rifles.

I'll sell them off individually, and keep the 410's for my over and under. Probably a 9mm or 380 maybe a 357 who knows.

Up loaded 3 videos on to youtube and found out they no longer off editing to merge them together.

I have 3 movie editors and can't get any of them to work correctly. Winders movie maker will merge them but with no sound.

The arthritis in my hands has plagued me so much I haven't done any sewing or leather work since prior to Christmas.
OHHH and I have a ton of stuff to complete!

Picked up a chain saw electric sharper for 10$ at the pawn shop. I see them for 30$ at china freight all the time. It works great especially since most of the trees I cut up are dead oak and hickory filled with ants and dirt.

Other than that ssdd

Bill
Old 02-04-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
OH SNAP...... Looks like I missed Ground Hog day on Friday. Doesn't matter there will either be 42 more days or 6 weeks of winter at least to go this season. Yesterday local weather guessers predicting 20 - 25cm snow yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Look to be spot of so far. We are usually 24 - 48 weather hours behind Doninalaska. Not sharing those warmer temps Don??

Got 4 new young geese a bit ago. Part African, part barn yard. Already big as the old geese so hopefully can fend off the eagles etc. Big enough flock now to be a threat to some predators hopefully.

Plowed snow and to town yesterday for a memorial for the uncle of KarenBC best friend. The whole family likes KarenBC so they seem to think I'm OK. I think it is more a "new meat" thing as the whole pack are practical jokers. Fun bunch none the less. Uncle Jack worked 1960s - 1990s in forestry, hunting guide, taxidermy and wrote 9 books of outdoor stories and history of the province. Very good reading. About 1000 or so people at the memorial. About 100 at the gathering at the senior center after. Of course my wise crack for the day was I was just there for the coffee and potato salad. You have to know there sense of humor.
I posted about the weather here a few days ago. Warmer temps as long as the wind is blowing. It was -20 F. here again this morning, so it is not warming up much. The forecasters are wrong most of the time here. They are predicting a small snow event tomorrow night, so we will see what develops from that. It has been beautiful here during the day, with temps in the 20s F. when the sun is out and we are getting around 8 hours of daylight now. For example, it was -20 when I got up, but it was +11 when I got home from church. Alaskans refer to Groundhog Day as Marmot Day, since that is what we have here, but it doesn't really matter since we are going to have at least 6 more weeks of winter in any case.

It sounds like "Uncle Jack" was a Canadian version of Patrick McManus. Lots of good stories there. Good luck with your new geese. We never had trouble with eagles on the geese, but the owls killed several and couldn't carry the whole bird so we would find carcasses with the head and neck missing in the morning after an owl attack.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
It sounds like "Uncle Jack" was a Canadian version of Patrick McManus.
My son has my 1970s Patrick McManus "getting lost requires planning" T shirt and I've never been able to get it back.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:01 AM

Yes... A more subtle (Canadian) version of Patrick McManus in some of the writing only these are true stories as many of the relatives were at the memorial who saw much of this happen. Books are good reading, stories around a table full of coffee cups are wonderful.

My wise crack about just being there for the potato salad got me several big bear hugs from different ones. Like said, your friends are Gods apology for your relatives. And the ones we know well are good friends.

Don, the temps here have been running -10 to -20C to add insult to injury with the snow. Snowing something over 48 hrs now.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:33 PM
Master Pontificator

cold cloudy and windy last couple days

been inside mostly, except a brief time I was able to go out and cut more cedar for logs and fence posts. got a buyer lined up for cedar boards, hopefully I can get the logs over to the mill when the weather improves, no tractor repaired yet so I have to drag them myself.

had to cover the couch in plastic sheeting then an old blanket as a cover. I have a leaky dog who leaves a wet spot wherever he sleeps. getting old.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:09 AM

Got about three inches of powdery snow yesterday and another 1/2 inch today. Sounds like some more Thursday night, Friday, and Saturday, but that one still doesn't sound like too much.

Three inches this time gave me a chance to try the blade on the truck for a longer period of time and I had no leaks so no air getting in the lines. This is good because my 3020 John Deere has a flat tire, or maybe I should just call it a low tire. If I put air in it I can use it, but by the next day it is low again. Going to have to find someone to come out to the place to fix it, and I'm afraid I may be getting close to being forced to buy tires. For what little it's used I can't justify new back tires. Even used ones will probably cost me over $500. Of course the key is finding some.

Hopefully the snows stay small enough the rest of the winter I can handle them with the truck and keep looking for some tires.