BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:46 AM

Post Looking for parts SMH

Spent the day driving around looking for trailer parts for towing. All these places have receivers,balls & tongues cept' no one knows what sway bars or load distribution is.

Did find some as seen on TV sealer for the one corner of the tin tee pee. Also located 2 splices for the trans oil cooler lines. Today is raining so that project ain't gonna happen.

Rained all night has let up some a big front in headed down my way. There is an opening and it may pass over us while the rest of the state gets pounded.

The Lyman flintlocks arrived in good shape and are posted on gun-broker. The gun smith I deal with is making a Glock 9mm upgrade it will be fitted with a slide & trigger he's working on. This way customers will not have to purchase a Glock then upgrade parts separately. He asked me to quote 10,000 rounds of various 9mm cartridges.

Had a phone call from a person who has been waiting 12 weeks for a local gun store to order/come in his BP revolver. I told him when he asked how long it would take me to get one. I replied, I verify stock,payment upfront prior to ordering then 2-3 days if it's in stock.

I returned his call last night and left a message as his choice , the 1858 New Army 44 Uberti has 7 different options.

I did get a new camo tarp over my firewood pile yesterday. It sucks piling up wood allowing it to dry and covering it with my old Sunday tarp. Then to go get a arm load of wood and it's all wet.

Other than that clean the ashes out of the wood stove.

Quoted a few items and may go to the museum later on to see the muzzle loader display.

ttyl Bill
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Today I am loopy. Under the influence. High.

Because today I got the meds for my MS: I take them every 6 months. But, the meds have strong side effects, so to protect me they give me a strong mixture of benedryl, Tylenol, and solu medrol. And, solu medrol makes me high and benedryl makes me drowsy. I sort of float away for a few hours.

On the GOOD side, tomorrow is the only day this week that will have mild weather, so I can do some minor puttering that I have been wanting to do. I am looking forward to it.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post

This is good because my 3020 John Deere has a flat tire, or maybe I should just call it a low tire. If I put air in it I can use it, but by the next day it is low again. Going to have to find someone to come out to the place to fix it, and I'm afraid I may be getting close to being forced to buy tires. For what little it's used I can't justify new back tires. Even used ones will probably cost me over $500. Of course the key is finding some.
I'm in exactly the same position with my Yanmar. I need to have one rear tire repaired, it's too darned heavy for one guy to move about, I don't have the equipment (more important) or skills (can learn) to fix it on site. Nor do I have the trailer to haul it somewhere.

Eh, solutions are everywhere .. but ...

I have a serious case of Cabin Fever. Tons of work to do, projects abound, but have absolutely no motivation at the moment.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Today I am loopy. Under the influence. High.

Because today I got the meds for my MS: I take them every 6 months. But, the meds have strong side effects, so to protect me they give me a strong mixture of benedryl, Tylenol, and solu medrol. And, solu medrol makes me high and benedryl makes me drowsy. I sort of float away for a few hours.

On the GOOD side, tomorrow is the only day this week that will have mild weather, so I can do some minor puttering that I have been wanting to do. I am looking forward to it.
Sorry you are feeling loopy, but if it only happens twice a year and it slows or stop the progression, it is probably worth it. Enjoy your good weather!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
I'm in exactly the same position with my Yanmar. I need to have one rear tire repaired, it's too darned heavy for one guy to move about, I don't have the equipment (more important) or skills (can learn) to fix it on site. Nor do I have the trailer to haul it somewhere.

Eh, solutions are everywhere .. but ...

I have a serious case of Cabin Fever. Tons of work to do, projects abound, but have absolutely no motivation at the moment.
I would think you guys in Minnesota and Nebraska would have mobile service in your areas. Fortunately, my tractor is small enough that I can take off the tires myself. We have several specialty tire dealers nearby (within 10 miles) and the John Deere dealer is only 2 miles down the road. A lot of guys have big hunting rigs that use large tractor tires, so we have a variety of odd sizes available. Some guys use "tundra tires" from aircraft for their hunting buggies, but those things are thousands of dollars apiece unless they get them used.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM

I do have mobile tire service here. My JD has 15.5 x 38 tires so I'm not touching something that big. Fortunately years ago I had the fluid removed.

My fear is having the guy out only to have him tell me there's too many big splits or one of the splits is so bad he can't put a boot in and I need a different tire. I'd hate to spend a bunch of money only to have him have to come back again if and when I can find some used tires.

Suppose to get an inch or two of snow tonight and Friday morning. Then another inch or two Saturday. It looks like Monday should be sunny and mid 30s, which hopefully would be warm enough to put a crust on the snow we've gotten lately. With three inches from the other day, and maybe three or four more the next couple days, that could be a lot of snow to start blowing around if the wind really started blowing.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
I would think you guys in Minnesota and Nebraska would have mobile service in your areas. Fortunately, my tractor is small enough that I can take off the tires myself. We have several specialty tire dealers nearby (within 10 miles) and the John Deere dealer is only 2 miles down the road. A lot of guys have big hunting rigs that use large tractor tires, so we have a variety of odd sizes available. Some guys use "tundra tires" from aircraft for their hunting buggies, but those things are thousands of dollars apiece unless they get them used.
Yep. About 40 miles away. I should probably send him a picture of what needs repairing before I call him out. I just keep on having glorified thoughts and musings on how I can hickrigfix it myself.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Yep. About 40 miles away. I should probably send him a picture of what needs repairing before I call him out. I just keep on having glorified thoughts and musings on how I can hickrigfix it myself.
I'll tell you what doesn't work. Putting more air in and then coming back the next day hoping it held.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 PM
Master Pontificator

ok temperatures around 25, clear skies mostly

not much to do at the moment, it snowed a few days ago covering the slash that I might otherwise have tried to burn, and covering everything else. since I don't feel like shoveling out the entire property i just stayed inside for the last 2 days waiting for better working conditions. i could have gone out and cut more but i already have so much on the ground to do when the snow clears anyway. roughly a month until i expect to get back to regular working, early march is usually the last of the serious snow, then by mid to late march the snow will be mostly gone and early greens as early as late march. i sure hope that shop gets my tractor fixed, only got about 5 weeks till i expect to need it.

made a kind of lasangia today, i had canned beef, noodles, a block of mozzarella i bought weeks ago, spices, and canned tomatoes, wish i had cottage cheese but haven't been to a town with a store that carries such a fancy thing since early January. even without it the lasangia came out acceptable (or maybe i am just sick of the other stuff i been eating and it tastes acceptable only in comparison). wish i could get an order of chicken and garlic sauce from the Chinese place half the county away, but i don't expect to make that kind of trip for another 2 months at the earliest.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:41 PM

The cat is jumping up and down in the living room today, and trying to tear up the carpet as well.

I sympathize with how he feels. The ground is frozen hard, I feel like gardening but cannot, and when the cat goes outside the mice are refusing to come out and "play".

All I can do is read gardening forums. Today I learned, to my surprise, that potatos come in "determinate" and "indeterminate" varieties, just like tomatos do. "indeterminate" varieties will set potatos all up the potato stem, which mean that that variety can be used as a potato tower with resulting big yields, but that "determinate" potatos will only set spuds at one spot, and so there is no point in heaping the soil up to get more potatos. Apparently the "indeterminate" potatos are the late varieties, and the "determinate" potatos are the early ones. The mid-season tomatos can be either.

Live and learn!

The seed potatos I ordered will not arrive until April. Bleah!
Old 02-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Master Pontificator

I hear that, was freezing rain today and stuck inside myself waiting till spring work starts
Old 02-11-2018, 10:34 PM

Default SNOWMAGEDIN......

The GWN has lived up to it's name this last week or so. All totaled we have gotten about 80 - 85cm snow. (32-34") Most of it all strait down, except the one night when it blew like crazy right AFTER I got the whole yard, driveway, and driveway mouth cleaned out. Then had to do it all again. Also the temps have run -20 to -30C........ Wonderful.

Got everything cleaned out good enough but district road was still not plowed so took about 3 days for that to get done. Went to town today. Breakfast at the Eagles club. Always nice and visit with several there. Ran into a local
couple we saw at Uncle Jacks funeral. Heard a new to us story about Jack and big brother Clarence who out hunting and on there way to a remote cabin for the night. Arrived late evening at the cabin and as doing chores for there stay, Jack made and they drank a big pot of tea from provisions found in the cabin. It was much enjoyed until they both spent the night to and from the outhouse. Next morning to find it was Chinese herb tea to cure constipation.....

Down the hill to the river bottom of town and into a total mess. Streets in terrible shape yet, smog from the paper and wood chip pulp plants smell like road kill on a summer day. Local paper saying town snow storage is so full they have to dump it onto river and will take a week or more to clean up town. Virtually no open water anywhere on river that can be seen from the usual places. Not good when spring finely does come, as ice jam damage is yet another problem.

Found a place with a new to us ongoing book sale. In the two stops we have made there we have lightened there load by a minimum of 4 shopping carts full. KarenBC, and MIL distribute books to a bunch of free lending locations with the tracking web site called "Book Crossing" KarenBC is often first place in number of books registered with the site from Canada. Many trips to town and virtually every trip out of town there are books in the car to restock several locations depending on route of travel. All fun.

We also have been making "wish lists" from about 5 different seed and nursery catalogs. One has free shipping so that one has about 4 pages of "wish" so far.

Clearing driveway snow I have seen moose tracks down the district road, across driveway and off in the bush to the dam and pond on our place. Last winter moose were in the yard and browsed off some of our small domestic cherry and honey berry bushes. The don't seem to bother the wild Saskatoon bushes in the yard. Neighbor nest to our neighbor (6 -7 kilometers) has seen a cougar a time or two lately, but seems to only pass through. Problem is they have cattle, horses and other large and small livestock. Eventually it will be "re awakening" time here in the bush. Not always all pleasant experiences with that change of seasons. But we are more than ready for a season change.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:16 AM

Still staying cold. Local weatherman said so far Feb has averaged 9 degrees below normal. Wed it is suppose to be 44, if so we'll finally get above normal.

I have a feeling when it breaks it may break all at one time. Highs have been in the 20s or teens, but when I watch the weather at night I've been seeing the record highs for the date have been in the 60s or 70s. It is odd to see that, but it does show we're getting to the time of year we can have pretty warm temps. Of course I'm sure those highs came when there was no snow on the ground, and right now we probably have 6 or 7 inches sitting there now. So we'll need to melt that off before we see some real warmth.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:57 PM

It has warmed up to almost 32F. here and it is snowing like crazy at the moment. Many of the schools around are closed. This was a warm system that came north from the Pacific; there is a Siberian storm (where they usually come from here) heading this way, but you never know what is going to happen. We got about 4 inches of snow yesterday, but is was colder than. The days are getting longer at almost 6 minutes a day now, so Spring is just around the corner. Tim, I hope you enjoy breakup. Is this your first mud-flood season there?
Old 02-13-2018, 01:36 AM

First day in the last 9 days we had no measurable snow. Thankfully most days dropped 3 inches or less. Powder snow so not so bad to shovel but the piles from clearing the drive will take a while to melt.

Last spring we got the last major homestead upgrade/repair completed. We keep a running list of major items that need to be replaced or maintained. Sadly nothing these days is built to last. So time to start a new list, looking 10 years down the road.

In 2016, we started the quest to pay off the mortgage early - as in before I turn 62. Making good progress - being debt free when I retire (not for another 13 years if all goes as planned) is a must in my mind. Plus we're now set up that if the economy takes a huge crap, both kids and their significant others could live with us.

I too am thinking about the garden but with over a foot and a half of snow on it, hard to get too excited right now.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, expected to peak around 30 today

had an unexpected firewood sale yesterday afternoon, I stopped advertising a while ago but a local mechanic I hired in the past to work on my truck came over looking for wood to heat his shop with. so I sold a cord of poplar for a quick $35, which helps me out today because there are 2 trees I planned to cut but haven't because that cord was stacked between them, now that the woods gone I can cut them for posts and cedar lumber. I might also be able to get that mechanic to fix the atv and the other tractor and pay him with firewood. I would have asked him about equipment before but I had not seen him since the summer and the word around town was he was out of the area

just ate a massive pile of home fries and scrambled eggs, too full to go out working, but once it settles I will be out sawing today.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:25 PM

I sent in a seed order today. I usually get the few seeds that I must buy at the feed store as they are about 50 cents per scoop, but on an impulse I put in a seed order with Jackie Clay-Atkinson at her blog. I ordered 2 because they were varieties I had not yet tried, I ordered Painted Mountain corn because I have lost the seeds I set aside, and I ordered broccoli and cabbage just because I wanted to.

It is a good investment: if I like the new variety of veggies I will save the seeds. And, I rarely use a full packet of melon seeds and such anyways, so a packet lasts me about 3 years.

I do like melons but as a diabetic I must keep my portions small. Generally 1 melon lasts me a week.

Today is blessedly mild, though I hear winter will return next week. It might hit 40 degrees today.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
sunny, expected to peak around 30 today

had an unexpected firewood sale yesterday afternoon, I stopped advertising a while ago but a local mechanic I hired in the past to work on my truck came over looking for wood to heat his shop with. so I sold a cord of poplar for a quick $35, which helps me out today because there are 2 trees I planned to cut but haven't because that cord was stacked between them, now that the woods gone I can cut them for posts and cedar lumber. I might also be able to get that mechanic to fix the atv and the other tractor and pay him with firewood. I would have asked him about equipment before but I had not seen him since the summer and the word around town was he was out of the area

just ate a massive pile of home fries and scrambled eggs, too full to go out working, but once it settles I will be out sawing today.
Sounds like things are looking up for you! That is great!.. If you can get all your equipment up and running for a currency you can use it will make your work more productive. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I sent in a seed order today. I usually get the few seeds that I must buy at the feed store as they are about 50 cents per scoop, but on an impulse I put in a seed order with Jackie Clay-Atkinson at her blog. I ordered 2 because they were varieties I had not yet tried, I ordered Painted Mountain corn because I have lost the seeds I set aside, and I ordered broccoli and cabbage just because I wanted to.

It is a good investment: if I like the new variety of veggies I will save the seeds. And, I rarely use a full packet of melon seeds and such anyways, so a packet lasts me about 3 years.

I do like melons but as a diabetic I must keep my portions small. Generally 1 melon lasts me a week.

Today is blessedly mild, though I hear winter will return next week. It might hit 40 degrees today.

Saving your own seeds is a great idea since you can develop your own sub-varieties for your own micro-climate. I have done it for years for simple stuff, such as beans, peas, tomatoes and peppers. Squash is a little more difficult, and corn can be quite hard since it has tow different genomes and is wind pollinated. There is a guy up here who hybridizes his own tomatoes, which is too hard for this old man, since it involves a bit of "plant flower surgery" that my hands and eyes just can't do any more. Have you tried any hybridizing or "de-hybridizing" (turning a hybrid into an open-pollinated variety)? I have tried Painted Mountain corn here two years ago, but I think it is too far north here for that. I will try one more time with it before I move on.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 AM

My attempts to hybridize failed, and after a few generations some unwanted genes creep into my plants and it is better if I buy fresh seeds. One year my sweet corn apparently picked up some "terminator" genes, and the planting using saved seeds failed, but mostly the unwanted genes just affect yield or size or whatever.

I guess that is what happens when you live in Kansas, where gardens are common and there are hundreds of acres of corn all around that also shed pollen. I am not very organized with my seed savings but that is OK, as I now figure on getting fresh seeds every few years anyways.

Seed is often expensive, and by only needing to buy 2-3 types most years I save a small fortune. I would LIKE to develop local varieties, but that one year when the corn pretty much failed showed me just how bad the pollen contamination in my area was.

Last edited by Terri; 02-14-2018 at 12:56 AM.