BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants

Plants Plant-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Seedy Saturday.... Seed Exchange

Yesterday was Seedy Saturday in our part of the GWN.... I don't know the details, but it is gardeners of all levels, many who save seeds and do exchanges and so on. I don't know details as I'm black thumb and only do the physical work for the garden. KarenBC does the thinking and plant nurturing.

It was a pain to get there as streets and such are still not in good shape from our weather of late. However she is very pleased with the things she got.

I got to talk to the guy from our area who raises hay and honey. Talked about checking out our upper pasture as a place for him to set hives this spring. If it is good for him, it will be good for our pasture, garden, and all. I'm sure there would be a bit of good rewards to barter for the use of this land. We also compared notes on our efforts on how to best control omnivorous predators, I you know what I mean. If/when spring comes, we will see what happens.

Anyone attend, contribute to local seed exchanges, and similar programs??
Old 02-26-2018, 02:09 PM

I think it I a great idea, but I know of no such exchange here. I think spreading the "heirlooms" that do well in your area is a wonderful idea.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:02 AM

With the things KarenBC got at the Seedy Saturday meeting it is back to the seed catalogs to revise the lists she made from them.

I have been searching catalogs and web for berry bushes and trees. I've got a slope in the pasture which has the right lay out for sun and moisture where I want to put in a mini orchard if you will, of berry bushes. Saskatoon, honey berry (has another name), low tree high bush type cherry. Things like that.

I know where to get a post hole digger for the tractor to use. About a 12" hole as deep as it will cut. Fill 7/8 of the hole with a combo of rabbit barn cleanings (lots of hay in that) and donkey apples. I have lots of old woven fence wire to make cages about 30" diameter and old steel posts to anchor them. Small square of woven wire over the top to moose proof them.

Last year with the berries we had, some we got on sale places, and some given to us from the lower main land (BC berry orchards) KarenBC made "Huckel Berry" (berry mix) jams and pies to die for... I want to give her more ammo for making things like that.. Yumm