BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Master Pontificator

Default March 2018

45 degrees, cloudy, spitting rain

last couple days were extremely productive for me, had a huge branch burn pile yesterday and cleaned up almost half an acre of slash from logging work over winter. got an old pile burning then kept gathering and throwing green branches on it. also piled firewood rounds and poles.

sore all over today since I been working heavily for almost a week. might slow down today for a break.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

-16 F here this morning but no new snow. I got the truck wiper assembly back together and on the truck, but then proceeded to get the truck stuck in the driveway--got sucked into a berm when I wasn't watching closely enough. Spent an hour digging it out. My little tractor just isn't heavy enough to handle the berms, so I may have to call someone to plow the berms back with something heavier if we get more snow. The previous owner of this house said he had tried everything to keep the driveway clear; nothing worked well except a tractor-mounted snowblower. I had one on my old Craftsman tractor that worked for years, but it finally wore out and was old enough that it was no longer supported for parts. The previous owner had to bring in a dozer one year when the snow was particularly bad; we have never had to go that far. I guess I could make things better by taking down a bunch of trees and widening the driveway, but I like the trees and hate to cut them down. My ProMix order arrives in a few hours and I will have to head in to pick it up.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:34 PM

Warming up for the weekend. Should be in the 60s with high winds, so that should take care of most of the ice on the lakes. Small lakes that don't catch much wind will probably still have ice, but most should lose a lot of it.

Driveway getting sloppy, which is normal for this time of year. Might need to get some new rock this year.

Don, wish I could get my tractor to you. I have an 8 1/2' snowblower for it, but usually don't have the right snow to use it so it's not on the tractor.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:23 AM

I wish I could get the tractor too. -3 F. at the moment...it is supposed to get to -13 F. tonight. We'll see, as they had been predicting highs in the 20s and lows in the teens until yesterday, when it all changed to cold. It is supposed to get below -30 F. in Fort Yukon tonight. Glad I am not there.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Well at those temps my tractor probably wouldn't start anyway.

Seems a 50+ year old diesel tractor, even with it's block heater plugged in, doesn't like to start in those type of temps. Can't say I blame it.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Good and bad weather news.....
It is still hovering around 0C for highs and -10C or so for lows. Predictable if nothing else. Snow that started early Tuesday morning has stopped. Have about 20 to 30cm of light fluffy to deal with. Luckily no wind to speak of to drift significantly. I will get the tractor out today and tomorrow to deal with it.

Bad weather news is, MIL is getting this storm in there area now we had. She planned to make an overnight trip up to visit, exchange books and such. The roads in there area have been somewhat better than here. Not now it seems.

To town yesterday for necessary errands. This always wares us out. Town in river bottom, with most main streets clear and wet. Most side streets still a total mess. Most town drivers are total idiots. Couldn't get back to the bush too soon.

Hunter. The block heater on my newer tractor is kind of a slow cooker in that you keep it plugged in 24/7. My old tractor was a real tea kettle as 2 hours on a timer and it was too hot to touch.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:08 PM

I didn't get as cold as predicted (what's new). Clouds moved in late and it was above 0 F. when I got up this morning. I discovered soon after I got this tractor that I have to keep it plugged in almost all winter. I also use a battery blanket and for a while I was using a float charger/ battery maintainer. The charger doesn't seem to matter unless it is idle for months, but the year after I bought the tractor, we had -40 F/C temps or lower for 2 weeks. We had gotten snow before the temps dropped, but I couldn't do anything with it as the tractor would not start even if I plugged it in. I have since discovered that if I keep it plugged in all winter, it always starts. The hydraulic fluid is a little sluggish when it gets below -20 F., but if I leave it at idle for a few minutes, it seems to work fine.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:48 PM

My block heater heats fairly quickly, a few hours and the tractor will be good to go if the temp is 10 above or better. But once it's spent a few days below 0 it's much tougher. I'm thinking the fact that it's a diesel doesn't help. Sure wish it was gas operated.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 PM
Master Pontificator

30 degrees, heavy cloud cover, and a light dusting of snow overnight but gone by noon

another productive day for me, I lit up another old pile of branches at 10am then spent most of the day gathering branches from all over the area around in in a 300 foot radius and throwing them on the fire. got a lot more cleaned up. now just firewood and logs all over the ground to clean up tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:16 AM

A friend with an orchard told me he is going to invest in a chipper instead of spending time burning the waste. He can then sell all the mulch that he doesn't use himself. Sentanta, maybe that would be an idea for you to supplement your summer income.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:29 AM

Pretty nice here, 40F at home. Was -4F this morning Up Nord, when I dropped the Dogs off with the In Laws.

Time to escape MN for a bit. Heading to Ireland to ... well, the liver won't be happy.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Master Pontificator

already have a chipper, I save the apple prunings for that exact reason. but most of what I was burning was elm, poplar, dogwood, pine, and a little ash. the apple and maple gets chipped (not together). to chip everything would take about 150 gallons of gas and 200 hours running the tractor (3pt hitch chipper takes up to 6 inch branches), I tried it before and use the mulch I made before in the garden and as litter in the chicken coops, but given the fuel costs and time its faster and cheaper (and more environmentally sound as far as the global warming hippies are concerned) to just burn the stuff that won't make good chips. walkway chips don't sell for much (can get a pickup load for $20). just getting all of it cleaned up so I don't have branches all over the ground in the pasture, makes it easier for grasses to come in and for walking around, also keeps rabbits from flooding the property and other small garden raiding vermin.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
already have a chipper, I save the apple prunings for that exact reason. but most of what I was burning was elm, poplar, dogwood, pine, and a little ash. the apple and maple gets chipped (not together). to chip everything would take about 150 gallons of gas and 200 hours running the tractor (3pt hitch chipper takes up to 6 inch branches), I tried it before and use the mulch I made before in the garden and as litter in the chicken coops, but given the fuel costs and time its faster and cheaper (and more environmentally sound as far as the global warming hippies are concerned) to just burn the stuff that won't make good chips. walkway chips don't sell for much (can get a pickup load for $20). just getting all of it cleaned up so I don't have branches all over the ground in the pasture, makes it easier for grasses to come in and for walking around, also keeps rabbits from flooding the property and other small garden raiding vermin.
I will pass your experience on to my friend. It may affect his decision.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Tin Tee Pee

Man picked up a used 18' Fun Finder X Cruiser tin tee pee I knew it had a slight seam leak. The previous owner had caulked it but it was still leaking. I got 2 stories on how the dent appeared in the front edge and top.

Branch fell on it, father in law hit something . IMO the corner was so rotten and had leaked probably from day one in 2006 since several of the screws were corroded through.

I've spent 3 weeks working on the corner and pretty much have it completed on the outside. The corner ,18" on either side was soaked and rotten. Filled in with new wood stays,foam,glue. Now to finish the inside with thin wood and some kind of wall paper.

4 new tires, checked wheel bearings, replaced leaking external shower hoses and head.
Had to get a new distribution hitch for towing. Most of the work is typical RV upkeep. The inside is in great condition. The hot water heater works , the furnace had mud dobbers in the gas tube and did the hot water htr.
Double checked the furnace today and it didn't want to light off?? Figures I want to check it out since it's in the upper 30's

Picked up a Thompson Center contender in 357 Herrett , 10" barrel with scope, ammo and dies. I'll give a shoot report after the dies and ammo arrive.
The 357 Herrett is a wild cat made from the cut down 30-30 case. The 30-30 started out as a 38-55 which was reformed into the 30-30 case. Suppose it's a wild cat of a 1894 wild cat cartridge. LOL

Other than that nothing else new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg herrett.jpg (9.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-04-2018, 03:45 PM

Sounds like you have a good few weeks there. Let us know how you new weapon shoots when you get it going.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:23 PM

Both days of the weekend were in the 60s. A bit windy, but at least warm. Rain came in overnight, and maybe a little sleet, temp in the upper 30s. This morning I looked out and the yard was covered in Robins.

Now three hours later the yard is covered in snow. Damn Robins must have brought it with them.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
I will pass your experience on to my friend. It may affect his decision.
Just tell your friend to make sure the chipper he wants to buy is big enough for the job he wants to do. My chipper was $3K, takes limbs up to 5" in diameter, and does the job lickety split. Which is what I needed.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Master Pontificator

I think it also matters the volume your friend is planning to chip, I have been burning branches in huge 10 foot piles for much of the last 2 weeks, and I have barely burned 10% of the branches I have to deal with. but this is all 2 and a half years worth of logging work. if I had much smaller amounts to do I probably would chip it. when it comes to that volume burning is a lot more efficient than chipping.

my chipper is the same size as the one I used to use when I oversaw a storm damage cleanup crew for a township, based on the volume I have on my farm and my experience on that crew I estimated how long it would take (working alone rather than a 4 man crew). please take that into account when advising your friend on buying a chipper.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Well by about 3 pm yesterday what snow we had was gone, but then this morning it was replaced with a new layer. Still not suppose to get that much, a couple inches at best, but the wind is still blowing hard so visibility isn't very good. School opening delayed 2 hours.

Only good thing about the strong winds is that the lakes really opened up quick. A little wave action will make that ice disappear fast.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 PM
Master Pontificator

cloudy this morning then sunny in the afternoon, around37

another day of burning slash piles. got the biggest one done today, was nearly 40 feetx20 feet and nearly 8 feet high in some places. yesterdays snow made it all very hard to burn, so once I got part of it going it took all day slowly moving down to the other end. got it all done, plus burned another smaller 10x10x8 pile. then in the afternoon while monitoring the fire I cut more firewood, maybe 2 cords worth, but I threw the branches right onto the fire so I don't have to deal with them later. then I cut a small pine that was all twisted and knotty, about 30 inches diameter at chest height and maybe 75 feet tall. almost the entire tree will be low grade firewood but by removing it I remove the shade it cast over nearly 2 dozen apple trees and a few maples, these other trees should get another 2 hours direct sunlight per day now. getting dark now so I am in for the day. calling for light snow tomorrow so I will probably be out again if its not too bad.