BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Well my daughter had a busy week last week. Last year she started a herd of Nubian dairy goats. Last week 5 does had a total of 11 babies. She still has one more to go next month.

For the last couple months she had been buying goat milk at the store to start making goat milk soap. She wanted to practice so she'd be ready when she had her own milk. She and my granddaughter make all kinds of fragrances, and many have a holiday theme. So far she can't keep the soap on the shelf very long before it's all sold.

My side benefit was today I got some goat cheese, and a quart of goat milk to try. Had a taste of the milk and it was pretty good. My daughter said the goat milk they bought in the store tasted like goat, but with this you can't tell.

Might have to try my hand at making some goat cheese myself.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:34 PM

We're still pretty much buried in snow here in Maine, but we haven't had any new snow for a while and lost some of it to melt over the past few days. The forecast is for more snow though, beginning tomorrow night through Saturday, at least. But the temperatures are supposed to be above freezing during the day, so I expect it will be more of a mess than anything else. So far this year, the forecasts have been worse than the actualities.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:21 AM

Yeah, we are getting more snow as I type. This is supposed to be a "small storm", and there is another coming tomorrow night that they are having difficulties forecasting. That means it could be one inch or it could be two feet. It is called hedging their bet. It is a beautiful time of year however, if I can keep the driveway clear....
Old 03-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Got down to the teens last night, hopefully that will be our last real cold night for the winter. It's the 8th of March, someone will be planting corn here within the next 30 days, so it has a lot of warming to do in a hurry.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:38 PM

Still snowing as I write. Temps in the 20s, which is where it should be here at this time of year. We are starting seeds indoors under lights, but nobody will be planting outside for quite a while yet. I often plant spinach in unheated greenhouses at this time of year and cover the seeds with snow. The snow keeps the seed from germinating too early and keeps the soil moist as it melts. We cannot grow spinach here when the soil outside is thawed due to the daylength; it bolts almost as soon as it germinates. Corn is problematic here in the even in the warmest years.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:54 AM
Master Pontificator

cloudy, about 35 degrees

looks like I am getting back on the road next month. a friend of mine offered to give me one of his cars towards paying off a debt he owe me. his house burned down in January, his job is being phased out, and his dealership and other businesses are stagnating, so he decided to capitalize on the fire and just move to Florida and retire. he is trying to settle up all his businesses and debts so he can retire unencumbered. so I will be getting back on the road next month (he would have given it to me sooner but he is still waiting for insurance money to pay for swapping out the locks and ignition system on his jeep, the keys to which were still on his kitchen table when the kitchen collapsed into the basement during the fire, he can't sign over the car till he gets a new system in his jeep, the cars keys were in his garage at the time of the fire). so that's my good news

not sure what i'll be doing today, I burned through 5 gallons of chainsaw gas since last Saturday (7 days) and a grill size propane tank running the flame weeder to ignite brush piles. thinking of just sitting around today.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:33 AM

Congratulations on getting a vehicle Setanta!

We're under a winter storm warning for tonight through tomorrow evening. They say 4-8" of snow.

We've been working on maple syrup. We have 12 trees tapped. We thought we'd missed it a few weeks ago when the temps were in the 50s and 60s but it got cold again and the sap started running again. We only make some every few years because we only use it in bread usually.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:49 PM

Woke up to the ground white again this morning, though I don't expect it to still be here by this evening. Should be cloudy all day, but if the temp makes it to 40 as expected the snow should melt.

Hopefully that will be it for this winter. A couple days in the 40s and then they're calling for upper 50s and upper 60s to end the week.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:25 PM

Default Spring Ahead... Again

Spring ahead... Again....
I only have one clock adjusted yet. Several more to go.

Bright sunny calm morning at -8C. High today and most of next week to be about 0C. Problem is the sun seems to not have any power. Snow doesn't seem to have shrunk any. Some ice icicles off the south facing roof, but not much else yet despite 11 hours between sun rise and set.

Town in the river valley yesterday is a patchwork of puddles in most intersections. Some about 30cm deep. Crews are out with hot water pressure washer type set ups to open storm drains. The chemicals they use all winter don't do much in the cold and don't help at all to promote draining.

Just day by day here in the bush. Bought a bag of chick starter feed as our old red hen should be a week, more or less, to go on the roost. We are only getting one banty hen egg at a time. So 3 of the 4 must be roosters and you know what that fate will be. Just who is who.. Geese are laying sporadically. None of them seem to be inclined to follow through with a nesting routine yet.

MIL made an overnight trip up to our part of the bush. Roads were good so she made a "book run" as they have just about exhausted there supply. Sent 19 liquor store boxes of books back with her for there library system and lending routine. We use liquor store boxes because they are small and sturdy. But I swear, KarenBC and her mum can both pack 10 kilo of books into a 5 kilo box in a heart beat.

KarenBC distributes books through a system called Book Crossing. She is consistently number 1 in Canada for number of books registered, and not less then number 10 in the world for a long time now. It is really interesting to see some of the feedback from where her books have been all over the globe.

Our kitchen has been busy most all winter. Since early last fall, KarenBC has nurtured a big jar of sourdough named "Fred" She and Fred have made many creations to fill a binder with recipes and notes. I'm the lucky "taste tester"
Old 03-11-2018, 08:05 PM

Temps are about the same here, Tim, but our snow seems to be slowly condensing. It doesn't seem quite as deep as a couple weeks ago. The book program sounds amazing; I haven't heard of anything like that here. We have quite a few government-supported libraries around, however, and books can be donated to them.

Cute name for the sourdough starter! Since my wife no longer can eat wheat, our baking has dropped to minimum. I will be making some kind of Easter bread for church, but I will make something she can eat as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:46 AM

Typical spring in the Midwest here - still snow on part of the yard but nice enough to do some yard work. Still at least a couple months away from garden planting. Keeping an eye on overnight lows - might be unplugging the heaters for wildlife water supply here soon.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Master Pontificator

30 degrees, cloudy, heavy snowfall, noreaster

couple days ago I was out heavily sawing in the pasture area, cleared an area 100'x100', piling the firewood and branches, but then we had the snow falling, while I could saw in this its hard to see what i'm sawing with snow stuck on everything and I don't like all the water mixing in with bar oil and chips in my saw, makes a runny mess to clean out.

been wandering web forums and I just noticed a strong similarity between peta and the gun control crowd. but that topic isn't really suited for this thread. thinking of writing an essay on it or making a youtube video, anything to alleviate some of the boredom in a snow storm.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:03 PM

We are in the midst of having our heaviest snow of the season. The most snow we had up until then was a few days ago, but this one has it beat, and it's still snowing heavily. I can't even open my back door. I am praying that March will let go of that lion thing soon, and bring out the lamb.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 PM

We got at least 6" of snow. Most of it is still here. I canned 7 pints of maple syrup today, and almost another pint left over. We have 10 gallons of sap in the fridge and probably 12 more gallons hanging on the trees to gather tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:19 PM

Warmed up here almost 70. Got the boat out but the fish must not have known it was that time of year again. Of course the water temp was only 39 so I guess I can't blame them. We'll give it another shot tomorrow before the weather turns again. Looks like rain for the weekend, with maybe a little overnight snow.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Master Pontificator

28 degrees, cloudy, wet snow stuck on everything outside, about a foot deep on ground

another day stuck indoors, haven't seen another person in a week now, just text on computer screen. thinking of walking to town, snow too much of a hinderence to get any productive work done.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:45 PM

It looks like they canceled our projected Tuesday storm (lack of interest, probably). Now, when I look at the weather forecasts, we're supposed to have maybe a little snow tonight, but then above-freezing temperatures and no snow for a few days. Maybe it's over, and I'm hoping the lamb thing kicks in soon.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:51 PM

After the warm stuff, today was 30s all day and a cold rain. Had some thunder and even a little small hail. Then again maybe that was big sleet.

First good rain of the year should start that grass greening up.

Game and Parks stocked trout again last Thursday. Better head out in the morning and see if I can put a few in the freezer. Should be cold and nasty enough in the morning there shouldn't be too many there.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:02 AM
Master Pontificator

-5 and sunny,

for the next week not a single cloud is expected, but it will be sub zero at night and never more than the 20s in the day. will have no lack for electric but there is too much snow on the ground to gather wood I cut before we got 3 noreasters in a row, and there is too much snow on the branch piles so I can't get them burning, and its too cold to cut more, plus I would have to leave high stumps because of all the snow and would have a lot of tripping hazards. so for the next week I don't think I will be doing much of anything. I got a few articles I plan to write but those projects are only half finished and I don't know how they will turn out.

I did sell some firewood on Friday the 16th, one of the guys running the tribes maple operation bought a full cord of poplar firewood, I gave him a generous discount since I also bummed a ride off him to spend half the money at the general store buying supplies (by supplies I mean candy, cinnamon rolls, chips and dip, and other junk food).
Old 03-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Sounds like the nor'easters give you a good excuse to take a break and enjoy a warm fire!