BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 03-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Master Pontificator

that's about all they are good for, though I am easily bored.

Right now I have a chicken that started living in my cabin. one of my buff orpingtons has gotten a little lethargic and weighs almost nothing, she is all feathers. I had road island reds like that and they usually died after a few weeks or months. not sure what causes it, most viruses, bacteria, or fungi would either pass or kill the bird much faster. in any case since the weather turned cold I separated her out and put her in a cage inside my cabin where she will be kept warm, isolated from the others, and have private sources of food and water. winter should be over in a few weeks (march often comes in like a lion with a harsh cold snap, then goes out like a lamb, basically with winter weather suddenly ending after one last bout of cold). I am hoping this hen will perk right up by the time the cold ends and I can put her out with the others again. I would have thought it might be caused by over crowding in that coop but the RIRs looked like this even when they were free range. no idea what she is sick from but I am hoping this experiment of isolation will be enough. I plan to build a 3rd coop once the weather warms up so I can break that flock up into 2 smaller groups.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Woke up to the ground being white again this morning. Shouldn't amount to much, but it is getting old. Should be in the mid 50s for highs this time of year, but winter still hangs on.

Time to think about getting the gas boat motor ready for the season. When I bought the boat last Nov, part of the deal was to go back to the dealer in March so they can show me how to start the boat. Actually I figured I could get it started, I just wanted to make sure it was going to start and run properly since it wasn't started when I bought it. Since I bought it from a dealer I could make that part of the deal, and insure everything was right about the motor.

The boat has a built in gas tank and I noticed it was half full when I bought it. They said they put Stabil in it, but I think they had that boat for a while, so the gas is going to be pretty old. So I bought one of those pumps you put on a cordless drill and I'm going to suck all the old gas out of the tank. Then tomorrow I'll stop by the gas station and put some new gas in it on the way to the dealer to get it started.

Going to be in the low 50s tomorrow with light winds. Might have to run over to the lake when we're done.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Woke up to the ground being white again this morning. Shouldn't amount to much, but it is getting old. Should be in the mid 50s for highs this time of year, but winter still hangs on.

Time to think about getting the gas boat motor ready for the season. When I bought the boat last Nov, part of the deal was to go back to the dealer in March so they can show me how to start the boat. Actually I figured I could get it started, I just wanted to make sure it was going to start and run properly since it wasn't started when I bought it. Since I bought it from a dealer I could make that part of the deal, and insure everything was right about the motor.

The boat has a built in gas tank and I noticed it was half full when I bought it. They said they put Stabil in it, but I think they had that boat for a while, so the gas is going to be pretty old. So I bought one of those pumps you put on a cordless drill and I'm going to suck all the old gas out of the tank. Then tomorrow I'll stop by the gas station and put some new gas in it on the way to the dealer to get it started.

Going to be in the low 50s tomorrow with light winds. Might have to run over to the lake when we're done.
Good luck with your "new" boat. Getting the old gas out if you don't know its history is a good idea. No boating here yet--we're still driving trucks on the lakes here, but some of the faster-moving streams are starting to peak through the ice.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:20 AM
Master Pontificator

Well, we're gearing up to get through the 4th noreaster in 4 weeks here. I'm so tired of this winter stuff. Already got about an inch of sleet tonight from a different storm. I'm still behind with grooming clients because we were without power for 4 days after the last storm. And they are calling for more snow on Sunday. This is the first winter that I can almost understand the whole snowbird thing.

Here's hoping Mother Nature takes pity on us tomorrow on lets the power stay on!
Old 03-21-2018, 01:11 AM

Good to see you back! Good luck with the storm. Hope all is well in Jersey.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Master Pontificator

around 37 degrees, sunny, the weather is expected to be about the same till Wednesday of next week with days slowly getting warmer. no severe cold expected overnight, if it continues like most year winter is effectively over.

went out early and cut a lot of cedar to mill, and cedar for pole construction, and a few pine, cedar posts, and lots of firewood. I have not been happy with the cabin the amish messed up and decided to build a new one, I drew up a floor plan/construction schedule/blueprint for a new 2 story 20x30 with a cellar and it should cost roughly $5500 to build and take 2 and a half years (basically dig the cellar by hand and make a stone foundation this year, and cut all the lumber and let it dry a year, then next year do the actual construction and interior finishing work done December of 2019 through march of 2020)

that sick chicken died, not sure what was wrong with it.

I might not be back on for a while, my phone that I teather to the computer for internet is out of service at midnight, I got a ride into town earlier and found no local stores carry the phone plan I used anymore, the distributor pulled the plan from the list of prepaid options and I do not like the other pay as you go plan. so for the forseeable future I will be without phone or internet access. though that may mean I build a lot more stuff just out of sheer boredom.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 PM

50s today, 60s tomorrow, and then it looks like rain for 3 or 4 days after that. Just got the gravel roads so they are passable, and now they'll be a mess again.

Dealer got the boat started. Put in some new spark plugs and gave me another set. He said they eat spark plugs like popcorn, so always keep a spare pair on hand. I told him I wanted to start it up a few times before starting it at the lake. He said it didn't take the normal earmuffs, instead having one opening near the bottom under the fin. He showed me what it took, and then said here go ahead and take this one.

Got done there by noon so headed to the lake. An electric only lake so didn't need to start the gas motor again. I'd put a new Garmin fish finder on it that has maps, and the ability to draw maps. The small lake I was on didn't have a map, so I stuck a SD card in and made my own map of the lake while fishing. The lake is only about 8 or 10 acres. Didn't catch any fish, but I did get a map out of it.

Working tomorrow morning and then heading back to a different small lake. A map of this one is already on my finder, so won't need to make one this time. Hopefully this time the fish are biting.

While at the dealer I traded my current electric trolling motor for a new one. Should be here on Friday, so I can put it on over the weekend. This motor comes with I Pilot, so if I go down the lake and make a track, I can save it and the motor will follow that track any time I go back to the lake. It also has spot lock, so if I hit a button on the foot control the trolling motor will keep the boat in one location through GPS. Spot lock is what I really wanted. It's like having an anchor without all the rope.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:37 AM

Rain last night, mid 30s with drizzle and a strong NE wind today. Sounds like the same tomorrow only low 40s. Monday night and Tue should be the last of the rain this time around, and maybe a little sun again.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:22 AM
Master Pontificator

45 today and sunny, expected to be the same most of the week

got a ride to town yesterday and got a phone card so I have internet again after 2 days offline. picked up 2 solar trickle chargers as well, got 6 or 7 12 volt batteries that only hold a small charge (10% of their original capacity), going to build 2 flood light towers where I need more light sometimes. just a waterproof box, 12 foot post, trickle charger, and salvaged 12 volt lights and wires and toggle switches.

today was a productive day, went out at first light and lit up a pile of cedar branches, then kept adding onto the hot coals and got a lot of recent slash cleaned up. cut cedar for logs to mill, and a lot of fence posts. it does make my cabin more visible from the road but I can count on security from the fence and gate and not so much being hidden. the cleared spot will be a good area to park equipment and I plan to build a new cabin on it eventually. drew up plans for a new 20x30 cabin with a cellar. will take 2 years to build and cost $5500, and since no amish will be involved the new cabin won't be full of flaws and problems like the one I live in now.

after the branches were burned I got a start on piling firewood that's now exposed from melting snow. piled maybe 10 cords worth in the afternoon. going to be burning more branches every day I can this week and piling firewood.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:19 AM

Good luck on cleaning up the slash as the snow melts.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:09 PM

Default March..... Lions and Lambs ???

How does it go ? March comes and goes like a lion or lamb ??

What ever it is, it seems to be hanging on until the bitter end of winter.
For the last week at least early mornings with 5cm of big puffy cotton ball snow in the mornings. Roofs will be clear by late afternoon.. Snow has settled to where the top 1/4 of chain link around garden is visible. Problem is the glaze in driveway and such is skating rink slippery. Ice gripper on boots are a must when out doing chores.

Have a grocery list made out of things that are on good specials before Easter holiday. Will see what the after Easter specials are this time next week.

Only other news is multiple reports of a cougar around small lakes about 3 km from here. At least this latest new snow on top of the snow crust will show tracks if anything come around. It is about time of year when bears will start to stir a bit. Not out in full force as food supply not dependable. Beef producer near us will be the first to know when anything wakens as early calves will be coming soon I imagine. Doninalaska, imagine you are about the same situation with wildlife.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:58 PM

Winter does seem to be hanging on. Last night the local weatherman said we might have snow Easter Sunday.

Rainy and cloudy again today, can't remember last time I saw the sun. Either last Wed or Thur. Wed this week is suppose to be up to low 60s with light winds, so I know where I'm going to be. Just not sure what lake the boat will be on, but it will be on a lake somewhere. The rest of the week looks like junk, and long range has the following week much of the same, 10 to 20 degrees below normal.

I think I could handle a smidge of global warming about now.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Master Pontificator

everything wet outside and around 40 degrees

finally got my tractor back from the shop, back in perfect working order but cost $850, could have been worse but got it back now. still got to fix the other one. put my atv up for sale, can't use on the road (despite farm use exemptions in state law I still end up paying tickets and the courtroom is a joke) and the tractors are just better at everything when it comes to work. I tried selling before unsuccessful but i'm trying again.

ground too wet to walk on, just sink my boot up to a foot into the mud now that its thawing. so stuck inside till at least the hilltop is dried, by the time all the work on the hill is done the rest should be dried. wet conditions like this wll probably limit work for at least a week, maybe 2.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:05 PM

I have cool-weather plants that are up, and it is going to freeze hard on April Fool's day. How appropriate.

So this morning I dumped armfuls of leaves everywhere: I sure am grateful for those trees!

I think I will serve a turkey breast for Easter dinner, and sugar-free pie. Just because I can.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:25 PM

Everything is still under snow, but it was above freezing much of the day today, so things are looking up. I think we are having both ham and turkey for Easter due to food issues with the grandchildren. The grandkids are coming over tomorrow for egg dying. It is pretty wild every year, but fortunately my wife will be in charge of it. My lady also runs an egg hunt on Easter morning after church, so....
Old 03-30-2018, 11:48 AM

HEE-HEE-HEE!

Fedco has shipped my tree order: an apricot and a dwarf apple!

It is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday!

I love spring.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
HEE-HEE-HEE!

Fedco has shipped my tree order: an apricot and a dwarf apple!

It is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday!

I love spring.

Good luck with your new trees! I, too, love Spring, but it is 6 weeks away here....
Old 03-30-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Good luck with your new trees! I, too, love Spring, but it is 6 weeks away here....
In my opinion spring starts when the ground thaws: we still get the odd freeze and snow storm right now, but the days are longer and the ground can be dug and stakes can be driven and-and-and!

And, yes, I know it is not the same where you live: here we get the odd freeze while I believe you are only getting the odd warm day.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:11 PM

"Spring is still 6 weeks away"........ That way here in this bush also.
Still daily high temps of -7C, windy, high barometer, and low humidity.

"Snowfall warning" for last night. Predicted 15 - 20 cm. Woke early to about 30 cm or more, with all my paths to barns etc drifted in..... again..... Was this a surprise you didn't warn me about Doninalaska ?? Will have to get the tractor out later when the sun gets around a bit more. Very bright out, but no power in the sunshine yet.

We will spend the day canning sweet potatoes we got on special. Already sliced a boneless ham that was on special. Now to cut into wee cubes and dehydrate.
A bit more work, but tastier than imitation bacon bits.

Have lots of work to do in my "meals in a jar" recipe note book. Good day for things like that.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:28 PM
Master Pontificator

By Terri's definition spring hit on the 45th parallel in ny, my boot went 2 feet in in part of the yard today from the thaw and mud soup.

40 degrees and cloudy.

spent the day stacking firewood in the places that I could actually walk on. in the evening I sold my atv, didn't get as much as I would have liked but it needed some work, I dropped the price by what the work would cost so it was still a fair deal. couldn't use on the road, the tractor more practical in the field, it needed some work, and was the most likely thing to get stolen if I left for the day, I just didn't want to bother with it any more, would rather have a 3rd tractor, nobody steals them because getaway chases are really booring and in the hours it takes to go anywhere.