BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:25 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
, would rather have a 3rd tractor, nobody steals them because getaway chases are really booring and in the hours it takes to go anywhere.
Cute! I would worry about someone with a truck and a car-hauler trailer, though. I used to leave the key in my little tractor, but as the crime around here rises, I no longer do that. If I leave the blade down, it would be very difficult to get it out of the shed without turning it on to lift the blade.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
"Spring is still 6 weeks away"........ That way here in this bush also.
Still daily high temps of -7C, windy, high barometer, and low humidity.

"Snowfall warning" for last night. Predicted 15 - 20 cm. Woke early to about 30 cm or more, with all my paths to barns etc drifted in..... again..... Was this a surprise you didn't warn me about Doninalaska ?? Will have to get the tractor out later when the sun gets around a bit more. Very bright out, but no power in the sunshine yet.

Have lots of work to do in my "meals in a jar" recipe note book. Good day for things like that.
Yep, I warned you it was coming. It is getting above freezing here in the day most days, so we may be in better shape than you, Tim. I was out with the tractor this afternoon trying to scrape some of the ice before it freezes again tonight. We are getting some deep puddles, though, and the snow depth is diminishing. Soon it will be mud, and then into wildfire season...groan, groan. I will have to break out the pumps and test 'em is case the worst happens.

Are you working on a book for publication? I wonder if Oliver still runs his little publishing house?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:43 AM
Master Pontificator

car hauler trailer not an issue here, not on my road anyway, road is narrow, 1 lane dirt road (they paved other end last year and doing the rest this year but still only 1 lane). my driveway is also very narrow and tricky to back anything into it (gate posts are 12 feet apart, then the culvert pipe is only 11 feet long, and there is a 3 foot drop into the ditch, one wrong move and its a tow rig needed to get a vehicle back out). driveway is also very uneven, more of a muddy dirt trail with a few low stumps in it, car haulers are made for pavement and would be hung up and badly damaged on my driveway, only a good off road truck, suv, or tractor can even go more than 20 feet into the driveway (a car can park just inside the gate but after that would have all kinds of obstructons scraping the underside and catching the axles). anyone trying to steal a tractor would have to park in the middle of the road, get past the gate (homemade and designed to be a pain in the rear to get through). then drive the tractor out to the road to load onto a trailer, which isn't easy since there is only 1 key and its with me at all times. basically its more trouble than its worth for a 60 year old tractor. atv however could be loaded on the back of a pickup which is much easier to get into the driveway. I could put stone in and make the driveway usable for less than off road vehicles, but that would also make it easier for thieves to get in. thieves are lazy, most around here are drug addicts who are just stealing something easy to trade for their next fix, having my place be so hard to get into means they have to put serious effort into it, and since they are lazy they just go down the road and steal from someplace easy. I used to have stuff stolen every couple weeks until I put that gate up and made it a complicated agrivating amount of work, and I haven't had any losses since (at least anything that was within the perimeter anyway). last fall some thieves broke into every camp on my road and 2 houses on the southern end of the road, sting of thefts, my place was the only one they ignored.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
car hauler trailer not an issue here, not on my road anyway, road is narrow, 1 lane dirt road (they paved other end last year and doing the rest this year but still only 1 lane). my driveway is also very narrow and tricky to back anything into it (gate posts are 12 feet apart, then the culvert pipe is only 11 feet long, and there is a 3 foot drop into the ditch, one wrong move and its a tow rig needed to get a vehicle back out). driveway is also very uneven, more of a muddy dirt trail with a few low stumps in it, car haulers are made for pavement and would be hung up and badly damaged on my driveway, only a good off road truck, suv, or tractor can even go more than 20 feet into the driveway (a car can park just inside the gate but after that would have all kinds of obstructons scraping the underside and catching the axles). anyone trying to steal a tractor would have to park in the middle of the road, get past the gate (homemade and designed to be a pain in the rear to get through). then drive the tractor out to the road to load onto a trailer, which isn't easy since there is only 1 key and its with me at all times. basically its more trouble than its worth for a 60 year old tractor. atv however could be loaded on the back of a pickup which is much easier to get into the driveway. I could put stone in and make the driveway usable for less than off road vehicles, but that would also make it easier for thieves to get in. thieves are lazy, most around here are drug addicts who are just stealing something easy to trade for their next fix, having my place be so hard to get into means they have to put serious effort into it, and since they are lazy they just go down the road and steal from someplace easy. I used to have stuff stolen every couple weeks until I put that gate up and made it a complicated agrivating amount of work, and I haven't had any losses since (at least anything that was within the perimeter anyway). last fall some thieves broke into every camp on my road and 2 houses on the southern end of the road, sting of thefts, my place was the only one they ignored.
Sounds like your equipment is safe.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:41 AM

Spring. I always thought it was officially spring when I could pull the tank heaters.

Now that I have no livestock, I'm thinking spring is officially here when the stupid heated seats quits automatically coming on in my Jeep. I wouldn't mind it so much if it didn't always start at high.

Got the boat out a couple times this week and managed to catch a few fish yesterday. This weekend will see it back to cold windy and maybe a bit of snow. Odd part is this time around farther south on the Nebraska Kansas border they should see more snow then we have. I believe they are in a winter storm watch now.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 PM

I was wrong......
When I waded out to get the tractor yesterday, there was all of 40cm new snow on the flat. Like said all my pathways, lanes etc were drifted worse. Now today so far bright, sunny, calm. But still cold at -5C. Predicted this way all through next week with the week after being much nicer. Hope so as weekend after nest is the big library spring book sale. An event where we take no prisoners.

Will have to take the tractor out again to check the driveway at the district road to make sure they haven't created a mess there. Want to get out early Sunday as made reservations for an Easter brunch at the big hotel convention center. Early next week will be after holiday shopping discounts.

Yes.. Time of year for the ebb and flow of weather as it changes. Soon will start rain, wind, and all that warms up the US "tornado alley" Then the Gulf storm season. Our weather will ebb and flow with Pacific rain and such which evolves into the Alberta version of "tornado alley" As nasty a cycle as anywhere else. It is a surprise to many that this far inland we have a significant strip of essentially Pacific coast arboreal (right word?) rain forest. Much the same as along the inside passage along the British Columbia, Alaska coast. Interesting place. Such is nature.

The dog is a walking Zombie, all frazzled with lack of sleep and worry as KarenBC has the living room stuffed with trays of seed starts under lights. This illuminates Winston C. DeHounddog dog bed like a tropical island. He is not a happy camper with this upset.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:33 PM

Will this winter ever end? Below zero again and another inch of snow. Don't have the wood stoves set up as I thought the winter was over. Everything's froze solid.
Roads icy, can't go anywhere, can't do anything, iv never been so weary of winter.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
Will this winter ever end? .
No, no, I don't believe it will.

The National weather service has predicted no frost at all any longer so I got all excited, but the LOCAL weather service has predicted hard freezes for an entire week, and since I had to break the ice so the chickens could drink I think the local weatherman is correct.