BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Master Pontificator

Default April 2018

45 degrees, extremely windy with 30mph gusts

I took too many trees down, I should have cut down the huge pine next to the barn before I took out all the others, the wind caused the top half to snap and come down right on top of the barn, going to be cleaning up that mess all day today and rushing some repairs.

yesterday I cut a lot of cedar logs to size (mostly 8 foot, 10 foot and 12 foot but a few 6 foot as well) these are mill size, the smaller ones I stacked and had roughly 120 fence posts. reorganized some firewood racks now that the cedar is out of the way and filled roughly 5 cords in the racks so far (mostly the left overs from this season).
Old 04-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I bet you wish it was warmer!

DS is here and he agreed to take care of the chickens this morning, and it will be nice to NOT do outside work this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the down side the guy has been sleeping all day and up all night, which he sometimes does, so I do not think I will see much of him today.

At any rate Happy Easter and Happy April Foo's day and now I am off to church!
Old 04-01-2018, 04:24 PM

23 F. this morning. It is supposed to get up to 40 F. today! We are getting significant snow melt, and the paths are very slippery. Under the chicken house is flooded, and the driveway with bare spots is very muddy. Lots of snowcover yet, but it is going. The forecasters are predicting more snow for the end of the week, but they are usually wrong; I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Neighbors are reporting black bears in the area, but I have not seen any signs on our property. We have chickens and such, but no birdfeeders. Bears usually don't cause us problems, but they get thick a little farther down the creek in Summer.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 PM

23 this morning Don? Dang it was 25 here. 34 for a high, which is our normal low for this time of year. But I'm not complaining, a 45 minute drive south of my house they got 6" to 7" of snow, while we got late afternoon sunshine.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:52 AM

You are such lucky ducks.......
Our high temp today was a whopping -10C About 12F..... Ouch..
Was bright and sunny with a north wind. Week after this coming is supposed to be much nicer.

Easter brunch was nice. A couple times a year is enough. KarenBC got a visit from the Easter Turtle... It must have been that as there was a big box of Turtle candies on the kitchen table this morning... I don't know a thing about that. Honest.......

Picked up a few grocery specials at Walmart. Our favorite thrift store was open today. Otherwise not much else going on here in Pot Hole City.

We have been busy with our time. A big load of eggs dried in the dehydrators. Got a couple boneless hams to slice, cube and dry. Both projects have worked well. Vacuum seal the ham nuggets in a canning jar. Grind the dry eggs to a fine powder and vacuum seal in pint and half pint jars. Both work well in baking and all sorts of things.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
23 this morning Don? Dang it was 25 here. 34 for a high, which is our normal low for this time of year. But I'm not complaining, a 45 minute drive south of my house they got 6" to 7" of snow, while we got late afternoon sunshine.
Yeah, this is not unusual for here at this time of year. Long days and bright sun bring the temps up in the morning too. We are supposed to get more snow in a couple days--Wednesday, I think--but it probably won't amount to much. April is our muddy month, May is a good time, June is when the fire season starts and peaks at the beginning of July. People come here in August, thinking it will be the warmest part of the year, like it is in much of the lower 48, but August here is often miserably cool and wet. The best time to visit Alaska is late May to mid-June, as that is most often our warmest, sunniest time of year.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:06 PM
Master Pontificator

45 degrees and sunny,

yesterday I reorganized the firewood stacks by the end of the driveway, I filled them by hand moving 5 cords. then this morning I carried 200 cedar posts out to the roadside by hand (250 foot walk each way). I have a furnature maker interested in buying all the seasoned posts on Saturday, still have another 120 to carry out. then I spent the day carrying and adding another 3 cords to the firewood racks. so now I have 8 cords dry split poplar, 2 cords pine, and 300 cedar posts at the end of the driveway, plus about 40 millable cedar logs. fixed my bike around 330 and went for a 3 mile ride. got home and a customer showed up for some pine firewood (if he had not there would have been 3 and a half cords of pine by the driveway. he paid for pine in October but has taken his sweet time coming to get it, despite that I got tired of waiting and sold all the pine to someone else I will still give him the quantity he paid for whenever he shows up for some. taking a break now since I am getting a little sore.

also I mentioned yesterday morning a tree fell on my barn, that was an april fools thing, the tree is still standing.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Wink

Well, April Fools on me!

Today I had big plans but I have little to show for it. Oh, well, if nothing else tomorrow should be warmer, at least until the next storm blows through tomorrow night!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Just a light dusting of snow here today. Looks like to the north they got a couple inches. Suppose to be down in the teens tonight, way below normal.

Thursday my buddy and I are headed about 2 1/2 hours northwest to check out a small lake. It's been over 20 years since we've been there and thought we should go up to scout it out ahead of time for a possible camping/fishing trip later this spring. While we're there we thought we'd bring the ultralight rods and fly rods so we could take a shot at some trout in the creek that flows into the lake.

There's a trout farm not too far away where they raise all the trout they stock in various lakes around the state. They usually throw a few trout into the creek so we figure we might as well see if we can do any good while we're there.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:49 PM

The wind is howling and the holes for the new fruit trees are being dug a little at a time. Because, yeah.....

The dog and both cats are sleeping in the living room next to me. Small amounts of outside time are enough right now!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Master Pontificator

was about 45 degrees, partly sunny then cloudy.

killed a sick chicken first thing in the morning, it was in the cabin in a cage for weeks, had vent gleet and congestion, coughing. tried a molasses flush, cider vinegar and garlic, and kept it well fed and warm, but it didn't improve and its congestion actually got worse to the point it as breathing through its mouth all the time and wheezing. I chopped its head off at first light having given up on it.

after that I cut some more cedar and stacked to sell, have about 350 along driveway now. then I set up another firewood rack in the area I am reorganizing and filled it with 2 face cords of left over wood. I have 5 of those 2 cord racks set up now holding 10 face cords split dry wood under a shared tarp. I will be setting up pallet racks to share a wall with these so I can stack a total of 20 face cords, however I only have another 3 left from what didn't sell, the 7 after that will be green and split and stacked to sell this coming fall. took until after dark to finish but I kept on at it till it was done, carrying 1 arm load at a time over the muddy path of the driveway.

kinda tired now
Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Default spring time

lost my job. lost my drivers licence. warm weather on its way. days are getting longer. snows melting. this winter was first time for 8 years i had a wood stove for heat i should have kept it set up and cut more wood but soon now, will not need it, the propane tank is still half full & this summer ill be able to have a real garden.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Master Pontificator

what happened to the license? was it relate to loosing your job?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:20 PM

11 degrees this morning, smashed the old record for this date of 18. Not a record I like seeing broken. I noticed my rhubarb popping up thought the old leaves yesterday, I'm guessing they didn't like the cold last night.

Checked the 511 road cameras for the area we planned to go to tomorrow and it's covered in snow up there. I'm sure some will be melted by tomorrow, but I don't see any reason to get in a hurry to go up there, so we'll hold off a week or so.

In fact our local weatherman says two storms coming, one Friday one Sunday. Computer models say between the two storms 4" to 7" of snow for us. Looks like I'll have to put the blade back on my pickup, and might even have to split a little more wood for the stove.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 PM

iv never felt so free sinse i first GOT my drivers licence
Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
11 degrees this morning, smashed the old record for this date of 18. Not a record I like seeing broken. I noticed my rhubarb popping up thought the old leaves yesterday, I'm guessing they didn't like the cold last night.

Checked the 511 road cameras for the area we planned to go to tomorrow and it's covered in snow up there. I'm sure some will be melted by tomorrow, but I don't see any reason to get in a hurry to go up there, so we'll hold off a week or so.

In fact our local weatherman says two storms coming, one Friday one Sunday. Computer models say between the two storms 4" to 7" of snow for us. Looks like I'll have to put the blade back on my pickup, and might even have to split a little more wood for the stove.
We got down to 11 F. yesterday, but last night was only down to 15 F. We are supposed to get a dusting of snow today, but nothing major. On the other side of the mountains, however, they are predicting 1-2 FEET of snow today. Most of the moisture will be filtered out by the time it gets over here. Up north, 65 mph wind gusts are predicted. Aah...transition time--called "breakup" here as the rivers are starting to show signs of thaw.
It got up to 38 F. here yesterday and was bright and sunny, but it is not supposed to be that warm here today.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:44 AM
Master Pontificator

40 degrees out, but there is 65mph wind

rained last night, and when it finally stopped the wind picked up. been hearing trees crashing down all day, went out and counted at least 4 big ones that came down before dark, just heard another come down. checked the news and the power is out over much of the county, state has all kinds of emergency services on alert.

expected to be sunny tomorrow, so I have that for when I do all the post storm cleanup. I used to call these moneystorms back when I had a truck, always lay people willing to pay someone else to clean up down trees in their yard. will take at least a day to clean up my own mess.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 PM

got my licence back "online". called the company. they have not returned message.

went and got my old potbelly loaded up in jeep & took it to new camp.
lookin at a propane tank for cookin & water heatin this summer.

weather warmin & the platt & yellowstone both floodin
Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 PM

Well tonight is the county planning board meeting. Seems an absentee landowner next door wants to build 4 chicken houses that will hold 170,000 chickens, with a turn over every 6 weeks. So I guess that would be about 1.2 million chickens a year.

There are actually 2 housing subdivisions within a 1/2 mile of the ground so hopefully there are enough houses in the area they will go with other sites. There are actually 6 different sites on tonight's agenda wanting to do the same thing. Costco is building a chicken processing plant about 12 miles from here, and if I heard right they need around 400 chicken houses in the 6 county area to supply chickens. I believe my county has 30 applications for building houses, the one next door will be the first one they hear about tonight and the first they've heard about so far. Looks like they will have lots of meetings in the future with a lot of ticked off people.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny but a little windy still, around 40 degrees, not as windy as yesterday

was out sawing all day, cleaned up the down trees then used all my saw gas sawing up piles of bolts into firewood. no idea when i'll get more saw gas but I got enough firewood to stack I should be busy at it for a week. found one of my bantams has gone broody again, since they all use the same nest box i'll be moving her into the cabin to a broody bin like last year so the others don't keep adding eggs to the nest. I been leaving the eggs to build up a few days, seems they only go broody if there is a full nest, none go broody with only a couple eggs.