BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post

We have been busy with our time. A big load of eggs dried in the dehydrators. Got a couple boneless hams to slice, cube and dry. Both projects have worked well. Vacuum seal the ham nuggets in a canning jar. Grind the dry eggs to a fine powder and vacuum seal in pint and half pint jars. Both work well in baking and all sorts of things.
That's a good idea with the eggs. Beside baking, what other "all sorts of things" do you do with it?

Same question about the cubed dried ham - do you use these mostly in soups or?

How long is the dried ham good for?

8" of snow hit on Tuesday. Of course, my snow blower broke down (worm gear) at the end of the prior snow. Thought I would be safe and wait for it to warm up instead of fixing it right away .... well, we all know how that works.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
8" of snow hit on Tuesday. Of course, my snow blower broke down (worm gear) at the end of the prior snow. Thought I would be safe and wait for it to warm up instead of fixing it right away .... well, we all know how that works.
Kind of in the same boat. I was having problems with a tractor time going down, turned out it was the valve stem. So I thought no problem I'll pull the valve stem, and put in a new one. Well you can't do this with this stem, and it's designed to so you can take off the end which makes it easier to add or remove fluids, which many big tractor tires have to help with traction.

Now I'd had the fluid removed many years ago, but corrosion has pretty well ruined the valve stem. So that means I need someone to come out and pull the tube out of the tire and replace the whole thing, and I was hoping to wait for warmer weather. Well, we're getting snow this morning and suppose to have more on Sunday. Hope is it's not too much and the blade on the pickup will be able to handle it.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:05 PM

I hab a cold in by nobse.

Also the weather tonight is going from 68 to 18 degrees. So I covered the plants that are up with armfuls of leaves.

The strawberries will have to take their chances as that is all of the energy I have.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Well tonight is the county planning board meeting. Seems an absentee landowner next door wants to build 4 chicken houses that will hold 170,000 chickens, with a turn over every 6 weeks. So I guess that would be about 1.2 million chickens a year.

There are actually 2 housing subdivisions within a 1/2 mile of the ground so hopefully there are enough houses in the area they will go with other sites. There are actually 6 different sites on tonight's agenda wanting to do the same thing. Costco is building a chicken processing plant about 12 miles from here, and if I heard right they need around 400 chicken houses in the 6 county area to supply chickens. I believe my county has 30 applications for building houses, the one next door will be the first one they hear about tonight and the first they've heard about so far. Looks like they will have lots of meetings in the future with a lot of ticked off people.
I thought the development around here was bad, but at least it is only housing and road construction. I cannot imagine what life would be like next to commercial chicken place.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:00 PM

The planning board passed it, but then as long as it is legal they about have to. Now on the 24th it's the county commissioner meeting where they have the final say. They are the ones that will be more concerned with roads or how many people live nearby.

My county has very few regulations when it comes to rural homes and ag, one of the main reason so many are trying to get in here. One place wanted to build 12 houses. That would be over 3 million birds raised each year. The place next to use would be 1.2 million each year.

The place last night was packed. They moved the meeting to the court room since it was the biggest room in the court house. That filled the hallway outside of it was full, and back down on the 1st floor where I was that hallway was filled. Probably 100 people got in where they could hear everything that was said, 300 or more of us couldn't get in and had no idea what was going on.

I was told one of the guys actually said if front of everyone, if you folks don't like it move. I hope that is repeated quite often in front of the county commissioners.

Some people are already complaining about open meeting laws not being enforced, but I can't see that one going very far.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:57 PM
Master Pontificator

35 degrees, cloudy then snow in afternoon

was supposed to see a doctor this morning but my friend who owes me a lot of money, ad who offered me a car last month to pay it off, has taken his time signing it over, been over a month waiting and he gives me excuses delaying. I only made the appointment because I thought I would have the car by now. he said he would give me a ride to town so I wouldn't have to ride my bike, but then he decided to sleep late and didn't show up till after the appointment, had to call and reschedule for middle of next month. none of my friends are very reliable.

worked stacking wood most of the day, my dog kept barking, yelping and wimpering, shaking while standing, he pees on the porch (on the blankets he was laying on) rather than walk off the porch. been getting much worse. for the last week he wouldn't even eat canned food, and his mobility is much worse. couldn't take seeing him suffering and finally put him down. he lost 30% of his body weight over the last 5 months. carried him to the southern part of the property where I have no immediate plans to do work, put him down and again he stood in place shaking and wimpering, his back legs too stiff to sit on his own anymore. shot him through the back of the head and killed him instantly. ground too froze to dig (tried digging in orchard yesterday when I ran out of saw gas), weather not good for burning branch piles so couldn't bury him or cremate him. I left him in the woods for nature to have him. should have put him down months ago but I kept putting it off since I didn't want to loose him, but he was clearly suffering and there was nothing else to be done.

been bummed out surfing the internet all afternoon since weather stinks right now

on the bright side one of my bantams is broody again (one of the 2 good mama hens from last year), setting on a clutch of 16 eggs in a broody bin in the cabin.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:13 AM

Sorry to hear about the dog - end of life decisions are never easy but I think you made the right choice.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
35 degrees, cloudy then snow in afternoon

was supposed to see a doctor this morning but my friend who owes me a lot of money, ad who offered me a car last month to pay it off, has taken his time signing it over, been over a month waiting and he gives me excuses delaying. I only made the appointment because I thought I would have the car by now. he said he would give me a ride to town so I wouldn't have to ride my bike, but then he decided to sleep late and didn't show up till after the appointment, had to call and reschedule for middle of next month. none of my friends are very reliable.

worked stacking wood most of the day, my dog kept barking, yelping and wimpering, shaking while standing, he pees on the porch (on the blankets he was laying on) rather than walk off the porch. been getting much worse. for the last week he wouldn't even eat canned food, and his mobility is much worse. couldn't take seeing him suffering and finally put him down. he lost 30% of his body weight over the last 5 months. carried him to the southern part of the property where I have no immediate plans to do work, put him down and again he stood in place shaking and wimpering, his back legs too stiff to sit on his own anymore. shot him through the back of the head and killed him instantly. ground too froze to dig (tried digging in orchard yesterday when I ran out of saw gas), weather not good for burning branch piles so couldn't bury him or cremate him. I left him in the woods for nature to have him. should have put him down months ago but I kept putting it off since I didn't want to loose him, but he was clearly suffering and there was nothing else to be done.

been bummed out surfing the internet all afternoon since weather stinks right now

on the bright side one of my bantams is broody again (one of the 2 good mama hens from last year), setting on a clutch of 16 eggs in a broody bin in the cabin.
Sad you had to put your friend down, but sometimes it is the best thing to do. Time will make the loss easier, and perhaps you can find another to be a companion when you are ready.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:35 PM

Had a little snow on Friday, and Saturday morning another record low, 13 this time. Didn't hear how long it had been since it was that cold, but I did hear the record low we broke one day last week was from 1899.

Today we are suppose to see a little more snow, then turning to rain in the afternoon.

On the bright side, starting Wednesday it looks like a sting of 60s and 70s.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:40 PM

It got up to 46 F. yesterday, and was around 24 F. this morning. It is predicted to be about that warm today and to perhaps not get below freezing tonight. If that happens, it would be a milestone, but I will believe it when it happens. If it doesn't get below freezing, it will accelerate the melting, and start some minor flooding. When we had livestock, I would break out the pumps to allow up and the animals to have dry areas, but now that we no longer have livestock, the small pumps remain idle. If wildfire season starts soon, I will breakout and test the large pumps in preparation of fire defense should it be needed.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:09 PM

More ice and snow. Winds bring sub zero temps. Can't get anything done. Watched bunch of news online today. Missed a lot of events I don't miss.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:09 PM

It snowed a little again this morning , but I don't think anything stuck to the ground. It snows every once in a while in April in eastern Nebraska. But normal would have someone planting corn now. It's the 9th of April, and I believe it has snowed 4 out of 9 days. Come on global warming.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 PM

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday.........

Busy, interesting day. Cancer Society had a fishing, outdoor equipment swap, sale. Not bad, not great. Big spring antique show, sale at Roll-a-Dome. Again not bad, not great. KarenBC found a couple things she fancied.

Brought home a ton of books from a perpetual book sale, exchange. Library annual book sale is next weekend. We will "take no prisoners" at that big event. KarenBC is perpetually number 1 in Canada, and number 10 or higher in the world of posting and distributing books with Book Crossing registry.

At our biggest, best thrift store we found a 4.5 quart Kitchen Aid stand mixer for about 1/5th the price new. Obviously new, never been used. When she gets busy, especially baking, she will use the extra mixer as not to have to stop and wash mixer in between steps while making things.

Local weather saying last night is the first night since last fall that it did not freeze overnight. I believe that. However, weather comes from the airport where no one lives. Airport is in river valley next to Pot Hole City. It always freezes overnight up here in the bush. City is gearing up for flooding and other river ice problems that always happen.

Right now it is bright overcast with liquid drizzle dripping off roof. You can see the small round rain splashes in puddles. I guess it will all melt.... Someday...
Old 04-09-2018, 09:41 PM

We have two KitchenAids , too, but as a rule we just use one and change out bowls and beaters. Normally our way is cheaper but if you got a screamin' deal you have accomplished the same thing. The reason we only use one is that two of them take up too much room on the counter. Marked warmup here. We still have a good bit of snow on the ground, but it is going fast. I was out with the tractor this afternoon scraping and trying to cut channels to allow the water to exit the driveway and road. It is getting a little rough for my wife to get out our road with her car, and she doesn't like to take the truck to work.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 PM

I am still feeling puny from my cold, but since my son dug me 2 holes when he was here last week I got my 2 new trees planted.

The soil is lovely and crumbly right now: it is a shame that it will frost next weekend because otherwise I would be out planting.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 PM

Made it to the mid 60s today and looks like 70s the next three days. Then the bottom falls out again. Tonight they said maybe 2 or 3 inches of snow over the weekend, and possible severe weather for someone. Not sure if I should grab the snow shovel or head for the cellar.

Yesterday the weatherman said the first 9 days of April where the coldest ever recorded for that time period.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:23 AM

Temps above average now, and the barn is flooded. I had the pump out today to get some of the water out, but it just keeps pouring in. The building is in a low spot, and I didn't realize it when I built it. It is only a problem during snow melt when the ground is frozen. We have very good drainage here when it isn't frozen, so when the ground thaws, all this water will be gone overnight. It is a bit of a pain until then, but such is life. I worked on the road yesterday and the wife worked on it today as she worried she might not be able to get through with her car. The truck doesn't have any trouble as the clearance is high, but she really hates driving the truck. We still have a good bit of snow, but it is going fast now, and some areas are getting rain showers tonight. If that hits here, the real flooding will begin as many of the creeks and rivers are still well frozen.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Master Pontificator

40s and sunny or partly cloudy

rode my bike up to the store yesterday, then lit up a branch pile, cleaned up all the branches in a 100 foot radius, also piled any firewood I found in the area. then I burned a second pile and cleaned up a slightly larger area. unfortunately I lost my beard in the evening, tripped and got a face full of flames, when they flashed over my face I instinctively closed my eyes and stopped breathing, but the flames singed off my beard and eyebrows, my head hair was under my hat so only what was not covered was singed off. also got what amounts to a sunburn on my face where I didn't have hair to take the fire first. only lasted maybe a second before I got out but still lost my beard, my heavy gloves protected my hands from the fire.

day before yesterday I was also burning more branch piles and got 5 done as well as branches over an acre area, and a whole lot of firewood stacked.

because of the light burn my face is sensitive to heat so I won't be burning more for at least a week. though I don't have much else to do, most of the firewood is stacked, the ground too muddy to skid or pull a wagon around, and out of saw gas so I can't do construction or cut more wood (my hand saw is dull and I can't find a place that sells files to sharpen it, most people just throw them out and buy new ones these days, usually just use the chainsaw instead).
Old 04-11-2018, 01:49 PM

Glad you got out of the fire without serious injury. I reckon you will have to be more careful when working alone.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:06 PM
Master Pontificator

actually this is the third time that I lost my beard while burning branches, i'm usually careful but considering I do hard physical work almost every day from sun up to sun down, 3 or 4 accidents a year is still minor