BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

It is flat out perfect today, and by noon I had my Dr. apt and had dinner in the skillet, waiting to be cooked. So I decided to work on my homestead for the rest of the day or until I ran out of steam, whatever came first.

Well it s 3:00 and I am out of steam.

I started on a new raised bed, and I hope to be able to plant it with peas next week. I am only going to try to fill it with 2 inches of soil to start with, plant it, and then set it aside until later. The raised bed is on woven weed barrier, and since weeds send their roots down if soil is left on top of the weed barrier I am pretty sure that peas can also.

I also made a short row of peas elsewhere in the garden, but we like to eat a lot of peas and so I hope the raised bed works. It is a space hog for what you get.

I also planted 100 onion plants, and that is about all of the steam that I have! I am soft after the winter!

We are expecting another frost this weekend, but today and tomorrow are incredible.

We will have chicken taco's for dinner tonight.

Last edited by Terri; 04-11-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:22 AM

more snow & ice on way. they say blizzard for SD, kansas & neb. but i figure cheyenne & lusk area here too. black hills will be snowed in again.

i ordered the steve mcqueen film 'tom horn' today. never seen it.

an accoiation recently came up with a late 1800s area legal documents case with the name of the defence attorny that represented him at his trial. address cheyenne wyo.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 PM

My county is in a winter storm warning, while the county to the west is in a blizzard warning, all starting tomorrow. Currently the county to the east is in a severe thunderstorm warning with the possibility of tornadoes.

I have everything buttoned up waiting till it's over. If I can't move it, I'll just wait till it melts. They are only calling for 2 to 4" of snow here, but 50 to 60 MPH winds will be making some big drifts even with that small amount of snow.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
However weather comes from the airport where no one lives.
lol... I cannot count the times I've heard my husband say "no one lives at the airport". However this was said during hot spells in the summer, not the winter.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Master Pontificator

noreaster, had a mild cold snap just below freezing, high wind and a bit of snow, expected to last 3 days.

was out sawing heavily since my last update, then today went to work at a friends chainsaw shop all morning. when he was giving me a ride home we stopped at his brothers place since his brother was selling a truck. the two of them are some of the very few people I know who take good care of stuff, truck was in good shape (1993 chevy chianne 1500 2wheel with 200,000 miles), I had one just like it back when I was in college, asking price was fair so I bought it. my other friend who has been procrastinating for a month and a half on a deal for a car took too long and I just cancelled the car deal since I bought this truck. so sometime this week I will need to renew my license and get al the paperwork squared away.

so finally have some decent news, and this truck is actually old enough that I can do some repairs on as needed (unlike the newer junk that takes all kinds of fancy tools to do anything on).
Old 04-14-2018, 07:50 PM

Great news, Setanta! Glad you finally have wheels. You could even deliver your firewood now instead of waiting to have it picked up. We are into rapid melt mode here, but it appears the ground is thawing in some areas so the water is not so bad. The mud is still terrible. I tried to take the tractor over to the other side of the property but the snow is still too deep over there. I did get over to my "old hay shed" (where we used to store hay for livestock when we had it) and picked u a couple tables for hardening off plants. I will be hardening cole crops, lettuce, and onions soon. I also did some work on benches for my new small greenhouse, so we will be able to get plants out there soon. Our big plant sale is about a month away now, so it is time to start the cucumbers and squash.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Chilly and dreary today. It is tax season, DS has been snarly, EVERYTHING has needed extra effort today as everything has had glitches, and the USA has bombed Syria. I hope it does not end up like Iraq. My nephew is in the military and also wars are paid for by you and me.

In the vernacular of my generation, I am bummed out.

I bought fried chicken for dinner on the way home today, as I feel more like throwing things than cooking. Not every day is a good one, and I felt that way even BEFORE that truck blocked the exit for 5 minutes.

Setanta, well done with the truck!
Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 PM

Winter is back, at least for a day or two. It started with some drizzle that was sticking to my north windows. I was hoping it would change over to snow so the ice build up wouldn't be too bad. With winds gusting over 40 mph I could see the power going out again. It changed over to snow an hour or so ago so that's good news. I can see the power lines still jumping around with what ice they do have on them, but shouldn't get any more ice so maybe we'll make it.

They are still just calling for a couple inches of snow, but with the high winds it's coming down sideways, so I'm sure we'll have a few drifts around.

Good news was in the mail today. I applied for membership in a local fishing group and was accepted. Membership gives a person fishing rights on a private lake, probably 50 acres in size, and plenty of camping spots if a person wants to camp for a weekend, or leave a camper in place for the summer. Cost was $625 first year, then $275 a year after that. The lake has very good fishing, and since I do most of my fishing during the week I'll rarely run into anyone on the lake. Even weekends might only find 3 or 4 boats on the lake. One part I liked about this lake is it gives me a place where the grand kids can fish. Usually it would be a weekend for them to fish, but weekends the state lakes are usually packed. Now I'll have a place where the kids can bring the grand kids out and I can teach them to fish without fighting the crowds.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Chilly and dreary today. It is tax season, DS has been snarly, EVERYTHING has needed extra effort today as everything has had glitches, and the USA has bombed Syria. I hope it does not end up like Iraq. My nephew is in the military and also wars are paid for by you and me.

In the vernacular of my generation, I am bummed out.

I bought fried chicken for dinner on the way home today, as I feel more like throwing things than cooking. Not every day is a good one, and I felt that way even BEFORE that truck blocked the exit for 5 minutes.

Setanta, well done with the truck!
Sorry your day was so bad, Terri. Hopefully things are getting better.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:47 PM

Very bright sunny today. Temp is only 1C, so not that pleasant.
A lot of packed snow on the drive and yard yet. A lot of this pack is undermined and hollow under it. Ground is still froze, only about 1cm mud in the few spots that are bare. Snow banks are shrinking, but quite slowly. Big barn and lean too roof still has snow on it as it has slid to the ground but is banked up there to where it can't move any more until something melts. Province extended the winter tire, studded tire rule for this month of April as packed snow and ice on roads required it this year. Both big and little rivers through Pot Hole City are bank full, but not "raging".... yet.... Welcome to the bush.

Busy weekend. Library book sale Friday was only about half what it usually is. We still scored about 300 or more books for KarenBC book distribution. Harvested a bunch of rabbits yesterday. KarenBC wants to process and can these today. Monday we will have another batch to harvest. We got off a bit on timing litters, so don't usually have stock to harvest at this time. Will do better later. KarenBC has every window sill and a big table in living room full of wee plants in little pots. Still over a meter of snow on ground between house and green house to melt yet. Sand Hill cranes and Canadian geese are starting to come back.

Winston C. DeHounddog has been a pain in the neck lately. Going out at all hours and barking his head off. I've been watching close and there is a critter of some sort in the timber between the donkey paddock and road. I can't get a look to see what it is, but know it is around and it is being quite elusive in where it goes and so far not leaving tracks I can get to and identify. What ever it is it is something Winston will only bark at and not attempt to pursue. Will have to stay vigilant.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:50 PM

Default blowing in the wind

Weather has been up and down from the 30's to high 70's. It manages to rain 2 days of the week.

We went to Savannah for a week of spring break as our granddaughter was off school.

The used tin tee pee we picked up needed more work that we were told and what I had noticed.
First night in a water line blew at 525 am. The previous owners had replaced some lines and this one while glued was not pried prior to gluing.

Found the cement and primer and fixed it up the rest of the week went well.

Burned some old limbs and other derbies that had fallen from the old bug infested trees.

Sold a few muzzle loader pistols, ammo, lead buck shot and other doo dads.

Still waiting on the Lyman great plains flintlock barrels to be returned to me due to the safety recall.

Installed a tranny after cooler in the 2010 Silverado. So far it has kept the tranny temp below 200 degrees while towing. Actually saw 189' as a top temp in city traffic.

Tranny use to run 100 deg above ambient. Now it is double ambient while moving. If it is 70' out she'll run at 130-140. The fans do not kick in until after 210 degrees. I sure would like to turn one on while running at lower speeds & stopped in traffic.

Prior to the install the temps ran 220 plus. I'm happy she's a good 60' lower on the open road.

Not much else going on.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 PM

Well not a ton of snow, maybe 2" or so. Wind blowing hard enough left me with a 15" to 18" drift in front of my barn. One quick swipe with the pickup and blade took care of it. Now temps are a different story.

High today was 31. Weatherman said the record low high, yes he said the record low high temp for the day was 37. So we broke a record low high temp from 1875. Figure we shouldn't have any problem breaking the record low overnight. Not sure how far back that one will go.

Oh yeah, it's suppose to snow again next Wed. Can't remember the year, but I do remember my mom telling me one year they had snow on Mother's Day. So I guess it could be worse.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:24 AM

Our weather here has been simply marvelous! It he 50s F. most days and into the 20s F. at night. There is still a good bit of show on the far side of the property--about up to the knees. The wife tried again to take the tractor over to the big greenhouse but failed and nearly got stuck. No sign of the moose feeding on the apple trees over there at least--the fence is still intact. We have ducks and swans back where there is open water. The bigger lakes are still drivable, but the ice is getting rotten and they are discouraging planes from landing on the ice due to soft spots. As Tim said. we too have plants all over the place. I have big light tables/stands in the garage, and an 18 foot lean-to greenhouse on the house all full. I was working on getting the new little greenhouse set up today, and will be moving some stuff out there shortly as it is heatable. I will be starting cucumbers and squash this week. All my transplanting into larger pots is temporarily finished and we moved the perennials that have been overwintered in the little greenhouse outside. I think most of our snow will be gone by the end of the week if it keeps up like this. There is a possibility of more snow on Thursday...but the forecasters are usually wrong.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Master Pontificator

33 degrees, rain, was freezing rain last night, also 20mph wind

stuck inside today because of bad weather, not a good day to do work. been trying to give away some extra roosters but nobody is interested, everyone that calls just asks to buy hens and tell me they don't want any roosters (a few asked looking for free hens), told all the people asking for hens to stick their phone somewhere. got tired of trying to give away the roosters, so I butchered one this morning (covered area to work in), will butcher another in a few days, not going to bother trying to give them away anymore, just going to throw them on a plate with green beans and mashed potato's.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:57 PM

Well I took 2 day off and I am feeling a bit better. There is leftover fried chicken from the grocery store in the fridge, but I think I will bake a piece of beef instead, for the sake of variety.

Last night MIGHT have been the last freeze of the season, and I will bring my seedlings outside again, and maybe get more dirt moved to my latest raised bed. I have decided to try a sweet potato vine with lettuce in a 5 gallon self-watering pot I made from a tub of kitty litter after the litter was gone: by the time the heat turns the lettuce turns bitter I can just let the sweet potato take over. I hope to get that potted up today. Though there will be a delay as the potting soil is frozen solid.

I hope that later this week I can plant some in the garden but I want to watch the weather for a bit first as I do not trust it. On the good side those elderly seeds I planted in the big cold frame have all apparently germinated, which means they are thickly planted as I assumed most of them would not germinate. Well with luck it will be warm enough soon for me to transplant some to the garden. Also since they are greens I will soon have leaves to add to my salads.

Last edited by Terri; 04-16-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:02 PM

warm weather. high winds. looking out over the great plains now it is gray insted of white. got new window for jeep delivered this morning . 36 bucks off ebay . took off the plastic & tape & installed it in about ten minutes. its the little mans 2nd anivasary today. he has a new inflated bouncy hourse to fall off of now.
started to cast some bullets for reloading but it started rainin. i need a roof and wind wall here but
i have not built a shed yet for my outside working. we are short on funds again and i dont want to spend untill im back on a paycheck. turned down one company and 5 to about 7k a month yesterday because im waiting on another company to call back. i nowe i need not worry~ they payed for my drug test so likly they wont forget me~ however that little devil tells me they wont call back & then the company thay wanted me in monday morning will laugh and say " you had your chance sucker !
Old 04-17-2018, 11:33 PM
Master Pontificator

35 degrees, snowing but it melts on the ground

got a ride to town this morning and renewed my license, then insured and registered the new truck. got a ride home then immediately loaded up several bags of recycling to take to the transfer station, then went to post office and got a money order for the IRS, and the library to print up the form to send with it (today was the last day to send it in without penalty from what I heard, I filed but had a hard time finding a way to get the $80 to the IRS, was cutting it close, but its at the post office and on the way). then ran to town for parts and paint (lots of overdue stuff),got an ax handle for an ax head I found in a junk pile.

got home and found yolk all over some eggs in the nest box (all the hens use the same nest box and fight over it and ignore the 5 other spots, they also don't lay until the afternoon). not sure if one egg was broken intentionally or accidentally, but I found 1/4 of the flock had dry yolk on their faces. rather than cull the egg eaters I just clipped their beaks so they can't break any more if they got a taste for it.

this evening I sold some more firewood and have a bigger sale pending for Thursday.

busy busy busy
Old 04-18-2018, 10:33 AM
Master Pontificator

30 degrees, windy, snowing then rain expected

loosing my email address soon, wasn't going to post on here for a few days (I try not to flood the forum), but just checked my email this morning and found a new service agreement on my yahoo mail. yahoo and aol are being combined under Verizon with a new service agreement that specifies that Verizon has permission to read emails and sell the contents to marketers, that any disputes are to be handled through forced arbitration (can't sue or take them to court for anything), and that users agree to protect the interests of Verizon before their own interests. I was appauled by what I saw in the new service agreement, I refused to agree and just clicked the optional "wait till later" and postponed agreeing to the new terms. I will do that exclusively until they try to force clicking agree by not allowing postponing, then I will cancel my email account since I won't agree to such nonsense.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:00 AM

April 18th and the ground is white again this morning when I get up. Well not totally white, mainly grassy areas, but enough you can say it's snowing yet again. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. A few more days in the 40s and 50s, then starting Sunday all I've seen is 60s, 70s, and even an odd 80.

I'm thinking spring this year is not going to last very long.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
30 degrees, windy, snowing then rain expected

loosing my email address soon, wasn't going to post on here for a few days (I try not to flood the forum), but just checked my email this morning and found a new service agreement on my yahoo mail. yahoo and aol are being combined under Verizon with a new service agreement that specifies that Verizon has permission to read emails and sell the contents to marketers, that any disputes are to be handled through forced arbitration (can't sue or take them to court for anything), and that users agree to protect the interests of Verizon before their own interests. I was appauled by what I saw in the new service agreement, I refused to agree and just clicked the optional "wait till later" and postponed agreeing to the new terms. I will do that exclusively until they try to force clicking agree by not allowing postponing, then I will cancel my email account since I won't agree to such nonsense.
Good for you for reading the agreement. Most folks don't and the providers count on that. It sounds like Verizon is going the way of Gmail. Google has the right to read the email and keep a copy of any attachments. I think it is foolish to agree to such a thing, but a lot of people just don't care. The best thing is to use one of the paid services, but most people, including me, don't want to pay for something we have been getting for free.