BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:36 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
April 18th and the ground is white again this morning when I get up. Well not totally white, mainly grassy areas, but enough you can say it's snowing yet again. But there is light at the end of the tunnel. A few more days in the 40s and 50s, then starting Sunday all I've seen is 60s, 70s, and even an odd 80.

I'm thinking spring this year is not going to last very long.
Welcome to my world. Our Spring isn't ever very long, as the end of snow and mud leads to warm, dry fire season. It has been in the low 50s most days with lows in the 20s, but it only got down to 34 last night as it was cloudy with a little wind. I am starting to harden off my onions and lettuce that I started inside. The gardens are still snow-covered, and I haven't made it over to the big greenhouse yet, but much of the lawn is uncovered and the snow is walkable depth except in the woods.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post

loosing my email address soon, wasn't going to post on here for a few days (I try not to flood the forum), but just checked my email this morning and found a new service agreement on my yahoo mail. yahoo and aol are being combined under Verizon with a new service agreement that specifies that Verizon has permission to read emails and sell the contents to marketers, that any disputes are to be handled through forced arbitration (can't sue or take them to court for anything), and that users agree to protect the interests of Verizon before their own interests. I was appauled by what I saw in the new service agreement, I refused to agree and just clicked the optional "wait till later" and postponed agreeing to the new terms. I will do that exclusively until they try to force clicking agree by not allowing postponing, then I will cancel my email account since I won't agree to such nonsense.
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

I have never HEARD of the like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Master Pontificator

some of the bigger tech companies have done that for years, sometimes in fine print, sometimes in secret. yahoo had a few scandles of data hacks because they were not selling out their users and other companies stole the data to sell it. yahoo was not so aggressive or corrupt, however that's also why they have gone under financially and are being bought out. verizons new policy after buying out yahoo assets seems to be acting honest about what they are going to do. unlike scandles when they denied doing this stuff and got caught, now they openly tell everyone what they will do and they openly say its so they can make a profit by doing it (how they thrived in the tech industry while yahoo went bankrupt).

I deleted my email account, as of now I have no email, which will make it a little harder for me to send articles to BWH, will have to print stuff at the library and mail it from now on.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:23 PM

I've been going through boxes from my move last year and getting rid of stuff....things I haven't touched since before the big move. What are you all up to today?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:06 PM

Well I think spring is here. Spent the morning with the anglers club I joined. Today was clean up day around the lake. They have spots for about 40 campers around the lake. They served breakfast before everyone headed out. Added new structure to the lake, cleaned up, put together new picnic tables, and split firewood. I offered to bring my log splitter so I ran that. Had 5 splitters total and went at it for 4 hours. Didn't quite get it all split and stacked. I don't think my splitter has ever run for 4 hours straight.

Tomorrow I'm going back, but this time with the boat to fish. Should be in the low 70s with a light wind.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:02 AM

beutiful sunny day. sighted in a new rifle thats been waiting all winter. went up to the lake for a few hours to watch the new calfs run and sleep in the sun.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:29 AM

Today will be a day to work on my homestead, as the rain has stopped and my son is spending a couple of days here to earn some money.

*IF* things go perfectly- and they rarely do- then I will cut some weed trees with my 8 inch battery powered chainsaw and cut the trunks into the right length and spray the stumps with weed killer. I can then set up another low raised bed, and DS can fill it with dirt. Then a package of green beans can be planted, and some small branches can be laid across that bed and the bed of peas to give them support when they germinate.

But, before I go out I will set a piece of meat out to thaw: baked meat and microwaved potatos makes a good, easy meal. I WOULD have made a salad as well but, alas, I bought a head of Romaine lettuce and Romaine lettuce has been recalled. We will be salad-less until I hit the store again. Though I suppose I could serve celery sticks: we have already eaten the other raw vegetables.

I look forward to veggies-on-demand from my own back yard.

And, it looks like a lot of my fruit trees will have fruit this year, as most of my little fruit trees did not bloom until well after the last freeze. SCORE! And, in a little time the fish in the local lakes will be coming to the edge of the lakes to feed on insects, and I can add fresh caught fish to the menu!

Springtime in the Midwest, before the biting insects and heat show up, is flat out paradise!

But first I must attend to the dishes and set meat out to thaw for inner tonight.

Bye!

Last edited by Terri; 04-23-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:54 PM

Beautiful day here today,low 70s and sunny,flowers are blooming,birds are singing and it's been a good day. I have no complaints whatsoever.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 AM

EXCITING weekend here in the bush... Sunday was the first day the temp got up to 10C (double digit high) since some time last fall. Today was 15C for a high. Wonderful as that is, we still have such a dense snow cover it will take some time yet to get rid of it, let alone a ground temp high enough to thaw ground or plant a garden.

To town Sunday to meet some friends for breakfast. Earth Day so foot races all over town and events for that occasion. Took rabbit hides and skulls to young taxidermist. She does regular taxidermy, makes Jackalope art, and does Goth wall art and jewelry. Very talented taxidermist. Goth art doesn't appeal to me. But it is her thing, and it makes money.

To town again today. Accountant appointment, library, post office, feed store, and liquor store for empty boxes. They have smaller boxes that work well for books. KarenBC can still put 10 kilo of books in a 5 kilo box.

Some kind of wild critter is about. Winston C. DeHounddog has been a total pest the last number of nights. Wants out, wants in, bark, bark. Even sat up on the couch the other night while we were watching a movie and barked. No building or livestock has been bothered yet. Will have to set up a trail cam and see what is what.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:09 AM

Glad things are finally warming for you, Tim. We have a fair amount of bare ground, but the soil is still frozen. I guess you will have to watch your dog closely. One of our friends years ago told us that the dogs bark nonstop when there are bears around, but stop and start when moose and other less threatening stuff is around. If it a bear or wolf around, your dog may go out and not come back some night. I have no experience with cougars. Folks in Anchorage were having dogs eaten while they were on the leashes in the city by the wolves. The poor yuppies freaked out when they watched their pets eaten in front of them. Not this year, though.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Master Pontificator

55 degrees, light rain, no wind

been working non stop since I last stopped by the forum, reorganized all the lest over wood I didn't sell, stacked the empty pallets, cleaned up, dug a new outhouse hole and moved the outhouse. today was a great day to burn branches so I been burning piles all morning, got 5 good size piles done, did 1 last night as well. and after this lunch break will burn another.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:52 PM

Rain today. So, I will do housework and order some things I need on-line.

Tomorrow my daughter and her husband will visit for an extended weekend.

*AND*- drumroll please- yesterday I harvested the first vegetables from the homestead this summer: I harvested individual bok choi leaves from the solar greenhouse!

I WAS going to add the bok choi to a big salad but, alas, the stores had no lettuce other than Romaine. And Romaine lettuce has been recalled, which is probably why they were sold out of iceburg lettuce. All of the salad-lovers walked right past the Romaine and grabbed the iceburg! So last night we each had a small serving of bok choi instead of a big salad. The bok choi was delicious.

Next week we should also have radishes to go with the bok choi.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:07 AM

Well I guess we're finally done with winter, temps have been in the 60s and 70s most days. Have spent most of my time in the boat at the new lake. Water temps are up to the mid 50s so fishing should be getting better.

Went to the county supervisors meeting the other night, and by a 4 to 3 vote it appears I will now have 1.14 million Costco chickens for neighbors each year. 34,000 of which will die each year and they throw them in a pile to compost. That should be fun come July and August.

But I won't be the only one. There will be 4 barns by my house, they say they will need 400 barns within 50 miles of their new processing plant. So it sounds like a lot more people will be in the same situation.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:01 AM

training for new job. praise God. warm weather finally, snow and ice gone away, wont be able to put in garden for several weeks ~ if im able to put it in at all.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:13 PM

Windy today but warm. Looks like chances for severe weather over the next few days so we've moved on to that type of weather.

My son in law brought home an older camper his folks said they wouldn't use anymore so he could have. It looks to be about 16 feet long and in decent condition for 20 years old. Has a bit of a weak spot in the floor, so we may have to do a plywood overlay. It has a bathroom and all appliances are propane.

Once we get it cleaned up the plan is to take it out to the private lake where I joined. During the summer you can park a camper, but you just have to move it once a month. So from May 1st to the end of September you have to go to 5 different camp spots. There are quite a few spots where I could beach my boat right in front of the camping spot. So it looks like I might be spending a few nights camping at the lake.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:34 PM

Windy, but still quite nice the last week plus. Driveway and all other places I moved snow are bare ground. Dry on top, but still frozen a short way down. Garden, pasture still have a meter of snow on the ground. Bare ground in the bush depending where the sun can get through the trees. MIL has reported some flooding and erosion in areas where the forest fire went through that area. Will likely be that way for several years.

I got a good start on the wood shed the last few days. Moved a dividing wall inside. Gained about 7/8 chord of space by eliminating an isle that was not needed. Got a good size pile of rounds split and stacked making about half a chord start on the remodeled space.

A place we can get free firewood logs is about thawed out enough to access again. Not the "town person" quality desirable wood, but good enough if you have equipment to handle it. Did I mention FREE ??

Sam the donkey has some trails between snow banks where he can get around to a big share of his paddock. Know he is enjoying new places to stand to soak up sunshine.

KarenBC let the one bunch of geese out of the barn. They also are enjoying being out. However the big ravens make a 2 - 3 times a day overflight to check things out. The other pair of young geese are still nesting. They have pulled a mountain of feathers to line the nest. Hope that works out well. We have 3 baby bunnies from the one remaining doe rabbit. Two of the other does died this winter. They were quite older.

KarenBC is also quite proud of our motley collection of $1.25 each chickens. Three of the four banty/silky are laying. Both last years red hen adult chicks are laying. And mother red hen has started to lay again. Fortunately one of the two chicks she hatched during the coldest part of winter has survived.

Have watched the snow and ice on our lake turn from white, light brown, dark brown, now black on top. I suspect there is some open water in the upper swamp area where there are springs. Cranes (Sand Hill ??), Canadian geese, small ducks are going over the house like a busy airport.

Winston C. DeHounddog spends most of his outdoor time on the carpet of pine needles under the big tree by the house soaking up solar power. Keep up the good work big guy.

Still about a meter of snow between the raised beds in the entire garden. KarenBC has a jungle of seedlings in window sills and no place to move them to.

Snow bank in front of the smoke house is gone. Pork loins are on sale, so I suspect it is a good time to start making homemade bacon again. Will need that as barter to get young guys to sweep chimneys and other jobs.

Senior center garage sale, and spring "Loot in the Boot" parking lot garage sale are coming up soon. Make sure all the room in the car in available to attend those events.

No reports from the neighborhood of emerging predators, or problems with things like that, so far this spring.
Otherwise, life is great here in the bush.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Windy, but still quite nice the last week plus. Driveway and all other places I moved snow are bare ground. Dry on top, but still frozen a short way down. Garden, pasture still have a meter of snow on the ground. Bare ground in the bush depending where the sun can get through the trees. MIL has reported some flooding and erosion in areas where the forest fire went through that area. Will likely be that way for several years.

I got a good start on the wood shed the last few days. Moved a dividing wall inside. Gained about 7/8 chord of space by eliminating an isle that was not needed. Got a good size pile of rounds split and stacked making about half a chord start on the remodeled space.

A place we can get free firewood logs is about thawed out enough to access again. Not the "town person" quality desirable wood, but good enough if you have equipment to handle it. Did I mention FREE ??

Sam the donkey has some trails between snow banks where he can get around to a big share of his paddock. Know he is enjoying new places to stand to soak up sunshine.

KarenBC let the one bunch of geese out of the barn. They also are enjoying being out. However the big ravens make a 2 - 3 times a day overflight to check things out. The other pair of young geese are still nesting. They have pulled a mountain of feathers to line the nest. Hope that works out well. We have 3 baby bunnies from the one remaining doe rabbit. Two of the other does died this winter. They were quite older.

KarenBC is also quite proud of our motley collection of $1.25 each chickens. Three of the four banty/silky are laying. Both last years red hen adult chicks are laying. And mother red hen has started to lay again. Fortunately one of the two chicks she hatched during the coldest part of winter has survived.

Have watched the snow and ice on our lake turn from white, light brown, dark brown, now black on top. I suspect there is some open water in the upper swamp area where there are springs. Cranes (Sand Hill ??), Canadian geese, small ducks are going over the house like a busy airport.

Winston C. DeHounddog spends most of his outdoor time on the carpet of pine needles under the big tree by the house soaking up solar power. Keep up the good work big guy.

Still about a meter of snow between the raised beds in the entire garden. KarenBC has a jungle of seedlings in window sills and no place to move them to.

Snow bank in front of the smoke house is gone. Pork loins are on sale, so I suspect it is a good time to start making homemade bacon again. Will need that as barter to get young guys to sweep chimneys and other jobs.

Senior center garage sale, and spring "Loot in the Boot" parking lot garage sale are coming up soon. Make sure all the room in the car in available to attend those events.

No reports from the neighborhood of emerging predators, or problems with things like that, so far this spring.
Otherwise, life is great here in the bush.
Glad that everything is going well, Tim. You have more snow than we do, although we still have some. We had snow showers yesterday, but no new accumulation. I, too, have plants everywhere. I put my onion starts and lettuce in the one of the greenhouses, but it is still getting cold and I don't want to risk everything. I will soon get some heat in the little greenhouse I threw together last fall. The big greenhouse is heated with wood, and I am getting too old to keep that up for long. If I get the big guy stocked with plants, then get a late frost or something, the woodstove will get fired up.

We lost a lot of waterfowl to both eagles and ravens here (when we raised them), and the ravens will pick off the young wild ducks here through the spring. Eagles take even the adults whenever they can. As I said before, we have reports of bears in the area, but I have seen no sign of any yet.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Some of my peas and potatos are up, and the onions are starting to green nicely!

It snowed just 2 weeks ago, but I am mowing the lawn today because it is 8 inches tall in many spots. The Midwest DOES raise good grass, whether it is in a lawn or in a field of grain.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:53 PM
Master Pontificator

heavy rain all day, and most of yesterday as well

my neighbor was back in the area this weekend (lives down state, planning to move to the lot next door). he helped get my tractor fixed, so right now both tractors are working. his daughter is moving up sooner as she got a job as manager of the local tractor supply. so I been hired to help put in fencing for goats and other work to make the place livable, was also helping plant trees they bought (lots of digging, they helped with my tractor so I helped with their work). looking forward to actually having neighbors who aren't drunks or drug dealing miscreants.

ran a load of scrap metal out to the junkyard this morning, picked up $75 for that. was going to work on building a larger shed today but too much rain. though the yard is less flooded than it might have been since the first thing I did when the tractor was fixed was use the plow to dig a ditch to drain the yard ahead of the rain expected this week.

since the new policies of yahoo are insane I deleted my email account. spent the day looking into non privacy invading email providers and search engines other than google and yahoo, about the only thing to do when so much rain is coming down.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:31 PM

As April comes to a close, it is cloudy and windy here with daytime temps in the 40s. It was supposed to be a sunny pleasant day today in a string of cloudy, rainy days, but as usual, they missed it again. I am hardening off many of my bedding plants, so they will be ready for sale nest month. Broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers and squash are our biggest sellers usually, but it is very hard to predict what will sell from year-to-year. I think we will sell whatever is left as a church benefit for the aid-to-the-poor that runs form our church. We still may not sell it all, but someone will benefit from our "overages".