BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:56 AM
Master Pontificator

Default May 2018

sunny, about 60 degrees

took a truckload of trash out to the transfer station, only had about 100 LB of trash accumulate since the last trash run (sometime in October), most of the weight was in bar oil jugs from all the work I did over winter.

not sure what I will be doing today, might put points on cedar posts, might start work on a new shed/workshop
Old 05-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Happy May Day! Cloudy and rainy here, temp around 45 F. Nothing much happening. Today was supposed to be snow, but it is rain, thank God.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:49 AM

With spring has come the start of severe weather season. Tornadoes here and there last night with some areas getting big hail. Fortunately here just some heavy rain. We needed the rain so happy it was just that and not the other stuff.

Working on my son in laws camper to take to the lake for the summer. Floor is in bad shape, sagging quite a bit, and just a piece of OSB on top isn't going to get the job done. Looking underneath it appears there is just no bracing what so ever. The frame is a piece of channel on both sides, so we're looking at adding some bracing underneath hoping to push the sagging floor back up a bit, then add the OSB.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
With spring has come the start of severe weather season. Tornadoes here and there last night with some areas getting big hail. Fortunately here just some heavy rain. We needed the rain so happy it was just that and not the other stuff.

Working on my son in laws camper to take to the lake for the summer. Floor is in bad shape, sagging quite a bit, and just a piece of OSB on top isn't going to get the job done. Looking underneath it appears there is just no bracing what so ever. The frame is a piece of channel on both sides, so we're looking at adding some bracing underneath hoping to push the sagging floor back up a bit, then add the OSB.
Or add plywood instead of OSB. It is a little heavier but is a lot stronger in a horizontal posture. Marine grade is even better if you can afford it.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:49 PM

Plywood would be easier then doing a lot of bracing. I tried 7/16 OSB. I'm thinking 5/8 is as thick as we can go, any thicker and you wouldn't be able to open the cabinet doors, so not sure if even plywood would work. We have some 2x6 on hand so we might try that first before buying a sheet of plywood.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:58 PM

Rain,rain,rain here.

I went back to work a week ago from my gallbladder surgery. The recovery time was not nearly as bad or as long as I was told to expect,so I'm happy about that.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:51 PM

My new chainsaw chain for my battery powered chainsaw arrived: I installed it and tested it by cutting up a large part of part of the old sofa that is sitting on my back deck. I ran out of steam before I had it ALL apart, but that is OK. I do not wish to try to fit ALL of the sofa into the garbage can at one time: that would be a bit obvious to the garage company what I have done. It would also make the garbage can heavy.

The sofa was put on the deck when I bought a new one, and I was having trouble coordinating the help of my husband and son and the large item pickup service with the garbage company, but I have taken care of that. I just have to chop the sofa up finely and fit it into the big can for the garbage company to take away.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Master Pontificator

could have saved time and put it at the roadside with a for sale sign. nobody would stop to buy it but it would disappear the first night. with a free sign nobody would take it but a for sale sign makes people think its worth stealing. works every time, I put stuff out with free signs and stuff sits for weeks, I switch out the free sign for a for sale sign and its gone when I turn my back.

could also give away to college students if you have a college in your area, yard couches are popular in towns (they leave an old couch in the yard, sit on it while drinking, then when they leave for the summer the couch gets dumped in a dumpster somewhere).
Old 05-04-2018, 12:46 PM

LOL! But, nobody steals worn out sofas here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or good ones, for that matter.

Springtime before the biting bugs come out is just like heaven, isn't it? This morning I got 2 eggs and I will probably get more eggs tonight, and I also harvested a scant mixing bowl of salad greens from the big cold frame. The birds are singing and the trees are blooming, and I sent away for lemon grass in the hopes of catching a swarm of bees. Bees {LIKE} lemon grass, so I want them to notice the conveniently empty hive that will be sitting next to mine.

My husband has not yet noticed what I did to the sofa. I think that I will not mention it until he does.

Last edited by Terri; 05-04-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Master Pontificator

55 degrees and rain

as raining last 2 days too. mostly been inside or running around seeing friends. my cat had kittens yesterday, she decided to have them in the middle of the floor under the bed, they got scattered and 2 became hypothermic, managed to save 1 by putting under my shirt to warm it up, the other didn't make it. she had a total of 7 so far (she was a round cat, almost as wide as she was long), 3 died already (one died 3 hours ago, had to take it away from her when she was eating it), new ones appear every few hours.

besides that another cat had kittens a few days ago, so right no there are 9 kittens around my place. one of the broody hens should be hatching out her eggs in the next few days, then 5 days later another clutch is expected to hatch, then 7 after than I expect the 3rd broody's clutch to hatch.

been on and off the internet all day, putting stuff up for sale and cleaning up the yard. planning to have some amish come over Monday to help move some big logs onto wagon so they can mill them, will be done with ramps and winches, broke the loader last year trying to lift one of these logs. the 4 logs going on Monday will make a combined 260 2x4s or equivelant (will cost about $240 for milling service).

started milling smaller logs on my little mill, built the floor for a 15 by 24 workshop, waiting till the big logs are done before I continue working.

if it wasn't so wet out I would probably have plowed the 2 acre garden (since all the logs were skid out of the way)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:30 PM

Dang. That is springtime with a vengeance!

Puttered around a bit with the chainsaw, watched gardening youtubes later this afternoon, and then I went to the church yard sale and bought 2 chairs that pretty much match what I have in the kitchen. I had been wanting more chairs because a couple of the old ones were broken after many years of teenaged use. I do love the table, and you have to look 3 times before you notice the new chairs do not QUITE match the old!

I subscribed to the Dixondale onion farms youtubes, because they explain in detail all things onion, and I have a lot of onions planted this year that I would like to see grow big enough for me to try out root cellaring. I have a book that gives the temp and humidity requirements of vegetables, but big vegetables store better than little ones. So I want my onions to be big.

All in all, a pretty successful day!

Last edited by Terri; 05-04-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:49 PM

Windy and the mid-40s. Wife got home last night after helping a daughter recover from cervical spine surgery in Washington state. One of my old greenhouse beds/tables partially collapsed during the winter. It has garlic coming up in it, so we had to dig out the garlic and move it to another bed. When things get a little warmer we will remove the soil and rebuild or replace the bed. No leaves out yet, but the buds are starting to swell.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 AM

Nicer today. Last few days overcast, windy, light drizzle. Just enough to drip off roof and make ground damp. Must be the dregs of the weather Doninalaska had with the rain he mentioned. MIL says they continue to have local flooding. River through Pot Hole City is bank full, and dark brown color. No reports of problems yet but the season is far from over. City has green grass, tulips, and dandelions. Not so here in the bush. Just a little green along the sides of the pavement because it is warmer I suspect.

Our lake has open water now. Loons, cranes, ducks, geese and all are back flying over in squadrons and raising a racket. Our lake, most road ditches, beaver pond down the road from us, moose swamp across the road from the grass airport are all full of water right up to the edge of the pavement. Not thawed enough somewhere to drain like normal.

Sammy the donkey is digging around in his paddock. Making places where he can roll and start to scrub off his winter fur I suspect. We have brushed him some but his winter fur seems pretty stuck yet.

KarenBC motley crew of chickens are going gang busters of late. We will be drying eggs in the dehydrator this weekend. You go girls, and Tommy the rooster.

Still busy filling the wood shed, burning off branches and other clean up in the big fire pit. Going to have to start barn cleaning as soon as I can get to the pasture to spread the cleanings out.

Several stores are putting up there green houses. Local nursery has lights on and people working before day light and after sun down. Our little green house still has hip deep snow banks on two sides.

The two senior centers, Cancer Society (?) and some other group have garage sales scheduled. As well as the spring "Loot in the Boot" parking lot garage sale coming up soon. Local community hall Mothers Day breakfast is always a good feed. Chance to catch up on all the area news.

Had our first cook out tonight. Hot dogs and a big pot of tea over the open fire. Winston C. DeHounddog was mooching chunks of hot dog bun. Even when it had mustard on it. Life is good here in the bush.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:08 PM

Oh, wow.

Just, wow.

Boring background stuff: I always wanted to farm and so we bought 5 acres of bare land and I always figured on developing it with sweat equity. Alas, that was when my illness showed its ugly head and I have never been able to use the land properly because there is no city water, and I will no longer be able to carry water from the creek. Among other things my ankles are messed up and my back is so-so. I looked at hand pumps but they were all to heavy for me to use, let alone install.

But, look at this:
a hand water pump that weighs just 15 pounds. https://preppersmarket.com/collectio...50-or-100-feet

City water: $8000 which is why we never got it piped in.
Electric pump: the battery is too heavy for me to handle. and cost is high for our budget.
Pitcher pump: heavy handle, elaborate stand, might need priming, and would cost $1,500 for the equipment + stand. And, I would have to have someone set it up for me because the work would be beyond what I can now do.

But, this 15 pound manual pump : $250. And, it looks easier to use.

I can *DO* that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, while I no longer have the energy to run a one-man farm, it would be just wonderful to use some of the land in the way that it was intended to be used! And surely my household could use a bit more food. I have the garden for fresh stuff, I can raise that here, but there is a limit to the number of fruit trees I can fit in my yard.

So, this summer I will be exploring the possibility of putting in a pump.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Master Pontificator

good luck with the well options, that was the perennial thorn in my farming for years but I lucked out and finally had a proper well put in and it was artesian. that hand pump looks interesting but since its a prepper type ad I would guess its one of those gimmick things that looks good but will break with any significant use (lots of preppers tend to buy stuff for the ide of prepping but never actually use it).

sunny out here, ran around all morning picking up stuff, got my 3rd chainsaw back from the repair shop, so all 3 saws are here in working order (and with that 65 mph wind I had a few trees volunteer yesterday for the mill).

after all that I hooked up the plow and started plowing my 2 acre garden, but then the blade broke off (potato plow from tractor supply, blade held with 2 bolts that broke). tried to jerryrig with other bolts but that lasted only about 100 feet. so I had to run back to town just in time to get the bolts I needed before the local hardware store closed for the weekend (otherwise its a much longer trip to a bigger town). got home and fixed the plow but then the tractor wouldn't start because the alternator doesn't work and the battery was too low, so had to pull out the generator and a charger to charge it a bit. finally after an hour charging I got it going and I plowed up most of the 2 acre area. got a few spots on hold (low and wet and hoping to buy a load or 2 of top soil to fill those spots in, other spots have chicken coop in the way that I have to move). started on another spot and pulled up a huge 3 foot by 2 foot by 1 foot rock, it flipped up out of the ground easily but got wedged between the plow and the tow ball on the back of the tractor, it twisted the plow to the side and the top part of the 3 pt hitch (the part attached to the spring behind the seat) broke from the twisting.

so many set backs, but the other tractor has a compatable part and doesn't get used since there is a huge counterweight on the back for the loader, so I will be swapping them out. spent the evening picking up rocks and chopping out roots with a Pulaski. some rocks were too big to move so in the morning after swapping that part i'll be making a stone boat to drag (tractor with loader won't start, I think the ignition switch is bad otherwise I would use loader). then I gotta drag out the drag harrows and level the 2 acres out. once that's done I got another field to start in, and got to reinforce the fence to keep deer out (they don't like all the electric wires mixed in with the 6 foot high barbed wire fence, a few spots are not electric yet). I hope to start planting Monday afternoon (Monday morning I got some amish coming over to help load 1100 board feet worth of logs onto the wagon to haul to the mill).

so glad i'm not bored anymore
Old 05-06-2018, 02:05 AM

Bored. No, I do not think that sounds boring at all, though I bet the second time something broke you were ready to start throwing things!
Old 05-06-2018, 06:45 AM

Setanta, it sounds as though your season is seriously getting underway now. It is still too wet to till, but our snow is gone. Perhaps things will dry out here later this week. I, too, have a lot of trees to come down or have already "volunteered" as you say, but I just cut to firewood.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Master Pontificator

would have been too wet here, but a week ago I ripped up the ground with a potato plow then used a spade to dig out a ditch, 2 feet wide, up to 2 feet deep, and 230 feet long with a steady grade so all the water flowed down it, and built a culvert out of old pvc and rocks. drained out the wet areas.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:11 AM

Been dodging a few severe thunderstorms lately, but still getting a little rain which is needed. Mowed the lawn for the first time this year. Everyone around me was mowing theirs so it was more of a peer pressure thing then it actually needed mowing.

Picked some asparagus from my patch yesterday, first of the year. Rhubarb is almost big enough to pick off a few stalks. Need to toss out my old rhubarb from the freezer that didn't get used and replace it with new stuff.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:19 PM

DH finally noticed that I was cutting up the sofa on the back deck: alas, he was only MILDLY surprised. We have been married for 4 decades: I guess he knows me by now, LOL!

HAlf of my potatos are up, as are most of my peas. The greens in the cold frame are yielding well, and I would like to spend the next week finishing the bed to plant string beans in and cutting all of the weed trees in my back yard , with the exception of those growing in the blackberry bed. I would like to get those as well, but, first things first.

The chickens laying has slowed down, as the first spring flush has ended. We are still getting more than we can eat, though. This morning I ate 2 eggs but I gathered 3. That is typical. Every now and then I cook up the oldest eggs and give them to the hens to eat.