BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Been dodging a few severe thunderstorms lately, but still getting a little rain which is needed. Mowed the lawn for the first time this year. Everyone around me was mowing theirs so it was more of a peer pressure thing then it actually needed mowing.

Picked some asparagus from my patch yesterday, first of the year. Rhubarb is almost big enough to pick off a few stalks. Need to toss out my old rhubarb from the freezer that didn't get used and replace it with new stuff.
You could make rhubarb syrup or wine from it instead of tossing it.....
Old 05-06-2018, 03:25 PM

Rhubarb syrup sounds interesting, have to look into how to make that.

Only have a couple bags to toss, and they will be two years old this year. I have three rhubarb plants, and even with giving a bunch away, I still can't come close to keeping up with them.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:50 PM

Default RHUBARB BBQ SAUCE.....

Good use for last years frozen fruit....

1 cup rhubarb... cut 1/2" or less
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Table spoons cider vinegar
2 Table spoons catsup
2-4 drops pepper sauce (Tabasco)
1 1/2 tea spoons wet yellow mustard

Bring all to simmer for 5 minutes.
Run through food processor until smooth
Jar, seal, water bath.

In order to get enough to can to keep in the cold room we bulk this recipe up about 10 times.

I swear when we made this last year the smell brought the young neighbor guy over, and 3/4 of the first batch went home with him. That is OK as he is good help when needed. Also he is a pretty good BBQ cook.

ZZZZ
Finely got started on my barn cleaning. Enough of the upper pasture and hay fields are firm enough to get around to spread barn cleanings. Lots of snow yet in the shady spots.

Some bushes are starting to bud kidney bean size buds. Trees, not yet. No green grass up hill from town yet.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Talking save oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
sunny, about 60 degrees

took a truckload of trash out to the transfer station, only had about 100 LB of trash accumulate since the last trash run (sometime in October), most of the weight was in bar oil jugs from all the work I did over winter.

not sure what I will be doing today, might put points on cedar posts, might start work on a new shed/workshop
Are you as thrifty as I am? I take my old oil jugs and drain them into another one. Saving that last drop of oil to use on other stuff. I've been doing this since high school when I worked in the gas service stations.
I had a 5 gallon container that the oil cans would drain into giving me oil for my car when needed.
I have a 2 oz bottle on my gun bench that has bar oil in it to use on muzzle loader locks.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Good use for last years frozen fruit....

1 cup rhubarb... cut 1/2" or less
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Table spoons cider vinegar
2 Table spoons catsup
2-4 drops pepper sauce (Tabasco)
1 1/2 tea spoons wet yellow mustard

Bring all to simmer for 5 minutes.
Run through food processor until smooth
Jar, seal, water bath.
Have a recipe similar, amounts differ some, but uses cranberries instead of rhubarb.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
You could make rhubarb syrup or wine from it instead of tossing it.....
You can keep my share of rhubarb Period----nasty stuff.

Good May to everyone----I have gone from 5 layers and freezing temps to shorts and a tee in 2 weeks.
its been a learning experience and I enjoyed the winter---BUT my brain craves outside---and sunshine and weather doesnt rip the hide off of your face.

Haven't seen some of you in a long time.
Whats up---and new erath shaking news?

I know many remember Bama Suzy---she lost her hubby a few years back--She just remarried this weekend----
I see 12V--DavidOH ---Stella---and a few others.

Its been in the 80's the last couple of days.
Got this hateful old yard cleaned out--years of neglect---
Now for the sewer---its a nightmare--just used K77 on it and if that doesnt work i have to hire a plumber with a camera to come find what the problem is----its a very old system in rocky soil---SD is known for their rocks lol.

Last edited by Txanne; 05-06-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Have a recipe similar, amounts differ some, but uses cranberries instead of rhubarb.
XXXXXX

SHARE.... If nothing else send recipe in a PM...
We get and have cranberries up to your eye balls.
For what ever reason they are cheap here.
Thanks
Old 05-06-2018, 08:13 PM

1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
1 small sweet onion chopped
1/4 cup ketchup

Combine everything except ketchup in saucepan cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes, cool slightly. Transfer to blender, add ketchup and process until smooth.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You can keep my share of rhubarb Period----nasty stuff.
Now Annie, are you trying to tell us you're tart enough on your own you don't need any help from the rhubarb.

Quote:
Good May to everyone----I have gone from 5 layers and freezing temps to shorts and a tee in 2 weeks.
Nothing like scooping snow one week, and getting a sun burn the next.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Master Pontificator

sunny, 55 degree out, but will be warmer as the day heats up.

lost a buff orpington hen last night, found it dead on the floor of the coop, was weak for 2 months and finally dropped. also checked on the litter of kittens on the porch (the cats love the doghouse on the porch, though the dog never had an interest in it), one of the kittens was dead, so out of 2 litters amounting to 13 kittens I have 8 left (all born within the last 9 days).

despite losses the chickens have increased, the first broody bantam this year has hatched out a clutch of chicks, don't know how many yet, they are still hatching, will have to transfer them all to a larger bin this evening. considered chicken tractors but these bantam chicks are so small they could only be kept in with hardware cloth until they get a month or 2 old. despite all I red about them, none of the buffs show signs of broodiness, a number of the bantams are the same age as the buffs and are going broody. buffs were probably selectively bred for production at the hatchery and not broodiness which was the whole point I got buffs in the first place, started out with 25 a year ago, down to 14 of them, so if they don't go broody I will run out in 2 years at this rate.

dug out my earthway garden seeder this morning and found the belt broke. was sorting seeds yesterday and was going to start planting today, gotta do it by hand unless I run out and buy a belt, though I am expecting some amish to come over sometime today to load logs on a wagon to take to their mill, can't run out for a belt until that's done.

another busy day
Old 05-07-2018, 01:20 PM

I have decided to write a book.

When I was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, I was taking care of 2 small kids and my elderly MIL. I also had just bought land that I intended to turn into a berry farm (this did not happen). I had a lot to get done but my legs kept quitting on me: I did not have TIME to be sick! My husband helped where he could but he was away at work all day long.

I looked for info on how to juggle things and get them done while being sick but there was no info out there other than "alternate periods of activity with periods of rest". There is a little info out there now, but, it isn't enough for the busy, newly diagnosed person. So I have decided to write a book, because over the last 14 years I am getting pretty good at all of this stuff about getting things done when you have a chronic illness.

So far today I have completed page one, chapter one: this is going to take a long time! Especially as this is a rough draft.... a year, perhaps?

That is all.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 PM
Master Pontificator

another busy day

sunny and in the 60s

made some modifications to my bike this morning, have some cargo bins on this one now. then an amish neighbor came by to help load some huge logs onto my wagon to take to his mill (different extended family from the one I had disputes with, this guys father is the head of the local church and the one who straightened the dispute out). on trade for helping with loading I gave him a ride to the far side of the county to drop off stuff at a huge consignment auction that's coming up Saturday (menonite auctioneers, its their huge annual farm auction, big event that draws huge crowds). after learning about the auction consignment rules I ran home and started gathering up all the clutter and misc stuff I had to get rid of and hauled it over in 3 loads. if I only get half of what that stuffs worth I should still clear a grand easy. got another load to haul out in the morning.

also the buff orpingtons seem to be psycic, I was just thinking about getting rid of them in favor of coop space for expanding the bantams since so many are broody, then one of the buffs decided to go broody. got 5 broody hens right now and a 6th with a bunch of chicks hanging out under her.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Well as feared we did go from winter to summer. Been mid to upper 80s, which is way above normal. Spent 3 or 4 days on the lake fishing and have the sunburn to show for it.

Got the floor braced up for the camper and picked up some 1/2 plywood to put over the floor for a little more support. Ordered a new roof vent cover so when that gets here I should be about ready to take the camper to the lake for the summer. It will be nice to have a spot to get off the lake for an hour or so to take a break when out fishing.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 PM

The weather is a little bit odd this year. That is some good ( none of the fruit trees bloomed until the frosts were done) and some bad ( it is very dry).

And,
Deep South Homestead on youtube is saying that they are swinging between the 50's and the 90's, which is normal for Kansas but not at all normal for May in the South.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:46 PM

I'v been busy since going back to work,it feels good to be my normal self again after beign sick for months.

The flowers are blooming and the bids are singing,it's a good day here in MI.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny, and in the 70s

the first of the hatches is done, 10 out of 11 eggs resulted in chicks, later today i'm going to pick up 9 more chicks that hatched yesterday from someone ran an incubator for me in exchange for a supply of buff orpington hatching eggs, 9 out of the bantam eggs I sent along became chicks. they will be fostered with either the hen with chicks already or with hatch 2 which is expected to hatch tomorrow.

besides that I got the lumber from the amish today, cost $175 for milling service, got 92 2x4s and 90 1 inch boards between 10 inches and 14 inches wide, all were 8 foot long.

yesterday I harrowed the garden again then planted everything, and I also hauled 5 cords of wood out of the pasture and stacked for fall sales.

have enough lumber, roofing and nails to finish the 15x24 workshop (floor, walls, siding, rafters, and metal roofing). will have enough left over to modify the old toolshed as a 3rd coop. then frame up an 8x8 building and 6x8 building. I don't have enough siding for the 8x8 and 6x8 but I can mill that myself. going to put the 6x8 up for sale, building and selling it will cover the costs for all the other buildings I am working on this spring.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Rebuilt the broken greenhouse table/bed yesterday, but haven't refilled it yet. We picked up 10 straight-run chicks from a friend. Not sure of variety/breed, but I assume they are barnyard crosses. We haven't had chicks around since I fell, so we had to clean out the brooder, and reclaim the feeder and waterer. It is windy and fairly warm--around 60 F., but the soil is still too wet to work. Trying to harden off the cole crops, but they are getting battered badly by the wind.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Thunderstorms came through overnight and gave us some much needed rain. Was planning on an early morning run to the lake, but with the storms just leaving the area the winds are gusting over 30 mph, so I don't think a boat on the lake is the place to be. Have to help my daughter haul a horse home after lunch, so maybe there's still a shot to go this evening, weather permitting.

Picked another bunch of asparagus last night. I've been getting a surprising amount of asparagus out of my small bed considering I haven't taken very good care of it.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:26 PM

Raining here today off and on. Nothing new or exciting going on.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:32 PM

Rainy and windy here, too, with temps in the 50s. Not much green here yet, but the trees are starting to awaken a little.