BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:53 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny and in the upper 60s.

dragged a lot of stuff to an auction house for Saturday/tomorrow, but the weather forcast called for rain and that would make for smaller crowds and less money in sales, so I harrowed the garden and planted it since it needs rain to start, and of course the forcast changed and it will be sunny and dry for a week (luck of the Irish, I once dug a shallow well then we had 8 weeks without rain and it was the worst drought this area saw in 100 years).

clutch number 2 has started to hatch, hopefully I will get more healthy chickens out of it.

went out at first light and made some more windows on the chicken coops since the garden is planted and they are not allowed to forage (will eat all the seeds), found metal grates and hard plastic sheeting in junk piles so could make raccoon proof windows.

after that I hauled up and stacked 2 cords of wood

then from 1130 to 7 I worked on my workshop, framed all the walls, put up the center support pillar and the ridgepole and almost all the rafters. got 10 hours into it so far, and its better made carpentry than the work the amish did on my cabin. figure another 10 hours work till its one, 15x23 workshop. going to be a busy weekend too
Old 05-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Every night we get 2-3 drops of rain and then that is it, and it isn't enough. I think that my area is going to have a very dry spring. It looks like some of my tiny carrots have died even though I have tried to keep them watered: 85 degrees and sunny just sucks all of the water out of the soil!

This time of year is busy-busy-busy! I have most of the garden planted but the lawn needs mowing, and I fell behind because when I had planned on mowing we got 1/10 of an inch of rain and I kept thinking that the heavens were going to open, so I cleaned house instead. So the house is clean but the lawn is going to seed, and I am allergic to grass pollen. I will have to hit that today before it gets too hot.

I have decided to really focus on my little homestead this summer, which is rare because usually there are a great many calls on my time. But the more I do the more I see to do!
Old 05-13-2018, 01:40 AM

After close to a week of 80+ degree weather, it got cold again. Cloudy and rainy the last two days with 60s for a high yesterday and 55 for a high today.

About have the camper ready to take to the lake. Installed a new vent cover today and did some inside cleaning. The fridge is electric and propane, but I don't think I will bother with the propane since I probably won't spend more then a day or two at a time there, so ice in a cooler should work fine. Thought I'd also buy a small propane stove to use rather then the stove in the camper. The small stove would give me something at home if the power goes out for a long period of time. Plus I could put it outside and not do any cooking in the camper. Probably pick up a cheap outdoor grill at Wal Mart to leave with the camper. $75 will buy a grill that should get me by.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:55 AM
Master Pontificator

I have been really busy in the garden. I have cabbages, spinach, beets, peas, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, carrots, leeks, and potatoes planted in the garden. I have tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, melons, cukes, squash, artichokes and corn started in the hoophouse. Our last frost is usually in the first week of June so will move that stuff out around then. I did put a few plants out in Wall of waters but mice got into my wall o waters and destroyed many of them.
I have gone to a 30" raised bed system in my garden. I run 3 lines of drip tape down it. I live in an arid climate so irrigation is a must. I am really happy with how this system works for me. I cover cropped my garden with peas and oats this spring. I then tilled it in and made beds with a plow attachment for me Troy Bilt horse. Works wonderfully. My fruit trees are blooming and the 6 new fruit trees I put in this year are leafing out. I am really dissapointed in the strawberry plants I put in. Out of 100 planted about a month ago only 2 have leafed out. I have never had a failure like this.
A friend brought 2 feed bags of rasberry plants by yesterday so I have them to get in maybe tommorrow and some rubarb plants to get in also. So been really busy here. I have my 4 granchildren living with me..a set of 2 year old twins..they like to garden but I have to watch them closely or they are digging up what I just planted..Keeps me on my toes!!!
Old 05-14-2018, 03:31 AM

Default Happy Mothers Day.....

Happy Mothers Day to all you ladies, whether you are a mother or not.

High temps both Saturday and today at between 20 - 25C. Bright, sunny, slight gusty breeze from north, north west. Average about 16 and a bit from sun rise to sun set, but still there is a major snow bank in the shady part of the donkey paddock. About 100 meters long, 20 - 30 meters wide and a meter deep at most.

BUSY.... BUSY.... Weekend here in the bush.
Up reasonably early Saturday. To town to the annual gun show. Was fun to walk through. Some things caught my eye as "interesting", but nothing called out to me.... "take me home" Only spent $5 on some small parts. Was worth it to get that. A couple errands in town. Then work our way home from garage sale to garage sale. Some nice treasures there, but nothing spectacular. We did get an early invite to a garage sale to be next weekend. Parents of a neighbor that are moving to assisted living after 50 years on the same homestead. Should be interesting.

Mothers Day Breakfast at local community hall. Always a good time and good eats. Caught up on all the going on in the neighborhood. Home to work on things. Unlike Setanta I only split about 1/3 chord of wood. Got enough trees down today to make another chord if not almost two. Now the work begins.

Got the green house unloaded of the winter storage. That is the rain water barrels, and got them set up. We do need rain as it is plenty dry. MIL in last summers forest fire area is having rain and hail. Also local flooding and road issues. Big river that runs through Pot Hole City has alerts posted for some areas of town.

KarenBC and "Fred" the sourdough made bread Friday. She also planted potatoes in the garden today. Will finish up tomorrow and plant peas she says. We still have a week to go before usual last frost and two weeks to go before latest last frost dates. Rhubarb has leaves the size of a small palm.

No large predator issues so far, knock on wood. Have had something mess with mouse traps in both chicken house and wood shed. Did catch a long tail weasel in wood shed. Have chicks and small rabbits to protect in those buildings.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:57 AM
Master Pontificator

sunny, 55 degrees and expected to get up to 80 today

was a busy weekend, hauling, splitting, and staking wood, selling fence posts, selling lumber, milling lumber, driving fence posts and running wire, burning an effigy of my mother on Sunday, loading logs into the truck, would have finished the workshop had I not run out of lumber and nails, need just a little bit more.

my sawmill isn't that precise, I can do siding and crude lumber, but it doesn't look good. got a friend willing to pay 75 cents per board foot for cedar lumber. got lots of logs so I loaded 800 lbs worth into the truck (8 foot long, 8 inch diameter or bigger at small end, light enough to lift by hand). I could mill them and make crude lumber, or I can pay the amish $40 to mill these logs in which case I can make $150 selling them, figure $10 for my operating cost (cutting and transporting) an its a $100 profit for doing about an hours worth of work. so i'm running them to the mill today.

Saturday was the funniest day of my weekend, clutch 2 hatched with 8 chicks, but 1 of them got stuck behind the water dispenser (mason jar type), away from the hen too long it got cold and was still when I found it. put it on a water bath canner lid in direct sunlight so it warmed up enough to move a little and peep weakly, then I stuck it in my shirt pocket, hopped into my hot truck with the windows rolled up and drove about 5 miles to an amish farm stand for some cinnamon rolls, by the time I got back the chick was peeping a lot and trying to jump out of my pocket. put it back into the bin with the rest and moved the water so this wouldn't happen again. then I ate a cinnamon roll.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:11 PM

Just had lunch with an old friend,we got to talking about gardening and such...made me realize just how much I miss my gardens and my rabbits.

Bright and sunny here today,was 75 degrees out when I left the restaurant.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:16 AM
Master Pontificator

40 degrees, and damp,

weather was calling for nothing but sun then they changed it and yesterday was all rain, a steady all day kind. took the opportunity to go shopping for materials I can't easily make, got 250 feet of roofing metal and a pile of hinges for $250, enough to finish the rest of the roof and then do other buildings. also got a couple 50 lb boxes of nails for $20 a box (an insane deal since nails are usually $130 for a 50 lb box, the hardware store was cleaning out old boxes of odd size nails that nobody has bought in years).

on Monday I bought the few pieces of lumber I needed to finish the workshop and got it finished, except the doors anyway (needed hinges).

went out and a few things are sprouted in my garden already from the rain, the lettuce, radishes, turnips, and butternut squash are seedlings now. once the sun starts to dry stuff out i'll be out making doors for the workshop and moving all my tools inside.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:43 AM

Here in South Louisiana we are getting lot's of humid and hot weather. 90 yesterday with a heat index of 95. Whew! That's how the sugar cane likes it. Air condition technicians are backed up as the annual heat works on air conditioners really hard. I miss Tennessee and the Cumberland Plateau. Temps up there are 30 degrees cooler than here right now. Can you believe we almost had a tropical storm form in the Gulf of Mexico. IN MAY! Crazy!

"People who disrespect our flag have never received a folded one"
Old 05-16-2018, 01:22 PM

This is supposed to be the wettest time of year and yet I must irrigate my garden. With the exception of Pennsylvania all of the gardeners on-line are complaining about how dry it is. Water is not free, and the commercial growers will also be hit, so I believe that vegetable prices are going to go up.

I ALSO expect the Nation's grain harvest to be smaller than usual so grain prices will also go up, but, last I heard there was only 5 cents of corn in a box of corn flakes so I will not worry about THAT!

My new sprinklers are doing a good job for me.

My peas and beans are up, as is 3/4 of my potatos. The lettuce in the self-watering pot I made is producing well and for the first time ever is not bitter at all, and so a second self-watering pot has been made and planted to lettuce, which is now up. I got a handful of strawberries from the solar greenhouse and I served them on top of scratch angel food cake as I have too many eggs right now. I did a number on my blood sugar: it has been a long time since I made angel food and I ate too much of it. I think I will try to work up a tasty reduced sugar version, which might or might not disappoint my husband. Perhaps if I add more vanilla.....

Later! Gotta water my 2 new trees!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Still nothing in the garden outside yet, but things are looking up. The trees are starting to break dormancy, and the rhubarb is breaking the surface. I bought a landscape rake yesterday to help remove some of the rocks that appear every year in the gardens. I tried it out yesterday, and it did great on the surface, but many of the subsurface rocks stayed in place. Maybe if the soil dries out more it will do better. Days in the 50s and nights in the 30s. Repaired a beam in the big greenhouse yesterday, and fixed a rotten bed a few days ago. Only lettuce and garlic up in there in the "permanent" homes. We are growing bedding plants in the other greenhouses, and that will be getting moved outside soon. Our cole crops suffered when I was hardening them. They got too battered from the wind I guess. It has never happened before, so maybe something else is going on. Our plant sale is Memorial Day weekend, and we have decided that any leftovers will be sold at church as a fund-raiser for the ministry to the poor.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:19 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny and in the 70s

went out to pick up parts I ordered for my tractor then spent the day finishing my 15x24 workshop. all combined it cost under $500 to build and took 4 days. only tools used were a hammer, level, tape measure, square, chainsaw, ladder, screwdriver, and a marker.

got all my tools in it cluttered all over the floor, need to build shelves before I can organize them.

converting the old tool shed into a chicken coop, or might use to store highly flammable stuff away from any other buildings (gas cans, cases or bar oil, propane tanks, kerosene, etc).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0584.jpg (22.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0586.jpg (17.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-17-2018, 12:55 AM

This afternoon my son called and asked for work so he can pay a bill due on Friday, so I FLEW down to Feldman's and got water tanks. That should be all that I still needed to have water available on my out of town acreage: my garden right now is in my back yard but I sure would enjoy planting the land out of town.

I got a tank to sit in the back of the pickup and a tank to stay on the property. The water tank that will stay on the property will be filled from the tank on the back of my pickup. I had originally wanted to pump water from the creek but this sounds physically easier. DS can help me set up the 60 gallon water container that will stay on the property and then I would like to turn him loose on some weed trees.

Setanta that workshop looks solid: I bet not even a hurricane would damage it!

Last edited by Terri; 05-17-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:42 PM

I now have convenient water at my out of town property. And, while I COUD pump water out of the creek, it is easier to haul it in on the back of the pickup and use a hose to run the water downhill into a stock watering tank.

Besides, my area is shaping up to be a drought year, and in drought years that creek can go dry.

Eventually I would like a solar pump to get the water up the hill, but for right now to have a full tank on the property right next to a test planting of vegetables is FINE! And when I am hot I can stick my arms in and cool off.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Master Pontificator

Terri, have you considered a ram pump for the creek? if there is flowing water you can use that with a ram pump to move water from the creek.

sunny today and yesterday,

yesterday I planted onion sets and pumpkins, then I went for a 7 mile bike ride to get a breakfast sandwich, then when I got home I rolled out 1200 feet of electric fence wire, pounded posts, and set insulators (plus cleared any debris that was in the way). ran out of pointed fence posts so I had to spend the evening putting points on more (current issue of self reliance has pictures of my posts and my post driving mallet).

this morning I was going to start the next 1200 feet section of fence which was expected to go a lot faster, the area yesterday was mostly through the woods in a 5 foot wide path I cut and cleared on the property lines, todays work was going to be all along the tree line south of the logged area so I only had to drive down the tree line with the tractor, standing on the back of the wagon to slam post in place, but the mallet has begun to split, elm mallets can take a lot of use, but after a few hundred cedar posts pounded its finally starting to break, need to either make a new one or reinforce this one for the last 40 or 50 posts. I wrapped the mallet in old bailing twine then sprayed an adhesive on it to glue it down. should take a few hours at least until I can use it, but this should work for the last posts. the steers have been eating everything in the current pasture as soon as it comes up and the pasture is not enough anymore, the new fence encloses 2/3 of my lot as a pasture for them, so will be roughly 17 acres pasture (current area is only around 5 and a half acres)

one thing is for sure, my back is really sore, as is my arms and legs, non stop work for almost a month now, 14 hours a day.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:01 PM

Good luck, Sentanta. It sounds like you have been leading a hard life with 14 hour days of hard labor. I am too old to do that stuff anymore.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:13 PM

Looks like I'm buying a new laptop. My tower seems to have a problem. It did a windows update while I was gone this morning. When I got home the screen was black and the only thing I could see was the arrow from the mouse. Tried turning off and on didn't help. Finally I mirrored to my TV and could see the start screen. I could enter my 4 digit security code and the desktop came up on the TV and computer. Problem is I can't do anything. Have an old laptop to get on line, but it's pretty old and slow.

I did mange to open the task master and it's doing something, so I decided to let it go and see what happens, if anything. Maybe it can be fixed, not sure. I would like to get a few pictures and videos I hadn't backed up to my external hard drive.

Went to Wal Mart and saw a laptop I liked for $559. My daughter said look on line, and Wal Mart's web site shows it marked down to $449. It shows my store has 2 so I printed that off to take with me tomorrow.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:42 AM

Don't have to buy a laptop after all. A friend sent an e mail covering my problem. Most solutions I didn't understand, but there was one about having two monitors and an update. I have my computer plugged into my TV with an HDMI cable so I can mirror to the TV. I unplugged the HDMI cable and the computer works again. So I saved $450. Guess I'm going to have to send my friend a Subway gift card.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:09 PM

Yes, I have considered a RAM pump. But after a thunderstorm the creek rises so high it would sweep away anything in the water.

Last night my body informed me that I had been pushing it too hard, and so today I will only putter around the house. On the GOOD side we got a half inch of rain, and so the ground will be nice and soft tomorrow.

Tomorrow is another day: I think that I will plant a few things, and that will pretty much be the end of the planting season. In a couple of weeks time the heat will set in. And when the heat sets in any seedlings had better have their roots at least 2 inches deep or I cannot keep them watered: the heat sucks the moisture out of the ground. Yes, even with mulch, though mulch does help a little bit as long as it does not bury the seedling.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Master Pontificator

55 degrees, rain

up very early and went out running around, picked up a 3 point hitch cutoff saw for $200 (big circular saw run off the pto for cutting up small logs and slab wood). then while on the way to a friends to have him help cash a check I stopped at a few trash piles (spring cleanup, the municipality lets residents put anything on the curb and its picked up at no cost, since they implemented that annual program instances of open dumping, dumping in the woods, and burning garbage have almost vanished), most piles were junk, but then I found a gold mine of antique and vintage tools in near perfect condition, including a scythe made in the 30s with the tags still on it. looks like someone died and the grandkids didn't want to bother with the stuff he had so tossed it all to the curb. my guess is I picked up $600 to $1000 worth of stuff (that scythe as is alone would go for $100 at an antique auction).

cashed the check and ran to town for groceries since it started heavy rain after noon.

besides that I fixed the 3 pt hitch on my tractor, also dealt with some bluejays that have anhialated the corn patch (they took at least 30% of the seed and seedlings), I shot a few but the rest learned to flee when they saw me, and stayed out of shotgun range. today I killed a few with rat traps baited with corn. since they are corvids (like crows and ravens, the smartest type of birds) I decided to try an old, effective (but guaranteed to piss off peta and the hippy crowd) method of hanging dead ones up in the garden as a warning. corvids steer clear when they see dead members of their own species, so I made a little cross at the top of a 6 foot post and crucified the ones I killed with the traps. I put them up around the corn patch as a warning to the rest to stay out of it. it works on crows, so I am assuming it will work on jays