BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Hunter, glad you got the old tower working. Check your defaults. Sometimes MS changes them to what they want you to have instead of what you want when they do and update.

Terri, when I lived in really hot territory with sandy soil, I laid trickle irrigation tape beneath a plastic mulch and covered it with deep straw. It worked wonderfully even on the hottest, driest days. This is similar to what I used: https://www.groworganic.com/rpk-chap...8-mil-100.html

Sentanta, the PTO chop saws that guys use up here look absolutely scary--a rotating blade with no guards or protective devices at all. I hope yours at least has some guards. Good score on the antique tools. I picked up an old scythe (needs a new snath) and a broadaxe that needs a new handle a number of years ago. I used the broadaxe to work on a log-based cold cellar years ago, but I haven't gotten new handles for either one. One guy at Lehman's told me he would look for a handle for the axe for me if I could get detailed pictures of the head and the eye for him, but I never followed through.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Hunter, glad you got the old tower working. Check your defaults. Sometimes MS changes them to what they want you to have instead of what you want when they do and update.
From what I understand this Windows 10 update caused problems only with people that either had two monitors hooked up to their computer or were mirroring their monitor to a TV, which is what I was doing. Luckily I solved the problem on my own, because if I would have taken it to someone to repair as soon as they plugged it in it would have worked fine. If I would have shut down the computer before unplugging all the cords I'd of never known it would be ok as soon as the HDMI cord was unplugged.

Well guess I now own the camper I've been working on to take to the lake. My son in laws folks gave it to him, it's a 1998 Aerolite. I was going to take care of the licensing since I was going to use it. The county said I had to have my son in law sign an application so I had to bring that back for him to fill out. When he filled it out he put my name on it. I said no it has to be your name, and he said he and my daughter talked about it and decided to give it to me for all the stuff I do for them. Plus the fact they'd probably never use it.

Since the camper will sit in one spot for 30 days at a time, I decided to get a solar panel kit. I watched a lot of youtube videos on the Harbor Freight 100 watt solar kit and everyone seemed impressed with how well it worked. Most saying it was much better then the old solar kits Harbor Freight sold in the past.

I bought a 1000 watt inverter, and thought I'd buy a second deep cell battery to go along with the one I have. I don't plan to use the furnace, air conditioner, or the fridge since I'll probably never spend more then two days at a time there. But it has a microwave that is 800 watts, and a coffee maker that is 625 watts. I thought I might be able to use them on a limited basis with my two batteries and the solar panels to charge them while I'm gone.

My thought is I might be able to just plug the camper into the inverter by using the cord you'd usually use to plug into a normal campground power source. This would activate all the plug-ins inside the camper so I could charge my laptop or phone if needed, and could run a small TV. As long as the water heater or fridge do not turn on the only real power used would be the microwave or coffee maker, or a few lights at night. I thought the 2 batteries and solar panel kit should be able to handle that.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:00 PM

It was cloudy cold and rainy all weekend. High on Sunday was mid 50s. So in light of the conditions I decided to bake a rhubarb pie.

Thought about making rhubarb ice cream, but I didn't have any cream on hand. My daughter is milking her goats, I wonder if I could just use whole goat milk.

Speaking of goat milk I have noticed one odd thing about it. When we used to get cows milk it would always separate. But I've put a quart of goats milk in the fridge and it does not separate. By the way I did drink it and can't say it tastes any different.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
It was cloudy cold and rainy all weekend. High on Sunday was mid 50s. So in light of the conditions I decided to bake a rhubarb pie.

Thought about making rhubarb ice cream, but I didn't have any cream on hand. My daughter is milking her goats, I wonder if I could just use whole goat milk.

Speaking of goat milk I have noticed one odd thing about it. When we used to get cows milk it would always separate. But I've put a quart of goats milk in the fridge and it does not separate. By the way I did drink it and can't say it tastes any different.
Hunter, we raised goats for decades. The taste depends some on the breed of goat. The milk is "homogenized" and doesn't normally separate, so to get cream, you must use a separator. We used goat milk all the time to make ice cream and it worked great. Our milk ran almost 6% butterfat, so some people when first drinking our milk thought it was a milkshake. We had Nubians.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:29 AM

My daughter has Nubians.

She hasn't really used the milk for drinking, but I had to try some once. She has made cheese a couple times to try it, but her big thing is goat milk soap. She makes all sorts of fragrances and can't keep it on the shelf.

She had been milking one nanny after she took the babies off, but over the weekend she weaned all the babies so started milking two others in the evening. She just bought a new milker and she says it makes things so much easier. She puts the milk in ice cube trays to freeze. I think she wants to have 15 gallons frozen into cubes to last a year for her soap.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:04 PM

We found Nubians had the best milk and the best personality, although they can get a little noisy. We most often had 4 goats milking, and made everything from soap to cheese, but never butter, as we did not have a separator. I would suggest she try drinking the milk fresh and cold. We drank it raw for many years, but as the children got fewer, we started pasteurizing because we found the milk kept better. Goat milk is not as stable as cows', and it varies a bit by the breed and the animal. Caprylic and Caproic Acids in goat milk is supposed to be good for joint flexibility.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:25 PM

Yesterday I learned that okra seed is only viable for 2 years. Huh. That would be why my okra seed never came up as mine was 5 years old.

So today I visited 3 different stores before I found okra seed: people out here kid of like it but most years it is just too cool for it to bear well.

But, with the drought and all, I believe that we will have enough sunny days to bring off a crop of okra. So, today I bought a package of okra and I planted all of the okra. If it bears well then I shall freeze some of I so that I can have fried okra during the winter.

There is a lady on-line who will freeze a pint of vegetables in a quart zip lock bag, and lay it flat to freeze. Then she stacks the flat bags up which takes up less room in her freezer. She DOES caution people to not stack them until the bags ARE frozen, or the vegetables will not freeze fast enough and then they will spoil.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Master Pontificator

cloudy and cool, then rain later half of the day

was out splitting and stacking wood yesterday, had some jackass stop by trying to talk me into selling fence posts at 25 cent each (tried to offer me $5 for the stack), told him he could have one but on the condition of where he had to stick it. also lost a chick due to pasting, I tried to clean it off with warm water and a q tip but it died an hour later.

today I had a problem with a mother hen constantly tipping over the water (one of those mason jar dispensers), she also keeps crapping on it. had to clean out the box several times from all the water, soon as I changed it she tried standing on top and tipped it again, I nearly bit her head off in anger after the 4th time in 20 minutes. then I went out and continued splitting wood (took the water away to let them be thirsty all day, when I gave it back in the afternoon the hen stopped doing that), after a few pieces the handle broke on my maul. then the mail came, those 5 truckloads of stuff I hauled out amounted to a mere $400 check, must have been a crappy turnout at the auction, or the amish hosting it ripped me off (probable since the amish out here are mostly greedy thieves, lots of them in the paper for shoplifting lately). ended up going out for the day to try to forget the stuff going on, also to buy a new maul (I think the handle broke because I was pissed off when I used it, was splitting elm with a single swing)
Old 05-23-2018, 01:31 PM

Default Tommy Rooster

For the most part a beautiful long weekend here in the bush. Wet on Sunday morning and a bit of drizzle in the afternoon. Gave me opportunity to burn off the big 2 meter fire pit I had ready and under tarp. KarenBC finished the garden as she wanted. A few things already up from last weekend. Pretty much only the holy trilogy this year. Potato, pea, onions. I finished making vine climbing cages for her. We also had a very nice picnic camp fire. A pot of tea, sausages, roasted marshmallows.

To town yesterday for a car repair issue and other errands. When we got home KarenBC let chickens and geese out to play. Tommy Rooster decided to hop on fence and crow. When she went to chase him off he hopped into donkey paddock. Short version. So here she is trying to catch rooster with scissors in hand, donkey trying to dance on rooster, and rooster running like hell to avoid both. She caught rooster and clipped his wings. He is lucky to have any feathers left at all after all that trouble. I stayed out of the way.

So as she is cooling off and telling me about all this, I find out laughing until my teeth almost hurt is NOT the proper response at that moment. Who knew ??

Life is good.

Doninalaska.... High alert status here. Yesterday I saw a BIG black bear cross road into grass airport where the bee hives are. I guess there have been issues with that. Likely will be more.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Yesterday I learned that okra seed is only viable for 2 years. Huh. That would be why my okra seed never came up as mine was 5 years old.

So today I visited 3 different stores before I found okra seed: people out here kid of like it but most years it is just too cool for it to bear well.

But, with the drought and all, I believe that we will have enough sunny days to bring off a crop of okra. So, today I bought a package of okra and I planted all of the okra. If it bears well then I shall freeze some of I so that I can have fried okra during the winter.

There is a lady on-line who will freeze a pint of vegetables in a quart zip lock bag, and lay it flat to freeze. Then she stacks the flat bags up which takes up less room in her freezer. She DOES caution people to not stack them until the bags ARE frozen, or the vegetables will not freeze fast enough and then they will spoil.
Do you know about the "Okra Fairy"? She flies around the fields and blows her nose in each of the okra pods.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Master Pontificator

Don, LOL ROTFL
Old 05-23-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Do you know about the "Okra Fairy"? She flies around the fields and blows her nose in each of the okra pods.
When my youngest was being potty trained, the 5 year old next door told him there was a "potty monster" hiding in the toilet! It is funny to look back on it but at the time I could have killed her!
Old 05-23-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Was buying some fried Okra the other day and the guy behind the counter wanted to know what Okra tasted like.

If asked again, now I'll know what to say.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:56 AM
Master Pontificator

sunny, around 70

now that corn losses have ended I started to loose bean seedlings at an alarming rate, not birds, looks like woodchuck damage, but I am around almost all the time and I have not seen anything, and no tracks or other indication. so today I was out running 500+ feet of poultry netting to fence stuff out, then set out traps and game cameras.

lost another chick today, out of 20 in the first group I am down to 14, I have no idea why they keep dying, they seem fine until they are suddenly dead in the bin. always in the same area. I think the mother hen is killing them when she is scratching the ground as the dead chicks are always in a pile she scratched out of the way. when she scratches the chicks run away from her. thinking of taking over with an oil lamp and booting the hen out, had losses like this before with a hen I named clucktard (after she was so incompetent she accidentally killed almost all her chicks). has anyone got any ideas why I keep finding a dead chick in the same spot every 2 or 3 days? thinking of putting group 1, 2, 3, and 4 in together and booting the hens back to the coop, and keeping the chicks in a big box with oil lamp, they all hatched within a 2 week time of each other and they are all bantams that won't get very big anyway for a long time. should put the hens back to work laying sooner too.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:46 AM

I would definitely put the chicks in a brooder and see if the losses stop. Chickens are among the stupidest of God's creatures. It will be interesting to find out what is killing your seedlings, too. Let us know when you find out.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:51 AM
Master Pontificator

put the hen who has been accidentally killing chicks back out in the coop, I watched her for a while and another unlucky chick was in the way while she was scratching, she rolled it underfoot and tossed it behind her, completely oblivious as she was looking at the bits of feed on the ground and telling the rest to eat, but as they all ran in she started scratching again causing them to scatter and run away again. fortunately this chick survived, I assume the rolling like that is what has been killing the others (twisting the chick, breaking bones, etc). I put a couple oil lamps in but the chicks would run to all different parts of the box then stop, stand still and chirp in distress expecting the hen to show where she is hiding. broody 2 has been a very good hen so far (only a few days difference in the 2 hatching out their chicks). I moved her and her chicks in with the others. she is a much smaller hen (even as bantams go, she is the size of a bluejay or robin) but similar hens could tend up to 30 chicks last year and all she needs to do is stand there at night with her wings out and they will all huddle under her. if this works out then great, if not i'll try the lamps again, I can't power any other heat source.

edit: I also checked the different chicks, 1 died from pasty butt in the first group (the first time I ever had that problem) caught it too late since I don't handle the chicks (I let a mother hen do that). I checked the ones in with the dumb cluck who was killing chicks while scratching and found several with pasty butt starting, and I compared them to the ones with the younger smaller hens, and found the other group had no such problems, her chicks despite being younger by a few days were actually larger and healthier. the only difference I can see was in the hen that was mothering them. I read that hens will take care of pasty butt so I will watch a few days to see if the problem goes away.

I also put out more cardboard on the ground, I turned over some pieces and picked up lots of worms and tossed them in, its hilarious to see them all run around in a game of keep away free for all over worms.

Last edited by Setanta; 05-24-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:30 PM

Looks like it's going to be a hot Memorial Day weekend. Our normal high this time of year is 77, but this weekend they're calling for 94 and 95 for highs this weekend.

Got my camper licensed today so it will be ready to go to the lake next week. Thought I'd wait till after the holiday weekend.

Watching my granddaughter tomorrow so thought I'd take her fishing. Picked up some minnows today, so we'll see what she can catch tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:23 AM

30 F. here this morning, and it looks like another cold night ahead. Even the greenhouses are close to freezing. Nothing in the garden yet, though.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:49 AM
Master Pontificator

70 degrees rain off and on

no idea why chicks still dying, I still find a dead one in the same spot in the box every day, different hen so its not the hen doing it. ha to clean the pasting off 2 more last night, have 1 that hasn't been great since and its getting picked on, I thought it would die (its also a runt) but one of the strongest healthiest chicks was dead and the runt was still alive.

I fed them hard boiled eggs, chopped up, for protein, and gave them a bunch of worms, a big clump of dirt with grass, and scratch grain, and plenty of water. they have plenty of room to move around, an they have a mother hen keeping them warm. as far as I can tell they go to the same magic spot and suddenly drop dead with their head lifted up and their legs stretched out. i'm not even going to try to stop this trend anymore, whatever survive will survive, I got plenty more broodies so even if there is a 75% loss on all the chicks by next spring the number in the flock will still rise to 3 times what it was this spring.

also been checking the kittens out on the porch, 3 are healthy, 1 has massive lumpy swollen bulges like the galls on the limbs of a tree, its back foot is the size of a marble, its front leg is bigger than its head, and there is a pea size lump on its tail. lumps have been the same since I first checked it weeks ago, I think its a deformed kitten rather than disease.

and the fence I put up seems to have stopped the bean losses, whatever was raiding the garden cannot fly or jump over the fence, so that limits it to a rabbit or woodchuck as the enemy.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:53 PM

100 today, broke the record from 1912. In April we broke records from the 1800s for cold. Guess this really is the year of no spring.

Hit the lake at 6:30 this morning and was off by 10:30. I'll stay away the rest of the weekend and let those that have to work every day have the lake for the weekend.

Cleaned out by backyard pond yesterday and picked up a new pond pump to run the waterfall today.