BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser


Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #81  
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 PM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,129
Default

DH has the coming week off, and he and my son are installing a used stair lift for me. They do not know what they are doing, though there were some instructions on-line. I have learned to be patient, as there have been many delays.

It is *HOT* out today! It is in the 90's.

The self-watering pots I made are doing very well even in the heat and I am pleased with them. Alas, the lettuce might be about finished, as it is starting to bolt. I can try another planting, and it either will or will not be bitter.

Lastly, I ordered drip irrigation supplies from Dripworks. I want the supplies on hand when I finally have time to set things up.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-27-2018, 01:37 AM
CountryMom22 Female CountryMom22 is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 598
Default

Been busy here so I haven't been on in awhile. Glad to see everyone is still keepin' on.

The weather has been up and down all season, but I did manage to get the garden in. Most of the veggies are enjoying the cooler temps and regular rainfall. All except the peppers. Not sure if they are going to make it. I had to replant the beans as only 4 of the seeds I planted came up. Looked like something got to the seeds.

I've been doing more grooming than normal for this time of year due to the unsettled April weather this year. So I've been working, weeding and watering, not necessarily in that order!

Been taking care of a friends place for the last few days while she and her family are away shearing sheep. Don't envy them one bit as it was well into the 90's here today. By morning it should be in the lower 60's and raining with the temps dropping through the day. Not sure that I'll get much done outside tomorrow, but Monday should be better.

Hubby got most of the mowing and weed wacking done today, as well as fixing a tractor we are sending to my brother as a long term loaner. Then they walked the woods at my MIL's place to decide which trees are coming down in the next few weeks. And made a visit to the local steam locomotive as my brother has a friend from Arizona staying with him for a while, and they had a good time with that.

I have to wait and see what the weather turns out to be tomorrow to decide what I'll be doing. I'd like to get the chicken coop and shed cleaned out this weekend if possible. Time will tell.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-27-2018, 02:02 PM
doc doc is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Very hot here (90s) all week also. Memorial Day tends to average 75 because it's either 95 or 55, never actually 75. Nothing new to see here folks.


I have the loan of a friend's 40 y/o skid steer loader to get my back-filling/grading done and move large sand stone slabs around for retaining walls. Also using same sand stone recovered from the house excavation for garden walls and lower half of house exterior.


Due to heat, only working a few hours per day on building chicken coop. Gotta get it done soon-- chicks a only 6 weeks old and already huge and crowded in the box in the garage.


Potatoes, beans, onion sets & peas doing well. Corn planted late due to cold/rainy early May starting to sprout. Lettuce, spinach & radishes growing in cold frame near house doing well- easy to water in that location. But tomatoes & peppers started indoors and transplanted to garden are harder to water (have to cart jugs down there). They look puny due to scant rainfall last three weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Setanta Male Setanta is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 862
Default

partly sunny 75 degrees

more troubles on the farm, I identified the garden raider/s, a gray squirrel has been raiding the garden, as has a wild turkey hen. I think the turkey has a nest in one of the branch piles in the pasture, it comes from the same area daily. I shot the squirrel yesterday.

have not lost anymore chicks, in fact 7 more hatched yesterday, the hen was insistant on waiting till the last egg hatched, I checked it and it was a dud. so I moved the hen and chicks into another (clean) bin. since the bantams are so flock/family oriented (they want nothing to do with other chicken breeds so they are racist chickens, but they don't fight among themselves and are very social, other breed have been total jerks to each other) I moved all but group 1 and 2 into the coop, still in their bins so the rest can see and hear them, but can't bother them. in a week I plan to loose them in the coop to see how they do. I have to set up another water container for them so the chicks can reach it.

in preparation of this idea I decided to put fresh litter down, I went out back to load a trailer with small woodchips (chipper makes tiny chips, almost the size of chicken layer pellets, very small with pine needles and leaves mixed in). I opened the pasture gate and as soon as the tractor was through the steers ran past the tractor from where they were hiding in the brush, then they ran through the yard and right into the garden, came to a complete stop and started eating all the bean seedlings. it was if they were planning an escape and waiting for me to open the gate when they heard the tractor (gate only opens when I drive tractor through it). they ignored me as I was trying to drive them out of the garden and acted as if they were laughing at me, got to the point I was throwing small stones at them to stop them ruining the bean plants, and I was finally able to chase them out of the garden, got them cornered and used scrap fence to keep them in the corner (they didn't know it wasn't hot). took over an hour of running in circles to corner them. once they were in the trapped corner I opened a space in the fence to allow them an opening to get back into the pasture from the trap corner. I was so out of breath from the exertion and agrivation that I was ready to go cut some steaks today.

the 3rd problem is that my neighbor is having trouble with one of my cats, I got a huge gray and white tom cat, big dominant cat in the area with a large territory, spends more time away than at home, out wandering, making kittens, and fighting. he has been attacking their fixed female cat and causing a disturbance all night at their place. the guys daughter is now living there full time with the cat and a bunch of goats. they mentioned the cat being a problem, so I told them to shoot the cat when he causes trouble at their place. the cat is only protected while on my property, if he goes somewhere else and gets shot that's his fault, in fact now that I had heard the complaint and know there isn't anything I can do to stop him from being a problem I plan to shoot him myself when I see him. disappointing but I am surprised he lived as long as he has with the general low life expectancy of outdoor cats around here.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-27-2018, 03:15 PM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,129
Default

We had a tom cat that behaved the same way he only came home to sleep and eat and any human who interfered with either got bitten.

*AFTER* we got him neutered he turned into very fine pet, and he became my husbands good buddy. All of the neighborhood kids knew him because whenever there were people at the park he would go to see what people were doing, and he liked to hang out with the kids.

I realize that your cat is probably a barn cat who is kept to kill mice, but, some animals are just better if they are neutered.

On a more cheerful note I picked a gallon of strawberries today, and the guys are still poking at the stair lift. I intend to feed them roast beef tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-27-2018, 04:45 PM
Setanta Male Setanta is offline
Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 862
Default

would have them all fixed if the local rate wasn't $800 per cat. I don't qualify for free fixing (same reason I couldn't get health insurance, I have no record of income or expenses and without that stuff I cannot sign up for any kind of thing based on financieal elligability, in ny you can be denied health insurance if you don't have an electric bill), they also don't qualify as ferals and even if they did the local program only does about 60 cats a year (counting the 2 litters I have 12 cats right now). i'm not going to sink a months worth of income to fix a barn cat that might get hit by a car a week later anyway. fixing would be better, but its outside my means to have it done, only thing I can do is shoot it myself, or do nothing in which case the neighbor will shoot it.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Tim Horton's Avatar
Tim Horton Male Tim Horton is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Deep in the BC Bush
Posts: 6,019
Default

Started the weekend early Saturday morning with the ground wet and a thin layer of frost on a car sitting outside. Mid day drizzle or rain shower Friday and Saturday both. Overcast and temp no higher than 10C. Garden seems not bothered by this. Only problem has been a number of forest and grass fires set by lightning and one man made fire so far this season. All are small fires with no issues yet. Most are north of us to the Yukon border.

Big estate garage sale for friends parents was a monumental event. KarenBC scored about 8 apple boxes of free canning jars. And a lot of small stuff, tools, the usual. We scored 3 automatic barn insect spray dispensers that retail about $85 each. Good thing as mosquito season is in full force here.

So from that sale we had to make a trip home to unload before working our way to and back from town with a map and list of addresses for sales. Was a good score.

Got most of my barn cleaning done. Only one stall in rabbit barns, and half the chicken house to finish. Tommy Rooster is still trying to be a rebel. As best he can with one wing clipped. He is funny to watch.

Used the tractor and loader to clean the 2 meter fire pit and make ready for the next load. Will need JD to help clean the donkey stall also.

Winston Churchill DeHounddog is busy chasing the cottontail rabbits and ruff grouse from where I put out feed for them. Elvis, the old front load washer on the back porch, is busy rockin and rollin. We use the grey water from him to water the tame and wild berry bushes in the yard. KarenBC has her green house all set up and filled to the brim. Now she is busy going through Jerry Baker gardening books compiling things to do and tips to make things produce well.

Tea and toast is ready here on another gorgeous day in the bush.
__________________
Always fresh.
Keep your stick on the ice. Red Green
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-27-2018, 05:11 PM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,129
Default

Eight HUNDRED dollars per cat??????

Unreal.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-27-2018, 05:53 PM
doc doc is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post

...and the guys are still poking at the stair lift..

The wife rates the difficulty of DIY projects she commissions for me-- "That's probably gunna be about a three MF-er project." etc.


Sounds like your stairlift might be about an "eight."


Setanta-- doesn't make much sense to spend any money on a problem cat when he can be easily replaced for free.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-28-2018, 07:28 AM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Started the weekend early Saturday morning with the ground wet and a thin layer of frost on a car sitting outside. Mid day drizzle or rain shower Friday and Saturday both. Overcast and temp no higher than 10C. Garden seems not bothered by this. Only problem has been a number of forest and grass fires set by lightning and one man made fire so far this season. All are small fires with no issues yet. Most are north of us to the Yukon border.

Big estate garage sale for friends parents was a monumental event. KarenBC scored about 8 apple boxes of free canning jars. And a lot of small stuff, tools, the usual. We scored 3 automatic barn insect spray dispensers that retail about $85 each. Good thing as mosquito season is in full force here.

So from that sale we had to make a trip home to unload before working our way to and back from town with a map and list of addresses for sales. Was a good score.

Got most of my barn cleaning done. Only one stall in rabbit barns, and half the chicken house to finish. Tommy Rooster is still trying to be a rebel. As best he can with one wing clipped. He is funny to watch.

Used the tractor and loader to clean the 2 meter fire pit and make ready for the next load. Will need JD to help clean the donkey stall also.

Winston Churchill DeHounddog is busy chasing the cottontail rabbits and ruff grouse from where I put out feed for them. Elvis, the old front load washer on the back porch, is busy rockin and rollin. We use the grey water from him to water the tame and wild berry bushes in the yard. KarenBC has her green house all set up and filled to the brim. Now she is busy going through Jerry Baker gardening books compiling things to do and tips to make things produce well.

Tea and toast is ready here on another gorgeous day in the bush.
Tim, it sounds as you have been busy. We had our big plant sale this weekend, so now we can get into our own gardens. We are above freezing most nights now, but there are still a few.... My wife has a baby shower tomorrow for a young lady we have watched grow up with our own children. Her mother was my wife's best friend until the friend died of breast cancer a number of years ago. My wife has always been a kind of "substitute mom" for her old friend's daughters. I will either work on planting greenhouses (if it is raining) or weld a broken tine on the tiller and finish that job (if it is sunny and dry). I have trees to cut down and buck, and I have some electrical work to do around the house as well. If your washer is outside, how do you launder in the winter? Just wunderin'.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 05-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Tim Horton's Avatar
Tim Horton Male Tim Horton is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Deep in the BC Bush
Posts: 6,019
Default

Cool 9C for a high temp today, sun is out, but quite windy from the east. Another front passing I suspect. Dog is out in a favorite dry spot under a big pine tree soaking up rays.
ggggggg

If your washer is outside, how do you launder in the winter? Just wunderin'.
Elvis only gets run during summer. The cold months he sit out with a belly full of RV anti freeze. He does double duty for an old machine, washing and watering berry bushes. Works well.
ppppppppp

Score of scores...... Found an add for a tractor snow blower to go see. Not too far from the big estate sale. Back to the sale, got to talking with our friends and got a full sealed and a half full, 55 gallon barrels of K1 kerosene. Stored in the back of a shed cool and dry since about the late 1990s, mid 2000s. As clear and clean as the day it was put there, and about 60 cents a gallon.

KarenBC was talking to the grandma there and they got to talking about her apple trees. Grandma told her what kind they were, there history, and all. Then said for her to take a bunch of branches from all three trees and how to graft them onto our crab apple. So now we have 6 or so jars with apple branches on the counter being prepped for grafting. Hope it goes well as she is so into that kind of thing. She is nose deep in her Jerry Baker plant, gardening books on this process. Doninalaska, you may get a PM or two for wisdom, guidance about this process if necessary.
kkkkkkk

"That's probably gunna be about a three MF-er project." etc.
Yes... Some projects end up sounding like a whole squad of sailors are working on it. Other projects go more smoothly. With KarenBC family history in the Canadian Coast Guard she can speak the language fluently. Kind of funny to see and hear when she gets quite intense over something.
Woman is a new adventure every day. I'm so lucky.
__________________
Always fresh.
Keep your stick on the ice. Red Green
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-28-2018, 04:45 PM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980
Default

Tim, you truly are lucky. As to the grafting, I would recommend getting something like this if you are going to do much grafting. It works so much better and is easier than using a knife. My friend with a commercial orchard uses it much to his advantage. He was using a knife until I turned him on to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Migiwata-Prof...or+fruit+trees

Amazon has several brands of these tools, and you might be able to find one locally (in the big city) at a gardening or nursery shop. Good luck with it. That was a good score on the K-1 too. I only use it in emergencies now, but it is nice to have around.
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-28-2018, 08:22 PM
blackpowderbill Male blackpowderbill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Madison County, NE Georgia
Posts: 399
Post bored stupid

Yep bored stupid. I use to hit the muzzle loader shooting trail in NY. Here in Ga shoots are far and few between.
I'm competing in a few postal matches keeps me out of trouble.

Between the rain and pollen I removed all a silver tarp the contractor put under the craw space. Scraped teh dirt as level as possible then installed new 6mil black plastic. It's needs the edges sealed up. Part of my problem is water running in from hard rains. It is following a domestic water line in.

I have been pumping the water out the back of the house for 4 yrs now. SO, I started digging to shore up 2 area where dirt had slid down BECAUSE it was to hard to put a few blocks up to hold the dirt back on one side.

The stream side , when I think the addition was built they cracked the block to the basement. Yes and GOD forbid they tossed some cement and mortar on that area.
Then they laid 2 cement blocks down and filled then with cement. YEA, poured a chunk under that to hold the dirt back.
It didn't since it washes out!

I decide to dig a hole in a low spot figured to put my pump there then when the mood strikes me I'll dig a hole for a proper sump pump. Dug about 2 shovel and donk, the blade hist something. I;m like WTH scrape around some and see a gray fiber pop up. Dig around with my hands and find a 4" black pipe wrapped in duct tape.

Words were used that I can't say here.

I clear the pipe out and say to my self well lets see if it works. Later that night its pouring rain. I check the stream and it is gurgling down some place couldn't see but it was going away.

Picked up 12 cement blocks to make new wall and will pack the clay in to hold back one side. Then I'll have to dig a trench out front of the house to grab the run off & direct it away from the house.

On a good note I sold all the CVA muzzle loaders that came in last month. Working on a few leather projects, knife sheaths for the CVA Alamo Bowie's. Had a drop off yesterday, a CVA 58 cal mountain rifle. MAN what a shame the bore is pitted bad. It may shoot but will be a PIA to clean after firing.

Put a new bench in under the basement window. It was an old 72x34" solid desk top a friend gave me. Being vertically challenged I could not reach the window to open it so modification was called for. Put a bell port in hinged so it can be picked up locked in place . This way I don't loose bench space.

Caught 2 beaver off the farmer down the road. I'm sure there are more since I located 4 dams along the creek bottom.
Did I tell ya about the tranny after cooler on the truck? I installed one and so far it keeps the temp below 200' while towing the tin tee pee. It was running 100 deg over out side air. Now it it's 80 out I may hit 150 moving warmer while stopped unless the fans kick on.

hey that's bout it.
ttylBill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180422_110110775.jpg (6.6 KB, 15 views)
__________________
Having once been downwind of a plate of biscuits and squirrel gravy does not make you Daniel Boone. KD Williams
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 05-28-2018, 09:50 PM
hunter88 hunter88 is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,169
Default

Well broke another record today as far as heat is concerned, this time from 1895.

So in April we broke an 1875 record for cold, and in May it's an 1895 record for hot.

Pulling the camper out to the lake on Wed. Looking forward to spending a night or two each week at the lake, fishing late and early to avoid the heat.
__________________
Gun control: It's like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 05-29-2018, 12:20 AM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
Yep bored stupid. I use to hit the muzzle loader shooting trail in NY. Here in Ga shoots are far and few between.
I'm competing in a few postal matches keeps me out of trouble.

Between the rain and pollen I removed all a silver tarp the contractor put under the craw space. Scraped teh dirt as level as possible then installed new 6mil black plastic. It's needs the edges sealed up. Part of my problem is water running in from hard rains. It is following a domestic water line in.

I have been pumping the water out the back of the house for 4 yrs now. SO, I started digging to shore up 2 area where dirt had slid down BECAUSE it was to hard to put a few blocks up to hold the dirt back on one side.

The stream side , when I think the addition was built they cracked the block to the basement. Yes and GOD forbid they tossed some cement and mortar on that area.
Then they laid 2 cement blocks down and filled then with cement. YEA, poured a chunk under that to hold the dirt back.
It didn't since it washes out!

I decide to dig a hole in a low spot figured to put my pump there then when the mood strikes me I'll dig a hole for a proper sump pump. Dug about 2 shovel and donk, the blade hist something. I;m like WTH scrape around some and see a gray fiber pop up. Dig around with my hands and find a 4" black pipe wrapped in duct tape.

Words were used that I can't say here.

I clear the pipe out and say to my self well lets see if it works. Later that night its pouring rain. I check the stream and it is gurgling down some place couldn't see but it was going away.

Picked up 12 cement blocks to make new wall and will pack the clay in to hold back one side. Then I'll have to dig a trench out front of the house to grab the run off & direct it away from the house.

On a good note I sold all the CVA muzzle loaders that came in last month. Working on a few leather projects, knife sheaths for the CVA Alamo Bowie's. Had a drop off yesterday, a CVA 58 cal mountain rifle. MAN what a shame the bore is pitted bad. It may shoot but will be a PIA to clean after firing.

Put a new bench in under the basement window. It was an old 72x34" solid desk top a friend gave me. Being vertically challenged I could not reach the window to open it so modification was called for. Put a bell port in hinged so it can be picked up locked in place . This way I don't loose bench space.

Caught 2 beaver off the farmer down the road. I'm sure there are more since I located 4 dams along the creek bottom.
Did I tell ya about the tranny after cooler on the truck? I installed one and so far it keeps the temp below 200' while towing the tin tee pee. It was running 100 deg over out side air. Now it it's 80 out I may hit 150 moving warmer while stopped unless the fans kick on.

hey that's bout it.
ttylBill
Bill, I hope you get your water problems fixed. I know it is difficult to fix a water issue when it was not done correctly the first time. I can only say that the best thing to do is to dig around the foundation and fix it right. Nothing else really seems to work here. I had my crawl space "encapsulated" with help from the State, and they used some kind of special tape to seal the plastic. I don't think it is regular duct tape, but it looks like it and is blue in color. It made a world of difference in the musty smell and dampness down there.

Too bad you can't be here for a black powder competition. I don't know how many shoots they have, since I don't participate, but they have their own black powder range up the highway. The organization is the McKinley Mountain Men. I talked to them about getting a shoot together for a Boy Scout Troop at one time, since the scoutmaster has his own range on his property, but it never worked out, as the troop moved away from Scouts as the Gay lobby moved in and it became Trail Life. The shooting got lost in the shuffle.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 05-29-2018, 12:22 AM
Doninalaska Doninalaska is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post
Well broke another record today as far as heat is concerned, this time from 1895.

So in April we broke an 1875 record for cold, and in May it's an 1895 record for hot.

Pulling the camper out to the lake on Wed. Looking forward to spending a night or two each week at the lake, fishing late and early to avoid the heat.
I think we hit 70 F. today for the first time this year. It was sunny yesterday, too, but only reached 67 F. Spring has finally arrived here.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 AM
hunter88 hunter88 is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Nebraska
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,169
Default

Some thunderstorms came through yesterday and we got some much needed rain. It doesn't take many upper 90 and 100 degree days in a row to dry things out.

Got off the lake about 2 pm because it was getting dark and we could hear the thunder. Had the boat backed into the barn maybe 30 minutes when the storm hit. The combination of wind and rain were so hard there were times I couldn't see my daughters house, which is only about 200 feet from my house. Fortunately the hail that came with it was pea size or smaller so no damage there. Lots of smaller branches down but surprisingly no big stuff.
__________________
Gun control: It's like fighting drunk driving by restricting the sober drivers.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM
doc doc is online now
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
Posts: 1,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post

"That's probably gunna be about a three MF-er project." etc. Yes... Some projects end up sounding like a whole squad of sailors are working on it. Other projects go more smoothly. With KarenBC family history in the Canadian Coast Guard she can speak the language fluently. Kind of funny to see and hear when she gets quite intense over something.
Woman is a new adventure every day. I'm so lucky.

We just passed the 36th milestone and there's still something new everyday. Sometimes my name could be Ricky Ricardo. It is funny when she goes off on a tirade. I'll say, "I see your Tourette's Syndrome is acting up again." or " I love it when you sweet talk me."


Not to change the subject, but, nice score on the kerosene. I've always wondered, since Diesel fuel is basically kerosene, can it be used in kerosene lamps or a torpedo heater?
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 AM
Tim Horton's Avatar
Tim Horton Male Tim Horton is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Deep in the BC Bush
Posts: 6,019
Default

Cloudy, cool something less than 10C for high temp. Barn roof and outside car wet in the morning, but no frost. The frost we did have took a couple leaves of her outside peppers but nothing else hurt.

She got a couple husked ground cherry plants from somewhere, put them in side of a "water wall" surrounding them. Plastic tube in a circle you stake up and fill with water. Kind of like a whole circle of kids freezy pops standing together. Provides a heat sink of sorts and insulation for cold. Seems to have worked well.

Husked ground cherries = WONDERFUL jam....

Got a huge 3/4 ton truck load of compost from the city land fill site. Used about a third so far top dressing garden and such. Need to work on that still. Got more barn cleaning done. Still have bit left to do in 3 out of 4 barns yet.. Seems I'll never get done. Uggg...

77777
Not to change the subject, but, nice score on the kerosene. I've always wondered, since Diesel fuel is basically kerosene, can it be used in kerosene lamps or a torpedo heater?

Yes.. A good score on the K1 kerosene and glad to find it.

To answer your question best I can.... It has been my experience it is NOT a good idea to use diesel in lamps. To heavy and smells. That is why we use the K1. Yes.. I do/have used K1, because that what has been available to thin strait diesel that got left over until cold weather to use in the tractor. About 30% K1 seems to work good. If you ever have a fuel system jell up you will not enjoy the experience at all. Knock on wood, I've kept fuel thin enough to not have that happen.

Unfortunately, limited experience with these, and don't own one, so not much help. Suggest.... Read the directions with your salamander/torpedo heater. I think some can run diesel, (maybe winter diesel ?, because of fuel jell issues ?) Some won't run diesel at all because of carbon build up and smell.
__________________
Always fresh.
Keep your stick on the ice. Red Green
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Terri Terri is offline
Grand Master Pontificator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,129
Default

Going to town can be fun, as long as you do not go too often. So, today DH and I will go to the movies, and I will eat food that I have not cooked myself.

Mind, I am a very good cook, but that just means that I like to try new dishes and copy the ones that I like. Few people like to eat their own cooking EVERY day, and I enjoy the variety.

Speaking of food, I need to freeze the uneaten strawberries. My son went home to his apartment for a few days and without his help to eat them the berries are backing up. Because I am a foodie I do love homesteading!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -2. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1996 to Present. Backwoods Home Magazine, Inc.