BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:29 AM
Master Pontificator

Default June 2018

in the 80s, sunny, hazy, and humid

sitting in my shorts in front of a fan its so miserable today and has been for last 2 days, this afternoon is calling for heavy rain and thunderstorms, weather like this builds for a few days then a violent storm rolls in, torrential rain falls for 5 minutes with high wind and cracks of lighting and thunder, then its cool after. just waiting for the weather to break.

lost a kitten and 3 chicks Wednesday, no idea why the kitten died, just found it dead, out of 12 that were born only 7 are left. 2 of the chicks had pasting that I failed to notice, the 3rd had pasting but I washed it off days earlier, died anyway.

yesterday I got a bucket of moldy strawberries and gave them to the chickens. also got tomato plants, got enough canned for a while but can always use more, then I can sell a few and toss some to the cluckers.

not much going on till the weather breaks
Old 06-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
in the 80s, sunny, hazy, and humid

sitting in my shorts in front of a fan its so miserable today and has been for last 2 days, this afternoon is calling for heavy rain and thunderstorms, weather like this builds for a few days then a violent storm rolls in, torrential rain falls for 5 minutes with high wind and cracks of lighting and thunder, then its cool after. just waiting for the weather to break.

lost a kitten and 3 chicks Wednesday, no idea why the kitten died, just found it dead, out of 12 that were born only 7 are left. 2 of the chicks had pasting that I failed to notice, the 3rd had pasting but I washed it off days earlier, died anyway.

yesterday I got a bucket of moldy strawberries and gave them to the chickens. also got tomato plants, got enough canned for a while but can always use more, then I can sell a few and toss some to the cluckers.

not much going on till the weather breaks
Did you try changing the food you are feeding the chicks? It seems like you are having a very high mortality for the new hatches. It hit 70 F. here for the first time this year yesterday, and it is supposed to be warmer over the weekend. My wife is out planting as I write. We have the greenhouses pretty well done, and everything seems to be doing well so far. My new little greenhouse is getting hot quickly, so I got an automatic opener to see if I can make it work. I also have to rig up fans to keep the air moving.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:43 PM
Master Pontificator

40% mortality rate with the first 3 clutches, most died before reaching 2 weeks old. changed what I was feeding them. oddly there have been no deaths among the 4th, 5th, or 6th clutches and they were fed the same stuff. I got 3 more broodies expected to hatch out chicks next week.

in the afternoon I ran to town for supplies and a little luxury, bought chick feeders (only had a couple, needed a lot more for all the different groups). also bought a 100+ gallon rubber stock tank (looks like 130 gallons), emptied one of my rain barrels into it then dragged it under the gutter, added more water from the well and other rain barrels till it was 75 percent filled, then jumped in it to cool off like a deep mini pool (almost 3 feet deep, 3 feet wide, 5 feet long), positioned it where the barrel was so its under shade in the hot part of the day and the overhang also discourages deer and horse flies so I can chill without them bothering me. could have added more water to it but the heavy rain expected this evening will do that for me for next time.

last 3 days broke the record for hottest may 30th, 31st, and june 1st. has not been recorded being this hot before, even the chickens are trying to jump into their water to cool off.

Last edited by Setanta; 06-01-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:04 AM

Setanta we've had the same problem with breaking records. Two out of three days over Memorial Day weekend broke records, which they said made it the hottest Memorial Day weekend on record. Yesterday broke another record.

Pulled my camper to the lake Thursday morning. Here you put your camper on a spot for a month. All campers have to move to a different spot during 4 days, the last two days of the month or first two days of the new month. So this time the move was from Wed to Sat. A lot of people swap spots with someone else, but being new I don't know anyone and didn't have a spot to swap. The rule is if the spot is open stick your camper in quick and then fill out the paperwork, no reserving of sites.

I put my camper in a 7 day site Thursday morning since I didn't see a monthly site I liked. Thursday evening saw me back and the lake ready to pounce on a site if one opened up that I wanted. I've been a member here 6 weeks, and I think I saw more activity in one evening then I'd seen in the 6 weeks since I'd joined. There are 48 monthly sites and all but 4 or 5 had campers on them, so that means a lot of campers moving around in a short period of time.

There were a couple sites that I liked where I knew campers still had to move, but when I saw a decent site open where I could beach my boat close by I decided to not take a chance waiting on one of the others and grabbed the one while I could. So now I have my camper set up under some nice shade trees and I can beach my boat nearby. Now I just need to run to Wal Mart and buy a cheap grill I can just leave at the lake.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:43 PM

It hit 70 F. again yesterday, but it is still in the 30s at night, even though it is light all night now. With the daylight, the greenhouses are staying a little warmer than ambient, so everything is happy there if I can keep them from overheating during the day. Glad to hear you are situated in your new "digs", Hunter. My son is Omaha is getting really sick of the heat there. He hasn't ever lived in a hot climate, so he is longing for Alaska and will be visiting for 2 weeks beginning on the 14th of June. Most of my sons are fisherman, but the one arriving later this month is an outdoorsman in the mountains. I think he misses our mountains more than anything else here.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:49 PM

Yeah the heat has been way above average this year. If your son likes the mountains I could see why the Omaha area wouldn't suit him very well. Now if he went out to the far western part of the state, he might like that better even though there still aren't mountains. Of course along with no mountains there aren't many jobs either. Most counties in the panhandle have more cattle then people.

I've lived in the Omaha area most of my life and can't stand going there. I don't know how someone used to Alaska could live in that city. Then again I remember when 72nd street was the west edge of the city, now it's past 204th street.

Went to the lake this morning and found a spot that I really liked was now open, so I hooked up the camper quick and made the move. Now I'm set for the month of June. I have one camper about 100 yards to the east, and another maybe 50 yards to the west. Enough trees around I can't really see either of them. The three of us may have to sit down this month and talk about swapping spots. If we each move to another's spot the first of July and then do the same thing the first of August, we'd all be able to stay in the same area for 3 months.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 PM

Couldn't you keep that going forever? 1 move to 2, 2 move to 3, 3 move to 1, then continue the cycle with 1 move to 2, etc.? Unless there is a rule that you cannot occupy the same site for 6 months or a year. My son drives out to Colorado for some relief, but Colorado's mountains don't hold a candle to Alaska's.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:24 PM

The 30 day rule only lasts from May through August. You can only use the same spot once in those 4 months.

So with three of us in the same area, and it's now June, we could swap for July and August, then Sept the rule of not being on the same spot twice no longer applies. By Nov 1st all campers have to leave for the winter.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:29 PM
Master Pontificator

rain most of the day, in 70s

I cannot move broody buff orpingtons into those broody bins, they just reject the eggs and won't set while anywhere but the nest boxes, even a similar box inside a bin will be rejected. I have 3 broodies but the rest keep trying to use the same nest boxes, forcing the broodies out and adding more eggs to the nest. tried several ways to stop that (cage doors over the occupied nest boxes) but nothing worked very well. today one of the half developed eggs was broken when a non broody climbed in on top of a broody and laid an egg on her back, the egg broke when a 3rd tried to force her way in (there were 5 nest boxes available but they all wanted to use that occupied one) the egg spoiled the rest of the clutch. I found the non broody eating the broken half developed embreo, I was going to chop her head off for that but instead I caged her to stop her from trying to break more now that she has a taste for fetuses. I spent half the day remodeling my old tool shed into a 3rd coop with more nest boxes, a homemade feed dispenser and waterer, roosts, and all the windows I had metal grating for (metal grates like wire shelving or grill grates, combined with poultry netting, keeps chickens in and raccoons out, nothing gets past that level of security). I relocated the rooster and the non broodies to the new coop, the one who lost her eggs is still in an empty nest, i'll be giving her whatever fresh eggs get collected tomorrow. the new coop is about 20 feet from the cabin, so I won't sleep in ever again because of the rooster in it.

besides todays chicken fiasco, I have also not lost any more chicks in the last few days.

on the second I went to a townwide yardsale event, picked up a canoe for $150, a bike trailer (child seat kind, will make into a cargo trailer like the ones I made before), and 20 maple buckets with lids, I also hauled, split and stacked 2 cords of wood.

on the 3rd I spent the entire day hauling splitting and stacking wood, then cooled off by jumping into a 110 gallon stock tank I put in the yard as a mini pool.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 PM
Master Pontificator

cloudy and spitting occasional rain, otherwise fair in the 70s

yesterday I bought a lot of lumber, and hauled logs to have amish mill them (I could have done it but these were cherry logs and I wanted good lumber without rookie mistakes in milling). I also scavenged a pile of good carpets I found on the curb, rain soaked, but no dog pee stains. will help with insulation in the future.

today I used the lumber to add another 10x15 room onto my workshop, I also picked up the cherry lumber, roughly 400 board feet of cherry lumber costing $44, plus I kept the slabs. and a friend who owes me money stopped in to pay $500 towards what he owes.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:52 PM

Sounds like you had a good day, Setanta. It stayed under 60 F. today and was cloudy. My wife is almost done planting the garden. I can no longer do it well. If she decides to quit gardening, we will no longer have a large garden. Plant sale last weekend netted us over $2000, so that will pay for garden expenses with lots left over. Our #3 son will arrive from Nebraska a week from tomorrow, and my brother and his wife will arrive 4 days later. We have one cherry blossom open, but the rest and the apples are on the verge. We are losing most of our spruce trees to beetle infestation, and I have to get around to cutting them down soon. I am just getting old and find heavy work difficult these days. I also have to finish demolishing an old trailer on the property. We thought it would collapse under the snow last year, but it didn't. I was going to have it hauled off while it was still solid, but the wife decided we had to salvage stuff from it. Now it is an eyesore and liability; I wish I had just gone ahead and had it hauled away.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Been back in the heat, and it appears after today it will be that way again for a while.

Heavy storms last night but fortunately they missed here, just some light rain. The storms were odd in that they didn't move. I watched one on radar and for close to an hour basically sat in one place and poured rain. Not sure how much they got, but later on TV I did see flash flood warnings for that county.

Still a few sprinkles this morning, but it looks like they will stop in the next hour or so. As soon as they do the boat is coming out of the barn and heading to the lake. It will be a nice change of pace to fish in cloudy weather instead of hot and sunny.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 PM

I don't think it got above 65 F yesterday, but it stayed in the 40s last night. It is sunny and clear, so it may get warmer today. The greenhouses and gardens are almost completely planted now, so we wait....
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Master Pontificator

70 degrees sunny

yesterday I did construction work on the addition and work on coop 3, unloaded a wagon of cherry and ash lumber into the shop, then did demolition work for my neighbor, smashing lath and plaster walls for $100.

this morning buff orpington 1s chicks were hatching, yesterday bantam 6s chicks hatched, I let all the bantams and their chicks loose in their coop, there are so many chicks that they are not sure whose are whose so they all help tend the 70+ chicks running loose in the coop. the buffs are not so communal, there are 3 buff broodies, the first of which has chicks hatching today, 2 are already dead, they wandered away from the hen, but didn't get cold, instead they mistook one of the other broodies as their mother and when they went under her she killed them. 1 was still under the mother and 2 more had gone under the 3rd broody buff. 1 more chick was half hatched, the rest of the eggs were only half developed because of the other hens adding eggs to that nest after the broody started, those eggs were tossed out. I relocated the mother hen, her half hatched chick and the 3 others to the big box in my cabin. I wish I could have isolated the hen when she started brooding but the buffs just reject any nest I try to relocate them to.

also this morning I made $40 as a taxi taking someone to an eye doctor. taking a lunch break now then I have to run trash to the station and if there is time I have to haul more cherry and ash logs to the amish mill
Old 06-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Last weekend we got about 2cm rain, off and on all weekend. Now yesterday and last night about another 1.5cm rain so far. I'm OK with that. Will give me a chance to burn off the big 2 meter fire pit full of brush, and trimmings of all sorts kept under an old tarp.

Still working on barn cleaning, hay storage, doing some more remodel to rabbit pens. Got the old dusk till dawn yard light changed out. Got a 5' disk for the tractor 3pt. Plan to do a shallow pass over areas where we have spread barn cleanings and put in a bit of old winter wheat seed we were given from a barn clean out. Most anything is OK on the thin spots in the upper pasture.

Need to get around to doing some yard mowing around the buildings as that has gotten a bit out of hand. Have wire cages yet to build to put around fruit bush transplants. Both the wild and tame Saskatoon berry bushes have put up a ton of new sprouts. KarenBC garden and green house are doing well. So far KarenBC has made one batch of Rhubarb and cinnamon candy sticks in the dehydrator. Real good. Must get around and do more with rhubarb as it is growing crazy good this year.

Like Doninalaska said about midnight sun, we have about 20-21 or so hours of light a day this time of year, but temps of only 15C with occasional 20C days. (60-70F) and lows at 2C.

Even at that we also use the 110 gallon stock tank or "Red Neck, Bush Hot Tub" to cool off or warm up a bit depending on the day. Everything is relative I guess.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Last weekend we got about 2cm rain, off and on all weekend. Now yesterday and last night about another 1.5cm rain so far. I'm OK with that. Will give me a chance to burn off the big 2 meter fire pit full of brush, and trimmings of all sorts kept under an old tarp.

Still working on barn cleaning, hay storage, doing some more remodel to rabbit pens. Got the old dusk till dawn yard light changed out. Got a 5' disk for the tractor 3pt. Plan to do a shallow pass over areas where we have spread barn cleanings and put in a bit of old winter wheat seed we were given from a barn clean out. Most anything is OK on the thin spots in the upper pasture.

Need to get around to doing some yard mowing around the buildings as that has gotten a bit out of hand. Have wire cages yet to build to put around fruit bush transplants. Both the wild and tame Saskatoon berry bushes have put up a ton of new sprouts. KarenBC garden and green house are doing well. So far KarenBC has made one batch of Rhubarb and cinnamon candy sticks in the dehydrator. Real good. Must get around and do more with rhubarb as it is growing crazy good this year.

Like Doninalaska said about midnight sun, we have about 20-21 or so hours of light a day this time of year, but temps of only 15C with occasional 20C days. (60-70F) and lows at 2C.

Even at that we also use the 110 gallon stock tank or "Red Neck, Bush Hot Tub" to cool off or warm up a bit depending on the day. Everything is relative I guess.
Tim, please pass on the recipe for rhubarb-cinnamon sticks. Sounds good! About the same here as there. One of my grandsons told me the other day that he loved to play outside (he is a budding entomologist at 10 years old), but it was just too hot to be outside--it was 64 F. He'll play outside at -25 F, though. I, too, have a big fire pit, and am waiting for a good day to light it when I will be home all day to watch it. It is pretty dry, and there are between 50 and 100 fires burning across the state; not many near human habitation, though, and most caused by lightning. I just got rid of a couple of our old bath tubs that we used for livestock watering since we don't have large livestock any more. One of them I had insulated and used with a heater. The guy I gave them to is setting up an aquaculture system.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:24 AM

The last couple days we've had showers come through late overnight and real early morning. Woke up about 4 am to thunder and now at 7 am it looks like it's winding down. Though it doesn't look like we got very much rain out of it. Problem may be this afternoon when they say it should get to 99. I'm thinking the rain, what little we got, will add a lot of humidity to the air.

Hoping the weather will straighten out a bit later this week so I can spend a night or two out at the camper. These late night storms have usually come through with some strong winds, which has led to some damage each time. One of the campers at the lake had a branch fall on his camper after one of the storms last week. So between that and temps in the mid to upper 90s all the time, I'm waiting for better weather to do my camping.

Did take my youngest daughter, her husband and two boys to the lake yesterday. The oldest grandson is 4 and wanted to go fishing. I managed to get him a small bluegill for his first fish, which he thought was neat. But then he caught his first bass, and after three of those he was hooked.

Learning to use a new phone. With three kids always needing the newest I think my first cell phone back in 97 was the only one I bought. After that I just took hand me downs from one of the kids. Well my oldest daughter and her husband each got new a I phone 8X, so I got my daughter's old I phone 6. Now not totally understanding everything about I phones, I believe it is an I phone 6X, which means it's bigger then the normal I Phone. At least it's big enough even I can see the screen clearly. But it's also huge when I wear it on my belt, that will take some getting used to.

I didn't have internet on my old phone, so now I'll have internet access while at the lake, which means if there's a cloud coming up I can check radar to see if I need to get the boat off the lake. It should also be good when camping at the lake to see what's happening.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PsizexVJbXu9qC339

Last edited by hunter88; 06-10-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:53 PM

Good photo, Hunter! Enjoy the Summer!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 PM

79 and sunny here

I've been working on cutting down the massive amounts of saplings that have sprouted up around my little place.

Cutting up fabric for a quilt I'm going to make and just generally keeping busy.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Big thunderstorms just came through. Got some pea and marble size hail, but sounds like others got it a lot worse.

With the cold front coming through, it's suppose to be nicer the next two days. Lower temps, mid 80, less humidity, and light north wind. With that in mind I'm heading to the lake in the morning to fish. Coming home for a bit after lunch, then going back to spend the night and fish before sundown, and again early the next morning. Heat will come back the next day so I will head back home to the AC.